PDA

View Full Version : Official Autocross Thread

RB25DET
04-19-2006, 04:57 PM
Well, i know most of you already know about the autocrosses coming up at the exhibition grounds, i just figure i will put up a post in this section so people have somewhere to look for info and updates. All of these events are being put on by streetwheelers car club www.streetwheelers.com and will be held at the exhibition grounds in Lethbridge.

Drivers show up at 8:30AM for tech/registration and drivers meeting. Driving starts at 11:00AM. Driving goes until roughly 4:00pm.

May 6th - Autocross
June 3rd - Autocross
July 16th - Autocross (in conjunction with the street machine weekend)
September 16th - Drift Event Pending (i am still looking for sponsorship for the event)

Entry Fee is $20 now, instead of $10 (im sure anyone with a car can afford another 10 dollars).

http://streetwheelers.com/images/autoX.gif

garagefujimoto
04-21-2006, 12:04 AM
Chris, pm me with what it will take to sponsor this

crazydave
04-22-2006, 10:49 AM
best thread in this section by far.! i will try my best to make every single one!

buck
04-24-2006, 07:27 PM
Sounds like fun. Where are they being held? IS it cool to run with a carseat in the back?:burnout:

RB25DET
04-24-2006, 07:47 PM
Yeah, carseat should not matter at all. Its gonna be at the exhibition grounds, hope to see many of you there!!

schurchill39
04-25-2006, 05:03 PM
I better get my hesitation fixed... Hopefully I can make it out to the june july one then to the drift one.

240droptop
04-30-2006, 02:09 PM
I was comeing to the may 6th event but now i've decided to rip apart my car so doubt i'll be done in time but i'll still come out to watch

JO-WN4GE
04-30-2006, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by 240droptop
I was comeing to the may 6th event but now i've decided to rip apart my car so doubt i'll be done in time but i'll still come out to watch

:whocares:

240droptop
05-01-2006, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by JO-WN4GE

:whocares:

obviously you, since you took the time to post thank you as always joe

JO-WN4GE
05-02-2006, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by 240droptop

obviously you, since you took the time to post thank you as always joe

:thumbsup: no problem............. and if u didnt notice the "time" it took me to post was like a solid 3 seconds and 2 clicks.... so thats about as much as I care and I am un-employed anyways I have lots of this "time" on my hands so dont think your that special.

SidewaysSkyline
05-02-2006, 12:53 AM
Haha, oh the drama.

On a side note, you fucking pussies, if i dont see everyone of you who has a running car out there driving and furthering their driving skills i will throw rocks at you. This event isnt about winning/losing, its about paying 20 bucks, and by the end of the day you will know your car a little better, and be a better driver, unless your all perfect drivers already??

Audio_Rookie
05-02-2006, 01:07 AM
I thought it was about having fun :dunno: :D.

Assuming I find and fix my major fucking huge vacuum leak I will run my car, even though its still slow it will be fun :).

SidewaysSkyline
05-02-2006, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by Audio_Rookie
I thought it was about having fun :dunno: :D.

Assuming I find and fix my major fucking huge vacuum leak I will run my car, even though its still slow it will be fun :).

Well yeah, but in order to have fun you must go there and race, which has the fortunate side effect of making you a better driver. :thumbsup:

Audio_Rookie
05-02-2006, 01:30 AM
Agreed :).

Its just that some people are trying to determine whats more important. Slightly increasin there driving ability (varies) or possibly break something.

I will still race assuming im not in Texas (possible new job) and vacuum leak is fixed. Hell, I might even run it with the vacuum leak and no boost. Slowest run of the day, but still be fun. Lets hope nothing breaks at the event or before the event :(.

240droptop
05-02-2006, 05:45 PM

:thumbsup: no problem............. and if u didnt notice the "time" it took me to post was like a solid 3 seconds and 2 clicks.... so thats about as much as I care and I am un-employed anyways I have lots of this "time" on my hands so dont think your that special.

well glad to see you atleast care a bit thats all that really matters joe thanks.

SexOnWheels
05-04-2006, 08:59 AM
A quick search on this site directed me to this thread.

