PDA

View Full Version : Phantom of the Opera

Weapon_R
04-16-2006, 12:52 PM
I just heard on the radio that they are coming to Calgary. I've never been a huge fan of plays, but this one seems very popular. Has anyone ever gone and seen it? Is it worth going?

hussein
04-16-2006, 01:09 PM
I saw it once in Calgary and once in London.

Read or watch the movie about the story line and if the story interests you enough then go watch the play.

Forgot to add, I did enjoy watching it as it is a huge change from watching things on a screen all the time.

Shaolin
04-16-2006, 01:16 PM
I've only seen the movie.. but I know quite a few people that went in the past and they all loved it... apparently they have a falling chandelier from the balcony onto the stage..

I got tickets for it so I'm lookin forward to seeing if the hype lives up to the performance.

Melinda
04-16-2006, 01:19 PM
We have front row seats for when it comes, it's the only Andrew Lloyd Webber production I havent seen, I'm super excited about it!

B17a
04-18-2006, 09:32 AM
I've seen it here, TO, and NYC. I can't get enough of it, so I've got tickets again this time around. Awesome show. The movie doesn't do it justice.

mac_82
04-18-2006, 09:36 AM
I saw it last time it was in Calgary which was at least 10 years ago, been waiting for it to come back ever since. The family has 6 tickets to go end of July, can't wait.

:clap:

legendboy
04-18-2006, 09:45 AM
gf's boss bought us tickets

~Leah~
04-18-2006, 09:45 AM
Boourns, I wanna go :( I love Andrew Lloyd Webber ever since we did a lot of pieces by him in choral in high school!

Ekliptix
04-18-2006, 09:58 AM
It's awesome. Who can get tires of hearing those voices?
I've seen most Andrew Lloyd Webber stuff. I didn't think Cats was that great though.

94SSEi
04-18-2006, 10:28 AM
Sold out according to Ticketmaster's site, but I'm going to call to confirm.

Despair*
04-18-2006, 10:57 AM
I saw it as well a long time ago in Calgary when it was here. I found it to be awesome and wouldn't hesistate to go again. If you can get your hands on some tickets your in for a real Treat :thumbsup:

habsfan
04-18-2006, 01:59 PM
i went to see it in toronto in elementary school. i thought i'd hate it because it was a musical, and i was really narrow minded toward them back then, but it was awesome. i wanted to go back and see it again and i'd still like to. two thumbs up from me.

Shaolin
04-18-2006, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Ekliptix
I've seen most Andrew Lloyd Webber stuff. I didn't think Cats was that great though.

I assume you went to the one earlier this month? I was at that show.. they had some pretty horrible reviews when they were down in the states.. I thought it was entertaining. I liked it better than Chicago.

FiveFreshFish
04-18-2006, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by mac_82
I saw it last time it was in Calgary which was at least 10 years ago, been waiting for it to come back ever since.

I saw it in '92 at the Jubilee. :thumbsup:

mac_82
04-18-2006, 05:27 PM
^^ Sounds about right, been a loooong time. :thumbsup:

94SSEi
04-22-2006, 03:38 PM
Just wanted to update that this is NOT sold out. My previous coment was only as a result of my inability to operate the internet :P

Tickets still available, sorry for any confusion/angst.

dino_martini
04-22-2006, 06:09 PM
I got floor seats to opening night..Havent ever seen it, i have listened in the set of tapes over 100 times while in my grandmas car driving to visit my uncle in ontario.

snade831
04-22-2006, 07:23 PM
my whole familys going, should be a good show!

