PDA

View Full Version : Cops cracking down?, penalties increased!

Hollywood
03-25-2003, 11:01 PM
It does not seem that the cops are cracking down, it's the government that is forcing them just like the whole quota thing. I just heard on the news that the Alberta government has decided this "Albertan's have been getting off too easy". They are increasing traffic violations fines drastically!

I fucking hate the Canadian government, it's all about the money to them, it's turning into a business more than a democracy. All beacuse they do not know how to spend the money properly in the first place.

I don't know too much of the details but add what you know. Talk amoungst yourselves....Discuss....Discuss....Hehehehe.:D

FiveFreshFish
03-25-2003, 11:08 PM
Well shit, I just renewed my registration on Friday and it costs $68.49 per year now. Wasn't it just over $50 last year?

rage2
03-25-2003, 11:14 PM
You wanna talk about abusing fines for money... this was in Car and Driver this month :

http://www.newromesucks.com

60 residents, 14 cops, $400,000us in tickets a year, $60k lost per year mysteriously to the cops, and the whole police department + village council is one big family. Their city hall is inside a double wide trailer :rofl:

That my friend is abuse. I hope it's an April Fool's joke hehe.

ACS-e36
03-25-2003, 11:37 PM
yeah seems like theres cops everywhere i go now.... just on saturday night i saw 2 cops cruisers on shag. one top and one on bottom. and then i turned on to john laurie and i saw a ghost car bust sum guy for speeding. and then i saw a cop at an intersection by mikes... im scared to speed now

Lo)2enz0
03-25-2003, 11:40 PM
politics are full of it. how many of them accually drive the speed limit without going 10km/h over or more. I hate politics.

Laurier

guitardemon
03-25-2003, 11:50 PM
i know cops are bullshit, i got a ticket for my lisence plate light out for 65 fucking bucks, like wat the fuck!!!,

the government should stop spending money ion stupid shit.
(im not racist or anything) but how come natives get like payed to live on thier little reservations and pollute it all up, then leave and go somewhere else, meanwhile were here working our asses off for them

and it was a proven fact that there are NOT the first ppls of this country,

i think its stupid

and the quota thing for tickets it bull too

Weapon_R
03-25-2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by guitardemon
the government should stop spending money ion stupid shit.
(im not racist or anything) but how come natives get like payed to live on thier little reservations and pollute it all up, then leave and go somewhere else, meanwhile were here working our asses off for them

Maybe it's because they have been treated like shit by the Canadians and British governments during the 19th and 20th centuries, forced to live in residential schools where they were raped and beaten, and exploited as an entire race through a series of policies of assimilation...

RiceCake
03-25-2003, 11:58 PM
Fack, I need to do some registering next week. Gah I hate these increases in price. Hmm... maybe getting myself a Valentine 1 wasn't a bad investment afterall ;)

max_boost
03-26-2003, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by RiceCake
Fack, I need to do some registering next week. Gah I hate these increases in price. Hmm... maybe getting myself a Valentine 1 wasn't a bad investment afterall ;) You got one?!?!

For which car?

ninjak84
03-26-2003, 12:24 AM
I fucking hate quotas so badly!!!

Last summer I got a ticket for going 10 over. I asked for some proof, or anything to say I was speeding, and he told me he didn't have any. He said he was just trying to make his quota. When he came back to my car, he said that if I contested it, he wouldn't show up to court.
It was the last night I had my car before it got parked for winter, and I was taking one last drive. No one else on the road, no witnesses to back me up or anything.
Court date is in June.

Fucking prick.

ACS-e36
03-26-2003, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
You got one?!?!

For which car?

his corrolla! hahahhahahaha jkjk
his new car is on the way

ninspeed
03-26-2003, 01:23 AM
wow.. that town should so be on the TV show "cops"

SinisterProbeGt
03-26-2003, 03:05 AM
I think this is the link to the car and driver
car and driver (http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/features/2003/april/0304_feature_pity.xml)

Originally posted by rage2
You wanna talk about abusing fines for money... this was in Car and Driver this month :

60 residents, 14 cops, $400,000us in tickets a year, $60k lost per year mysteriously to the cops, and the whole police department + village council is one big family. Their city hall is inside a double wide trailer :rofl:

RiceCake
03-26-2003, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
You got one?!?!