I never knew 'we' had a special section for LA/Med Hat that is decent of the beyonders.

I have been spreading the word about this weekends race to try and get as much support as we can to expose this city to more than horse racing.

I sent this e-mail to rock106 as I know Fraser personally from the old days. I hope that they will mention this event on their Big Breakfast Show tomorrow (friday):

Fraser and Rosie,

I just wanted to drop you a quick note about the first race of the new Street Wheelers Autocross season.

http://www.streetwheelers.com/2006autox.php

It is going to be held at the exhibition parking lot and all drivers and cars of all skill levels are welcome to show up and race.

Racers need to be there at 8:30am for tech inspection and the cost to enter is $10.

Spectators are free and there will be seating available with the racing starting at 11:00am.

This a free event so I thought you guys could mention it to the public so they can attend some entertaining racing at the Exhibition park with cars instead of horses.

If we can get enough support who knows Lethbridge could build a legit race facility complete with a drag strip and oval/road race course.

Back in the 19th century cities built horse tracks for racing maybe now that it is the 21st century we could also have a race track for motorized vehicles?

Crazy I know but just maybe.

Say hi to my old pal Fraser I don't get to see him much now that he is an elitist training at Gold's gym, bling bling!

I can hardly wait for Saturday it should be allot of fun and the weather is suppose to cooperate.

See you all there!

buck
05-05-2006, 07:23 AM
Damn, lost my skid lid during the move, any place in town have some legal ones for fairly cheap, or does someone have a spare to lend. Please and thanks..
give me a call on my cell to let me know where i can get one
thanks
Shaun
394-5328
:burnout:

buck
05-05-2006, 07:29 AM
On a side note, what rating do i need. I forgot is it DOT or Snell?

SexOnWheels
05-05-2006, 09:43 AM
@buck they had donor helmuts that you could borrow if you did not own one last year so I am sure you do not have to buy one.

But if you really do wnat to purchase one Crappy tire have some really cheap 'egg style' lids.

SidewaysSkyline
05-05-2006, 11:56 AM
I may have a few loaners there for people, but there definately wont be enough for everyone, so if you can get a hold of a helmet, that would be best. There are also separate running groups, so you can always just use someone elses helmet while they arent running.

buck
05-05-2006, 10:39 PM
Thanks, going to try to make it.. Damn kids have swimming

Audio_Rookie
05-06-2006, 12:49 AM
cya there,

found where the big intermittent vacuum leak was from lol.....turbo bearings are shot....O well...thats what the rebuilt turbo is for :).

SidewaysSkyline
05-07-2006, 01:35 AM
Hey guys, thanks for the turnout, hopefully we will see you all out and more at the next event. Good news is that we broke even for the event so we can continue to do this, and i hope you all had a good time. See you guys on June 3rd hopefully!!!

Thanks, Chris.

SexOnWheels
05-07-2006, 11:01 AM
I really had a great time there as well. It is more fun than should be legally allowed.

@Chris you were right about your new tires making the difference, congrats on your win!

I know that Auto-X here in Letbridge is in its infancy but we should look to cleaning up the rules and regulations to the standards of the National Car Clubs in Canada and even the SCCA (USA standards).

The trailer queen guys from Calgary have already started to post on a national website/forum with this thread:

http://cscc.speedracer.ca/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=20009&sid=73d8d4006557316ff8970599029df1ef#20009

Originally posted by tsi_neal Matt, SAM, and i went to this today and had a decent time with the laser... but man what a safety issue waiting to blow up in their face... All im gonna say is helmets were optional, we saw an S10 truck almost roll and many near misses with spins and traffic...

Basically they have a huge lot available, but its busy, and in poor condition. With some work and support they could hold decent events tho.

We need to just clean up the rules (best of times runs and not a finals format), new legit car classes (what happens if a Ferrari Mondetta or Porsche signs up?) and obviously address the insurance/safety issues.

I would be willing to help out with forming a new club (or sub-club) within the SW organization to help out. All the ground work has been done for decades in North America so all we really need to do is join the proper organizations and follow their rule book and guidelines.

