PDA

View Full Version : Official 2008 "Nissan" Skyline GTR News Release

Xtrema
04-12-2006, 08:55 AM
Global One Voice (Los Angeles)
GOV060412LA:088

Nissan Announces No. American Sales Channel for GT-R

At 8:30 AM on April 12, Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. President and CEO Carlos Ghosn will announce that the next generation of Nissan’s renowned GT-R performance car will be available in North America and badged as a Nissan consistent with its global branding. The announcement will be made during Mr. Ghosn’s remarks at the IMPA (International Motor Press Association) media breakfast to kick off the New York Auto Show. The GT-R, which was previewed in concept form as the GT-R PROTO has not previously been offered for sale in North America. The GT-R will debut in production form at the 2007 Tokyo Motor Show. It is scheduled to go on sale in Japan in Fall 2007, followed by the U.S. and Canada in Spring 2008. More details on the launch of the GT-R will be available at a later date.

This information will be released via Business Wire at 8:30 AM EDT along with a previously released photo of the GT-R PROTO concept that debuted at last year’s Tokyo Motor Show. This information is embargoed until 8:45 AM, April 12.

More info probably will trickle down during the day. I guess your deposit goes to Nissan dealers and not Infiniti.

benyl
04-12-2006, 09:07 AM
The way it should be.

Aleks
04-12-2006, 09:09 AM
A left hand drive skyline. Finally!

Sorath
04-12-2006, 09:13 AM
makes no sense... cause the skyline is still an infiniti and the gtr is a nissan... not that it matters

Genjuro
04-12-2006, 07:31 PM
but will it come to Canada? ;)

luderollup
04-12-2006, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Genjuro
but will it come to Canada? ;)

yes... thats why it said Japan in 2007 and Canada and The USA in 2008.. whats so hard to understand :dunno:

01RedDX
04-12-2006, 11:27 PM

Genjuro
04-13-2006, 12:20 AM
^ no sorry i just missread that part of the news release.

Crymson
04-13-2006, 08:55 AM
I was down at Hyatt Infinity in Calgary a few weeks ago looking at the g35's there. The sales guy already has 3 buyers with an undisclosed deposit on the 2008 GTR and they're likely only to get about 6, probably 20-30 for all of Canada.

Sticker he said, is going to be somewhere over 100k.

Xtrema
04-13-2006, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Crymson
I was down at Hyatt Infinity in Calgary a few weeks ago looking at the g35's there. The sales guy already has 3 buyers with an undisclosed deposit on the 2008 GTR and they're likely only to get about 6, probably 20-30 for all of Canada.

Sticker he said, is going to be somewhere over 100k.

Time to ask for a refund as Infiniti ain't getting them. Nissan is. Early estimate is $50K USD, so about $70K CDN.

donz
04-17-2006, 04:09 PM
where did you get the price of ~70g CDN? it sounds like a good deal, as the r34 seemed to be in the higher end of the Nissan lineup. I would have thought the price would be in the upper end of the 90g since production numbers are low.

Also, the "Skyline" name isn't coming over right? I read before that it will be called the GTR. The G35 will still be an infiniti.

Hollywood
04-17-2006, 10:48 PM
It should be an infinity for 1 reason.

Nissan stealerships do not know how to handle a buyer spending over 60k cad for a car. Infinity stealerships are more suited for the bigger spenders, service and sales wise.

Xtrema
04-18-2006, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Hollywood
It should be an infinity for 1 reason.

Nissan stealerships do not know how to handle a buyer spending over 60k cad for a car. Infinity stealerships are more suited for the bigger spenders, service and sales wise.

That's what I think should fit better as well. But I guess the styling of the GTR doesn't fit the sexy Infiniti profile.

where did you get the price of ~70g CDN? it sounds like a good deal, as the r34 seemed to be in the higher end of the Nissan lineup. I would have thought the price would be in the upper end of the 90g since production numbers are low.

$50USD was an early insider estimate as really nobody knows for sure how much it would cost. But being a Nissan would also mean it won't be crazy expensive. And if you looks hard enough, the new GTR is just another 350Z with AWD and twin turbo. So $20K over the top model 350Z is that far fetched.

bituerbo
04-18-2006, 10:39 AM
I thought they were not going with a turbo model GT-R for this production run.

:dunno:

Xtrema
04-18-2006, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by bituerbo
I thought they were not going with a turbo model GT-R for this production run.

:dunno:

Rumor to be a twin turbo of the VQ with displacement anywhere bettween 3.5L to 3.8L.

crazydriver
04-18-2006, 10:34 PM
lets hope its a TT motor, that alone justifies the price

Hollywood
04-19-2006, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Rumor to be a twin turbo of the VQ with displacement anywhere bettween 3.5L to 3.8L.

