PDA

View Full Version : Joint Review: 2006 VW Jetta 2.0T

A790
04-14-2006, 05:02 PM
This is a dual review. Vegabond and I have decided to joint-review select vehicles for Beyond's pleasure! Since different people have different driving styles we felt it gave beyonders as better representation of what the vehicle is like.

That said, enjoy the review!

I’ve always loved VW’s. I have always liked the Jetta, and absolutely fell in love with the last generation. It’s curves, it’s lines, it’s chemistry was all there. This one… well, I have mixed feelings to say the least.

INITIAL IMPRESSION

I don’t like how this Jetta looks. It looks cheap, and it seems as if they compromised on several of the areas that I used to really love. The rounded shape has given way to this oval…. thing. Whatever it is, I don’t like it.

The taillights and headlights have gone euro-style. That could be good or bad, depending on your taste. In my preference, it’s bad. Very bad, in fact. However, I am giving VW the benefit of the doubt. I loved last years 1.8T, and I’m hoping that the driving dynamics that were in that car found their way into the new, more powerful, 2.0T.

INSIDE THE CAR

The interior is roomy and very comfortable. The new centre console is a big plus, and the information display is clear and easy to operate. Take note BMW. Quality materials are strewn about, and I got the honest feeling that I was driving an upscale sedan. That’s good, given that it’s the segment VW’s shooting for.

One thing about this car is that there are little nooks and crannies everywhere for stuff. Lot’s of storage. As well, everything is one touch: from the sunroof, to the windows, to the trunk. I love it.

The doors open and close smoothly, and you are given a nice satisfying “thunk” when they shut. That’s a plus, as they don’t feel like aluminum cans. The centre console lets you know when a door is open, and which door it is. That’s a neat feature, for sure. The sunroof is one touch, and it’s my favorite design. Just turn the knob and it opens to the desired position.

The stock radio is pretty decent and should suit the average person or family no problem. Visibility is good, as is the seat comfort and ride position. I’m starting to lose my bias; I’m not going to lie… I might even like this car.

DRIVING THE CAR

I start the car and off I go. Literally, the turbo on this thing is so small it’s like having insta-spool. That’s a good or bad, depending on your tastes. For this type of car I think it’s good. The performance junkie would have to switch the turbo out for a bigger unit though.

The car get’s up and goes, definitely. 0-60 in 6 seconds I’m told. It certainly feels good, and I found myself mashing the throttle quite a bit. Torque steer comes in hard, however. The 200HP FWD motor definitely reminds you that you are not driving a touge-mobile. Engine response is right on, exactly where it should be, and it pulls nicely. Remember that you need to be in the right gear with a turbo however.

The suspension is good, but as usual, too soft. It needs to be a bit stiffer for my taste, which means that it’s exactly what the majority of the market wants. This car suits its segment of the market perfectly.

The car feels very solid when you are driving it, and is definitely confidence inspiring. That could be a bad thing, but it’s fine so long as you remember what car you are driving. This car tends to lean into the corners a bit, which might shake you a bit if you don’t know how to react to it. It almost seems as if this car would bite you hard if you had to make an emergency swerve.

The ride is pretty quiet, with the whistle of the turbo barely audible. Nothing that an intake can’t fix.

CONCLUSION

A good, solid entry from VW. This pays the Jetta homage with it’s driving style and personality. I just can’t seem to get past the looks, however. The last generation was so clean, whereas this car seems to have gone the way of the euro. That may appeal to some, just not me.

SCORING

Exterior: 2.5/5
Interior: 4.5/5
Roominess: 4/5
Drivability: 4/5
Overall: 4/5
Overall in segment: 4/5

CryoCarnage
04-14-2006, 05:04 PM
you guys forgot to put in price i nthis one. that will turn off a lot of users.

gpomp
04-14-2006, 05:06 PM
you guys should test drive and write reviews on member rides, haha.

Vagabond142
04-14-2006, 05:08 PM
I'm still spellchecking and editing my review, so I'll have it up in a couple of hours (gotta eat too! it's supper time :D)

Vagabond142
04-14-2006, 05:45 PM
The 2006 Jetta 2.0T
Base price: $27,700 As tested $30,000 (luxury package)

Edited Note: I refer to the "Central Information Display" in this car as the "navi screen," because that's what all these central computer thingies are now being called. While it may not actually BE a navigation unit, I've been told by the salesguy that a navigation option is forthcoming, so I'll leave my review wording as it is.

