PDA

View Full Version : Cold Air Intakes

vtec4life
04-17-2006, 10:00 PM
hey i just had a couple questions about ppl with cold air intakes in honda civics, i have a 98 DX and i was wondering if a short ram air would be louder than a cold air and if it would make any difference going with a cold air intake, plus what would be the best brand to go with and is there really a big difference between companies?

2.2vtec
04-17-2006, 10:02 PM
pretty much an intake is an intake and you wont notice any considerable different between brands, espcially if thats the only mod your putting on.

A790
04-17-2006, 10:02 PM
Cold air intakes and short rams are both louder than stock, and they both have a different sound. I'd pick a CAI simply because it makes a little bit more power.

As for brand, it's pretty generic. Just get a AEM, Injen, or something.

arian_ma
04-17-2006, 10:14 PM
It's just a pipe man, you can make your own, and just throw a filter on it. Don't waste 250$ on an AEM one, find yourself a nice ractive one for half that price.
And as for sound, Short ram is louder than cold air, simply because the filter is much closer and higher up, so that you can hear it more (from inside that is)

vtec4life
04-17-2006, 10:40 PM
so is it the filter that makes the big difference not the piping? plus i heard in calgary it doesnt make much of a difference anyway cuz the air is usually so cold that short ram is just as good as a cold air..and i do plan on doing other things to the car i just bought it...what about putting it in..is a CAI alot harder than a short ram?

liquidboi69
04-17-2006, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma
It's just a pipe man, you can make your own, and just throw a filter on it.
I duno if it's as simple as that. I've read on other forums that Injen has alot of bogging (hesitation) issues down in lower rpms, while AEM doesn't. So the pipe MIGHT actually make a differnce...or it's also possible that they're just imagining the loss of '5hp' which is characteristic of CAI's.

Also this bogging may cause CEL's to go on sometimes...thats why people get AEM instead of Injen...even tho Injen gives you more HP for the same money. But this isn't form personal experience.

There is however apparent differences between intakes at lower rpms tho (Dyno proven.) Normally..CAI's take away power at lower rpms and u gain some at higher rpms. More expensive intakes have less of a loss..

I doubt you'll notice it tho....all CAI's are about the same. SRI's u'll notice a big difference if your engines eating tonnes of hot air..then you'll probably notice the power loss.

Edit*
In addition, alot of people on newcelica.org forums have their CEL's go on when they install injen intakes..but not AEM. They even came up with a hybrid stock-Injen CAI (blue bomber mod) where they cut up their CAI ..and cut up their stock tube...then join the two for proper MAFS readings.

arian_ma
04-17-2006, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by vtec4life
so is it the filter that makes the big difference not the piping? plus i heard in calgary it doesnt make much of a difference anyway cuz the air is usually so cold that short ram is just as good as a cold air..and i do plan on doing other things to the car i just bought it...what about putting it in..is a CAI alot harder than a short ram?

Depending on your car, you might have to take off your front bumper, which can be a bitch. With the SRI, it's just take off old one and put on new one, literally a 5 minute mod. The filter is what gives you most of the better gas mileage, so IMO I'd say buy a shitty system with a K&N filter and you'll be noticing your 1 HP gain in no time.