Melinda
04-23-2006, 12:31 AM

Originally posted by Shaolin

I assume you went to the one earlier this month? I was at that show.. they had some pretty horrible reviews when they were down in the states.. I thought it was entertaining. I liked it better than Chicago.
I've seen cats twice. The first time was a few years ago and I thought it was FANTASTIC. We went last month and it was BRUTAL. For some reason it didn't have NEARLY the same appeal as the first show did. Actually it was so bad that we committed the ultimate theatre sin and left at the intermission! :eek: But yeah, definately looking forward to Phantom! Nice to see that there are some guys on here who enjoy a little culture! :D

FiveFreshFish
04-23-2006, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by Melinda
Actually it was so bad that we committed the ultimate theatre sin and left at the intermission! :eek:

The ultimate theatre sin is to leave during the performance! :D

Jassie
04-23-2006, 06:08 PM
I've seen it 8 times. I absolutly love it! You get so much more out of the experience of the theater than watching the dvd

BebeAphrodite
04-26-2006, 02:58 PM
Hmm..is this anything like the tv/movie productions of phantom? The newest one w/ Emily Rossom (sp?) was sooo bad it gave me a headache.

mac_gurl
04-26-2006, 03:13 PM
Does anybody know how good second balcony seats are?

I was thinking of taking my mom for mothers day, but
didn't really want to get the expensive seats.

What do you guys recommend?

benyl
04-26-2006, 03:15 PM

Cats was BRUTAL. I hope Fantom isn't shitty too. Chicago was good, but I like the movie better.

mo_money2supe
04-26-2006, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by mac_gurl
Does anybody know how good second balcony seats are?

I was thinking of taking my mom for mothers day, but
didn't really want to get the expensive seats.

What do you guys recommend?

I actually prefer to have balcony seats when watching theatre (depending how far back and how high up though). When you're on the floor, you don't see as much as compared to when you're higher up.

Unfortunately, the balcony seats at the Jubilee are somewhat far back compared to pretty much every other theatre in major cities, so it could or could not be beneficial (ie. all of Toronto's theatres...it's great watching theatre there! Expensive too!) Mind you, my gf and I have seats in first row, first balcony for Phantom when it comes to town, so I'll let you know how the view was after we've watched it.

JAYMEZ
04-26-2006, 03:48 PM
Hopefully I can get some tickets , would be awesome to see!

ddmmak
06-19-2006, 10:44 AM
Where would be a good place to sit at the Jubilee? First Balcony or Second Balcony? Is the second balcony not worth sitting at?

Shaolin
06-19-2006, 10:48 AM
Bring a scope if you're on the second balcony. First balcony is pretty good though, not too far from the stage. I once sat at the back of the seond balcony near the sides, and I probably would've enjoyed the show more if I was closer.

TC2002
06-22-2006, 02:18 PM
For a show like Phantom, you should try to get balcony seats. It's just because there is a lot to see, and it's worth getting 1st balcony if there are still seats available.

mac_82
07-24-2006, 03:24 PM
So has anyone been yet? Not sure what date it's opening, but I am going this weekend :D can't wait.

legendboy
07-24-2006, 03:25 PM
SOOOOOOOOOOOOPER boring

they might as well have been singing "rock a by baby" to me. i could barely keep my eye's open

szw
07-24-2006, 03:35 PM
Are tickets still available? I really don't want to see it (or pay for it) so someone please tell me it is sold out.

benyl
07-24-2006, 03:37 PM
why don't you look on ticket master?

szw
07-24-2006, 03:38 PM
I'd rather someone lie to me.

benyl
07-24-2006, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by szw
I'd rather someone lie to me.

ok, you are the coolest, most desireable person on Beyond.

Grip172
07-24-2006, 06:49 PM
hahaha if you come by, i'm a "traffic controller"....yes im' one of those losers with a yellow vest and flashlight that screws up the traffic flow for you :D

benyl
07-24-2006, 11:02 PM
Are you one of those guys that conficates the camera when someone take a picture?

