PDA

View Full Version : Wrx/lgt

Aleks
04-18-2006, 07:23 AM
Test drove the new Accord coupe V6 manual, WRX, LGT yesterday. The subies really impressed me with how fun they were even if they weren't a lot quicker than the accord. If you guys were to chose one which would it be and why?

I liked both but the LGT was only $1200 more (non limited) and it was a lot nicer inside. WRX handled somewhat better. Any owners on board here? These are both 2006 models. Looking for overall ownership/satisfaction experiences.

TIA.

pitwipe
04-18-2006, 08:22 AM
I think you pretty much nailed it with the WRX and LGT. Both are quick and fun, the LGT is nicer inside and more 'classy' the WRX has a more sporty feel and better handling. It's down to personal choice which one you prefer, as they are both great cars.

From customer satisfaction perspective... I have yet to meet anyone who hasn't totally fallen in love with their Subie. So much character and fun... not much goes wrong with them either.

bspot
04-18-2006, 08:58 AM
LGT!!!

Best looking Subaru made to date.

Although some prick in a black one cut me off this morning :whipped:

Canadian 2.5RS
04-18-2006, 09:03 AM
I dont drive either but my dad has owned both (albeit an 02 WRX and and 05 Lgt) and he prefers the Lgt (much better than the 97 Lgt he drove before the WRX)

I have had the oppertunity to drive both and as stated above i found the WRX more sporty to drive but the Lgt was faster and much nicer/classy.

overall i would take the STI... oh wait that wansnt one of the options... I would take it anyways.:D

Pee_Sack
04-18-2006, 09:03 AM
It's gonna depend on if you would rather go more sporty or more luxury.

The WRX is a really fun car, but the interior isn't something to brag about.

The legacy, is one sexy ass car, and still a lot of fun to drive, but it is more of a luxury car.

Aleks
04-18-2006, 09:16 AM
The lady I took the car out with let me take the WRX on a gravel road yesterday :eek: ... haha that was my first experience driving an AWD car. Really impressed with her. The other guy there wouldn't even let me drive one a few weeks ago..

:burnout: :burnout:
:burnout: :burnout:

pitwipe
04-18-2006, 09:28 AM
Did you get the Scooby sideways? did ya? huh huh?? LOL. :D

First time I got my WRX sideways on gravel, I was amazed how easy it was to keep there by just bliping the throttle and making all 4 wheels spin while the engine barked like a pack of angry dogs!!! haha I had the biggest grin on my face! :angel:

CrvenaZvezda
04-18-2006, 09:50 AM
IMO I would go with the Legacy, just because it has a nicer interior, the performance is very close to the WRX, but the accord mmmmm VTEC!!!

Good Luck Aleks!!!

Aleks
04-18-2006, 09:55 AM
haha didn't get is sideways. didn't want to get too carried away. The accord was much nicer inside and the shifter was way better than in both subarus. It was also very quick but it just didn't excite me driving it. It was too quiet too refined for my tastes. My old man liked it a lot tho haha...

I'll go for another drive maybe this weekend and make my decision then.

pitwipe
04-18-2006, 12:44 PM
^ Hey Aleks, was it you that was running an Intregra that ran in the 13's at race city last year? Is that car still running?

Aleks
04-18-2006, 01:16 PM
Yeah that was me. Ran a best of 13.2. I sold that car last fall.

Have thought of having another project but don't know if i want to mess around. GF didn't like me messing with the teg all the time. Figure I might buy something that is plenty quick stock.

That.Guy.S30
04-18-2006, 07:06 PM
lgt. get a hipposleek kit and some rims and your in heaven.

Fuji
04-19-2006, 09:14 AM
I have both a subie, and 06 accord and another car. I like the accord for everyday driving. Its the lowest maint out of all of them and has the nicest interior for its price range. I'd get a subie as my second car since its really fun , but as a main car id go toyota or honda. Ther refinement is great.

If you take into account the luxury, better sound system, overall quality is a bit better you'd probably appreciate that more...

I went through this last year. LGT, A4, Lexus, Honda. The subaru felt cheap compared to the other cars. the interior is nice, but hte materials jsut weren't as nice as in the other cars... hence i never got the LGT (it was cheap tho -- loaded 40K 0.9% financing for 5 years)

That being said i saw the new camry and it looks nice!

Aleks
04-19-2006, 09:24 AM
thanks for the advice. When was the finance that low? :eek:
what time of year that is. I really liked the accord as I said but the subarus were more fun.

I am looking into possibly importing one from US (subaru) which would make it in the same price range as the Civic Si here. If I can get that done I think it would be worth it.

Fuji
04-19-2006, 09:28 AM
it was in nov/dec. If you can get it for that cheap I'd say do it, you cnat go wrong with it.

Personally I love the new golf GTi :) you should look at that !!

One thing you gotta keep in mind with the LGT is you'll want to mod it. At some point you'll probably want to be nice to the tranny too ... they arent glass but they have a tendancy to break. so no secret street for you!