For which car?

b15 sentra arriving next week :thumbsup:

Ben
03-26-2003, 09:14 AM
Meah, the cops may be cracking down, but the crown prosecutor doesn't seem to give a $%*!.

Me: "Hi, I was just looking at getting the..."
<interupted>
CP: "can you pay the fine today?"

Me: "yes"

CP: "Okay, pay the fine, no demerits"

Me: "Um...Thanks :)"

MerfBall
03-26-2003, 09:24 AM
So what if they increase fines? If your not doing anything wrong it should be oblivious to you. Obviously if you are speeding and still speeding even after a ticket than the government is right in saying "Albertans are getting off too easy". If it was a $500 fine for speeding how many of you would speed?

I do think the quotas are silly, but then if there were no quotas I'm sure cops wouldn't be out there writing tickets. I'm pretty sure cops didn't want to become cops to write tickets, if that were the case I'm guessing they would have chosen a less dangerous meter maid position.

RiceCake
03-26-2003, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Ben
Meah, the cops may be cracking down, but the crown prosecutor doesn't seem to give a $%*!.

Me: &quot;Hi, I was just looking at getting the...&quot;
&lt;interupted&gt;
CP: &quot;can you pay the fine today?&quot;

Me: &quot;yes&quot;

CP: &quot;Okay, pay the fine, no demerits&quot;

Me: &quot;Um...Thanks :)&quot;

Man, they are so in it for the $$$$ :thumbsdow :banghead:

G
03-26-2003, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by ninjak84
I fucking hate quotas so badly!!!

Last summer I got a ticket for going 10 over. I asked for some proof, or anything to say I was speeding, and he told me he didn't have any. He said he was just trying to make his quota. When he came back to my car, he said that if I contested it, he wouldn't show up to court.
It was the last night I had my car before it got parked for winter, and I was taking one last drive. No one else on the road, no witnesses to back me up or anything.
Court date is in June.

Fucking prick.

The same thing happened to me before. He was really nice about it. He told me to go to court for it and he will be busy that day. I went to court and he never showed. What a super nice guy.

Hollywood
03-26-2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by MerfBall
So what if they increase fines? If your not doing anything wrong it should be oblivious to you. Obviously if you are speeding and still speeding even after a ticket than the government is right in saying &quot;Albertans are getting off too easy&quot;. If it was a $500 fine for speeding how many of you would speed?

I do think the quotas are silly, but then if there were no quotas I'm sure cops wouldn't be out there writing tickets. I'm pretty sure cops didn't want to become cops to write tickets, if that were the case I'm guessing they would have chosen a less dangerous meter maid position.

It's way to easy to speed sometimes. You say what you say now until your personally driving and maybe talking on the cell phone or singing to the radio then suddenly a cop waives you over for doing 11 over which hypothetical we will say it would become 150 bucks...Or if your on deerfoot and you normally don't speed but you accelerate to change lanes, then get a photo radar ticket for 150 bucks...You would be pissed!

And don't say you would'nt!

max_boost
03-26-2003, 11:47 AM

b15 sentra arriving next week :thumbsup: Is that SpecV?

___2PaC___
03-26-2003, 11:51 AM

Man, they are so in it for the $$$$ :thumbsdow :banghead:

True that, and I don't get how the stupid ass government, spent ummm 1 BILLION DOLLARS, on that gun shit last year, they wanted something like 14 million and they spent 1 BILLION DOLLARS, wtf?!?!?!?!?

Oh just a lil over the amount they were gonna spend/use/want, whatever it was

MerfBall
03-26-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Hollywood

It's way to easy to speed sometimes. You say what you say now until your personally driving and maybe talking on the cell phone or singing to the radio then suddenly a cop waives you over for doing 11 over which hypothetical we will say it would become 150 bucks...Or if your on deerfoot and you normally don't speed but you accelerate to change lanes, then get a photo radar ticket for 150 bucks...You would be pissed!