Grip172
07-25-2006, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by benyl
Are you one of those guys that conficates the camera when someone take a picture?

no i just work before and after the show, when there is a mess of traffic we direct it...and so CHILL OUT AND FOLLOW OUR INSTRUCTIONS

by the way, if u come to the show and its an 8pm show...come for 7:15 or so...traffic is stupid with the trains and what not

3g4me
07-25-2006, 02:03 PM
The show is sweet i saw it last week. If you can get out to see it you should.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Despair*
07-25-2006, 02:56 PM
I'll be watching it this Sunday coming up. Can't wait to go see it too, no telling when the show will be back next!

mac_82
07-30-2006, 03:08 PM
I was front row center last night and it was amazing. Can't wait to see it a 3rd time :thumbsup:

Shaolin
07-30-2006, 03:21 PM
I actually enjoyed it more sitting at the front row in the first balcony the second time. I was 3rd row from the stage the first time

snade831
07-30-2006, 08:54 PM
That's where my family and I were (first balcony). What an amazing show. I would like to go to New York and see more!

TC2002
07-30-2006, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Shaolin
I actually enjoyed it more sitting at the front row in the first balcony the second time. I was 3rd row from the stage the first time

Yeah. I enjoy balcony more for these shows. I don't need to see their faces; I want to see the whole show. :D

Originally posted by snade831
That's where my family and I were (first balcony). What an amazing show. I would like to go to New York and see more!

So I hear they are going to be in Vegas, and that show is going to be bigger than the Broadway show, less a song or two though.

Grip172
07-30-2006, 11:59 PM
u guys actually enjoy that kind of stuff? i'm SOOOO glad tonight was the last show...i'm sick of the idiot drivers asking where the jubilee is when its RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEIR FUCKIN FACES lol

Shaolin
07-31-2006, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by TC2002

Yeah. I enjoy balcony more for these shows. I don't need to see their faces; I want to see the whole show. :D

So I hear they are going to be in Vegas, and that show is going to be bigger than the Broadway show, less a song or two though.

They're playing the Vegas one at the Venetian, I was there last weekend and the banners were all over the hotel. It's only like a 90 minute show though..

Melinda
07-31-2006, 09:56 AM
Well I saw the show last night (the 30th) and I LOVED it. About a thousand million times better than the movie. We were front row and we didnt get to see a few of the special things happening on the stage but it didnt take away from the show at all! It was the last one I needed to see of A.L.W. and it was well worth the wait. So now I'm stoked to get to see them all again and get to watch the other broadway stuff that comes to town that I havent seen yet. I'll be in the UK next year again so I might see another show there that won't come here. (Saw the lion king last time and it was amazing!)

Anyways, I'm getting off topic. Awesome show, great voices, blew the movie out of the water! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

TC2002
07-31-2006, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Melinda
Well I saw the show last night (the 30th) and I LOVED it. About a thousand million times better than the movie. We were front row and we didnt get to see a few of the special things happening on the stage but it didnt take away from the show at all! It was the last one I needed to see of A.L.W. and it was well worth the wait. So now I'm stoked to get to see them all again and get to watch the other broadway stuff that comes to town that I havent seen yet. I'll be in the UK next year again so I might see another show there that won't come here. (Saw the lion king last time and it was amazing!)

Anyways, I'm getting off topic. Awesome show, great voices, blew the movie out of the water! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I hated the movie. Didn't do the show justice. How did you manage to land front row? :thumbsup: Enjoy the UK!

Melinda
07-31-2006, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by TC2002

I hated the movie. Didn't do the show justice. How did you manage to land front row? :thumbsup: Enjoy the UK!
Pre-buy is a blessing! :thumbsup: Definately great seats, neat to see the actors expressions while they sing! And thanks, I'll be there for my honeymoon! The trouble will be convincing my soon to be husband that a show is worth going to! :D

bituerbo
07-31-2006, 10:11 AM
I saw it last week, 1st balcony.
I'm not huge on musicals, but I enjoyed it.

Despair*
07-31-2006, 10:24 AM
I Saw the Phtanom yesterday at 2:00 PM. I was on the first balcony and conveniently for me the 4 seats in the row directly in front of me weren't occupied! No giant heads to look through which was a nice and rare surprise.

It was my 2nd time seeing the show, and I really enjoyed it :thumbsup:
I'm glad I bought tickets to see it. It may be along time again before the show makes it way back to calgary.