PDA

View Full Version : Hardtime finding employment

Clanche
04-17-2006, 09:50 PM
I been working as a sales rep for about 2 months now and its REALLY not working on. I love sales and I have worked in it before, but this job turned out to be a pure cold-calling 200+ calls a day telemarketing job.. so i'm looking for something else.

I've applied to so many postings in the past months on job sites like workopolis and monster but with little responses. Also dealing with the HR manager at my school trying to find positions for me, not sure if anything will come of it.

Looking for a fulltime businessish job but I'm opened to new industries and job times. I looked in the automotive industry but with little luck.

Wondering if I should go for a head hunter or if anyone has any suggestions on where I can look?

thanks!

A790
04-17-2006, 09:54 PM
First things first, let's see how your resume looks.

Clanche
04-17-2006, 10:08 PM
EDIT:

**THANKS FOR THE HELP WITH MY RESUME EVERYONE**

Clanche
04-17-2006, 10:11 PM
EDIT:

**THANKS FOR THE HELP WITH MY RESUME EVERYONE**

~Leah~
04-17-2006, 10:34 PM
Dude you should apply to Staffing Agencies, they can hook you up with some awesome jobs that aren't bullshit and pay well.

www.officejobs.com
www.expresspersonnel.ca
www.markstaffing.com
www.officeteam.com
www.friday.ab.ca

Spherion, Spirit Staffing, there's SOOOOOOOOOOOO many here... I got a crappyish job through Express a couple months ago, but then went for an interview with Office Jobs.com and they are AMAZING. Soooooo nice, and I had a great job within 2 days of seeing them. No experience or education in the area, but all because I'm extremely computer literate, intelligent, and have a personality.

Good luck with the search. Seriously. See one of the agencies.

Clanche
04-17-2006, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by ~Leah~
Dude you should apply to Staffing Agencies, they can hook you up with some awesome jobs that aren't bullshit and pay well.

www.officejobs.com
www.expresspersonnel.ca
www.markstaffing.com
www.officeteam.com
www.friday.ab.ca

Spherion, Spirit Staffing, there's SOOOOOOOOOOOO many here... I got a crappyish job through Express a couple months ago, but then went for an interview with Office Jobs.com and they are AMAZING. Soooooo nice, and I had a great job within 2 days of seeing them. No experience or education in the area, but all because I'm extremely computer literate, intelligent, and have a personality.

Good luck with the search. Seriously. See one of the agencies.

thanks man.. i wasn't too sure about head hunters but maybe i'll take your word for it and give it a go :thumbsup:

Mr. Burns
04-17-2006, 10:45 PM
Has to be better than telemarketing. I did that once when I was hard up for a job... I walked out after the first coffee break.

szw
04-17-2006, 10:52 PM
Do you pay to use headhunter services?

Clanche
04-17-2006, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Burns
Has to be better than telemarketing. I did that once when I was hard up for a job... I walked out after the first coffee break.

well its been over 2 months for me and its driving me insane... part of sales is not taking rejection personally but having people hang up and swear at you all day messes with your mood no matter what.. i don't want to get up in the morning and i haven't had that feeling in a long time which means something is definately wrong :(

anyone else have experience with headhunter companies or have any suggestions for me?

Clanche
04-17-2006, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by szw
Do you pay to use headhunter services?

i'm pretty sure most of them charge a fee.. can be quite expensive too

Weapon_R
04-17-2006, 10:55 PM
But that's only if they find you a job, which isn't too bad

szw
04-17-2006, 11:01 PM
Do you have to pay the fee if they get you a job offer that you don't accept?

Ben
04-17-2006, 11:13 PM
Y'know, when I worked at TELUS, I sat beside highschool dropouts and People with Masters. As much as I disliked the department I left, it was decent starting pay and they were good about benefits. Might want to toss your resumé in on their online site. You can just submit a resume and based on the stuff you list, they match it internally w/ appropriate jobs.

Some people say that they never get contacted back, but with the skills you list I cannot see that happening.

In perspective:

I left the company to pursue other things after being there for a few years, and then was called 8 months later to join a different dept for more money and better hours. All because I kept my resume updated on their detabase.