But before we get shut down we should be (at least) in the process of going legit to stop the elitist from coming down on us and shutting us down in the future.

SidewaysSkyline
05-07-2006, 11:45 AM
That wasnt me that was racing that black silvia that won your class. My car isnt done yet and that silvia had some crappy 120 dollar federals on it, nothin close to Nitto 555's....:) It also has about 230hp, Do you think on paper that's really fair to be in the same class, but you were still competetive with eachother, in my opinion everyone was pretty competetive within their own classes. I do agree that it sort of sucks to have it come down to one run, but that's how they decided to run yesterday, I dont think you would be complaining if you hadnt knocked over that pylon. Its an event for fun, we just happen to have some silly trophies to give out.

If you want to help out with the autocrosses and such, come out to a streetwheelers meeting and join the club, we've got a meeting coming up this thursday, 7:30 at the legion where you can voice your concerns.

I am going to go work on my car though instead of typing all these defences, so I can win that trophy at the next autocross.....just kidding.

SexOnWheels
05-07-2006, 01:44 PM
Don't get me wrong I am not complaining at all.

I attend these events for fun only and was not in it for any "silly trophies".

I was actually hoping to see the Miata from last year as he had a faster car than I did at the time.

If you feel you need to defend the event (like I do) then you should click on the link I provided above to contact the last poster in the thread for us to take the next step to legitimize this new type of racing here in 'lil LA'.

I wanted to test my new set-up yesterday and see how far I could push my car. I am going to race in the SCCA in Montana this year and I was using yesterdays venue to support my local community and just have some fun.

That is why I kept pushing each run to see if I could shave more time off my run. In the last round I continued to do so as I really wanted to break into the 38 second barrier.

I was just as offended as you were/are the guys from Calgary (see link above) had a thread bashing the event before and after it was done. In my opinion (like I said above) it was allot of fun and that is the only expectation I had going into it.

I not sure if I have to apologize or not but I was only posting the above as constructive post and not bashing or complaining in any way. If you do not agree then I can stop posting here and not attend any further events if you would like.

I am sorry you think I was complaining/bashing I was only offering my help. This is the internet and sometimes 'tone' can be misinterpreted but I still want to say thanks for having me yesterday as I had more fun than what should be legally allowed (like I said above).

Thanks again to the Street Wheelers car club for yesterday as I really appreciate all that was done to put this on.

Audio_Rookie
05-07-2006, 03:35 PM
ya, there were some safety issues. Brad in the purple truck wore a helmet every run after his first because he was afraid of tipping it.

1 definate problem was the cars driving by on the side of the roads to get to the exhibition....someone should have contacted the exhibitioin before hand and got them to open the north side gates so they were not driving by 3 feet away from the track. Ironically enough al there previous phone #'s were disconnected so no one could contact them the day of the event.

Keep in mind this is the 2nd auto-x the street wheelers have ever held.

Thank you for posting the link....I will raise these concerns to the club on thursdays meeting.

SidewaysSkyline
05-07-2006, 06:22 PM
My last comment about "all these defences" wasnt really directed at you. Just some frustration with another individual. I dont feel that your complaining, i guess i used the wrong word, and i completely agree that we have some issues to iron out, let's see if we cant have it figured out a little better for next time :thumbsup: . Hope to see you there.

SexOnWheels
05-07-2006, 06:28 PM
Ok I have done a bit of research to what is involved in becoming a sactioned Auto-X club here in Canada.

This is a qoute from someone who started a club in Red Deer:

Originally posted by vintagemilano
You want to start your own autocross club, here ya go, in order that you want to do things.... Start up costs are going to be out of your pocket, then attempt to re-coup. This is assuming you are doing everything on your own with no help.

