PDA

View Full Version : Transmission suitable for Calgary...

HiSpec
04-16-2006, 09:35 PM
Lets set aside all those "manual is better then automatic" bias...

Which transmission type is best suitable for Calgary's driving condition?

Automatic is best for city with lots of stop and go.
Manual is best for city with lots of free flow and long free way driving.

Which one is Calgary best suit for?

Now remember, I'm not talking about if the driver knows how to drive manual or not, is asking about which type of transmission is best suit for Calgary.

Cheers

A790
04-16-2006, 09:46 PM
I find manual to be very easy to operate in calgary as we don't quite have the parking lot traffic situation, but that may not be the case in the future.

An automatic with a triptronic might be a good choice :)

rage2
04-16-2006, 09:47 PM
Depends if you work downtown or have to drive thru rush hour. I do most of my driving in these situations and hate driving manual. Give it another 5 yrs, Calgary traffic will be so bad that everyone wants an auto.

WWJAI
04-16-2006, 09:48 PM
I don't think it matters too much. Any transmission is perfectly suitable for Calgary conditions. Just depends on which type you want to drive yourself and when you actually drive. (ex.if you drive in rush hour a lot).

Supa Dexta
04-16-2006, 09:49 PM
calgary is pretty flat as well, so thats a plus for people learning stick..

gp36912
04-16-2006, 09:49 PM
going down deerfoot north in the morning is very harsh, i would not like to drive a manual during those times. also with the trip back is about as bad

WWJAI
04-16-2006, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Depends if you work downtown or have to drive thru rush hour. I do most of my driving in these situations and hate driving manual. Give it another 5 yrs, Calgary traffic will be so bad that everyone wants an auto.

I think your right. If this happens, i'm definitely gonna have to get myself an auto. :( the boredom of driving a auto...

88CRX
04-16-2006, 09:55 PM
driving a stick in stop and go traffic isnt THAT bad :dunno:

whiskas
04-16-2006, 10:36 PM
I use crowchild and glenmore a lot and don't have much problems. Manual is handy on glenmore to pass the mouthbreathing retards who decide to go 50.

Tuner1
04-16-2006, 11:16 PM
A transmission needs to suit the driver, not the city.

Rob

403Gemini
04-16-2006, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX

i agree, i dont find it bad at all... except when u're on stop and go on a hill...

kevie88
04-17-2006, 12:18 AM
Automatic can bite my nuts.. I'll never buy an auto!!

Until all tiptronics rev-match on downshifts they aren't worth shit either.

handsomebassman
04-17-2006, 12:20 AM
after owning one auto, and now owning two manuals, i can gladly say my next vehicle will be an auto. Morning traffic is just to much of a pain, and its just going to get worse with time in this city.

Envitro
04-17-2006, 12:22 AM
Oh, so you're the guy who goes 90 in a posted 50 construction zone, eh? :eek: :D

Originally posted by whiskas
I use crowchild and glenmore a lot and don't have much problems. Manual is handy on glenmore to pass the mouthbreathing retards who decide to go 50.

handsomebassman
04-17-2006, 12:23 AM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

handsomebassman
04-17-2006, 01:08 AM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

BerserkerCatSplat
04-17-2006, 01:10 AM
^^

:rofl: Either he edited, or your reading comprehension has gone straight down the tubes tonight. ;)

DelSoln
04-17-2006, 10:54 AM
I don't think it makes too much of a difference for Calgary. It's not like Vancouver with all the sharp slopes where you roll back in a manual.

Weapon_R
04-17-2006, 10:56 AM
I love manual, but I drive 16th avenue daily and it becomes very tedious to shift back and forth every few meters. Right now, traffic is okay but Calgary is growing faster than the infrastructure can handle, so i'd say auto would be your better bet if you aren't particularly passionate about manual.

GTS Jeff
04-17-2006, 12:39 PM
Once you get used to manual, you don't even really think about it anymore, so it's not a big deal to be in city traffic. With an upgraded clutch and a lightweight flywheel however, it can be wise to avoid stop+go traffic wherever possible. ;)

rage2
04-17-2006, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by WWJAI
I think your right. If this happens, i'm definitely gonna have to get myself an auto. :( the boredom of driving a auto...
Auto's have gone a long ways in the last 5 years, especially with the new DSG transmissions going mainstream in VW/Audi cars.

Originally posted by 88CRX
For a block or 2, sure. When you're in downtown trying to go from one end to the other to get home, which takes 30 minutes of bumper to bumper, and you have to inch up every 3 or 4 seconds otherwise you'll lose your spot... it gets pretty shitty. Make it 3x worse if you have an aftermarket clutch and flywheel. I routinely get passed standing still 6-8 times on average in my Porsche during rush hour because I get lazy after 20 mins of clutch slipping and start to leave 2-3 carlength gaps. I get honked at a lot too for letting people in haha.

Originally posted by kevie88
Automatic can bite my nuts.. I'll never buy an auto!!

Until all tiptronics rev-match on downshifts they aren't worth shit either.
A lot of them do nowadays. The DSG trannys are pretty slick in Auto mode.

SilverBoost
04-17-2006, 02:51 PM
I have an aftermarket clutch and this city is far from hard to drive a manual in. For one, its pretty much dead flat in comparison - especially to harbour cities like on the east coast and vancouver. And it's never bumper ot bumper here for hours like it can be on the 401 in T.O. so the traffic is far from being so bad that it would influence me to buy an auto.

If all you want to do is get around, then buy an auto. If you actually want to have some fun when you drive, but a manual and get some manly calves as a payoff. (Well the left one at least) :)