PDA

View Full Version : Reliable JDM Import

Clanche
04-20-2006, 01:51 AM
So my friend is looking for a good car under $5000. Looking at the autotrader most of whats available are over priced civics and rusting cavaliers...

So we started looking at cars on importconcern.ca and there seems to be some decent value if you import a car from japan. I don't want a debate about right-and-drive and all that stuff.. just wondering if you guys think it would be a good move with a budget under $5000

Thinking my buddy should stay away from turbo cars for liability purposes, but what about something like this:

http://www.importconcern.ca/perl/b_list.pl?10862

any thoughts? :dunno:

Sorath
04-20-2006, 02:09 AM
lets put it this way, anything broker stock is a gamble. u dont know what u get, pictures can only tell so much. u should put away 2 grand just incase something is wrong with it

A790
04-20-2006, 09:51 AM
What Kasem said is mostly true.

If I were your friend, I would talk to Christian about the auction and see what he can get for $5000 landed.

typhoonslippery
04-20-2006, 10:25 AM
slim pickings for that price to be honest

it is hard to be on a budget and get a car from japan as when you buy a broker stock with some unknown condition and mileage at times then there might be some repairs and alterations in the cars future that will send you over your budget as alot of people have found. In my opinion if you have $5000 to spend get a $4000 car and plan for a few repairs instead of being unable to do anything when all your $$ is gone ...

SteveMo600
04-20-2006, 11:38 AM
IMO, 5 grand is not a big enough budget to import. Like people are saying, it's a risk to import as you may have to put another grand or two into the vehicle (Totally possible) due to repairs and such.

I would suggest for him to look around on the board for a vehicle. $5000 can get a decent vehicle and there are goodsd deals around. Get something that he can actually test drive and inspect prior to purchasing.

My 0.02

C4S
04-20-2006, 11:57 AM
Just spend $5K on a mid 90's civic !

CryoCarnage
04-20-2006, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by C4S
Just spend $5K on a mid 90's civic !
for what? to be associated with FWD and HONDA? man just one of the 2 at least...

Clanche
04-20-2006, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by SteveMo600
IMO, 5 grand is not a big enough budget to import. Like people are saying, it's a risk to import as you may have to put another grand or two into the vehicle (Totally possible) due to repairs and such.

I would suggest for him to look around on the board for a vehicle. $5000 can get a decent vehicle and there are goodsd deals around. Get something that he can actually test drive and inspect prior to purchasing.

My 0.02

Well I suggested an import because you seem to get so much more car for the money. And yes the $4000 + saved $1000 for possible repairs is a good idea.

If he was to pick up something local instead, any suggestions on what to get? I know everyone will say civic but I always found used hondas to be a little inflated in pricing. Some cars that come to mind are:

Mx-3 Precidia
Celica (5th gen)
Prelude (4th gen)
90s Civic

any suggestions? :)

DeeCEE101
04-20-2006, 04:07 PM
keep an eye in the marketplace, you can usually find something there of interest... I do have a 91 integra for sale... if interested...
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=126902

CryoCarnage
04-20-2006, 04:49 PM
For 5000, you can have a 1jz Mark 3 supra if you know where to get shit from :D. My votes are Prelude 92+, Celica (any year is good) and if you want a super fun and reliable car, 240sx.

Sorath
04-20-2006, 04:52 PM
there is a landed skyline for sale in calgary for 5000, if ur buddy is interested in that

davidI
04-20-2006, 04:53 PM
I'd say Celica or 240sx as well. For a JDM I think you'd need to start wtih a bigger budget.

Clanche
04-21-2006, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by Sorath
there is a landed skyline for sale in calgary for 5000, if ur buddy is interested in that

Don't think he is looking for a turbo.. (too many headaches).. he just wants a nice reliable sporty car.. not a sports car.. that's why i was looking at the non-turbo MR2 from japan and such.

I don't know too much about 240sx? Are they reliable? What's the average market price for a decent condition one?

CryoCarnage
04-21-2006, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Clanche

Don't think he is looking for a turbo.. (too many headaches).. he just wants a nice reliable sporty car.. not a sports car.. that's why i was looking at the non-turbo MR2 from japan and such.

I don't know too much about 240sx? Are they reliable? What's the average market price for a decent condition one?
240sx's are relaible as hell. Will get you from point a to point b everyday (well in winter you need some good winter tires and a shit load of sandbags :D) and you can be sure it wont break down. Man my friends beat on theirs all day and as logn as you maintain it (liek every other car) it will work perfectly. They aren't that expensive over in ontario, but you guys over there seem to have soem cars a lot more expensive then us, or a lot cheaper.

Clanche
04-21-2006, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by CryoCarnage

240sx's are relaible as hell. Will get you from point a to point b everyday (well in winter you need some good winter tires and a shit load of sandbags :D) and you can be sure it wont break down. Man my friends beat on theirs all day and as logn as you maintain it (liek every other car) it will work perfectly. They aren't that expensive over in ontario, but you guys over there seem to have soem cars a lot more expensive then us, or a lot cheaper.

I would never buy an Ontario or Quebec car though.. those things start rusting only a few years after you buy them.. I lived there for 12 years seen it happen to my folks' cars to many times :(