PDA

View Full Version : Racing harness?

Akagi
04-20-2006, 09:03 PM
Okay When ever you purchase an aftermarket bucket seat.
They have the ability to support a 2 or 3 way racing harness.

I have heard various things from many differnet people.
I have heard that they are the most dangerous things to have on the street because if you are wearing one and you get in an accident your body will stay still but your head will move forward and you will potentially snap your neck.

Is this true?? and is it more dangerous to have a racing harness then it is just a regular seat belt.

Or is this not neccesarilly the case aslong as you have an airbag and somewhat slag in the harness. just enough slack that your body moves forward and inch or two and absorbs some of the inertia of the impact Thus actually giving you more protection during a crash then a customary seat belt.

What would you guys say??

ryuen
04-20-2006, 09:14 PM
I've never used one personally, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I hear slack is something you don't want for a racing harness.. they have to be done up right. The danger of that for street use is that it limits your ability to shoulder check. Also, they have to be installed correctly or you run the risk of severe spinal injuries in the case of an accident.

SilverBoost
04-21-2006, 11:00 AM
A harness on the street will also keep you up right in the seat as your roof caves in in a rollover. That's why you need a rollcage. And if you have a rollcage you need a helmet so you melon doesn't whip off of a steel bar in a wreck. And yeah, harnesses aren't meant to be worn with slack in them.

Tha VZA
04-21-2006, 11:31 AM
what silverboost said is the truth

however...in my car if a rollover ever occured i would never be worried about the roof caving in, as i have seen a car like mine rolled and when it got towed to the persons house...you could still get in and out of it no problem

yay volvo safety!

but yes in most cars you will restrict movement needed for viewing other cars on the road while wearing a harness, if you don't drive a super strong vehicle the roof caving while your are trapped is also a possibility

ciao