And don't say you would'nt!

If your talking on the cell phone while your driving, you should get a ticket. Sorry pet peeve of mine, seems that any time anyone is talking on the cell phone they drive like a complete retard.

Honestly in all the years I've been driving I've received one speeding ticket and that was a photo radar and I can say that I deserved it.

If you're singing to the radio, talking on the cell, whatever the case and your not aware of your speed you deserve a ticket. If your speeding to pass someone on deerfoot, dude your still speeding.

To put what you said to the extreme end, what if you were jamming to the radio or talking on the cell phone and didn't notice that kid running across the street and hit the kid... Would you still be pissed for getting a ticket?

There is no doubt that the ticketing system is a cash cow for the government, but to say it is strictly to generate money is silly. It still does enforce road safetly.

Hollywood
03-26-2003, 02:53 PM

If your talking on the cell phone while your driving, you should get a ticket. Sorry pet peeve of mine, seems that any time anyone is talking on the cell phone they drive like a complete retard.

Honestly in all the years I've been driving I've received one speeding ticket and that was a photo radar and I can say that I deserved it.

If you're singing to the radio, talking on the cell, whatever the case and your not aware of your speed you deserve a ticket. If your speeding to pass someone on deerfoot, dude your still speeding you deserve a ticket.

To put what you said to the extreme end, what if you were jamming to the radio or talking on the cell phone and didn't notice that kid running across the street and hit the kid... Would you still be pissed for getting a ticket?

There is no doubt that the ticketing system is a cash cow for the government, but to say it is strictly to generate money is silly. It still does enforce road safetly.

Mother Teresa called.....she wants her morals back!:poosie:

DSM Power
03-26-2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Well shit, I just renewed my registration on Friday and it costs $68.49 per year now. Wasn't it just over $50 last year?
It was like $55 last year - total bullshit that it keeps going up! :guns:

It's no joke, I saw a feature about that town on one of those shows like Dateline NBC... that town is totally corrupt!! :thumbsdow

darknight
03-27-2003, 12:25 PM
Guys come on now. Me of all people should know, if you gotta ticket dosen't mean you can't wheel and deal. Just gotta know how to fight it. All I ever do is go down to traffic court talk to the first line prosecutor and they always decrease the fines, take off demerits etc just gotta be willing to take a hour or so outta your day and go down to court. Better then paying for the ticket in full and getting slapped with all those demerits and having your insurance go up.
But yeah ticket quotas are lame. Gotta keep lo and stay on the do lo away from the po po!

Orrin

darknight
03-27-2003, 12:26 PM

Mother Teresa called.....she wants her morals back!:poosie:

HAHAHAH thats a good one Adrian:thumbsup:

AaronS13
03-27-2003, 04:59 PM
well, at least none of you guys have a 853 dollar ticket to contest, out in BC no less...

Excessive Speeding
Driving without Consideration
Failing to signal lane change
Illegal headlights
Driving with a reverse light out....

ouch is all i can say!

rage2
03-27-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by AaronS13
well, at least none of you guys have a 853 dollar ticket to contest, out in BC no less...

Excessive Speeding
Illegal headlights

ouch is all i can say!

Tell me that the $853 was for all those tickets combined. I managed a $600 ticket outside Vancouver many years ago and I thought that was the record! :D

Dr. Evil
03-27-2003, 05:24 PM
60 residents, 14 cops, $400,000us in tickets a year, $60k lost per year mysteriously to the cops, and the whole police department + village council is one big family. Their city hall is inside a double wide trailer
Its Civil War time! Nothing changes a corrupt government faster than millions of citizens with guns:D

ninjak84
03-27-2003, 05:38 PM

Excessive Speeding
Illegal headlights

ouch is all i can say!

Wow.
I step down as the demerit king of Beyond!!!
We have a new champion!!!