I was only there for another year and I left to pursue bigger and better things, but the experience was great. If you're looking to get started and build up some experience, they ARE a good company to work for, if you can get your head around the union (I basically ignored them all together and did my job how I saw fit).

This is a hard obstacle to get over, because people just starting out generally need experience AND education. Cant get one without the other it seems, but getting in w/ the evil telco put a lot of skills under my belt, and all the education they pay was beneficial for my personal development.

Getting in on the ground floor of a big firm is a good way to get going, especially w/ limited experience.

Also try Bell, and scour the Monster.ca/calgaryjobshop.ca/workopolis.ca sites, as well as the city of Calgary job postings.

I dont like to say it, but a lot of companies dont like to hire Devry grads. Cant say why, but thats just what I've observed.

ANyhow, best of luck, in a city like ours it's tough to understand why it's so easy to get a job, but so dificult to get a good one. When people at fast food joints are being paid the same as tech support and healthcare. But, keep lookin, you'll find something.

Clanche
04-17-2006, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by Ben
Y'know, when I worked at TELUS, I sat beside highschool dropouts and People with Masters. As much as I disliked the department I left, it was decent starting pay and they were good about benefits. Might want to toss your resumé in on their online site. You can just submit a resume and based on the stuff you list, they match it internally w/ appropriate jobs.

Some people say that they never get contacted back, but with the skills you list I cannot see that happening.

In perspective:

I left the company to pursue other things after being there for a few years, and then was called 8 months later to join a different dept for more money and better hours. All because I kept my resume updated on their detabase.

I was only there for another year and I left to pursue bigger and better things, but the experience was great. If you're looking to get started and build up some experience, they ARE a good company to work for, if you can get your head around the union (I basically ignored them all together and did my job how I saw fit).

This is a hard obstacle to get over, because people just starting out generally need experience AND education. Cant get one without the other it seems, but getting in w/ the evil telco put a lot of skills under my belt, and all the education they pay was beneficial for my personal development.

Getting in on the ground floor of a big firm is a good way to get going, especially w/ limited experience.

Also try Bell, and scour the Monster.ca/calgaryjobshop.ca/workopolis.ca sites, as well as the city of Calgary job postings.

I dont like to say it, but a lot of companies dont like to hire Devry grads. Cant say why, but thats just what I've observed.

ANyhow, best of luck, in a city like ours it's tough to understand why it's so easy to get a job, but so dificult to get a good one. When people at fast food joints are being paid the same as tech support and healthcare. But, keep lookin, you'll find something.

thanks alot for the post :) I was going to attend a Telus job fair a few months back but I got hired so I didn't end up going.. I'll check their site to see if they have another one soon.

BTW: Which resume do you guys prefer? the simplified one or the one with the professional skills?

Ben
04-17-2006, 11:49 PM
My Resumé is a combo of both.

Basically the top is #1 and the bottom is a similar verison of #2.

A790
04-18-2006, 12:01 AM
Add me to MSN and I'll help you out with your resume.

Lexxan
04-18-2006, 12:10 AM
lol i love how you say masters to high school dropouts when there's no fucking difference.. a degree doesn't make you smart.

Clanche
04-18-2006, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by Lexxan
lol i love how you say masters to high school dropouts when there's no fucking difference.. a degree doesn't make you smart.

a degree might not make you smart.. agreed.. but that doesn't change the fact that employers still look for them

brandon
04-18-2006, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by A790
Add me to MSN and I'll help you out with your resume.

I went to go add you but never noticed your email in your profile?
:dunno:

kenny
04-18-2006, 12:18 AM
Its great to list technical skills, but rather than just slap a bunch of acronymns on there perhaps list how much experience you have with each skill ;)

I have called up candidates to verify skills in the past and there are some people that put down stuff they have only heard about or read about but have no actual experience with it. Thanks!! I'm glad you know what CSS is but I need someone that doesn't need to look to google for help every 10 minutes :)

PS: I personally don't care if the applicant is a drop out or if he/she is a masters of whatever. Experience is all that matters.