---------------

Well, I will honestly come out and say it, the only VW I've ever truly liked is the Phaeton, which is outside of 96% of everyone's budget for a daily driver. But, for the sake of this dual review, I have test driven the 2006 Jetta 2.0T

The little chrome across the front under the main grille is kinda cheesy, but also kinda classy at the same time. The car, lookswise, doesn't exactly stand up, wave its arms about screaming at you to look at it, but I think that is what the designers wanted. An understated, comfortable family car with a little pep to it.

The handling of the Jetta is nothing to write home about, but it also feels better than a bargain basement Kia, for example. Turn in was confident, but midcorner understeer did rattle the nerves a bit under sprited driving. The back end seems to wallow a bit with the overly-soft suspension (even the sports suspension that comes with the luxury package seem to be a little late with the movements of the car), while side to side lean during hard cornering and emergency maneuvers was unnerving, but still manageable. For regular driving conditions, it was pleasant but not overly tactile, with the power steering not being as communicative about the road as I wanted. Bumps and wiggles in the road were handled with ease, no bump steer at all.

The shifter in the 2.0T was solid, if a little uncommunicative. I could feel engine vibrations and road information with my right hand, but the throw and gate distances felt too big. Instead of throwing a sports shifter, it felt like I was stirring a small cauldron. Then again, as I stated in my handling section, for a regular driver looking at a luxury family sedan on a decent budget, this is what I expected. Heel-toe was doable, but the width of the center tower had me constantly banging my knee on it during such a maneuver. Also, the shifter didn't really give a tactile bump or snick when it hit the engagement point in the gate, so I wasn't able to downshift or upshift as fast as I would have liked, as I couldn't really discern where the gates ended. This may be because it was the luxury package, but for hard and fast shifting, get a Honda or a Mazda.

On the subject of the interior. This is one part I DID like. The seats were INCREDIBLY comfortable, bolstered but not intrusively so. It was a snug, comfortable seat which slid me out to the edges during cornering but didn't send me sailing through the windows. The navi screen was an absolute glory to use, and interfacing was beautiful. Other luxury sedan makers should study VW's idea. The interior for a $30k sedan felt appropriate. Good use of leather, nice trim, plastics felt solid and didn't jiggle or wiggle or squeak when bopped, shaken, prodded, etc. Air con was nice, quickly cold from a start after sitting in the sun all day. Engine noise didn't penetrate much, neither did wind or road noise. Very quiet, comfortable place to drive.

The engine in the 2.0T is a peppy little beast. Inline-4 with a small turbo smacked onto the side developing 200 bhp and 207 lb-ft of torque. The Jetta loves to get up and go with a good lump of torque right off the line and the small turbo spooling up before you even hit 2,000 rpm. Butt-dyno was feeling about 6.5-7 seconds 0-100. However, when the turbo kicked in, the car loved to haul itself sideways with gobs of torque steer. It's controllable with a bit of counter steer, but for the uninitiated, it could be a surprise. Overall, the engine is one of the better parts of this car. It's peppy, loves to go, but does run out of steam as the revs pass 5,000 somewhat. But by then the average driver will have already shifted.

Overall, despite the fact that this Jetta bears more than a scary resemblance to a BMW from the rear and a mutated snot-nosed elephant from the front, it is a nice place to drive for the average driver. On the performance front, there is plenty of grunt, good acceleration and little to no turbo lag. However, for the performance oriented driver, the whole package is let down by squishy soft suspension, lax steering feel and mid-corner understeer that could be dangerous if a corner is entered at too high a speed.

In my opinion, with gobs of work, this could be turned into a potent boy-racermobile. As it stands out of the box, though, this sedan would do nicely for a small family with a decent budget looking for a car that will take the kids to school and allow the driver to have some fun after the kids are out.

Exterior: 1/5 (It's just so... BLAH! It needs some more curves, a bit more emphasis to the power under the hood)

Interior: 4/5 (Comfortable, easy to use, quiet. Good interior, and BMW needs to learn from their german counterparts at VW about how to integrate a navigation/central computer properly)

Handling: 3/5 (Decent enough, but not confidence inspiring on fast turns, and with the soft suspension the only road information I was getting was through my hands)

Power/Engine: 4.5/5 (Great engine. Seriously. Loves to go, HUGE power available almost immediately, very good 2nd gear downshift-n-pass ability. Is let down by the small turbo running out of steam as the revs climb higher, to the point it feels like the engine is gasping a bit as the redline is approached.)

Liveability: 4/5 (Great trunk space, ski/snowboard passthrough in the back seat, comfortable to be in... is let down by the mutated looks of a snot-nosed elephant.)