Hollywood
03-27-2003, 08:49 PM

Excessive Speeding
Illegal headlights

ouch is all i can say!

Ya for sure he was out to get you. BTW Hi Aaron it's been a while.

max_boost
03-27-2003, 09:03 PM
I definitely agree with the cellphone thing.....most people have no idea what they are doing when they are talking on the phone.....changing lanes without shoulder checking, crossing into other lanes etc.etc.

Hollywood
03-27-2003, 10:23 PM
I will say this my info was to let others who do occasionally speed that fines are increasing. For the 1% who don't really drive a car like a way a car is supposed to be driven isnt a true car enthusiast. If all you've ever done is 100 on deerfoot and never taken your car past 100....your kinda' a geek and not have lived life and I feel sorry for you.

I can easily say that over 99% of people registered here "that own a car" have sped at least once and easily more. Hell even the owners of this site have had a past in speeding.

Yes speeding is against the law, but just think of it this way if there were no one breaking 'easy to break laws' that come with fines we would not be able to afford cops to protect us from real crimes. Ponder that.

red RX-7
03-28-2003, 01:17 AM

Excessive Speeding
Illegal headlights

ouch is all i can say!

yah B.C. has huge fines, i was out there last year and i got pulled over by a inspections officer(wannabe cop) on the road from Vancouver to Whistler. he was sitting on the side of the road and i went flying by him at like 160km/h in a 90. The funny thing is, he came flying up behind me about 5 minutes later, i guess it took him a while to catch up to me. So hes like license and registration please, so i give it to him and he comes back and says my insurance is expired and that he called my isurance company and told them i was getting a ticket for dangerous driving and driving w/o proper insurance. he said i would get the ticket in the mail in a month or so, I havent got it yet, sucka. and the insurance company hasnt said anything about it.

RC-Cola
03-28-2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by red RX-7

yah B.C. has huge fines, i was out there last year and i got pulled over by a inspections officer(wannabe cop) on the road from Vancouver to Whistler. he was sitting on the side of the road and i went flying by him at like 160km/h in a 90. The funny thing is, he came flying up behind me about 5 minutes later, i guess it took him a while to catch up to me. So hes like license and registration please, so i give it to him and he comes back and says my insurance is expired and that he called my isurance company and told them i was getting a ticket for dangerous driving and driving w/o proper insurance. he said i would get the ticket in the mail in a month or so, I havent got it yet, sucka. and the insurance company hasnt said anything about it.

Dude your driving without insurance!!!!

That's completely nuts, what happens if you hit a pedestrian and get sued for $300,000?

T5_X
03-28-2003, 03:14 PM

If you're singing to the radio, talking on the cell, whatever the case and your not aware of your speed you deserve a ticket. If your speeding to pass someone on deerfoot, dude your still speeding.

:werd: I totally agree.

For the 1% who don't really drive a car like a way a car is supposed to be driven isnt a true car enthusiast. If all you've ever done is 100 on deerfoot and never taken your car past 100....your kinda' a geek and not have lived life and I feel sorry for you.

This is sort of a statement I'd expect out of a 16 year old punk with a j-body, not you.

Being a car enthusiast has nothing to do with the way you drive on public roads. There are times to drive your vehicle hard, these are times when the risk to yourself, and more importantly, others is very low.

BTW, yes I am a dork :tongue:

Hollywood
03-28-2003, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Ranger_X31

This is sort of a statement I'd expect out of a 16 year old punk with a j-body, not you.

Being a car enthusiast has nothing to do with the way you drive on public roads. There are times to drive your vehicle hard, these are times when the risk to yourself, and more importantly, others is very low.

BTW, yes I am a dork :tongue:

The reason I say that is because I find it impossible fo a person to say they never speed ever and on belong to a car enthusiat forum. His reply about hitting someone is taking things to the extreme. I'm not saying going 100km in a 50km zone is cool, because it's not, and speeding in a school/playground zone is just plain stupid, but if your in a 80 zone and doing 90km or so or doing 110km on deerfoot.... who cares! This is what I'm trying to get across.