A790
04-18-2006, 01:00 AM

You still need that piece of paper.

Good lick Nick... hope I helped you out a bit :)

msommers
04-18-2006, 02:09 AM

If you have done your degree properly, it should make you smarter and have an advantage over people in that particular field. You make it sound like getting a degree is a waste of time

~Leah~
04-18-2006, 06:12 AM
You obviously don't have post secondary education, Lexxan, for making a comment like that. I can tell in 5 seconds of talking to someone (usually) whether or not they have PSE at all. Even just 1 year. This is the time people learn to be critical thinkers and become responsible for their own actions. I just ranted about this on 306motorclub.com the other day in fact. A degree doesn't make you smart, however, it shows maturity, dedication, responsibility, and many other personality traits that usually aren't just picked up.

As well, as a side note, you never pay the agency a fee, the employer pays them for finding you. You just sit there and get paid. And if you work hard enough, most of those "temp" positions will turn temporary for you extremely fast.

Godfuader
04-18-2006, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by Clanche

thanks man.. i wasn't too sure about head hunters but maybe i'll take your word for it and give it a go :thumbsup:
I worked with Mark Staffing. Very nice people.
:thumbsup:

A degree doesn't make you smart, however, it shows maturity, dedication, responsibility, and many other personality traits that usually aren't just picked up.

:werd:

lint
04-18-2006, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Clanche

thanks alot for the post :) I was going to attend a Telus job fair a few months back but I got hired so I didn't end up going.. I'll check their site to see if they have another one soon.

BTW: Which resume do you guys prefer? the simplified one or the one with the professional skills?

If you've got a sales background, the group with Telus that you'll want to look into is CLSS (Client Loyalty Sales and Service). They're the ones who do warm calling, essentially upsell to the existing client base. And with the recent (last Nov) merger of Telus and Telus Mobility, they are pushing hard to cross sell products to their combined client base. Lots of opportunities, lots of growth and commission to be made.

khtm
04-18-2006, 08:47 AM
Typical response from someone with no post secondary education. :thumbsup:

Super_Geo
04-18-2006, 05:37 PM
How do you feel about construction? Long hours, $12/hr, but with the amount of overtime you work you'll get ~$3k/month. When I was working there as a summer job I made $13,500 in 3 months and a weeks (but I worked a shitload more OT than most people). You don't need to be huge to do the work, but the better shape you're in the easier you'll get into the groove. PM me if you're interested, construction season's startin right away and soon the crews will be filled :thumbsup:

Clanche
04-18-2006, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
How do you feel about construction? Long hours, $12/hr, but with the amount of overtime you work you'll get ~$3k/month. When I was working there as a summer job I made $13,500 in 3 months and a weeks (but I worked a shitload more OT than most people). You don't need to be huge to do the work, but the better shape you're in the easier you'll get into the groove. PM me if you're interested, construction season's startin right away and soon the crews will be filled :thumbsup:

I've worked in construction for a summer, doing excavation for Candos Construction.. wasn't bad but wasn't great either... $12/hr seems low when Chicken-On-the-Go is hiring starting at 14.50? i guess this town is crazy :rolleyes:

been looking at positions in banks... going to talk to a bank manager tomorrow.. anyone here have experience working in a branch? any good?

3G
04-18-2006, 08:56 PM
RBC @ 3810 Bow Trail Sw is a great place to work

kenny
04-19-2006, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by khtm

Typical post from someone that just blew $40000 and 6 years of their life for a few pieces of paper. :D

Lexxan
04-19-2006, 12:20 AM

yeah i don't and i bet i make more money than you do or will for the next 20 years. Post secondary are for non-imaginative people who are too dumb to learn the ropes at the bottom of the type of business they want to run then start their own company. Instead waste four to seven years of life making no money and going in debt(unless your parents pay). Still you're four+ years behind because you figured all you're capable of is a mcdonalds job for $8 an hour but yeah.. do what society tells you to do. Goto school and school.. and school. Get a job. brilliant :P

xrayvsn
04-19-2006, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by kenny

Typical post from someone that just blew $40000 and 6 years of their life for a few pieces of paper. :D

