PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Maintenance

Sky
04-12-2006, 10:23 PM
any recommendation on a good lawn maintenance company?

I need the total package.
Spring Clean up-Power rake, aerate, mow and trim

Summer lawn cutting weekly or bi-weekly?

Fertilizing Programs

Insect Control (Last year my entire lawn was infested with tiny bugs that hops all over the place)

I have an underground sprinkler system which hasn't been touched for couple years. Is there a place to pick up replacement spray heads? would be better if there is a company that fixes up the system one time.

Ben
04-12-2006, 10:56 PM
I thought I'd mow a lawn for a few bucks a few years back, didn't have anything to do, figured I'd help out the CEO...yeah, got owned.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=906

Hire large scale from now on. hahaha.

Now I know why our family friends have a bunch fo staff (McKenzie Lake Landscaping).

cycosis
04-13-2006, 12:30 PM
try ULS (united landscpaing service) they always have hot girls working. also if u want try peter hughe's landscaping, i worked there last summer

Sky
04-13-2006, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by cycosis
try ULS (united landscpaing service) they always have hot girls working. also if u want try peter hughe's landscaping, i worked there last summer

Rage2 would be interested in ULS for sure!

HRD2PLZ
04-13-2006, 03:59 PM
We have Peter Hughe's Landscaping looking after our property :thumbsup:

Vagabond142
04-13-2006, 04:28 PM
I work for ULS, which is actually University Lawn Services before the ULS just became the moniker for ULS Landscaping and Maintenance. Rest assured, I work for the fertilizing/weedkiller division, which is an extended care service, so your lawn is safe from me :devil:. For lawn care, you want to talk to Mike Duffey at ULS (235-5353, ask to talk to Mike Duffey if the secretary doesn't have your answers) and he'll set you up.

General info:

I worked last september on a lawn crew, and I can tell you that services range from simple cut with no bag (ie open mulch on the lawn) which includes weedeatering (if that's a word) around the trim, up to large scale lawn and garden maintenance programs (we mow with the bags on, trim, the bed crew comes out and weeds your flower gardens for you, the fertilizer crew (ME!) comes out and makes sure your grass is green and healthy). We also do spot checks for infections (like the huge wave of leafhopper that hit calgary last year) and can have people out to fix those too.

I think (DO NOT QUOTE ME ON THIS) that the basic summer mowing package is between $100-$225 depending on level of service requested. That includes four months of mowing. I **THINK** that you can also buy the mowing and fertlizing together as a package.

And I can confirm that most of the lawn crews and ALL of the bed crews are females, most of them good looking :bigpimp: Us fertlizers are usually 50/50 male/female.

Also, if you have trees that you want watered by us (usually only commercial clients want this, but I did a couple of private residences last year with Big Bertha (the massive MASSIVE watering truck we have), that's an extended service you can request. Driving Big Bertha is fun! Has a twin turbo mini-cat in it that can haul the beast, fully loaded, to 80 kph from a standstill in a little under 8 seconds. Those turbos hit HARD :D

Sky: to answer your questions on a per item basis:

Spring Clean up-Power rake, aerate, mow and trim

Yes, ULS does all that, although it's getting a little late in the month for getting things done this month. Ask the secretary at ULS who to talk to about that (most likely Duff-man)

Summer lawn cutting weekly or bi-weekly?

Fertilizing Programs

Hell, the bottom part of that is my JOB :thumbsup: I think our cuts are biweekly, as we have... hmm... 8 lawn trucks (?). Maybe more. And about 300 clients in the city limits alone, some of them with lawns that take a full morning to mow (believe me, some of the places in Mt Royal have BIG LAWNS o_O!)

As for fertilizing programs, the STANDARD package is pellets and backpack weedspray 1st month, two months liquid combo (fert and weedkiller in suspension sprayed over your lawn), then 4th months is pellets and backpack weedspray.

If you're environmentally conscious, we do offer organic fertlizer for all 4 months, as well as the choice to not have weedspray. The organic fertlizer, unfortunately for me, is dried, shredded and iron-reinforced turkey shit :\ But it does the same job.

You can also have pellets all four months, alternating (pellets, spray, pellets, spray). Basically, the program is pretty flexible to meet your needs

Insect Control (Last year my entire lawn was infested with tiny bugs that hops all over the place)

Those little hoppy bugs were part of the leafhopper infestation from last year. If you have extended concerns about that, call ULS (235-5353) and ask to talk to Paul Atkinson. He's my department manager and one of the company experts on flora-based insects and diseases.

I have an underground sprinkler system which hasn't been touched for couple years. Is there a place to pick up replacement spray heads? would be better if there is a company that fixes up the system one time.

I would talk to our landscaping department about that. I've seen irrigation line in huge spools as the shop before, but we might subcontract (a lot of the bigger companies do) for irrigation installation/repair.

Basically, call and ask :D 235-5353