PDA

View Full Version : Too many options on decks...

BigBanana
03-26-2003, 10:27 AM
Does anyone out there know of an excellent 'sound quality' deck?? Went to Future Shop and Visions, way too many to decide from. Are there any out there that are worth buying??
Need one this summer. Oh yeah, it's for a Civic too.
Any help would be much appreciated.
:dunno:

D'z Nutz
03-26-2003, 10:48 AM
I would take a look at the Alpine and Pioneer (more specifically the Premier line). Best bang for your buck. I'm sure a lot of people are going to suggest Sony and Panasonic, but IMO, they're more bells and whistles than anything.

BigBanana
03-26-2003, 11:07 AM
I've heard Sony is shit so those are out of the question. Don't get me wrong. Some do look nice but for quality wise. They're not that good. What about kenwood?? Anybody hear anything about those??

Weapon_R
03-26-2003, 11:10 AM
They're all fine. Most of those decks have about the same sound quality. It basically comes down to looks.

rayray
03-26-2003, 11:40 AM
i like Clarion, Alpine and the Premiere line of Pioneer. i'd stay away from Sony and Panasonic unless you're going for their higher end stuff. you must have a budget... so limit your choices that fit within your budget. then narrow those choices down to the ones that have the most features you would like to have. then test them out by having the salesperson play some tacks that you would listen to. process of e

it helps to know what all the features mean as well so that you're not bowled over by all the tech talk that some salespeople try to wow you with. "what?! it's single DIN with detachable motorized faceplate... WOW... COOL!!!... i'll take it!" :D

-rayray

JohnnyBlaze
03-26-2003, 01:20 PM
i got a kenwood and its pretty sweet :thumbsup:

Nate
03-26-2003, 01:43 PM
Pioneer is good. I have Pioneer Premier 640 for sale, and a 12 disc changer. The deck is in mint shape.

jdmakkord
03-26-2003, 01:47 PM
Alpine. Even there lower end decks have better sq than most of the rest in the market. Read any car audio magazine, they all use alpine.

ReferenceF
03-26-2003, 01:48 PM
I've heard that a higher up alpine deck is just money

jdmakkord
03-26-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by ReferenceF
I've heard that a higher up alpine deck is just money

huh? The higher up alpine decks come with 5.1, mp3,dvd, built in eq's, etc. Not to mention, try putting a mp3 disk into a clarion deck....wait for the files to load. Then try with an alpine. They are way faster. The sound quality in the high end alpines is unmatched my any of the other products mentioned in this thread.

bol
03-26-2003, 03:44 PM
I bought the alpine cda-7998 and it kicks ass

ecstasyracer
03-26-2003, 03:46 PM
I'm very happy with my Pioneer deh-p7300 I think it is. Theres so many different sound settings on it that once I found what I liked its sounds better than other decks that I have had. And the screen looks pretty cool to with the little videos on it.

kenny
03-26-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by jdmakkord

huh? The higher up alpine decks come with 5.1, mp3,dvd, built in eq's, etc. Not to mention, try putting a mp3 disk into a clarion deck....wait for the files to load. Then try with an alpine. They are way faster. The sound quality in the high end alpines is unmatched my any of the other products mentioned in this thread.

Hehe kind of interesting how sound quality and mp3s are in the same argument! hehe just poking fun =] but I don't notice mp3s being too slow to load in a clarion deck, it plays almost immediately and song changes are instant just like regular audio cds. The early pioneer mp3 decks on the other hand were quite bad for song changing (roughly 3 seconds).

jdmakkord
03-26-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by kenny

Hehe kind of interesting how sound quality and mp3s are in the same argument! hehe just poking fun =] but I don't notice mp3s being too slow to load in a clarion deck, it plays almost immediately and song changes are instant just like regular audio cds. The early pioneer mp3 decks on the other hand were quite bad for song changing (roughly 3 seconds).

I was at audio concepts and two of the alpine reps were there. They took a mp3 disk loaded down with tons of files and stuff, tried it in the clarion deck. It took forever for it to read the files. The alpine one took seconds.

BAMbunch
03-26-2003, 04:58 PM
I love my alpine - in almost 2 years it has never skipped! :D

That.Guy.S30
03-26-2003, 08:19 PM
go with alpine or the high end clarion. and please stay away from sony.

ACS-e36
03-27-2003, 01:48 AM
i like alpine... excellent quality and i see em most in magazines too

Gondi Stylez
03-27-2003, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by jdmakkord

:werd:

i got alpine (well had) gettin a new one tho!! and loved it! no problems at all! best deck out there IMO!:thumbsup:

redline
03-27-2003, 11:18 AM
Alpine or Eclipse are the only decks to buy!

Ajay
03-27-2003, 12:40 PM
I have a Pioneer DEH-P7400 and I'm DEFINETLY happy with it. Pioneer is pretty much the only deck I buy cause every Pioneer I've owned has been great to me.

Kenwood makes alot of nice decks as well and from what I hear the internal amp in a Kenwood is one of the most powerful out there. I'm not a big fan of Alpine cause every Alpine I've owned turned out to be a big POS but the Alpine's I owned were low end models. I hear their high end stuff is pretty good but since it's high end it's gonna definetly cost you more.

Guess it really depends on how much you wanna spend?! My personal suggestions are Kenwood and Pioneer and I would DEFINETLY stay away from Sony and Panasonic like many on here have said.

KoukiS14
03-28-2003, 09:00 PM
///ALPINE ALL THE WAY

dogstar
04-01-2003, 12:26 PM
alpine or nakamichi

alpines are great decks, but nakamichi is a whole nother level of sound quality

D'z Nutz
04-01-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by dogstar
nakamichi is a whole nother level of sound quality

And a whole other level of pricing too :(

moose_8
04-01-2003, 09:14 PM
i like the new ghost one its trick

GT2NV
04-03-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by surfertech
go with alpine or the high end clarion. and please stay away from sony.
ive got an alpine but best for sound quality is a clarion higher end.. but they tend to have more problems then even sonys... trust me i worked in A&B sound warantee, if your gonna buy a deck go pioneer or alpine best quality with least problems:thumbsup:

That.Guy.S30
04-03-2003, 11:44 PM
yea i know clarion rigth now is forgettin about the lower end shit and focusing on the high end mcintosh.! i heard this years decks are crz shit. but i was refering to the older clarion models. the drx series. they are really really good decks

spike7ss
04-03-2003, 11:52 PM
I have had several Pioneer decks, from the normal line to the Premeir line, which i currently have a premier DEH-P630, and i cant get the dam thing to skip, even when im 4x4ing, i will only buy pioneer after the sweet stuff i have bought previously from them

TalonVelocity
04-04-2003, 04:22 PM
are sony's really that bad?? or just not the greatest? cuz i just bought one.. its 220 new I think, forget the model, but Im not lookin to get anything supergood either

TalonVelocity
04-04-2003, 04:23 PM
heh spike7ss, Im from Leduc too :P

a_peep
04-04-2003, 05:36 PM
For me it goes:

Pioneer, followed very closely by Alpine, and then Kenwood.