Hehe, I wish it was only $40,000 and 6 years for me. It's not for the pieces of paper, but for how many letters you can add after your name ;)

cman
04-19-2006, 12:39 AM

yeah i don't and i bet i make more money than you do or will for the next 20 years. Post secondary are for non-imaginative people who are too dumb to learn the ropes at the bottom of the type of business they want to run then start their own company.
Oh ya? Well my dad is tougher than yours!!!!!!! grrrrr.
I bet there are graduates of post secondary who make a hell of a lot more than you ever will. There is always going to be someone who makes more than you do regardless of education, or lack of.
Instead of jumping out and bashign everyone who chooses the education route, why don't you show your "superior" intelligence by posting some useful information for those who wish to follow in your foot steps.:thumbsup:

msommers
04-19-2006, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by Super_Geo

Do you know if they are looking for any electricians? Is OT required or optional? Personally I'd like to work lots of overtime but not be working 30 days in a row like I have sometimes being out of town. I got 4 months of no school and need to make the most of it! What is the norm 10's, 12's? I'm a 2nd year electrician and if you need a resume I have one available. Thanks!

msommers
04-19-2006, 03:04 AM

yeah i don't and i bet i make more money than you do or will for the next 20 years. Post secondary are for non-imaginative people who are too dumb to learn the ropes at the bottom of the type of business they want to run then start their own company. Instead waste four to seven years of life making no money and going in debt(unless your parents pay). Still you're four+ years behind because you figured all you're capable of is a mcdonalds job for $8 an hour but yeah.. do what society tells you to do. Goto school and school.. and school. Get a job. brilliant :P

Did you know the statistically, engineers for example, are starting out making 60,000 a year + signing bonus (This was in the Herald not that long ago, you may have seen it)?. Engineers up north can make 150,000 in a year at least. Moreover, do you know how much a surgeon will start out making? A hell of a lot more than you ever will, unless you plan on starting out at the bottom of a company and then somehow becoming a CEO or CFO. Don't tell me getting an education is a waste of time. The only way this is possible is if you don't take it seriously, consquently wasting TIME and MONEY.

"Post secondary are for non-imaginative people... "

I guess all those involved in medical research have no imagination then do they? They all must be mindless idiots killing/testing mice all day for the hell of it because they are so unimaginative they can't think of anything better to do with their time!!! Furthermore, I'm going to assume that you already know this but I'm going to reiterate it to you anyways, NOT EVERYONE IN POST-SECONDARY IS GOING INTO BUSINESS! Some don't want a desk-job so wouldn't "people who are too dumb to learn the ropes at the bottom of the type of business they want to run then start their own company" be wasting their time?

Another problem I know a lot of undergraduates face is that they honestly don't know what to do and parents say, go to school already! Going to school has given me the chance to explore multiple fields and has actually helped me determine what interests me the most, ie. the only classes I actually care about!

While I will agree that in our society it seems that if you don't go to school, you're deemed to be going nowhere. People both in and out of school know this is false. I've been on both sides of it.

In addition, I've done a trade for 2 years and was thinking a similiar train of thought as yourself. While people are in school, I'm making at least 70,000 a year working out of town, up north when I was 19! Then I came to realize that if I want to continue to make a lot of money, your life with consists of: being out of town, away from your family and all you end up knowing is work. Personally not my preference of lifestyle. I will admit that this is not the case for every trade, it is however a large majority.

On the whole, there are always going to be those snobby people who have earned a degree that will think they are higher/better than you ie. a degree holder looking down on a mechanic. While there are always going to be mechanics, for example, thinking that all people with degrees waste their time with school and are all snobs.

I didn't even realize how long this post is but the ignorance you displayed is very much objectionable. You should honestly think before you speak.

Prolifique
04-19-2006, 04:22 AM
The employent rate here has come to the level where they are willing to pay 15/hr in like fort Mcmurray and such, people have placement in demand now it's not longer the other way, right now you can basicaly say ok give me this much and i'll work, tables have turned but since population is increasing by the second the surplus and opportunities for jobs is endless, I wish ya luck in your search and if you want long hours decent pay until your on your feet a security job is alright and I can get you in the company since I know a few people who need some workers.