I hate when good rumors get soiled. Like the original claim of twin turbo or twin super charged v8 awd.

Zephyr
04-23-2006, 11:23 PM
http://www.nissanusa.com/gt-r/

:D

BerserkerCatSplat
04-23-2006, 11:34 PM
I do believe that states we'll be getting it in Canada! :D

RickDaTuner
04-23-2006, 11:38 PM
gaah... this whole waiting game again...hmmm i wonder if i should dive in for the 2009 production run or wait another year fro them to get the bugs out??

oh decisions decisions...

haha, or maybe i should just not let this car get the better of me and buy myself a House... maybe make some kids..

haha.... NAH!!!!

well I should go talk to the local Nissan dealer....

Hollywood
04-26-2006, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
gaah... this whole waiting game again...hmmm i wonder if i should dive in for the 2009 production run or wait another year fro them to get the bugs out??

oh decisions decisions...

haha, or maybe i should just not let this car get the better of me and buy myself a House... maybe make some kids..

haha.... NAH!!!!

well I should go talk to the local Nissan dealer....

If they do it right, im in. But infinity quality was kind of shitty in the first run of G35's.....

pinoyhero
05-05-2006, 06:11 AM
Shit yeah, i will be hutning one of these in 2010 once they drop off in price and someused ones are out there.

Xtrema
05-05-2006, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Hollywood

If they do it right, im in. But infinity quality was kind of shitty in the first run of G35's.....

That's slowly changing as Nissan is profitable again.

Hakkola
05-06-2006, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

That's slowly changing as Nissan is profitable again.

Companies usually make cost cuts to become more profitable, that's what Chrysler did, Mercedes did, etc... It usually takes a few years for the company to get back to making quality cars.

Basically what I'm saying is that quality has nothing to do with profits.

blitz
05-06-2006, 10:37 AM
^^^^ I think Nissan become profitable by sharing components between vehicles. VQ engine in everything, altering the same platform for numerous vehicles, brakes etc.

cripson
05-14-2006, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by blitz
^^^^ I think Nissan become profitable by sharing components between vehicles. VQ engine in everything, altering the same platform for numerous vehicles, brakes etc.

good testing and stric on production quality, The big man behind this is the nissan ceo of N-america.(ford wants to meet him) This is exactly what ford is trying to do. I know this cause family member used to work at ford, test a lot of nissan engines and transmisson. and ford was partner with nissan in the 90s, like the Villager, awsome car, can go to 300kkm with minium problem. The big saver is the Z and g35 and altima (car of the yr) Design is the key back up with oldschool nissan quality:)

01RedDX
08-12-2006, 11:00 PM

Hollywood
08-13-2006, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by blitz

Too bad they did not bring the s15 silvia, the best car ever made in that price range. nissan=idiots for that.

pinoyhero
08-13-2006, 01:08 PM
Just re-raed this thread and some of the attachments, I love this car!

heavyD
08-15-2006, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
Just re-raed this thread and some of the attachments, I love this car!

LOL. Nissan could make a 2-door RWD Sentra, add a V6 and call it a Skyline, charge $80K and the legion of Skyline & Nissan fanboys would line up with their pocketbooks. Seriously how can you love a car that nobody has even driven in a near finished state? You can say it looks promising or you love the design but how can you love it?:rolleyes:

spyce
08-15-2006, 01:08 PM
I think it looks pretty decent actually. Minus the carbon fibre pieces on the front bumper.
Probably looks really sexy in black

403Gemini
08-15-2006, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

LOL. Nissan could make a 2-door RWD Sentra, add a V6 and call it a Skyline, charge $80K and the legion of Skyline & Nissan fanboys would line up with their pocketbooks. Seriously how can you love a car that nobody has even driven in a near finished state? You can say it looks promising or you love the design but how can you love it?:rolleyes:

lol no kidding hey

did you guys say 90k for this car? it better wipe my ass and have over 500 hp lol

LUCKYSTRIKE
08-15-2006, 02:44 PM
God this car is pure sex, is there any word on an MSRP? Or is it to early for that.

lewdvig
08-15-2006, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

lol no kidding hey

did you guys say 90k for this car? it better wipe my ass and have over 500 hp lol

You and heavyD are guilty of doing the exact same thing in reverse.

And BTW 403Gemini, if you are old enough to drive it is probably time for you to learn how to wipe your own ass.

