PDA

View Full Version : How the hell does this happen?

arian_ma
04-14-2006, 02:21 PM
So I was driving yesterday, and I feel my car start so shake slightly. I pulled over and noticed that the back rear was a bit flat. Luckily there was a gas station about 2 blocks down and I went to fill up the tire. After trying to fill it up and nothing happening, thought maybe it's leaking. So I feel around the tire and I find this:

http://ourworld.cs.com/arianispersian/Rims+owned+002.jpg

http://ourworld.cs.com/arianispersian/Rims+owned+003.jpg

Now I gotta call up Falken to see if this warrants as a manufacturer's defect, so I can get a new tire.
:banghead:

schurchill39
04-14-2006, 02:25 PM
Looks like it was rubbing:dunno:

MIWYFSHOTTER
04-14-2006, 02:27 PM
happened to a friend of mine. Its obviously rubbing something. That isn't going to happen on its own. IS your car super low? If its lowered I would suggest turning the wheel and checking if its hitting something.

Primer_Drift
04-14-2006, 02:29 PM
Yup, possibly wrong offset if what you drive: is dangerously low.

nusneak
04-14-2006, 02:35 PM
I dont really see any signs of rubbing, but that sidewall shure did grenade :guns:

Vagabond142
04-14-2006, 03:42 PM
Looks like sidewall delamination :( I'd definitely give Falken a ring

CryoCarnage
04-14-2006, 05:06 PM
for me, i would never drive a car with so little rubber especially isnce mine is about 2 tons.

djayz
04-14-2006, 05:13 PM
could have burst while you were driving

that happened to me on deerfoot once the tire sidewall just exploded...luckily it was the back one so i didnt spin out but it was definately scary and dangerous.

your car might have bad camber wear on that side or you over inflated your tires from the get go.

Mikey_008
04-14-2006, 05:15 PM
MAJOR NEGATIVE CAMBER! Car is low!

I'm having the same problem!

.civictyper.
04-14-2006, 05:33 PM
Ariannnnnnnn, wtffff that sucks man. You car is sooo low. better check you clearances.

statick
04-14-2006, 07:42 PM
Sorry to hear about that man, hopefully Falken works something out with you.

snowboard
04-14-2006, 07:44 PM
thats the shits g..

theken
04-14-2006, 07:58 PM
thats bad, good luck on getting one from them

core_upt
04-14-2006, 08:00 PM
wow, same thing happened to my falkens!
rear tire, tear on side wall on inside of tire

liquidboi69
04-14-2006, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Mikey_008
MAJOR NEGATIVE CAMBER! Car is low!

I'm having the same problem!

Arian...I told you that you would have negative camber. I also said that you need your wheels aligned. That most likely happened because you recently lowered your car even more. If you lower more than ~ 1.5-2 inches...you will probably need alignment to fix the camber angle.

arian_ma
04-14-2006, 08:57 PM
This was on the back right guys, so there was no rubbing going on. Tire wear looks even so I don't think there was any major camber issues. I have not lowered the rear that much, the front of my car is "dangerously low", as in the coils won't go any lower, and I don't rub.
These wheels have a +45 offset and a +42 is recommended for my car, so that's not the issue either. As for signs of rubbage, well it's not like the tire wore down on that spot, it looks brand new everywhere, I don't know what happened but I'm guessing it's some sort of defect, or I'm hoping at least.

liquidboi69
04-14-2006, 09:03 PM
Well the tire was used when you got it. Mabey the guy ran them really hard. Whats max PSI on your rubber vs. what you inflated them to? Don't inflate them too much, warmer weather = gas expansion. 44PSI or w/e u told me before seems high. My tires can handle ~ 40 but it's only recommended that I inflate them to 32 in the instruction manual.

arian_ma
04-14-2006, 09:05 PM
Nope I bought them off of a very good guy and I am sure they were in excellent condition when I got them.

I inflated them to the point where it looked like the proper amount of tire was touching the ground. But that was about a month ago and the gas might have expanded, though I would expect the tire to blow up with a loud pop if it was over inflation issues. This kind of just started to happen.

EDIT: The 44 PSi I told you was the MAX for my winter tires.

Alpine Autowerks
04-14-2006, 10:46 PM
that is damage from driving on a deflated tire. ultra low profile tires give the driver almost no indication that they are flat.

the damage is what caused the shake...but I have seen that type of failure from just a few blocks of driving on a totaly empty tire.

you will not get warranty ...you might look into a inflation monitor system if you get a lot of punctures.

Lafantaisie
04-14-2006, 11:43 PM
I had the same issues last summer with one tire...looks EXACTLY like that....the car was mad low too some im guessing its a camber wear issue or something.

barbarian
04-15-2006, 08:02 PM
I looked this up on google--sometimes, due to a defect, a strip of rubber starts to come off the sidewall. When it gets long enough, it starts to catch on the wheel well, and then the whole thing comes apart very fast.

DC2
04-15-2006, 08:08 PM
ahhh my tires are like that. i have horrible negative camber!