Alex_FORD
04-19-2006, 08:38 AM

hahaha sometimes its a typical response from someone that has a college diploma or a bachelors degree and has aquired alot of common sense from their work experience. They get jaded after working with newbies that don't have the same level of common sense.

If the truth be known, education is something that a person carries lightly on their shoulder( its never a burden) but its the amount of experience and common sense that makes or breaks you.

kaput
04-19-2006, 09:31 AM

Lexxan
04-19-2006, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by msommers

Did you know the statistically, engineers for example, are starting out making 60,000 a year + signing bonus (This was in the Herald not that long ago, you may have seen it)?. Engineers up north can make 150,000 in a year at least. Moreover, do you know how much a surgeon will start out making? A hell of a lot more than you ever will, unless you plan on starting out at the bottom of a company and then somehow becoming a CEO or CFO. Don't tell me getting an education is a waste of time. The only way this is possible is if you don't take it seriously, consquently wasting TIME and MONEY.

"Post secondary are for non-imaginative people... "

I guess all those involved in medical research have no imagination then do they? They all must be mindless idiots killing/testing mice all day for the hell of it because they are so unimaginative they can't think of anything better to do with their time!!! Furthermore, I'm going to assume that you already know this but I'm going to reiterate it to you anyways, NOT EVERYONE IN POST-SECONDARY IS GOING INTO BUSINESS! Some don't want a desk-job so wouldn't "people who are too dumb to learn the ropes at the bottom of the type of business they want to run then start their own company" be wasting their time?

Another problem I know a lot of undergraduates face is that they honestly don't know what to do and parents say, go to school already! Going to school has given me the chance to explore multiple fields and has actually helped me determine what interests me the most, ie. the only classes I actually care about!

While I will agree that in our society it seems that if you don't go to school, you're deemed to be going nowhere. People both in and out of school know this is false. I've been on both sides of it.

In addition, I've done a trade for 2 years and was thinking a similiar train of thought as yourself. While people are in school, I'm making at least 70,000 a year working out of town, up north when I was 19! Then I came to realize that if I want to continue to make a lot of money, your life with consists of: being out of town, away from your family and all you end up knowing is work. Personally not my preference of lifestyle. I will admit that this is not the case for every trade, it is however a large majority.

On the whole, there are always going to be those snobby people who have earned a degree that will think they are higher/better than you ie. a degree holder looking down on a mechanic. While there are always going to be mechanics, for example, thinking that all people with degrees waste their time with school and are all snobs.

I didn't even realize how long this post is but the ignorance you displayed is very much objectionable. You should honestly think before you speak.

i make over 200k a year doing oilfield and am currently starting my own directional company which means I will be in an office downtown very shortly. Oh wait one MWD kit alone will be pulling in 90k a month.. not to mention the mud motors and bogus charges that we get away with.. such as a $6,000 a day operating rate. So lets see I'll already be making around 150k a month and that will be going straight into more mwd kits and mud motors. So no I won't be away from town my whole life and yeah i'll never make more than a surgeon lol rightt. It's actually the dumb rigpigs who spend every paycheck they get.. cuz 8 grand a month is fuckall.

A question is though.. you say take a surgeon.. which is 7 years of med school and I believe it's like 12 years before you can even become a surgeon.. Not to mention the internship after 7 years at 60k year.. you're probably 300k usd down in school fees... time IS money and if you play it right while you're young making over 100 grand a year you'll come out on top of any surgeon would you not?

but yeah you're right I do just get sick of people who think they're so fucking smart with their degrees.. drunken rant to begin with.

szw
04-19-2006, 05:49 PM
douche alert

Lexxan
04-19-2006, 05:52 PM
lol yeah sorry you're most likely another bum driving a riced out 98 civic with rims and shit. nice comment though. "douche" lol

szw
04-19-2006, 06:05 PM
Would that make any difference? I'm glad you are making money, but you seriously sound like a 17 yo DOUCHE. The fact that you feel the need to brag about how much money you are making whlie calling others idiots is definately DOUCHE material. douche. Really, grow up man. I mean douche.