I forgot to mention... the Mazdaspeed 6 is pretty nice and its in that price range... i think it might be better than the LGT :eek:

Aleks
04-19-2006, 09:40 AM
Yeah should have looked just before xmas. Some good deals back then.

I looked at the GTi, it's nice but Not a VW fan and a bit scared of their reputation for reliability.

MS6 is nice but once again i keep hearing about problems with ECU and heatsoak. Subaru interests me since they have done the AWD thing for a few years now in all their cars so that part of it is probably pretty good.

I am in no real rush to buy really so I'll take my time and drive as many cars as I can.

Fuji
04-19-2006, 10:39 AM
heatsoak is easy to fix... your gonna put a FMIC on the LGT if you get it anyways so the MS6 is no diff :P

Aleks
04-19-2006, 11:25 AM
Just got off the phone from a dealer in Seattle. New LGT Ltd is about $10-12K (CAN) cheaper there. :eek: I think I might do some research and try to get this going...

Fuji
04-19-2006, 01:16 PM
FYI. I got a Audi A4 for dealer cost from the US. The problem was once i added in all the costs and duty and tax it was only a couple grand cheaper at best and i know there were other costs i never accounted for, so i never ended up doing it. make sure you do ALL the calcs before going in on it.

duty on a japanses car is 6.7% +gst etc...

Aleks
04-19-2006, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

This is why I'll research all this. I think the LGT is built in US for the american market so the duty is 0 under NAFTA. (have to check this yet) Subaru has the highest discrepancy in the cost here vs US that i have seen so far. Bastards.

xrayvsn
04-19-2006, 08:12 PM
Did you call Joe Spitz at Carter?

You do not have to pay the 6.1% duty for the LGT, but you should give the Border Information Service a call 800-461-9999 to double check. I was initially worried about the warranty coverage, so I e-mailed both Subaru of America and Subaru Canada - there is a reciprocal warranty coverage in place, and SoA told me I would be covered.

I am going to Seattle in May to pick up an STi. I have everything in place, just need to finalize my decision with Joe, book my flight and drive it back.

I'm sure you've seen this thread already on legacygt.com:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24153

Aleks
04-19-2006, 10:00 PM
Yes I talked to the same guy. :D

You have a PM :thumbsup:

xrayvsn
04-19-2006, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
Yes I talked to the same guy. :D

You have a PM :thumbsup:

PM replied to.

Here is a cut and paste of the e-mail response from SoA Re: Warranty coverage.

Dear xrayvsn:
Thank you for visiting the Subaru web site and for your message!

The warranty on vehicles sold in the United States is mutually interchangeable with Subaru Canada's warranty and will be honored at any Subaru Dealer in the U.S. or Canada.

If you have any other questions, do not hesitate to reply to this email!

Best wishes,

Samir Hasan
Subaru of America, Inc.
Customer/Dealer Services Department
-----------------------------------------------------------
YOUR ORIGINAL MAIL:

Re: Subaru Warranty Coverage

I live in Alberta, Canada and hope to export a 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STi from the USA for my personal use in Canada. I notice from the Subaru of America website that "Any and all repairs must be performed by an Authorized Subaru dealer located in the United States." The nearest United States Subaru dealer from here if I needed warranty service is over 6 hours away, in Montana.

Is there a way I can still obtain warranty coverage in Canada from a Canadian Subaru dealership for an exported United States vehicle?

Thank-you for your time,
xrayvsn

Fuji
04-20-2006, 09:52 AM
Why is there no duty on the LGT? It's still made mostly in Japan is it not?

CRXguy
04-20-2006, 11:59 AM
I think they have a production plant in the U.S now, at least for the LGT.

WRXchic
04-20-2006, 04:15 PM
I drive a 2006 WRX. Even for me as a girl, it is really fun to drive.
I test drived the LGT before, for me, the style is a bit too old..

WRX is 100% made in Japan, and LGT is made in US.

I always think Japan made is always better than America made, even from the same company. Different model made in different country, depends on the car model and $$.
You can always check the series number to see where the car is made.

xrayvsn
04-20-2006, 04:15 PM
The Legacy, Outback, Tribeca and Baja are made in Lafayette, Indiana. You can also do a quick check of dealership stock thru the subaru.com site and check the VIN. 1, 4 or 5 in the first portion of the VIN indicates that the United States is the country of manufacture.

For example, a VIN for an 06 Legacy GT Limited pulled from the stock at Carter: 4S3BL676054220462 - US country of manufacture. A 2006 WRX has a VIN of JF1GD79646G515303 - the J means a Japanese country of manufacture.

Other LGTs have a 4 as the first digit on the VIN as well. The only other sticking point is that the vehicle must have over 50% of its individual parts also manufactured in North America. This is why you should double check with the BIS (Border Information Service) to see if this is the case with the vehicle you are interested in importing.

bigbadboss101
04-24-2006, 05:26 PM
A while ago I tested the G35, LGT, TL etc. In the US the LGT a bit lower in price than the TL but here in Canada they are somewhat close in price.

Agree with the other posts. TL or Accord has nice interior while the LGT is a more exiting to drive. Depends what you value more. Personally I like the TL cuz of all the goodies. Might say the same about the Accord.