PDA

View Full Version : gas quality

TimG
04-15-2006, 11:30 AM
Where do Superstore/Co-op/Safeway/etc get their gas from? Is it the same quality as the name brand gas stations like shell and esso?

What about these otherplaces like Turbo and Husky? we didn't have these places back east.

MintRacer
04-15-2006, 11:39 AM
gas quality at superstore is crappier than esso/shell/mohawk. If you fill a jerry can at superstore and you will see the crazy residue after your done filling the lawn mower.

That would explain the better gas mileage as well, because the superstore gas does not burn as clean.

Supa Dexta
04-15-2006, 03:16 PM
I get my best milage from the esso on 16th.. the south side of the street, not the one on the north....I always get 50-100kms more per tank for some reason from that one station.... I drive a lot for work, so i keep good records of my gas milage...

CIVIC_MAN
04-15-2006, 04:46 PM
^^ there's no way that can be true. All Essos in Calgary get their gas from the same place.

barbarian
04-15-2006, 07:52 PM
Generally, the lowest grade gas comes from the same supplier for all the stations. The higher grades have extra additives per brand.

One factor is who transports the gas to a given station? Do you hire an operator with old, rusting tankers, which seldom are cleaned out?

The biggest thing that will make the difference at the stations is maintenance and operating practices. Is there a way for rainwater to get into the tanks? -- how well are the filling tube holes covered on the surface? How low is the floating suction level allowed to go before that tank is shut down pending refill? (gasoline floats) How old/rusty are the tanks? Are there any problems with the vapor removal systems?

djayz
04-15-2006, 08:08 PM
i fill at coop and there gas seems to be alright
its cheap money wise...but ive noticed that it performs better than superstore gas in my civic

Si_FlyGuy
04-16-2006, 12:50 AM
How eerie, I was just pondering this same thing yesterday.

Can anyone comment on the premium gas quality? I either fill up at bridgeland esso or at a centrex. Car does feel slightly peppier at esso, but I chalked that up to marketing.

barbarian
04-16-2006, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by Si_FlyGuy
How eerie, I was just pondering this same thing yesterday.

Can anyone comment on the premium gas quality? I either fill up at bridgeland esso or at a centrex. Car does feel slightly peppier at esso, but I chalked that up to marketing.

You put a tiger in your tank! :D

I suspect Super Store of having water in their gas, by the way.

Si_FlyGuy
04-16-2006, 08:35 AM
sonuva...i just filled up there yesterday.

ZMan2k2
04-16-2006, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by CIVIC_MAN
^^ there's no way that can be true. All Essos in Calgary get their gas from the same place.

True, but you have to remember how long the gas sits in the storage tanks underground, and the condition of the tanks as well. If the tanks are older, you'll get some nasty residue and other junk that could be floating around in there.

Supa Dexta
04-16-2006, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by CIVIC_MAN

Hey I'll admit it sounds bogus.. But as I said I keep track of my milage very well for work, and I consistantly get 50-100kms more per tank... And this has been a number of times.. i don't always get gas there, as it's not in my area.. But if I'm up around there I'll fill up... The only other reason that could be, is maybe if I head to airdrie or something on those tanks, and get a bit of highway milage in there, to squease out a bit more milage.. But it's had to have been 8 tanks I've gotten there with the same results and I don't go out of town too often... :dunno:

Si_FlyGuy
04-16-2006, 09:32 AM
16th ave and which street? I'm going to give it a shot.:rofl:

bennyhanna
04-16-2006, 09:53 AM
FYI

Superstore buys their gas from ESSO

djayz
04-16-2006, 01:43 PM
so the question is which gas station has the best gas and has the best discount?

'93 SR-V
04-16-2006, 01:54 PM
As was mentioned all gas comes from the same place, the only difference is additives and station practices... I usually buy my gas from co-op as you end up saving like 10 cents/L with all the kick backs. It seems to be alright. If I'm not around one I go with whatever, but none of the no name places. I remember the girl I was dating filled up at some no name place by her work (can't remember the name, only that the name was in orange letters on white pumps), and the gas was bad.... ended up having to get her whole fuel system overhauled, cost the gas station like $1500! I think the big difference is that with the cheap places you’re getting bare minimum, and with some of the better names you have added detergents, etc… I don’t know how much of that is marketing and how much of it makes a difference, but that’s the deal!

To answer your question, huskey is good quality, and they have 94 octane (not much use to most of us, but if you're running a high boost car it's a plus). Turbo buys their gas from shell I believe, it's just a cheaper version.

Supa Dexta
04-16-2006, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Si_FlyGuy
16th ave and which street? I'm going to give it a shot.:rofl:

I don't remember off hand, but it's on the south side not the one on the north... its further east then the north one (that has the macdonalds I think).. someone thats local may chime in....