Celica TVS3
04-19-2006, 06:07 PM

.. not to mention the... bogus charges that we get away with.. .

Sounds like a solid business....:rolleyes:

Lexxan
04-19-2006, 06:08 PM
bragging He told me I wouldn't make fuck all so whatever.

Ben
04-19-2006, 06:09 PM
Can you kids please settle down and keep this thread SOMEWHAT mature?

Thanks.

MGMT

Sharpie
04-19-2006, 06:15 PM

i make over 200k a year doing oilfield and am currently starting my own directional company which means I will be in an office downtown very shortly. Oh wait one MWD kit alone will be pulling in 90k a month.. not to mention the mud motors and bogus charges that we get away with.. such as a $6,000 a day operating rate. So lets see I'll already be making around 150k a month and that will be going straight into more mwd kits and mud motors. So no I won't be away from town my whole life and yeah i'll never make more than a surgeon lol rightt. It's actually the dumb rigpigs who spend every paycheck they get.. cuz 8 grand a month is fuckall.

A question is though.. you say take a surgeon.. which is 7 years of med school and I believe it's like 12 years before you can even become a surgeon.. Not to mention the internship after 7 years at 60k year.. you're probably 300k usd down in school fees... time IS money and if you play it right while you're young making over 100 grand a year you'll come out on top of any surgeon would you not?

but yeah you're right I do just get sick of people who think they're so fucking smart with their degrees.. drunken rant to begin with.
May I ask what you do on the rigs to make over 200k?

Lexxan
04-19-2006, 06:17 PM
Directional work.. mwd is 735 a day and directional drillers are 1,200 a day+

check out a site.. www.phoenixcan.com Though they pay like shit.

sorry i actually tried to make a mature post but then i got called a douche.

kaput
04-19-2006, 06:26 PM

Prolifique
04-19-2006, 06:28 PM
(Typical response from someone with no post secondary education. ) Alex Ford. I'm not certain if your directing this statement to me after you read my reply on here however i'm in my 2nd year pre med in UOFC, yea shocking isn't it... so if that comment was directed to me think twice before wanting to impose someones potentials and status in society under yours. I very well maybe the guy to give you a second breath in life & my comment was not about educational standards since he wanted to get his feet in the door quick amongst all this you think trades jobs make less than you, infact while me and you are busting our asses off in a enclosed office networking drama filled babble or helping patients, these men work and in the end they make more than us since they can hold down their own company afterwards while sitting on some island drinking a coco loco. I may do my pre med but i'm gonna invest a hell lot in realestate and flip houses. Right now blue collar jobs so to speak can easily make more than a surgeons sallery depending in which state, Canada with it's health care we make barely zilt in terms of our health care being owned by the government, so again when that dude who's painting your walls of your house or making beams for your home think again on how much they pocket in the end.

statick
04-19-2006, 06:37 PM
^Hey man, I'm not too sure that U of C has a Pre-Med program. They Biological/Health/Natural Sciences, however no Pre-Med.

afrotl
04-19-2006, 06:48 PM
Wow :drama: How did a thread about a guy needing help finding a job turn into a bitchfest?:dunno:

xrayvsn
04-19-2006, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Prolifique
i'm in my 2nd year pre med in UOFC, yea shocking isn't it...

Wow, I must have missed that particular program while I was at U of C doing Biochemistry before medical school. Is it new?

:rolleyes:

This thread is just turning into a pissing match.:closed:

msommers
04-19-2006, 08:40 PM

I do have a couple questions for you.

1) How long have you been doing this as SAG-D technology hasn't been around that long?

