PDA

View Full Version : *Moving to exotic RED DEER...help!

Godfuader
04-14-2006, 03:10 PM
So I just took up a job with HSBC Red Deer, and will be moving there by mid-may. The opportunity is amazing, the location not so much. I have no clue about the place other than the Tim Hortons on the highway. What am I looking for are rental costs? I guess a basement suite would be fine, as I would be in Calgary on the weekends and holidays. What is to do there? I assume the town to be relatively safe and uneventful. I'm guessing the town has its fair share of pubs and such, but what about like Gyms, malls, other entertainment, etc.
Do they have furnished places, or can you get them unfurnished. I plan on just having a bed, computer, desk, TV, PS2, microwave and a fork.

TIA

mike_papps
04-14-2006, 03:16 PM
Reddeer isnt that small.. im thinking your mistaken between reddeer and stratmore... I live in a smaller city of 60000 people and you can find everything here.. good supply of gyms, things to do.. and yeah.. way less crime and crap then calgary... as for rental costs... who knows.. if you want do some research... there has to be a rental agency there.. check www.whitepages.ca in reddeer for them.. they will give you an idea... where i live.. a rental place is anywhere from 350 for the dumps to 1200 for a house.. commonly its around 400-700 depending on size.. 1 bedroom would be 450ish.. remember damage deposit as well.. first month kills....

2.2vtec
04-14-2006, 03:44 PM
Hey I just had a job interview for a position in red deer! If I get it maybe we can be roommates :D PM me and let me know how your rent search is going!

Millsie
04-14-2006, 04:17 PM
I moved to Red Deer about 3 years ago and find it has all the amenities of Edmonton or Calgary, just in less smaller amounts. There are plenty of pubs, gyms, parks, stores and all that to keep your wallet smoking. As for rent, I had a nice renovated 2 bedroom apartment for $600 a month. It was close to downtown so I could rollerblade to work (I'm a CA) if I felt like it. I just found my apartment by using the Red Deer Advocate (local paper). Check their website, it has a pretty good listing. The only thing I'm not sure about is a furnished apartment.

Godfuader
04-14-2006, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Yeah, i guess i do have a preset notion about that place. Might head out there next weekend to see if i find any "For Rent" signs posted.

2.2vtec: When would you move out there?

Millsie: Thats an amazing price for a 2 bedroom. Right now just looking online, these one bedrooms are like $700.

Would '108-4909 49 St, Red Deer, AB ' be considered downtown? and are there any apartments right in the "core" i guess?
How far is sylvan lake, is it easily commutable to downtown red deer?

2.2vtec
04-14-2006, 06:48 PM
If i did get the job I would probably start sometime in may, either beginning or middle. I'm crossing my fingers right now.

Godfuader
04-14-2006, 07:02 PM
good stuff. what you applying for?

Millsie
04-14-2006, 07:07 PM
Sylvan is about a 20-30 min drive. Lots of people commute from Sylvan to RD to work, though you probably wont save on rent expense if thats your thought.

As to that address, that seems like downtown. Red deer is like edmonton, except 50th and 50th is downtown (Actually called Ross and Gaetz), but thats a little nuance of this place, just like the fact that street are East-West instead of North-South, goofy town planners.

There are two main areas for apartments, though honestly it amazed me how much rental property there is in town. Red Deer is a fairly transient town due to the oil boom. Near the hospital is one area, which I think is where that address is. Another common area is around 55th street and about 50-40th avenue, which is where I was. That area was a little cheaper, and the buildings were a lot smaller - which I liked as I don't like living in a hotel with long hallways. My old building was only 9 apartments. I would recommend those myself. Let me know if you need any more info- always happy to help out a fellow Celica owner.

Godfuader
04-14-2006, 07:45 PM
^^ Thanks Millsie. I assume 4909 49 St is a block away from 50th and 50th. I'm thinking the week of the 24th I will be down there checking the town out. Heres a question, is there a listing of Housing for people attending Red Deer College, probably find some deals there (although the school year is out) Or even if i could stay on Rez without being a student. The red deer advocate website has a decent listing for places to rent...will probably pay them a visit on the 24th. do you know anyone looking for a roommate?

Millsie
04-14-2006, 08:40 PM
Red Deer college is a little more active in the summer then most schools, so it may be worth a call to their housing/rez dept. I don't actually know of anyone looking at the moment, sorry. We've got some new people starting at my office in May, I will ask them when they show up, though that won't be for a few weeks or so.