PDA

View Full Version : Becoming an auto mechanic....

bw54867
04-17-2006, 02:04 PM
Lets say tuiton and costs are not really an issue.

I know guys that are apprenticing talk about how they get paid and go to school at the same time but would taking the full time program be the better route?

Which route would lead to me making the most money in the least time?

I already have a few months of busting my ass off as a lube tech but I never decided to enter the trade till now and never even thought about apprenticing.

Thanks

Thaco
04-17-2006, 03:28 PM
you have to get x amount of hours before you can take the schooling each year, the oinly way to speed it up would be to find a shop that'll let you work the most possible hours.

my brother took it and if i recall correctly he had to do 10 months of work and 2 months of school for 4 years

bw54867
04-17-2006, 03:53 PM
well i am thinking about taking the one year Automotive Mechanic Certificate course at NAIT

http://www.nait.ca/programs/AUM/

Can I do anything with this certificate? Does it speed up the process of becoming a journeyman at all?

JO-WN4GE
04-20-2006, 09:26 PM
I am just finishing that same program but at LCC in lethbridge, Its a very good program and you will gain alot of knowlege from it even if u choose to not go into the automotive field. I took the course because I didnt have any luck finding an apprenticeship before I took the course. Unfortunatly nothing has changed and I still cant find a job, all the places I talk to say that I would be a great person for them to hire as an apprentice and that they are happy with the students that graduate from the course but I no one is looking to hire right now for some reason. I think its probibly just my location as theirs a supposidly large damand for all trades right now:dunno: Its realy up to you, the only real advantage to taking the course is the fact that you can go challenge your 1st and 2nd year apprenticeship exams which makes you more appealing to employers than someone with no experience at all.

If I was in your situation I would apply to the program asap to ensure that you can get in before its too late, then go apply for jobs and try to get work somewhere or get some connections at places. If your able to find work then start working and get signed up for your apprenticship, keep bugging your employer to sign you up and if they dont after a few months of working their then just leave alot of places will screw you around and use you for cheep labour and not bother apprenticing you. If you cant find work however then just take the program and do well then go look for a job, if you decide its not for you or you cant find work after (like me:guns: ) atleast you will have gain alot of knowlege that no one can take away from you and will always help no matter what you end up doing in life.

Foreign1
04-20-2006, 09:33 PM
I am an AST (automoitive service technology )student at SAIT and its pretty cool. I take two 8 month scool years, get apprenticeship hour credits. I have worked about 20 hours a week while going to school and its been fine. If you have a cool job hookup, the split apprenticeship would be cool, but full time gets all the school out of the way so you can make your money all at once.

Ichigo
04-20-2006, 10:04 PM
I'd say get a job at a shop and have them pay for your schooling. That way you'll have a taste of the industry and know if you're interested in that particular field or not.

Clanche
04-24-2006, 11:41 AM
Sheni at AutoTrend is looking for someone to train from stratch.. you should go talk to him :thumbsup:

Mike09
04-24-2006, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Ichigo
I'd say get a job at a shop and have them pay for your schooling. That way you'll have a taste of the industry and know if you're interested in that particular field or not.
I'd also recommend working in a shop first. As ichigo said, we ruined his hopes and dreams in the trade.

d.maczko
04-26-2006, 12:15 PM
I am also a graduate of the AMC course at NAIT and am having trouble finding a job in the edmonton area. Its a great program and you learn alot about various systems of cars. The only dumb thing that I did was go to a shop instead of a dealership for my practicum. I recommend going to a dealership for your practicum because usually after you graduate they will hire you on.

good luck with your choice.

JO-WN4GE
04-29-2006, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by d.maczko
I am also a graduate of the AMC course at NAIT and am having trouble finding a job in the edmonton area. Its a great program and you learn alot about various systems of cars. The only dumb thing that I did was go to a shop instead of a dealership for my practicum. I recommend going to a dealership for your practicum because usually after you graduate they will hire you on.

good luck with your choice.

Not always true, i did my practicum at a toyota dealer and wasnt offered a job after.......... they didnt have a position for me, i would have to wait for a year to get an apprenticship and I dont think anyone in my class was offered a job at any of the dealers but the local shops are now employing a few students who i gratuated with.

d.maczko
05-02-2006, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by JO-WN4GE

Not always true, i did my practicum at a toyota dealer and wasnt offered a job after.......... they didnt have a position for me, i would have to wait for a year to get an apprenticship and I dont think anyone in my class was offered a job at any of the dealers but the local shops are now employing a few students who i gratuated with.

well in edmonton, id say about 90% of the people that went to a dealership for their practicum was offered a job upon graduation of the course.