PDA

View Full Version : cameras??

dave101
04-15-2006, 12:57 PM
well i posted in the general section but i think it was the wrong spot so here it is again

so, my family is going to new york over the summer and i have always wanted to do photography so i figure this is a good place to shoot some stuff. But i dont even own a camera yet so i was wondering what you guys would reccomend thats:

-good
-not terribly expensive (maybe as much as $700 u.s. ?)
-not confusing, easy to figure out
-digital ( did i need to say that?)

and i dunno just a nice camera that will last me a long time so i dont have to keep buying more as i get better

what about the rebel XT? thanks guys

edit: oh and not one of those small digi cameras that girls are always carrying around. i'm talking about the bigger ones u can put lenses on and such

DJ Lazy
04-15-2006, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by dave101

and i dunno just a nice camera that will last me a long time so i dont have to keep buying more as i get better

edit: i'm talking about the bigger ones u can put lenses on and such

Those are some contradicting statements.. :rofl:

You don't want to have to keep buying more, yet you want a camera that you will have to buy lens for (which in alot of cases) are more expensive than the original purhcase price of the body (atleast with regards to an XT)

That being said. An XT is a good beginner D-SLR. Also look at Nikons. I am a Canon whore.. but will admit Nikon does has some quality gear for beginners. D50 and D70 are the two to look at.

dave101
04-15-2006, 02:53 PM
thanks. thats crazy....the lens' cost more than the body. nuts

C4S
04-15-2006, 04:56 PM
If you are going to NY .. then BUY YOUR CAMERA THERE ! ( of CANON )

It is cheaper, and same warranty, however, 8.4% tax ..

By the way, do you have friends or relatives in NY ?

If yes, then you can order the Camera from NJ to NY ( say Digital XT, a very good one ) then you don't pay shipping, and you dont' need to pay tax .. and dont' bring the camera back with box .. then u dont' hv to pay duty and GST from the custom.

:thumbsup:

Things in NY ... are cheap cheap cheap !! compare to Calgary .. :thumbsup:

350D and D50 are two top entry level DSLR .. and you can get them app. $700 US .

If you want a good advance DC, with tons of nice function, you can buy the FZ30 ( panasonic ) app. $550 US vs $900 cad here.

I also recomend FZ7 ( I think I am going to order one from NY ) $340 US, vs $600 cad here.

" YO MAN ! " :rofl:

C4S
04-15-2006, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by dave101
thanks. thats crazy....the lens' cost more than the body. nuts

That is normal .. Lens is always more expensive then BODY .. ( for normal user with good lens)

But the diff between a expensive lens vs cheaper lens. example, 16-35mmL lens from Canon, $2059+ tax, vs $99 18-55mm lens .. the diff is so so so small .. especially on DSLR .. but diff body, will make big diff! ( say $4K 5D vs $1500 20D )
I will say .. in general, will spend $5-6 times $$ on lens then body ... :eek:

dave101
04-15-2006, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by C4S
If you are going to NY .. then BUY YOUR CAMERA THERE ! ( of CANON )

It is cheaper, and same warranty, however, 8.4% tax ..

By the way, do you have friends or relatives in NY ?

If yes, then you can order the Camera from NJ to NY ( say Digital XT, a very good one ) then you don't pay shipping, and you dont' need to pay tax .. and dont' bring the camera back with box .. then u dont' hv to pay duty and GST from the custom.

:thumbsup:

Things in NY ... are cheap cheap cheap !! compare to Calgary .. :thumbsup:

350D and D50 are two top entry level DSLR .. and you can get them app. $700 US .

If you want a good advance DC, with tons of nice function, you can buy the FZ30 ( panasonic ) app. $550 US vs $900 cad here.

I also recomend FZ7 ( I think I am going to order one from NY ) $340 US, vs $600 cad here.

" YO MAN ! " :rofl:

i actually live in the states so i'm good lol. That FZ30 is lookin pretty good and is cheaper than the rebel so that could be the one. But whats all this talk about DSLR and DMC and the such? thanks for the info:thumbsup:

C4S
04-15-2006, 09:06 PM
Opps.. you are in US .. oops..

then you better order your camera from either NY or NJ .. ( always lower price, and u dont pay tax that case )

I always say go for DSLR .. but then .. will be lots of money to spend for lens, flashes .. etc ... if one all in one camera ... Panasonic seems doing the best job in their FZ series ... better then the Nikon 8000 series, and Canon seems giving up on their pro-1 series, and the S2/S3 are nice too, but I will go for the FZ series.

:)

turboMiata
05-02-2006, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by C4S
...... and dont' bring the camera back with box .. then u dont' hv to pay duty and GST from the custom.

LOL