Lo)2enz0
08-15-2006, 05:57 PM
i think this car is going to be a disappointment. it has been hyped up so much. plus i am not down with the whole v6 thing. the skyline is known for having the bad boy rb26, how can they change that...

whatever, i am in no way excited for this car

watch all the sr20 boys kick this skylines ass...

lewdvig
08-15-2006, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Lo)2enz0
i think this car is going to be a disappointment. it has been hyped up so much. plus i am not down with the whole v6 thing. the skyline is known for having the bad boy rb26, how can they change that...

whatever, i am in no way excited for this car

watch all the sr20 boys kick this skylines ass...

I can't imagine the VQ being as strong as the rb26 but you never know. With S2000s showing on eBay for $20k CDN I can't see myself ever owning one of these. There are some great cars out there that won't break the bank.

heavyD
08-15-2006, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by lewdvig

:confused: I'm sure it will be a fantastic performing car but it will also be priced in a territory of higher end cars that will have just as much capability and a badge that carries a bit more panache than Nissan or Infinity. If they could have priced it closer to the STI or EVO then I may get a bit excited but at that price forget it.

lewdvig
08-15-2006, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

:confused: I'm sure it will be a fantastic performing car but it will also be priced in a territory of higher end cars that will have just as much capability and a badge that carries a bit more panache than Nissan or Infinity. If they could have priced it closer to the STI or EVO then I may get a bit excited but at that price forget it.

Dude, like you said: Until it is on a lot with a sticker and it is driven we can only discuss how it looks.

There are going to be two spec levels accoridng to someone that I know at Nissan. We'll see what shakes out.

My hunch is that Nissan will release this cheaper than what they will eventually sell for after a year - like they always do. I am going to say $59k and $69k for the two price points. But that is just wild speculation.

H4LFY2nR
08-15-2006, 09:19 PM

I can't imagine the VQ being as strong as the rb26 but you never know.

I read that it will be based on the twin turbo VQs from the Super GT Z33s. They've been using the turboed Zs for a few years now so there should be a wealth of information available to Nissan on how to get 500hp from the VQ and where the weaknesses are.

Hollywood
08-15-2006, 10:03 PM

Dude, like you said: Until it is on a lot with a sticker and it is driven we can only discuss how it looks.

There are going to be two spec levels accoridng to someone that I know at Nissan. We'll see what shakes out.

My hunch is that Nissan will release this cheaper than what they will eventually sell for after a year - like they always do. I am going to say $59k and $69k for the two price points. But that is just wild speculation.

I agree. The new supra might have a role is what the end car turns out to be as well as the price.

Originally posted by H4LFY2nR

I read that it will be based on the twin turbo VQs from the Super GT Z33s. They've been using the turboed Zs for a few years now so there should be a wealth of information available to Nissan on how to get 500hp from the VQ and where the weaknesses are.

I would also cry if nissan used the VQ. They add all this hype and fancy engineering feats with motors but look at the QR25DE in the spec V. Had all this fancy engineering and still turned out to be a engine with problems in the design.

Nissan is trying to hard to be honda motor engineers, they just need to stick to what they know, which is turbo, strong non-fancy engines with components ment to take a turbo's beating, and turbo....:thumbsup:

lewdvig
08-15-2006, 10:38 PM
and don't forget the TURBO

;)

95EagleAWD
08-15-2006, 11:03 PM
I can't seem to get excited about such an ugly car.

For a hundred grand, it should look nice, not just be fast.

I'm interested in what this thing is gonna weigh as well. The pictures make it look HUGE... let's hope that's not the case.

403Gemini
08-16-2006, 08:37 PM

And BTW 403Gemini, if you are old enough to drive it is probably time for you to learn how to wipe your own ass.

haha wow that certainly came out of nowhere. im sorry if i stepped on your toes. I can find a much better way of spending 100k. id rather own a z06.

Im not saying the car wont be crazy fast, but alot of that price is for the name. lets face is, the skyline was always a "tuner car" and as said in another therad in the general section, tuner cars shouldnt cost THAT MUCH MONEY! that is competing with porsches and mercedes in price, and honestly, id rather own one of those as well.

The point of tuner cars is to see what you can get OUT of it for a good budget. 100k made me almost choke seeing that $$$. lets face it, you could get a clean 91 gt-r imported here and make it pretty fucking quick for well under half the price of the new gt-r's.

they'll sell, yes, but not as much as they would if they made them more affordable (even if that meant knocking off some hp ;) ) lets face it, nissan and toyota are probably the least inspiring car manufacturers our right now (not including infinity and lexus of course). toyota, if you're not looking at the new camrys or a corolla xrs there really is nothing "sporty". Nissan, unless you get a spec-v or a Z there really isnt anything to get excited about.