If you can book your lot right now, you still have time to get things in place for a May-june start.
1)book your dates, I would get 5-6 per year to start, less isn't really worth while. Get your bookings in writing, with the rental rate.
2)Start becoming an incorporated society, REAL important, legally seperates the organization from the people. If you go to a licencing branch they can help you out. Guessing costs are 25 for a name search then 100 for a new corporation. You will need 4 other people to become directors of your new club, you will also need a club name. This may take 2 months.
3)Once you got your incorporation certificate, you can go to WCMA to affiliate, $107.
4)After a WCMA affiliate club you can get insurance figure about $65 per event. 6-9 events cost the same so if you can get some things going in the winter (no vehicle restrictions) they are kinda free. At this point all your events must comply with all WCMA rules, you will need to get to know these.
5)If you've made it this far and you still have a season ahead you will need to supply the club. Very min you need are cones 150x8-10 bucks, get the full size ones, not the mini ones, two cheap stopwatches, two fire extinguishers, kids sidewalk chalk (cheap at superstore), big dry erase board so people don't hassle the timers, loaner helmets that are legal, various pens, paper, forms, white shoe polish. There are other luxuries. Like sun and rain protection for the timers, tables, chairs... Alot of which can be borrrowed.
http://www.tirerack.com/features/solo2/handbook.htm also has lots of good ideas.
There are lots of little things that I'm forgetting at the moment, 1-4 get you legal to hold events.
Autocrossing is supposed to be cheap to enter, this makes it hard to recoup your out of pocket costs, you get lots of seat time in the early days though.
Getting the word out is the hardest, especially if there is no speed shop in town. Be happy if 8-10 people enter per event for the first year. Between the two timers, score keeper, cone runner, and event organizer you have 5 people not able to run. Having a fancy electronic timer is one less.
At some point before you start taking other people money you should think about getting a club bank accout, member forms, member cards yadda yadda yadda.
It's not that hard, it does take some time and money but can be reasonably rewarding and sometimes down right frustrating.

It does look like some work but definately doable as you SW's have most of the needed equipment already.

@Chris No harm no foul bro that thread got me heated up abit aswell.

SidewaysSkyline
05-07-2006, 06:47 PM
We are a sanctioned club, we have our own insurance which we are following, and this insurance (it costs a lot of money for the insurance) allows us to run automotive racing events, basically at our own discretion. We make our own rules/classes etc. There is nothing not legitamate about the Street Wheelers or how the day was ran, just a few bugs that will be worked out for next time. I also highly doubt we will change the classes. I will probably mention changing the "finals" format, but everything else will more or less be the same.

tsi_neal
05-07-2006, 06:49 PM
So as one of the "trailor queen" guys, (oh for the record its a fully insured street legal car, but how are you gonna cram 3 guys in a gutted laser with 2 seats) also the same guy that spoke up on the CSCC webpage ill say this,

I/We dont have an elitist attitude, but your event was a trainwreck waiting to happen. Sure it was great that after the S10 spun and almost hit the people staging that you decided to keep it to one car at a time, but what happens when he spins onto the return road as an innocent bystandard is walking by? Thats just one example of many that i can come up with on the spot.

The fact is it was a fun event, and its also recognised that you guys dont have alot of experiance doing this and are learning. Your best bet would be to learn as much as possible from other people/clubs mistakes and dont make them yourselves. (example the CSCC recently lost one of the best venues in canada due to poor public relations) The fact is i was pointing out things that needed to be addressed not coming down on the event. Id take the critism constructively and learn. By no means am i saying things need to turn into an ultra competitive event that takes the fun out of burning rubber with some buddies, but its gotta be safe especially for people not involved.

funkedelic
05-07-2006, 07:45 PM
i was there and i saw a fucken car drive throught the course head on to the guy doing his run, he swirled out of her way!

i was there to watch but looked like fun and really want to join next time! well me and my buddies are going bring our cars out! :burnout:

buck
05-08-2006, 07:25 AM
Too bad i was too late to run. I think they did an admiral job. There was a few safety concerns, worse being the the bypass road and unrestrained passengers,at least it looked that way. Overall it looked like everyone had a good time.. I saw the video of the S-10 and he wasn't even close to rolling(unsettled yes, rolling no) were helmets optional? For the final i think that the best average run should win, of course throwing out the highest and lowest times
I'm in for sure for June:burnout:

240droptop
05-10-2006, 10:04 AM
Hey Chris are you guys still neededing sponsers if so whats needed for someone to sponser the events etc etc just pm me the info I may know a couple buisneses that will help out

rorybreaker
05-15-2006, 09:20 PM
I'll be happily attending the July 16 autocross with my stinky stock da, and will happily offer my services to the event in any way I can.
That kinda makes me wanna ask though, is there any way a guy can volunteer or help out besides paying the $10? Let us know.

canadianskyline
05-16-2006, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by rorybreaker
I'll be happily attending the July 16 autocross with my stinky stock da, and will happily offer my services to the event in any way I can.
That kinda makes me wanna ask though, is there any way a guy can volunteer or help out besides paying the $10? Let us know.

