PDA

View Full Version : 1991 Fairlady importing problems.. suggestions?

Graham_A_M
04-18-2006, 07:26 PM
HI, A friend of mine is trying to import a 1991 Fairlady (300ZX). He's going through J-spec imports. Basically: the car is denyed entry, because the headlights aren't DOT approved. :thumbsdow
I was thinking: perhaps he should get some north-american spec headlamps, and get them installed on the car, with verification of doing this. Maybe that would work.

He hasn't paid for the car yet, but its basically his car when it does clear the border customs.

Doing so is really a problem though, any suggestions or help would be forwarded on to him.
HUGE Thanks in advance.

Weapon_R
04-18-2006, 07:32 PM
Does he forfeit his deposit if he walks away?

RB25DET
04-18-2006, 10:50 PM
He's in BC right? I have heard of issues insuring the cars, but i havent heard anything about denying entry because of DOT headlights.

theken
04-18-2006, 11:27 PM
how does that work? mine didnt have a problem

RickDaTuner
04-18-2006, 11:41 PM
the 15 year rule supersedes all rules and regulations that prohibit certain aspects of a veichle...

Rules such as DOT approvals only apply to new(er) cars and individual components which are to be mass produced and distributed to the general public.

in all i have read on the RIV website it say about headlights and every other piece like that...

Heck if they are checking for DOT certifications before allowing a car come over, then non of them should really be here since most JDM tires don't bare DOT certifications... :dunno:

something smells fishy

Prolifique
04-19-2006, 01:57 AM
there's a nice fairlady i'm not certain it's still for sale but under the alias of "sinatra" he's got a nice looking one only thing is it's an auto based vehicle, thought maybe your friend should look at it before doing an import decision.

Graham_A_M
04-19-2006, 09:45 PM
He's right here in Calgary, This is through J-spec imports. Should he go elsewhere? I dont think he put anything down on it yet.

I know they're being imported for the most part, I've seen a few fairlady's around. Does J-spec imports just suck, and he should go to a different broker?

I'd give a DIRECT link to the actual car, but when I copy and paste a URL, it just forwards right to page one of their inventory listing. So that wouldn't be of any help.

Felix_the_Cat
04-19-2006, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Prolifique
there's a nice fairlady i'm not certain it's still for sale but under the alias of "sinatra" he's got a nice looking one only thing is it's an auto based vehicle, thought maybe your friend should look at it before doing an import decision.

Went and looked at it. If they didnt delete what i wrote in the ad, you will see all the problems i saw with it. And it was not a short list.

**edit:
Heres what i wrote.

"went and drove it today. Smelled antifreeze and burning oil. Read inspection sheet, and it stated leaking steering box, and rear main seal. Owners father stated as well that the rear of the valve cover may be leaking as well.

Had a little odd idle, but when driven the transmission was solid, and the engine still pulls very well. Overall condition of exterior was good, but both of the little mud flaps on the rear were coming off, i could see what looked like a bit of bubbling under the paint on the rear spoiler, and the rear drivers side tire is pooched.

Interior is in excellent shape, with the exception of the steering wheel. Aftermarket deck, also with a MiniDisc player. Engine bay was fairly clean, and paint was great with just a couple of little scratches.

Rims had a bit of rash, but the rims new were probably around $2500-3000. They were very nice, and compliment the vehicle nicely.

Car rides nice at low speeds, but because of the fucked up tire, it rides like a dishwasher at highway speeds.

Oil pressure sending unit is not working, and cruise control doesnt function due to steering wheel change.

Xenons installed, but only the projectors work. The day time lights, and high beams do not work.

PS. Horn doesnt work. lol"

Prolifique
04-19-2006, 10:01 PM
Well so much for that advice, I think you better get one from Japan... and thanks for the note above you should mention that in his thread although i'm sure that wouldn't be fair to him.. just give a heads up on it maybe.

Genjuro
04-19-2006, 10:04 PM
im having some troubles with j-spec too but the 15 year rule eliminates that so i dont know whats going on... weird..

Felix_the_Cat
04-19-2006, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Prolifique
Well so much for that advice, I think you better get one from Japan... and thanks for the note above you should mention that in his thread although i'm sure that wouldn't be fair to him.. just give a heads up on it maybe.