OVERALL: 3.5/5

The Jetta 2.0T is a decent family car. It is NOT, however, a performance vehicle as VW likes to pimp it out to be. I think that a small family (2 parents, 2 kids) would find the car easy to use, comfortable, and able to haul a good load of groceries or family-oriented fare in the trunk. The price is a bit steep for a mid-sized family sedan, but the Jetta is being advertised as a sporty luxury sedan... I think they got the last bit right, but should have dropped the "sporty." Another thing to note is that the car feels very solidly built, like everything was over welded and over bolted. It's a STIFF body but doesn't squeak. Then again, VW is known for making their chassis very solidly.

EK 2.0
04-14-2006, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by gpomp
you guys should test drive and write reviews on member rides, haha.

Dibs on Duncan's, Benyl's, Jaymez's, Rage's, Kenny's, 86Max's, BoostInfested's, buh_buh's rides haha

Vagabond142
04-14-2006, 06:06 PM
Sorry EK... you're not one of the two "official" reviewers :poosie: Although we could test your car if you want :D :D See what the e-mackmobile can do :thumbsup:

Aleks
04-14-2006, 06:24 PM
What about the Gli. Why don't we have that here?

BlueFrenzy
04-14-2006, 06:27 PM
Great review guys. Man you guys really didn't like the exterior huh? :) I like that mutated elephant front (better than the Subaru nose) ... but to each their own.

Vagabond142
04-14-2006, 06:37 PM
Well, the thing with the subaru is that it's not really supposed to look pretty, so the snubby face works with the huge air scoop and the flared wheel arches. With the Jetta... it really looks like it should be busier. It's too droopy on the front, too blocky on the back, and nothing in between. A few accentuation lines coming off the hood would have gone MILES to making it look sportier and a little more muscular. But, as I kept saying, I got the impression this car was designed for the small family, not the prick looking to wag his small penis about (BMW) or the performance junkie looking for the benchmark sedan under $40k (WRX).

A790
04-14-2006, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by BlueFrenzy
Great review guys. Man you guys really didn't like the exterior huh? :) I like that mutated elephant front (better than the Subaru nose) ... but to each their own.

Nah, the exterior didn't do it for either of us it looks like.

Oh well, maybe they'll do better with the next generation.

Si_FlyGuy
04-15-2006, 07:55 AM
Great reviews. Although the exterior bugs me, I'm sure that it'll grow on me in the next year.

BlueGoblin
04-15-2006, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Si_FlyGuy
Great reviews. Although the exterior bugs me, I'm sure that it'll grow on me in the next year.

I hear ya. I am not wild about the chrome nose at all, nor the overall shape, but it may grow on me as well

Great review btw. I really like my jetta 1.8t - especially with the APR chip, and was wondering how the new model would measure up; I had high hopes for the new 2.0t motor, but wasn't sure about the wrapper it came in.

I think I will be keeping my Jetta for a bit and see if the new one grows on me...

A790
04-15-2006, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by BlueGoblin

I hear ya. I am not wild about the chrome nose at all, nor the overall shape, but it may grow on me as well

Great review btw. I really like my jetta 1.8t - especially with the APR chip, and was wondering how the new model would measure up; I had high hopes for the new 2.0t motor, but wasn't sure about the wrapper it came in.

I think I will be keeping my Jetta for a bit and see if the new one grows on me...

The new 2.0T is a very potent and responsive motor. Turbo lag = none.

I loved the engine, the acceleration. I just hated being seen in the car, that's all.

CryoCarnage
04-15-2006, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by A790

The new 2.0T is a very potent and responsive motor. Turbo lag = none.

I loved the engine, the acceleration. I just hated being seen in the car, that's all.
you sir just made it into a sig :rofl:

BigWill
04-15-2006, 05:45 PM
does the new golf gti come with the same engine???

EK 2.0
04-16-2006, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by Vagabond142
Sorry EK... you're not one of the two "official" reviewers :poosie: Although we could test your car if you want :D :D See what the e-mackmobile can do :thumbsup:

"official" reviewers??....how would you two like to be officially banned...hahaha...

403Gemini
04-16-2006, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

"official" reviewers??....how would you two like to be officially banned...hahaha...

Oh snap
emack > all

pinoyhero
04-16-2006, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the review, I agree 100% with your guys' opinions on the ext.

A790
04-16-2006, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by CryoCarnage

you sir just made it into a sig :rofl:

OOOH I've been waiting for this day :D

A790
04-16-2006, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by BigWill
does the new golf gti come with the same engine???

Yes it does. The New GTI should be a killer machine, but apparently there's only 88 for western canada this year :(