PDA

View Full Version : Real Estate Question.

RawB8figure
04-12-2006, 12:20 PM
Looking to purchase a townhouse or condo.
How do I find out where they are planning to build new ones. So I can purchase before they are built.
thanks

sputnik
04-12-2006, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by RawB8figure
Looking to purchase a townhouse or condo.
How do I find out where they are planning to build new ones. So I can purchase before they are built.
thanks

Be careful if you get in at a decent price on a new building that is in the EARLY stages of development... if prices skyrocket during construction you will end up losing your condo, getting your deposit back and be forced to buy it back at an inflated price.

Its far safer to find a unit in a building that is already well into construction.

topmade
04-12-2006, 01:05 PM
Talk to a realator, and get a few of them to search for you and you will probably be disspointed in the outcome as it's hard to find anything right now. But I would say just call up all the realators you can to get them to start searching for you.

red01
04-12-2006, 01:07 PM
here is a condo list: http://www.buildcalgary.com/showthread.php?t=25

there are two popular units opening in the downtown district this month ...

D. Dub
04-12-2006, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by topmade
Talk to a realator, and get a few of them to search for you and you will probably be disspointed in the outcome as it's hard to find anything right now. But I would say just call up all the realators you can to get them to start searching for you.

HRD2PLZ is a really good realtor here on Beyond.:thumbsup:

Cypresskilla
04-12-2006, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by topmade

Topmade are you a Realtor. I'm pretty sure your not because if you were the last thing you would do is tell him to find as many Realtors as possible. speaking from experience the worst thing is finding out after putting hours of work in for a customer that they have several Realtors doing the same thing and you end up wasting your time and money if they purchase with someone else. All Realtors in Calgary have access to the same amount of listing because of a little something called the MLS. not the one open to the public but the one that only Realtors that are licenced with CREB can see. So giving him advice like that is what turns Realtors into pricks because they get jerked around by someone doing that. Next time think before you give someone an advice on something you know nothing about jackass.:thumbsup:

Celica TVS3
04-12-2006, 08:46 PM
^ I would get a couple of realtors. You might as well make them work for your business. Maybe one realtor will be watching one area closer than another so he/she will recognize a deal while the other passes it over. Obvously, don't tell the realtors you have got two working the case.

Why are you looking to buy a unit with the possesion date so far out? Is this an merely an investment or are you just trying to delay possesion untill you graduate...?

As Sputnik said you've got to be cautious about getting into a project too early. There are numerous cases of the developer voiding the contract and reselling at higher rates - arguably to justify increased building costs. They'll give you the first right of refusal at the new price.

A friend was building who was building with Streetside Developments had that happen to him.

D. Dub
04-12-2006, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Celica TVS3
^ I would get a couple of realtors. You might as well make them work for your business. Maybe one realtor will be watching one area closer than another so he/she will recognize a deal while the other passes it over. Obvously, don't tell the realtors you have got two working the case.

Don't you think thats kinda scuzzy?

Celica TVS3
04-12-2006, 08:59 PM
NO!

Why put all your faith into one realtor when he might not be working hard for you. Sure if you have an established relationship with one that you trust use him/her. But if you're just calling people out of the blue...

The realtor that does the best job, ie. finds what you're looking for the quickest, gets the commision. Sounds reasonable to me.

Cypresskilla
04-12-2006, 09:06 PM

Why are you looking to buy a unit with the possesion date so far out? Is this an merely an investment or are you just trying to delay possesion untill you graduate...?

As Sputnik said you've got to be cautious about getting into a project too early. There are numerous cases of the developer voiding the contract and reselling at higher rates - arguably to justify increased building costs. They'll give you the first right of refusal at the new price.

A friend was building who was building with Streetside Developments had that happen to him.

Wow:eek: There are alot of sleazy people on here. Celica do you like it when people jerk you around at work? So why would you do it to someone else. A good Realtor does not leave out any areas because they search with a more specific criteria. for example: the customer can spend $200k, they need atleast 1200Sq ft with 3 bedrooms and a Garage. this way you can search for all listings that fit this description without choosing one specific area to search, unless thats what they want. You and Topmade should join a club for assholes:thumbsup:

benyl
04-12-2006, 09:08 PM
ok, how about this Celica TVS3. (assuming that you work for someone).

You boss comes to you with a project. Says do this and do that. He also goes to a colleague and tells him the same thing.

Both of you go at it. The first one to finish, gets to keep his job and gets the money. The other not only doesn't get paid, but loses his job.

How is that for perspective.

There are so many realtors out there right now, they ALL have to work hard for your business. they aren't going to sit on their asses.

D. Dub
04-12-2006, 09:10 PM
NO!

Why put all your faith into one realtor when he might not be working hard for you. Sure if you have an established relationship with one that you trust use him/her. But if you're just calling people out of the blue...

The realtor that does the best job, ie. finds what you're looking for the quickest, gets the commision. Sounds reasonable to me.

I prefer to have honest and upfront relationships with the people I do business with.

Cypresskilla
04-12-2006, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by benyl
ok, how about this Celica TVS3. (assuming that you work for someone).

You boss comes to you with a project. Says do this and do that. He also goes to a colleague and tells him the same thing.

Both of you go at it. The first one to finish, gets to keep his job and gets the money. The other not only doesn't get paid, but loses his job.

