PDA

View Full Version : question.

lammer
07-10-2002, 02:45 AM
what does OEM stand for?
original something manufacture?

and whats a cat back exuast? full exuast ??

4wheeldrift
07-10-2002, 06:53 AM
OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer

And a cat back exhaust is just that, a replacement exhaust from the outlet of the catalytic converter all the way to the tip. Generally is a mid-pipe and new muffler/axle back unit.

Ben
07-10-2002, 11:48 AM
Most people go with a Cat Back because it keeps thier car within smog regulations, but for some people, like myself, who dont care about the smog regulation, they will do a full exhaust as the Cat is a VERY restrictive peice and by removing it, there are larger gains. Basically new pipes from the Header back...With that being said, you can get high flow cats, but they are expensive.

This is along the lines of what Mr Drift has said, but I HTH!

B18C
07-10-2002, 12:04 PM
High flow cats are not that expensive at all. If you are willing to spend $800+ on an exhaust the extra $60 bucks for a cat (over a straight pipe) is not unreasonable. Plus, it's better for the environment and your car won't stink.

2K255HP
07-10-2002, 12:33 PM
I don't belive the cat is THAT restrictive
it is restrictive but not as extreme as Benny makes it sound imo :)

I know adding a RT cat on the maxima's u only see a marginal gain
taking it out will only yield a little more
i'm thinking 5 or so hp :dunno:

from what i've seen with the altima and maxima gains are minimal but may provide an opening for future mods?

such as adding an intake

just my .02

Ben
07-10-2002, 02:14 PM
Sorry, I should have clarified, Cats are restrictive on older vehicles, new vehicles in the last few years seem to have gotten alot better, but for the most part people get noticable gais from no cat.