I did post it in the thread. Its not all bad, i did comment many things, and he knows it. And he is a very very nice guy too.

Graham_A_M
04-19-2006, 10:22 PM
^ Too bad he was stuck with a lemon then.

If J-spec is notorious for that, then I'll tell him that. thanks for the heads up Genjuro.

Thanks to everybody so far. Any other suggestions?

Genjuro
04-19-2006, 10:35 PM
np even though im still trying to get something from j-spec.. damn them nice cars... heh

RB25DET
04-19-2006, 11:52 PM
JSpec is a good company. I'm not sure what issues you guys are having, but any JDM car has risks. It is no ones fault really, sometimes you just dont luck out. I know people who have gotten cars from them and couldnt be happier.

On a side note, if you are looking at going through someone else, shoot me a PM, I sort of do it on the side and I am cheap. Thanks, chris.

meowbig
04-24-2006, 01:03 AM
to all u who are trying to pass your jdm cars
I guss the goverment is now cracking down on all the cars that do not have the dot marks. it say in the goverment safty manual it must have dot marks. All the inspectors were just passing all those cars but it should not of had. so who ever owns a jdm car now will have problems down the road. even it has pass before , it will fail if it goes buy the book

RB25DET
04-24-2006, 01:36 AM
http://www.jdmoc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6075

There we go people.

mx73someday
04-24-2006, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
HI, A friend of mine is trying to import a 1991 Fairlady (300ZX). He's going through J-spec imports. Basically: the car is denyed entry, because the headlights aren't DOT approved. :thumbsdow

The car is not denied entry into Canada. The Federal government does not require that you comply a 15 year old vehicle with any safety standards, including provincial standards before it enters Canada. This compliance is only necessary for when you go to a provincial inspection for registeration after importation.

To say that it's denied entry implies that no one can import a vehicle if it doesn't have DOT equipment, and this not true.

J-Spec Imports
05-11-2006, 12:46 AM
Hi guys,

this thread has just been brought to my attanetion and I thouht it was important that I put a reply in here.

Please note that we are in NO way linked or affiliated with the J-Spec Imports referred to in this thread. We are www.j-specimports.ca (http://www.j-specimports.ca) and any others with this name have NOTHING to do with us. The company who call themselves J-Spec Imports in Saksetchewan has taken our name and tries to trade off our good reputation worldwide, as you can understand it is very frustrating when they then start to ruin OUR reputation with poor cars and service. So please note, the clowns in Sasketchewan with our name we do not endorse and we do not recommend in any way!

Just had to get that off my chest :)

AE92_TreunoSC
05-12-2006, 01:29 AM
Hey guys, I work at a shop that inspects a lot of imports from out of country and we just got a harsh fax today from the Alberta Traffic board, regarding exactly what you are talking about.

The main concerns are the non-DOT headlights, unsafe bumpers, non certified windshields and day time running lights.

Anyway, we've flunked a few vehicles on the out of province, due to illegal suspension mods, poor headlights, and non-DOT tires.

But the only thing is, I really dont see why the car is being refused without even being privately inspected.

AllGoNoShow
05-12-2006, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by J-Spec Imports
Hi guys,

this thread has just been brought to my attanetion and I thouht it was important that I put a reply in here.

Please note that we are in NO way linked or affiliated with the J-Spec Imports referred to in this thread. We are www.j-specimports.ca (http://www.j-specimports.ca) and any others with this name have NOTHING to do with us. The company who call themselves J-Spec Imports in Saksetchewan has taken our name and tries to trade off our good reputation worldwide, as you can understand it is very frustrating when they then start to ruin OUR reputation with poor cars and service. So please note, the clowns in Sasketchewan with our name we do not endorse and we do not recommend in any way!

Just had to get that off my chest :)

Can vouch for these guys, very helpful, willing group of guys to deal with and bring a car into Canada with. Hopefully you didn't get screwed over by someone else, the true J-Spec guys are great to deal with and help out in any way possible!

TTZcar
06-01-2006, 09:21 PM
I have brought a 1991 Fairlady to B.C., Canada and know all ins and outs of the whole prosses. Would be glad to help
Dave
[email protected]

TTZcar
06-01-2006, 09:26 PM
I also know of all regs to date and new regs coming for JDM imports as I know an insider helping the transport minister of B.C. write the new regs.