How is that for perspective.

There are so many realtors out there right now, they ALL have to work hard for your business. they aren't going to sit on their asses.

So true:thumbsup:

shawtie
04-12-2006, 09:16 PM
thats mean to do, just do buisness with one person!!

red01
04-12-2006, 11:17 PM
It really depends on what your plan is with the unit.

Many people are "flipping" condos but new units now have clauses that prevent any transactions until the owner has taken over the home. Pending on location .... your looking at about 300-400 $/sq feet ....

Lighthouse Landing has just opened.
http://www.buildcalgary.com/showthread.php?t=46

Weapon_R
04-12-2006, 11:30 PM
There is absolutely no need for 2 realtors. All realtors have the same (excellent) system for finding a home. You give them your criteria [budget, preferred areas, etc] and they will find you EVERY listing through mlxchange.

Again, there is no need for 2 realtors. Hiring two is a little unfair as there is no advantages that one good realtor has over another.

Celica TVS3
04-13-2006, 12:08 AM
I’m sorry that’s the nature of commission sales. If the buyers agent finds what the buyer is looking for he gets the commission. If realtors want the commitment of a one on one relationship they can choose to act solely as a sellers’ agent. As far as I’m concerned it’s no different than playing two car dealers at two dealerships against one another to get the best deal – except you’re not looking for the best deal you’re looking for the best match.

No it’s not necessary to have two agents combing over the listings on your behalf but as I stated not all realtors follow listings in communities equally. Sure they can search by criteria but one realtor may not know a deal when he sees it because he isn’t as familiar with that particular area or home type. At the very least you will find out which realtor you like better and fire the other without losing time searching for houses.

Think of it this way. You’re a business owner in an environment where there is an abundance of labour. You’re seeking an individual for a contract sales position. You get two applicants but, instead of employing just one, decide to give both a chance. The first one to make a sale gets the commission while the laggard has to look for employment elsewhere.

If you solicit a realtor to help find a house for you at least you’re giving them a chance to earn your respect and business, especially in a market as tight as Calgary’s.

Maybe I’m way off base, but I don’t see a moral problem with it.

HRD2PLZ
04-13-2006, 10:57 AM
If your a serious buyer any good Realtor will work hard for you. I don't think it would be right to work with two and see which one is working better for you. Much better to build a good relationship with one. This is a crazy market, and everyone from Realtors to Mortgage Brokers to Lawyers to Home Inspectors are all extremely busy. Any professional you decide to work with will most definitely make sure you look after you.

moeman
04-13-2006, 05:00 PM
Agreed. These are people that are going to be helping you find a new home, so you should at least give them some respect and if you're not happy, just move along to another. They don't make money off of you, they make it off the seller. So don't screw them around. It's kinda like dating 3 girls and telling them all that they're "The One" when you're really only testing each one out to figure out which one you like best. Not a nice thing to do, and to even suggest that it's OK speaks volumes about someone's level of maturity.

So what I've found is that you're sometimes not as well served when you use someone with lots of clients because they simply cannot spend the amount of time with you that you would like. They can be spread too thin. Someone just starting out can be much better when looking for a place because they may only have a couple of clients and so can dedicate themselves to you a bit more. That has been one of the biggest complaints I've heard from propective clients. Their realtor was too busy to bring them to homes to see or to open house the one they're trying to sell. They really want someone who is going to put their clients' needs first, and that isn't always the person with the most signs on the lawns.

D. Dub
04-13-2006, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by moeman
Agreed. These are people that are going to be helping you find a new home, so you should at least give them some respect and if you're not happy, just move along to another. They don't make money off of you, they make it off the seller. So don't screw them around. It's kinda like dating 3 girls and telling them all that they're "The One" when you're really only testing each one out to figure out which one you like best. Not a nice thing to do, and to even suggest that it's OK speaks volumes about someone's level of maturity.

So what I've found is that you're sometimes not as well served when you use someone with lots of clients because they simply cannot spend the amount of time with you that you would like. They can be spread too thin. Someone just starting out can be much better when looking for a place because they may only have a couple of clients and so can dedicate themselves to you a bit more. That has been one of the biggest complaints I've heard from propective clients. Their realtor was too busy to bring them to homes to see or to open house the one they're trying to sell. They really want someone who is going to put their clients' needs first, and that isn't always the person with the most signs on the lawns.

I've always found if you treat people with respect and honour you almost always get it back in spades.

TrevorK
04-15-2006, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
There is absolutely no need for 2 realtors. All realtors have the same (excellent) system for finding a home. You give them your criteria [budget, preferred areas, etc] and they will find you EVERY listing through mlxchange.

Again, there is no need for 2 realtors. Hiring two is a little unfair as there is no advantages that one good realtor has over another.

Not necessarily true.

When my parents sold their first place, they sold it before it hit the market through an agent in the same office as their realtor. Our realtor talked to this realtor, his clients came through, and boom, it was sold.

Further, they purchased their next house before it hit the market as well, because the agent that sold their house was going to put it up as a listing.

Neither of these would have occured as quickly as they did with another agent. Now, I'm not saying to use 2 agents (As I don't think that's considered acceptable), but I am saying that two agents can actually have access to listings the other doesn't.