PDA

View Full Version : spotted mr2 convertible?? anyone else see this thing

Gravy_83
04-13-2006, 09:56 AM
white wide body mr2 convertible. like the style from the states. had grey doors on it and carbon fibre hood. looks like it's about ready to be painted??? someone should have pics of this somewhere's??

Gravy_83
04-13-2006, 09:57 AM
oh and forgot to add spotted it on McCloud trail on wednesday at around 3ish or 1sh sometime in the afternoon

dj_honda
04-13-2006, 10:13 AM
maybe its the car from this thread that everyone was ragging on lol...

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=120037

M_K_3
04-13-2006, 10:17 AM
pics?

Pihsiak
04-13-2006, 10:17 AM
this guy?

MR-S allowed in Canada?
http://www.5di.ca/pics/carpics/c2.jpg

Gravy_83
04-13-2006, 10:23 AM
anyone else see this thing tearin up the streets

Pihsiak
04-13-2006, 11:17 AM
Not sure if this link is gonna work

My brother showed me this thread last night
the MR-S is a project car of this guys who is rebuilding it from the ground up

http://forums.c7performance.com/showthread.php?t=11979

make sure you got tissues to wipe up the drool

ProjectR
04-13-2006, 11:19 AM
cooool an mr-s...don't see too many of those in town

C4S
04-13-2006, 12:21 PM
I saw one last week, may be a 2-3 yr old MR-S :dunno:

But not as ulgy as that white/carbon/grey one.

It is a stock on, dark grey colour, with Alberta plate .. but I didnt' take pic, it was nite time. :dunno:

guessboi
04-13-2006, 12:23 PM
I thought they don't allow the newer MR2s in Canada!

crazyning
04-13-2006, 12:33 PM
The guy built it from scratch - I think thats why it's legal.

The car is legally registerd as a home built not as a mr2.

War
04-13-2006, 02:04 PM
That is my ride, it's suppose to go in Monday april 17th to the paint/body shop to get finished. It'll be in the body/paint shop for 3-4 weeks I'm told.

Gravy_83, when you spotted me I was on my way back from picking up the car from having the roll bar put in. That is only the 2nd day that car has been out on public roads.

The car hasn't been driven much, it just got registered last week, and the engine isn't tuned yet. The only reason why this one is legal here is because I built this car from the frame up and replaced or modified almost everything on the car. It's so modified that it's no longer legally considered a mr2, it's now got it's own vin and registered as a "home built". It'll be about a year and a half since I started the project by the time it's done (end of may), and then it still won't be completely done as I still need to do up some of the interior. After doing this project I now understand why amost no one does this, the project took way more time and money then I thought it would.

Gravy_83
04-13-2006, 02:10 PM
so do you live around sundance or something I would love to see this thing in person

War
04-13-2006, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Gravy_83
so do you live around sundance or something I would love to see this thing in person

I live in (sp?) area, I was over in that area because I needed to pick up some parts at canyon creek toyota and fill up with some 94 at the husky across from shawnessy, the gas tank is small and I needed a fill after driving back from Didsbury which is where the shop was that did the roll bar (thanks Derik).

I'm actually about to take the rear 1/2 of the body kit off the car and jack it up so that I can prime and paint the inside the engine bay, behind the 1/4 panels, and under the car where they welded the plates in for the roll bar. I'll also be covering the rest of the car with a tarp so it doesn't get over spray, and hopeflully get a chance to paint the roll bar today as well.

So right now isn't actually a good time to see the car, I just have to rush to do this because I have to have it done for the paint shop on monday. And this weekend I'm helping a friend swap a new engine into his car, so most of this weekend will be wrenching on his car. Hopefully I'll have mine back together and ready for paint monday, but I'm not sure if I will.

I would say no problem to meeting up and seeing the car, but this weekend is just to busy, when the car is done I'll bring it to a beyond meet or something and you can check it out or we can meet up before then. Also it'll be at most of the CSCC solo 2 race events on the south end of the road course (but not at the oval events) as well as event 2, 3, and 4 of the solo 1 events.

James
04-13-2006, 02:58 PM
Nice MR-S, cant wait to see it finished!:thumbsup: ....Any Engine plans? turbo maybe?

dino_martini
04-13-2006, 04:08 PM
Ive seen a new"ish" MR2 with montana plates around. Its a grey one..pretty sweet.

Gravy_83
04-13-2006, 04:25 PM
nice I live in chaparal so not a far drive to see such a piece of art haha. I wish my civic would be ready for some solo racing this year but have to wait till next year. my rx7 was a wicked solo car but I sold it

max_boost
04-13-2006, 05:12 PM
Oh that's such a badd ass ride. Props to all the hard work. :thumbsup:

RickDaTuner
04-13-2006, 05:15 PM
i would remove your Neighbourhood names from your posts...

you can never be too carefull

euro_racer
04-13-2006, 05:57 PM
holly that is one crazy ride

MAJOR props to you man for this car, looks like it took a crazy ammount of time, patience, money, dedication, AND imagination all at once :bigpimp:

CryoCarnage
04-13-2006, 07:33 PM
i would actually have bought a mrs instead of my supra if they were legal here. for some reason i liked rwd AND reliability . haha

Hash_man
04-13-2006, 07:49 PM
wow, thats pretty damn cool... and those wheels have huuuge dish.

C4S
04-14-2006, 11:56 PM
:dunno:

Just within this week .. I saw a Black MR-S ( or very dark grey ) 3 times already ... but all at night .. I almost wanted to use my phone to take a pic .. but I didn't ..

