PDA

View Full Version : Problems with my mom's 91 Tauras station wagon

88CRXGUY
04-18-2006, 04:04 PM
My mom just got a car, and she said that there seems to be something wrong with the engine. I haven't seen the car for myself yet, but she said that the engine sounds like the exhaust. She also said that when she goes up hill the engine sounds like the exhaust and then the engine starts to shake. From what it seems when the car is uphill the engine seems like that isn't getting enough gas. When she starts the car, and the car is idle the noise isn't there. I told her that I would ask around and maybe you guys can help me out. If you guys know anything to what this possibly could be let me know, thanks.

Graham_A_M
04-18-2006, 05:30 PM
Honestly man, I'd hate to break it to you, but those cars have NO resale value (thats probably why she got a "bargain" on it) because their absolute disasters. Those are the WORST model years too, the SHO's are bottom of the heap, apparently the Yamaha built SHO engine is horendous to work on, with a lengthy list of problems, and incredible repair bills.

I'm sure she got it for hardly anything. She should really sell it man, or just scrap it and save the next buyer, from finding out what SHE just found out. If you were to do a carfax report on the car, I think you'd find a high number of owners with that car, and other Taurus' & Sables alike. Whatever is causing THIS, is just the tip of the iceberg. I know a guy that has a Mercury Sable, which is just a sister to the Taurus. He's the original owner, and over the course of 270,000km's he's put on it, he's sunk over $25,000 into the car, in one way or another. He's on his 2nd transmission, and 3rd front end. The ONLY thing he hasn't replaced on it was the engine. thats IT. Why he insists on holding onto it, and continually sinking money into it, is beyond me, I honestly dont know. :nut:

So, like I say, I know I wasn't much of a help to your question, but hopefully I gave you and your mom a pretty huge "money & headache" saving tip towards the car in general.

88CRXGUY
04-18-2006, 05:36 PM
Yeah I don't want her sinking all this money and shit into it. The car has 300,000 on it. She wants to talk it in and see what else maybe wrong with it, but since that the car has high k's and its just old, there isn't really any point. Now that I think about it, she should just drive it until it dies. But I guess thats what you get when you get a car for free. Thanks for the help...

Graham_A_M
04-18-2006, 05:43 PM
^ I was guessing she brought it for less then $300. Thats usually the selling price on those older Taurses/Sables. For free doesn't surprise me at all. I know Pick & Pull offers $40-60 for cars of that like.

Oh well, I'm glad I helped.

rage2
04-18-2006, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by 88CRXGUY
Yeah I don't want her sinking all this money and shit into it. The car has 300,000 on it. :eek:

How the hell did that happen? haha 300,000k, that's amazing for a taurus.

I've seen a taurus wagon rust to the point the whole steering rack fell out of the car in a parking lot. Driver lost all steering control, it was funniest thing I've ever seen. All this at around 160,000k haha.

Anyways for your problem, I've seen similar symptoms in the same Taurus that lost the steering rack. The transmission started to die, and at anything over (guesstimate) 2500rpm, the tranny gets super loud and the whole car shakes.

3G
04-18-2006, 06:11 PM
:rofl: Listen to everyone and scrap that pos, we had a 93 the newer gen and it was total pos

88CRXGUY
04-18-2006, 07:05 PM
I dunno, Ive tried to get my mom to get import, but what can I do. Ive never owned a domestic and I never will, I am trying to get my mom to change her mind. I am going to see the car in a couple of weeks, and talk her and she what she says..Thanks you guys for all your help.