You want to volunteer rather than pay $20 for entry fee? Or you just want to volunteer in general?

rorybreaker
05-16-2006, 07:53 PM
Yeah, I'd love to volunteer, unfortunately I won't know what kind of time I'm going to have surrounding the event. Between a hectic work schedule and the from Edmonton it's going to be hard to say for sure I can help. I guess what I was asking was "is there any specific things the event needs that we might have?" is there any equipment, or maybe people with training (safety/first aid, ect.) that would benifit the event?

canadianskyline
05-16-2006, 08:44 PM
For the entire street machine weekend we need volunteers. Especially Friday night for the cruise. We have a big volunteer meeting on Friday, which i will be posting more info on later. That would be the best, and easiest way to be a part of it all, and would help us out a lot.

canadianskyline
05-28-2006, 02:08 PM
Well it looks like, because of horse racing, we will be holding the June 3rd autocross in the other lot (northwest lot i guess...). The track is going to be laid out differently, and i think it may be a bit faster in sections. We wont have any traffic problems by having it on that side either. Hope to see you all there.

Chris.

canadianskyline
06-04-2006, 05:40 PM
Awesome event today guys. The north lot worked out really well i thought. We are going to be having all of the autocrosses over there now.

One concern however, it wasnt a huge deal, but i think it has to be said.

When you are coming and going from the event, PLEASE keep the speeds to a minimum, the last thing anyone wants is for us to lose our privaledges to the parking lot and then its ruined for everyone.

Also, no more donuts after the event either, it was cool Robb, but we want to be able to continue holding these events. :thumbsup:

Anyway, thanks again.

Congrats to

Winners
Class 1: Tiburon Guy (sorry i didnt get his name)
Class 2: Elliot (contour svt)
Class 3: Steve G (Corolla GTS)
Class 4: Turbo Miata Guy
Class 5: SexOnWheels (camaro)

team_fc3s
06-25-2006, 12:51 PM

them are fighting words mr jownage if that is your real name, you best keep your head up

canadianskyline
07-17-2006, 12:29 PM
Holy cow, that was the best autocross yet by far. Awesome turn out and a lot of exciting cars showed up. Congrats to Steve G in the Corolla, Mike in the Miata, Robb in the Camaro, and.....Me i guess. We were all fast, it made for some of the best competition ive seen at the autocross thus far!! I had a ton of fun, and thanks to the other guys for being so fast, it made things fun. :thumbsup:

team_fc3s
07-17-2006, 12:33 PM
the AUTO x was un-real!!!! i got a WICKED tan, to bad my FC couldnt make it out:thumbsdow it was fun dori'n with daver though

crazydave
07-17-2006, 02:40 PM
yes it was quite entertainable,to bad i couldnt compete with my class and be fast too.owell.it was fun,thanks to streetwheelers for not making me have to drive my car far to enjoy my car!good work on 3rd chris!

crazydave
07-17-2006, 06:51 PM
also,if anyone picked up a jack,and tire iron and a tire pressure guage and a pack of zipties,those were mine,i forgot them there.if yuo have them,if you could pm me that would be great.

canadianskyline
07-17-2006, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by crazydave
yes it was quite entertainable,to bad i couldnt compete with my class and be fast too.owell.it was fun,thanks to streetwheelers for not making me have to drive my car far to enjoy my car!good work on 3rd chris!

I still ran fastest time of the day, so its ok.....hahaha.