It doesn't hv a front plate, and seems like Alberta plate .. right in Aspen Estate .. :dunno: may be next time I should take a pic ..

2002civic
04-15-2006, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by James
Nice MR-S, cant wait to see it finished!:thumbsup: ....Any Engine plans? turbo maybe?
if u clicked on the given link youd see that it is turboed...

Hakkola
04-15-2006, 01:34 PM
IMO, this Gen MR 2 is FUGLY, however, props to you because that looks like it was a hell of a lot of work AND you came out with a good looking product.

Car looks great! :thumbsup: I actually like it.

RB25DET
04-19-2006, 01:34 AM
That Gen 2 MR2 is wicked. Props to you for building it man!!! Now i hope to see you at the races this year making use of all those performance parts!!

dub_c
04-19-2006, 07:41 AM
Not sure if I like that wing on it, otherwise you're doing a good job.

frostyda9
04-19-2006, 11:01 PM
:love: If it were mine, I'd even out the ride height a little and consider using mesh with a slightly less coarse pattern, but other than that, I like everything.

Props on what was undoubtedly a LOT of work.

War
04-20-2006, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the compliments everyone.

Originally posted by frostyda9
:love: If it were mine, I'd even out the ride height a little and consider using mesh with a slightly less coarse pattern, but other than that, I like everything.

Props on what was undoubtedly a LOT of work.

The ride height will be changed, right now it's on the highest setting so that the shops can work on it easier. The suspension is JIC FLT-A2 coil-overs, the height, spring pre-load, and dampening is all independatly adjustable. The car height will be more even and the car will be lowered. Right now it's high enough that they can get the arms of a 2 point hoist under the sides without a problem.

As for the grills/wire mesh, I don't know what I'm going to do with those yet. I'm waiting for the car to get painted and then I'll have a harder look at them.

clem24
05-02-2006, 11:45 AM
I am still trying to figure out how this got into the country in the first place.

Correct me if I am wrong, but since it's on the "inadmissible" list, there is absolutely NO WAY to legally import the car, NOT EVEN AS A PARTS CAR, if title to the car was "clear".

The only way to bring the car in is if it was wrecked (and had a title other than "clear") and it was imported as parts only. In which case, it can never be registered using the VIN, which you obviously did.

I can't see how this is homebuilt if you still ended up with the basic chassis and all the other major things still on it, like your basic stock suspension arms, etc... I don't suppose you custom fabbed suspension arms and bumper beams...?

The only reason why I ask is because I almost wanted to buy a 96 MR2 Turbo that had landed on Canadian soil. The seller had another 96 that was fully licensed, and I had absolutely no clue how he did it legally. In the end, I smelled something fishy and went the other way.

schurchill39
05-02-2006, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by clem24
I am still trying to figure out how this got into the country in the first place.

Correct me if I am wrong, but since it's on the "inadmissible" list, there is absolutely NO WAY to legally import the car, NOT EVEN AS A PARTS CAR, if title to the car was "clear".

The only way to bring the car in is if it was wrecked (and had a title other than "clear") and it was imported as parts only. In which case, it can never be registered using the VIN, which you obviously did.

I can't see how this is homebuilt if you still ended up with the basic chassis and all the other major things still on it, like your basic stock suspension arms, etc... I don't suppose you custom fabbed suspension arms and bumper beams...?

The only reason why I ask is because I almost wanted to buy a 96 MR2 Turbo that had landed on Canadian soil. The seller had another 96 that was fully licensed, and I had absolutely no clue how he did it legally. In the end, I smelled something fishy and went the other way.

If you read the threads people posted it explains this all. He brought the chassis of the car here and pretty much everything from there was up was custom made. Only the "shell" was kept. Because of the extreme modification it is considered home built. Think of it as taking the body of a 1932 ford and making it into a hot rod. You change practically everything.

War
05-17-2006, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by clem24

Originally posted by schurchill39

If you read the threads people posted it explains this all. He brought the chassis of the car here and pretty much everything from there was up was custom made. Only the "shell" was kept. Because of the extreme modification it is considered home built. Think of it as taking the body of a 1932 ford and making it into a hot rod. You change practically everything.

what schurchill39 said.

Plus the original mr2 chassi was modified. The car doesn't carry a single part that wasn't either modified from the original, bough from some other after market manufature, used from a different car, or custom manufatured from scratch. I was in contact with goverment departments that are in charge of this stuff and found out what is/isn't legal. I talked it over with them before I did anything, I even was in contact with the boarder/customs agents and found out what I could import and what needed what kind of documentation/duty/etc. I did a lot of research and digging before I built this. It takes a lot of time and money to do it right and to do it legal, it's not easy.

The car is not registered under the frames original vin. It's been assigned a new vin number from the goverment. To get that vin number I had to show them reciepts, serial numbers, photo's of the build, and all sorts of other stuff to prove that the car qualified. The goverment agent arrived, I had already faxed in all the serial number for almost every part on the car (chassi, engine, tranny, doors, seats, wheels, roof, dash, etc, etc, you would not believe the list), he looked the car over, verified all the serial number on the car to be the correct ones that I faxed in, inspected it to make sure I did the work/modifications I clamed to. And once he was satisfied he gave me a new vin making the car offically/legally a home built car. The car not only has to be modified in parts/setup but also needs to be modified in appearance enough to be considered significantly different then the original car. It's not easy and it's legally/technically not a MR2, which brings up a question, at what point have you modded a car to such an extent that it's no longer considered that car?