PDA

View Full Version : Honda Info requested

FrostyLight
04-22-2006, 03:15 AM
Just recently I got a 1995 Honda Civic LX (with the 1.5L engine) as a college car/commuter car.

Did a little research about these Civics. I read over the Honda Civic VX (which is also a 1.5L) and it gets an estimated 45-55+ mpg, while my Civic LX gets about 35mpg, and thats with normal driving (no racer stuff, Im not like that) and not doing any "fuelwasting" stuff.

So, my question is, whats the difference with the engines? Both are 1.5L, but have a difference of 10+ mpg. Is it the way they're tuned?
Is there a way I could modify my car to improve the mpg to be closer to that of the VX? I have to drive about 20+ miles a day and just would like to get as much fuel efficiency as possible. :)
(an engine swap is not feasible at this time)

I've been doing a bit of research on these cars and just getting some info here and there. if anyone has any thoughts or links, that'd be appreciated. thanks!

Schwa
04-22-2006, 02:14 PM
Spark plugs, ignition make a big difference. Alignment and proper tire pressure will help your mileage. Pretty much ensure your engine is in the best running conditoin.

LilDrunkenSmurf
04-22-2006, 02:30 PM
It has to do with the power... I can't remember off the top of my head, but even though the displacement it still 1.5L the torque and HP are not the same... the VX is pretty much an early version of the hybrid (by that I mean that it was meant as the most fuel conservative car). It probably has to do with more than the motor as to why the MPG are so different... Weight is a factor, extra options, etc... It's not just the engine that decides the fuel mileage, but it is a big factor.