240droptop
07-17-2006, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by team_fc3s
the AUTO x was un-real!!!! i got a WICKED tan, to bad my FC couldnt make it out:thumbsdow it was fun dori'n with daver though

:rolleyes:

SexOnWheels
07-18-2006, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by canadianskyline
Holy cow, that was the best autocross yet by far. Awesome turn out and a lot of exciting cars showed up. Congrats to Steve G in the Corolla, Mike in the Miata, Robb in the Camaro, and.....Me i guess. We were all fast, it made for some of the best competition ive seen at the autocross thus far!! I had a ton of fun, and thanks to the other guys for being so fast, it made things fun. :thumbsup:

Agreed the competition was excellent as we were all apart in the tenths of seconds. Excellent job from you and the rest of the Street Wheelers Car club on a very successful season.

Chris you need to start a new thread about the (last) drift car event as it will be my first and I would like you to post up as much info as you can from car set-up to course layout, etc.

Originally posted by crazydave
also,if anyone picked up a jack,and tire iron and a tire pressure guage and a pack of zipties,those were mine,i forgot them there.if yuo have them,if you could pm me that would be great.

Damn Dave I seen that as I left and when I asked around about it everyone thought the owner was still there. I wish I would have picked it up now. I hope someone will post up that they have that for you.

N'Syncro
07-18-2006, 12:53 PM
I'll be back next year, and hopefully w/ some more of the Saskatoon boys to help represent the SSCC.

I had a blast. The event could have went a bit more professionally / safely, but all in all, it was very well organized and very entertaining.

canadianskyline - if that was you w/ the black gts-t??? with the Hoosiers - DANG. Awesome car man. You, the white turbo Miata and that red camaro that all posted 54-55sec runs were all amazing.

crazydave
07-18-2006, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by SexOnWheels

Agreed the competition was excellent as we were all apart in the tenths of seconds. Excellent job from you and the rest of the Street Wheelers Car club on a very successful season.

Chris you need to start a new thread about the (last) drift car event as it will be my first and I would like you to post up as much info as you can from car set-up to course layout, etc.

Damn Dave I seen that as I left and when I asked around about it everyone thought the owner was still there. I wish I would have picked it up now. I hope someone will post up that they have that for you.

ahh dang,thanks anyways dude, i appericate it! nothing to important left behind,just kinda nice so i dont have to buy them all again.haha.

canadianskyline
07-18-2006, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by N'Syncro
I'll be back next year, and hopefully w/ some more of the Saskatoon boys to help represent the SSCC.

I had a blast. The event could have went a bit more professionally / safely, but all in all, it was very well organized and very entertaining.

canadianskyline - if that was you w/ the black gts-t??? with the Hoosiers - DANG. Awesome car man. You, the white turbo Miata and that red camaro that all posted 54-55sec runs were all amazing.

Yep that was me, thanks for the kind words.....and the sr20 corolla was in the 54's with me as well. Were you driving in it too?

team_fc3s
07-19-2006, 12:01 PM
next year i hope they have a smiliar track!

swipey13
07-23-2006, 03:04 AM
so the next one is the last one? drift? hmmm... maybe i'll put in my slow fc hahah... rotaries are allowed right? so far ive been the only one with the rotary battling lol

SexOnWheels
07-27-2006, 01:02 PM
Remember the two guys (Dave and Wade) in the 'coke bottle' Corvette that set up camera's at the last two events?

He has a business called motion studios and send me a clip from SWM c/w text.

I u/l it on photobucket but it seems to have lost some quality but it can be viewed now none the less.

http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d39/S3xOnWheels/?action=view&current=SexOnWheels.flv

I asked them to go ahead and create a DVD for me so when I get it I will try to post up some more footage.

crazydave
07-27-2006, 02:56 PM
^^that was one clean run dude!

canadianskyline
07-27-2006, 03:00 PM
How do i get a hold of those guys to get my 3 runs just thrown together and sent to me?

BTW, was a good looking run:thumbsup:

SexOnWheels
07-28-2006, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by canadianskyline
How do i get a hold of those guys to get my 3 runs just thrown together and sent to me?

BTW, was a good looking run:thumbsup:

At the end of the video was the phone number for motion studios

**edit* better not post the number online*