PDA

View Full Version : fixing an old prelude

maestro
04-18-2006, 11:49 AM
I'm the owner of an old '86 Prelude 2L Si, 5 spd.

The biggest problems with it are:

- The front and rear main seals on the motor are leaking on it, and need to be replaced. I have been driving it all along.

- The air conditioning compressor (or pump) seized on me some time ago and now the system needs to be re-vamped

- And it likely needs a wheel alignment as the steering wheel vibrates a lot at high-way speed above 80k.

This all adds up to more $$ than I have, and I do not have the motivation to take it to Honda or any other garage because of the cost that they will incur to fix it. A lot of people will also say it's not worth fixing.

I would be pretty happy with just the main motor seals being replaced and an wheel alignment done, but I do not have the tools, skills, or a place to do the job.

If there happens to be a mechanic or someone who feel like taking on this kind of project for "extra cheap" or you just need something to do, please contact me at [email protected]

Primer_Drift
04-18-2006, 12:00 PM
I've owned 4 of these 2nd gen preludes, I have a few spare parts kicking around still. The front main is easy, the rear main not so much. Your cam seal is most likely leaking also, as is your valve cover gasket (the most notorious leaks). Your A/C will also need to be coverted to the updated standard (Freon R-12 -> R-134a) to be recharged.

FYI the 1986's were called SE not Si, that was 1987 onward.

maestro
04-18-2006, 12:14 PM
I know the tranny has to come out if the rear seal is to be replaced.

I also won't be surprised to possibly find that more than just these two seals need replacing once you get in there all the way with the motor out.

With your parts around, is this you suggesting that you'd take on the job, or is this not the case?

Primer_Drift
04-18-2006, 12:18 PM
I would but I have no room or time to do so. I have a valve cover gasket for sure that you could have for free, PM me about it if you need it.

How do you know the rear main is leaking? Its usually quite difficult to tell, unless it's pouring out.

Thaco
04-18-2006, 12:36 PM
the shimmy at high speads could be from something as simple as a wheel weight falling off... check the cheaper things first.