2) What CDN school will charge you 300,000 for even 10 years of school? At U of C, approx. with tuition and books

8000 X 4 years = 32k. to get a science degree

11000 X (2 years is the minimum in med school for a family physician I believe, but for example sake say 6 years) 66k

32k + 66k = 98 k

Considering you are most likely a surgeon coming out of med school with 10 years of schooling behind you, care to take a look at thiswebsite I found on salaries (I selected cardiovascular surgery as this is what I want to get involved in) Also note that the source indicates that this information is from 1998, more than likely prevalent to the United States (which is usually where everyone heads off to it seems)and at least 3 years of practice is needed.

http://www.studentdoc.com/cardiovascular-surgery-salary.html

I think that this is all that needs to be said involving salaries.

Congradulations on your soon-to-be success. I'd love to be able to find a job that I could clear 600 a day and have no education at 18 years old. Figure if you work 14 hour days, roughly, you're going to have to be making 50 dollars an hour starting:rolleyes: I think you're still missing the point that not everyone wants to do hard labour, not everyone wants to work outside. In order to get jobs they want they will be required to go to school. Doing this is not a waste of time if it is really what you want to do.

While I won't ignore the fact that success is attainable without an education, it is certainly not a waste of time to get an education nor are post secondary institues filled with unmotivated zombie children doing as they are told.

kaput
04-19-2006, 08:54 PM

Goblin
04-19-2006, 09:08 PM
extremely computer literate, intelligent, and have a personality.
[/B]

receptionist? hehe just joking

xrayvsn
04-19-2006, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by msommers

11000 X (2 years is the minimum in med school for a family physician I believe, but for example sake say 6 years) 66k

32k + 66k = 98 k

Considering you are most likely a surgeon coming out of med school with 10 years of schooling behind you, care to take a look at thiswebsite I found on salaries (I selected cardiovascular surgery as this is what I want to get involved in) Also note that the source indicates that this information is from 1998, more than likely prevalent to the United States (which is usually where everyone heads off to it seems)and at least 3 years of practice is needed.

http://www.studentdoc.com/cardiovascular-surgery-salary.html

I think that this is all that needs to be said involving salaries.

Most people who get into medicine do 4 years of undergrad. Medical school is 4 years regardless of your specialty (there are 2 schools in Canada where you do 3 years, but you forfeit your first 2 summers and go straight through for 36 months).

After you get your MD, then you do residency. Family Medicine is 2 years, while most specialties are 5. Cardiovascular surgery (and some others) is 6 to 7, and most surgical programs encourage you to do a Master's degree, so add a year or 2 of research. Then if you want to work at a major centre, you do a year or 2 more of fellowship (subspecialty) training.

You do not go into medicine because you want to make lots of money. You do it because you have a calling.

Everyone has value, regardless of their job, education or salary. Money or education does not elevate someone to be superior to your fellow man. People have their own path, and we can't all follow the same one. Similarly, success should not always be measured by your income, regardless of your education.

We already have a thread on this. Let's allow this thread to get back on topic.

nerd_b
04-19-2006, 11:15 PM
"success should not always be measured by your income" :werd:

thats why there are art schools, people in art are not in it to make loads of money. they are happy as long as they can do something relating to art with there life. People spend four years and more of their life studying fine arts because they love it and want to learn. to some people knowledge is worth alot more then money.

I hate people who chase money, they can't see that not everyone needs to have mass amounts of money to have a fullfilling life.

szw
04-19-2006, 11:23 PM
The comment about art/etc degrees giving "applicable" degrees a bad name is horribly ignorant.

Alex_FORD
04-19-2006, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Prolifique
(Typical response from someone with no post secondary education. ) Alex Ford. I'm not certain if your directing this statement to me after you read my reply on here however i'm in my 2nd year pre med in UOFC, yea shocking isn't it... so if that comment was directed to me think twice before wanting to impose someones potentials and status in society under yours. I very well maybe the guy to give you a second breath in life & my comment was not about educational standards since he wanted to get his feet in the door quick amongst all this you think trades jobs make less than you, infact while me and you are busting our asses off in a enclosed office networking drama filled babble or helping patients, these men work and in the end they make more than us since they can hold down their own company afterwards while sitting on some island drinking a coco loco. I may do my pre med but i'm gonna invest a hell lot in realestate and flip houses. Right now blue collar jobs so to speak can easily make more than a surgeons sallery depending in which state, Canada with it's health care we make barely zilt in terms of our health care being owned by the government, so again when that dude who's painting your walls of your house or making beams for your home think again on how much they pocket in the end.

on the contrary, someone else wrote those words that used the"no post secondary " comment. I was merely responding to it.

