PDA

View Full Version : tire bolts breaking

azn_crazed
04-20-2006, 08:57 PM
one of the bolts holding the rear-right tire on my dad's van recently broke (it occured while changing a flat) i suspect that the bolt was either defective or got worn out.......should this be covered by the manufacturer?? the van is not even 5 years old, its kinda odd that the bolts become so weak after such a short time....... any suggestions??

tjtd00
04-20-2006, 09:21 PM
a couple possibilities, after time if the tires have been rotated on a freuent basis they can wear out and get weak, other other more probable scenario...someone cross threaded the nut last time the tire came off...

BlackArcher101
04-20-2006, 09:25 PM
Or the nut was over-torqued on the stud.

azn_crazed
04-20-2006, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by tjtd00
a couple possibilities, after time if the tires have been rotated on a freuent basis they can wear out and get weak

it could be just that, my dad talked to the mechanic and the mechanic informed him that 2 other bolts need replacement as they too are weakend somehow.....

but now i'm curious whether or not the bolts on the other wheel hubs are defective as well......kinda makes me scared riding in the vehicle....

i'm not sure if this would be covered by warranty, i hope it is so we can charge the replacement to the dealership....but i doubt it is.....hmmm :confused:

barbarian
04-20-2006, 11:13 PM
It's fairly cheap to get a tire place to pound a new bolt stud in.

arian_ma
04-21-2006, 12:00 AM
Yea you can even do it yourself. Go to Canadian tire and pick up a couple of the studs for like 35 cents and it is pretty simple once you look at the assembly of the whole wheel how it's done. I had to replace 2 on my car

VetteRacin
04-21-2006, 12:01 AM
the van does not happen to be a GM does it?

lorenzo
04-21-2006, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by barbarian
It's fairly cheap to get a tire place to pound a new bolt stud in.

dont mean to jack the thread. but the same thing happened to my car...

barbarian, u said cheap, how cheap exactly? and which cheap place would do it???
thanks

azn_crazed i hope everything works out for you.

Ashkente
04-21-2006, 12:31 AM
Most of the time they break because tire shops are fuckin' monkeys and impact your lugs back on. That's why I only go to Mytires. They either use torque sticks or just do it by hand, cause I never had problems taking my lugs off after they put tires on. :thumbsup:

Tha VZA
04-21-2006, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by arian_ma
Yea you can even do it yourself. Go to Canadian tire and pick up a couple of the studs for like 35 cents and it is pretty simple once you look at the assembly of the whole wheel how it's done. I had to replace 2 on my car

don't know about anyone else but i wouldn't trust a 35 cent stud on my car, make sure they are the correct grade of stud for your vehicle

as in you dont need a ford f-350 stud on a civic, but if you went the other way around...bye bye stud, bye bye wheel

Originally posted by Ashkente
Most of the time they break because tire shops are fuckin' monkeys and impact your lugs back on.

you're a fuckin' monkey...who humps cars

:poosie:

(i work at a tire shop, and yes we hand torque all wheels)

also never use lubricant on wheels studs, it changes the torque rating by a factor which is not standard and pretty much impossible to calculate...

when a stud gets over torqued it stretches, once metal streches it deforms and weakens the structure, and in time will snap...this can be caused while using lubricant or just over torque'ing with any lube aid

check out all studs, and replace them if needed

it's not too much to do it

ciao

CasperWho
04-21-2006, 08:30 AM
from my experience, your nut was cross threaded
its about 150$, with labour to correct.
hope this helps?

azn_crazed
04-21-2006, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by VetteRacin
the van does not happen to be a GM does it?

It is a dodge caravan, and I believe that it always get serviced at varsity chrystler

but thanks for all your help guys....