PDA

View Full Version : quiting smoking repercussion's

Lo)2enz0
04-19-2006, 04:09 PM
ok, since i quit smoking i have started to eat ALOT more. in the past 3 weeks i have gained 15 pounds and have been gaining more each week. it might have to do with how i quit smoking cause i decided that if i ever craved a smoke i would have something to eat instead. lol ya bad idea but i have tried everything to stop smoking and this seems to be the best thing to work for me. even with exersice of running 5-6km's a day i am still gaining weight.

so it looks like a diet will be next on my list, but the way i am seeing it, getting a bit chubby is better than to keep on puffing.

so what other repercussion's have you guys seen?

BigShow
04-19-2006, 04:12 PM
You should try weightlifting!! I wish I could gain weight like that!!!

1-Cent
04-19-2006, 04:15 PM
Not getting cancer.

Lo)2enz0
04-19-2006, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by BigShow
You should try weightlifting!! I wish I could gain weight like that!!!

i have to go to physio before i start doing weights. both my shoulders have really bad problems, esspecially my right one.

Hakkola
04-19-2006, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Lo)2enz0

i have to go to physio before i start doing weights. both my shoulders have really bad problems, esspecially my right one.

Then do leg excersizes, abs and back, there are a couple back excersizes I can think of where you don't need to use your arms at all.

BigShow
04-19-2006, 07:52 PM

ah physio, congrats for dropping your bad habit though :thumbsup:

kaput
04-19-2006, 08:07 PM

D. Dub
04-19-2006, 08:28 PM
Besides

chubby > dead

:D

2000_SI
04-19-2006, 08:38 PM
:werd:
When i quite smoking, I gained a lot of weight to, I jsut needed something to do as a habit during those times that I would normally be havin a cig, so i munched.

After a little while i realized this wasnt working, so i started filling my free time with going to the gym and going to taekwon-do more often.. i was going to tkd 6 days a week jsut so that i would be so busy all the time that i wouldnt even think about smoking or eating instead. Just try and make yourself as busy as possible so you dont have time to think about trying to munch out.

That was a year and a bit ago, and to this sday i still feel that:
Quiting Smoking = Best thing i ever did :D

The_1
04-19-2006, 09:41 PM
what did you use to stop smoking??
i try using the patch witch works but when i take it off i end up smoking again

2000_SI
04-19-2006, 09:46 PM
I quit cold turkey :thumbsup:

Melinda
04-20-2006, 08:40 AM
When Rolland quit the first time he got wicked pneumonia. The second time he quit he got a bad lung infection. Not super common as far as I know, but yeah, that's what happened! He gained weight too, but that was probably good for him cause everyone said he needed it :P

Alex_FORD
04-20-2006, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by The_1
what did you use to stop smoking??
i try using the patch witch works but when i take it off i end up smoking again

your problem might not be quiting, it sounds like your problem is "starting"

At least that was my problem, I used the patch successfully 3 times, but the first 2 times I was crazy enough to get hooked again by beleiving that I could be a casual smoker.

its funny how quickly I forgot that smokes were addictive. :rofl:

Accord_tunerx
04-20-2006, 08:44 AM
werid i just quit cold turkey...i am actually losing weight?:confused: i eat less like once a day..but congrats too! very hard:thumbsup:

QuasarCav
04-20-2006, 08:46 AM
I'm on day 6 without smoking, I have so much extra ebergy that it's off setting how much food i eat.

Yesterday I eat 200g of nuts and 150g of chocolate for dinner than I ran around like a maniac for a few hours with the dog.

Dont you feel so much better?

Khyron
04-20-2006, 08:47 AM
When I quit I gained 20-30 pounds, I just accepted it for a year or two until I was positive I wouldn't start up again. Then started the road of shedding the pounds. Don't try and fight two things at once, get the smokes gone, then diet later. Though you could try to not eat chips and absolute garbage when snacking - maybe partial garbage instead?

Khyron

Lo)2enz0
04-20-2006, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Melinda
When Rolland quit the first time he got wicked pneumonia. The second time he quit he got a bad lung infection. Not super common as far as I know, but yeah, that's what happened! He gained weight too, but that was probably good for him cause everyone said he needed it :P

i know how he feels. before when i tried to quit i would always get really sick and it was so bad i ocyldn't handle it anymore. and when i started smoking again it would go away.

Alex_FORD
04-22-2006, 10:04 AM

so what other repercussion's have you guys seen?

After about 5 years of not smoking, you are going to be very unsympathetic about other people's right to smoke.

Smoking is just one of those things that even the ex-smokers think its f#cken retarded.

Tha VZA
04-22-2006, 10:37 PM
lung stuff for sure as melinda said

coughing up a whole bunch of shiz happens as well, used to smoke cigars pretty regulary, dont much anymore, man when i stopped for a while, cougu cough cough

ciao

4bier
04-22-2006, 10:49 PM
been 4-5 month for me but i must say smelling it at times smells real good and sometimes smell like shiet cant wait to say it always smells like shiet cold turkey for me smoked 15 years good luck

Unknown303
04-27-2006, 07:07 AM
Congratulations everyone who quit. I'm also on the quiting bandwagon. been about 2 years for me now i believe, i also quit drinking at the same time. And i have seem nothing but great improvements in my health since then. Best thing you could ever do is quit. Once you get over the coughing shit up its all smooth sailing after that.

joyridder
04-27-2006, 08:21 AM
My quit Date is May 1...I have been smoking for 8yrs or so, I am 27 now So I thought better now than later. For the past month or so I have been on this site http://alberta.quitnet.com/., preparing myself for the big day. They give you lots of great tips, plus there is support on there if you need it. Check it out, its not that bad! Finding things to do will be challenging, but the money that I will save is definitely a motivator. I also hate the fact that when I have a smoke at work and have to get on the elevator I stink! Others look around to see who was smoking and I hate that feeling! I am quite excited really about quiting! (hopefully lol):clap: :clap: :clap: :cry:

Zero102
04-27-2006, 09:04 AM
To everybody on here who has quit, or is trying to quit, :thumbsup:

Great job.
What repurcussions? Hopefully (if you have it) your smoker's cough will clear up, you will miss a lot less days of work due to being sick, your legs will get bigger from carrying around a full wallet all the time, and your non-smoker friends will like you better.
Bad repurcussions?... Well I don't know of any yet.

I know a few people that have quit smoking recently, and all of them have changed for the better. A couple people have gained some weight (15-20lbs), but for the most part the weight gain stops after a month or two.
The hardest part (or so I hear) is trying to beat the oral fixation, which is why so many people turn to eating, suckers, etc.
I don't know what to tell you to help with that, but at least you're not alone in that department.

I don't want to get into a big smoking debate here, but I think it's excellent that you (and to everybody else) is (are?) quitting, keep up the good work.

Unknown303
04-27-2006, 08:38 PM
As for the oral fixation attributed to smoking, my best advice to you would be either start stocking lots of baby carrots and almonds. Both are incredibly good for you and almonds expand in your stomach actually making you feel less hungry so you will actually feel less like eating.

Props to all the quiters and soon to be quiters.