I suggested that there are educated people with experience and common sense that get jaded about newbie idiots that run around waving their MBAs.

But, then I pointed out that I would rather be an educated person, with experience, and common sense, and an MBA - hahaha

statick
04-20-2006, 06:35 AM
:werd: up to all the people sayin' that money isn't everything, and that some people undergo specific education/pursue a certain career, for reasons other than finances.

msommers
04-20-2006, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by xrayvsn

Most people who get into medicine do 4 years of undergrad. Medical school is 4 years regardless of your specialty (there are 2 schools in Canada where you do 3 years, but you forfeit your first 2 summers and go straight through for 36 months).

After you get your MD, then you do residency. Family Medicine is 2 years, while most specialties are 5. Cardiovascular surgery (and some others) is 6 to 7, and most surgical programs encourage you to do a Master's degree, so add a year or 2 of research. Then if you want to work at a major centre, you do a year or 2 more of fellowship (subspecialty) training.

You do not go into medicine because you want to make lots of money. You do it because you have a calling.

Everyone has value, regardless of their job, education or salary. Money or education does not elevate someone to be superior to your fellow man. People have their own path, and we can't all follow the same one. Similarly, success should not always be measured by your income, regardless of your education.

We already have a thread on this. Let's allow this thread to get back on topic.

I will agree with you 100% on this but that fact that someone is flashing around how much they make to seem "higher" or more successful is just plain dumb and I wanted to show that for people with an education, it isn't waste if you want to fight dollar for dollar. That being said money isn't everything absolutely. Exact reason why I quit my job as an electrician and went to school to find something that you would want to wake up to, rather than considering quitting every morning. When it comes to helping people, pertaining to the medical field, for me, it is a sense of joy, pride and such a rush, depending on the situation of course. This is the reason and the drive I have to school and I'll be damned if I'm going to have someone tell me that I'm wasting my time.:drama:

AndrewMZ3
04-20-2006, 01:20 PM

200k+ and still looking to moonlight? http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=127223

Not trying to flame or anything, I just thought that was amusing.

Anyways, post secondary education isn't all about the money, it's about the quality of life and future stability. Everyone is bullish regarding the energy market right now, but this was also the case in the mid 80's and we all know what happened in the late 80's, early 90's. I for one hope the prices hold up since I'm employed at an E&P, but the irresponsible fiscal management of many firms leads myself, and many others, to believe a temporary decline in commodity prices will result in a crisis. True, most firms are budgeting at midcycle prices, but there's no assurance commidity prices will even remain above these levels. What I was getting at is although given todays economy, those without education are able to make a really good living, the economic conditions will always change and that's when a post secondary education is most valuable. I'm not saying those with PSE are of higher value, I'm just saying those with PSE aren't only out there to chase a quick buck so the value of PSE should not be limited to income.

On a side note, Energy traders make millions in bonuses annually :P

2000_SI
04-20-2006, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by afrotl
Wow :drama: How did a thread about a guy needing help finding a job turn into a bitchfest?:dunno:

Because this is beyond, and everyone must prove that thier e-wang is bigger than everyone elses...

max_boost
04-20-2006, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by AndrewMZ3

200k+ and still looking to moonlight? http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=127223

Not trying to flame or anything, I just thought that was amusing.

:werd: I would enjoy my downtime because after all, I pulled in $130k take home. :rofl:

Lexxan
04-20-2006, 04:36 PM
haha yeah I probably should since I hear it's going to be the busiest summer ever.

kane584
04-20-2006, 04:39 PM
apply at security, theyhie anybody with no criminal record and fluent english

v2kai
04-20-2006, 05:03 PM
sell some cell phones at rogers plus, if u can sell u can make some decent moola, or at wireless wave or soemthing

Celica TVS3
04-20-2006, 10:18 PM
Hey, have you found a new job yet? Just curious how your search is going.

Aaron.