PDA

View Full Version : Photo Radar questions

94SSEi
04-25-2006, 04:30 PM
I've always had some questions about photo radar, maybe someone on here knows more about it.

1) Ok, suppose it's on the side of a 3 lane highway, is it aimed at a specific lane? What happens when 3 vehicles go through at roughly the same time? Does it mean they can't issue a ticket, because it's not clear which vehicle was the one speeding?

I ask this because I was going down a 2-lane road, speeding, and I passed a car that was in the right lane, and the flash went off, sure enough photo radar. But it's been months and I haven't seen a ticket. Maybe they got her? Although she wasn't speeding.

2) Can they run photo radar while moving? I always see one of the photo radar vans bombing around Lethbridge, but I'm always hesitant about passing it, because I just don't know if he'll be taking radar (no sense risking it). Does the equipment or a law eliminate the possibility of them doing this?

There was something else, but I've forgot it. Thanks guys.

googe
04-25-2006, 04:36 PM
1) radar technology is such that the speed of the nearest moving object is whats recorded. (doppler effect)

2) no

94SSEi
04-25-2006, 04:39 PM
So if there's a car beside me, I'm golden? (not saying this means I'm going to blow through, no sense risking it, just good to know)

And they can't run it because of the equipment or law?

googe
04-25-2006, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by 94SSEi
So if there's a car beside me, I'm golden? (not saying this means I'm going to blow through, no sense risking it, just good to know)

And they can't run it because of the equipment or law?

1) not really, cause they crop the other car out of the picture and then mail you a ticket anyway. lots of people get screwed this way and dont even know it. if you ever get a photo ticket and there was a car in the lane closer to the van, fight it.

2) photo vans arent set up to take pictures while driving. its not illegal, its just that they dont do that.

94SSEi
04-25-2006, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by googe

1) not really, cause they crop the other car out of the picture and then mail you a ticket anyway. lots of people get screwed this way and dont even know it. if you ever get a photo ticket and there was a car in the lane closer to the van, fight it.

2) photo vans arent set up to take pictures while driving. its not illegal, its just that they dont do that.

Good to know, thanks.

A|pine
06-09-2006, 02:05 AM
I got one,

photo radar in the rain? Can they still focus even when it's pouring

ie: today on the Dfoot

RX_EVOLV
06-09-2006, 03:07 AM
I got one too..

1) Can radar detector detect Photo Radar?

2) if a Cop is coming from the opposite direction or behind you, do they just estimate your speed or they use a Laser/Radar gun while moving to get your speed then pull you over?

nonsane
06-09-2006, 07:17 AM
1) Yes, but will it do you any good? probably not... by the time it's detected it's too late from my experience.

2) they match your speed and take down the reading from the speedometer.

SilverBoost
06-09-2006, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by nonsane
[B]1) Yes, but will it do you any good? probably not... by the time it's detected it's too late from my experience.

Yeah, it's definitely a weaker signal and won't go into full blown alert until you actually pass the van, but as long as you don't have your music blaring so you can't hear it, and you aren't doing 50+ over the limit, you will have time to slow down before it goes off.

RX_EVOLV
06-09-2006, 10:47 AM
thanks, also got another quick question since Im relatively new at this.

I just got a V1 and I get alot of false signal from malls and stuff and shows up as "Ka" signal. Would the signal for photo radar etc be any different ( ie "K" )

Thanks

teggypimp95
06-09-2006, 10:52 AM
Some people put those plastic sheilds over there plates becuase the flash of the redar reflects off it and they are unable to read your plate. not sure if it works that great or not?:dunno:

teggypimp95
06-09-2006, 10:53 AM
k and ka are radar signals but also, any auto matic doors also use this same signal. so if your in a mall parking lot or close to a safeway or co-op or something and its going off. good chance it could be the auto doors.

googe
06-09-2006, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by RX_EVOLV
thanks, also got another quick question since Im relatively new at this.

I just got a V1 and I get alot of false signal from malls and stuff and shows up as "Ka" signal. Would the signal for photo radar etc be any different ( ie "K" )

Thanks

Photo radar are on Ka band.

Weird that malls give you Ka false alarms, they always give me K band false alarms.

asuth077
06-09-2006, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by A|pine
I got one,

photo radar in the rain? Can they still focus even when it's pouring

ie: today on the Dfoot

Anyone know this one? I am interested

lint
06-09-2006, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by asuth077

Anyone know this one? I am interested

Why wouldn't they be able to focus in the rain? A radar beam is huge, it has to capture your car. If you can see through the rain, the photo radar can too.

RX_EVOLV
06-09-2006, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by googe

Photo radar are on Ka band.

Weird that malls give you Ka false alarms, they always give me K band false alarms.

my mistakes.. I meant False = K

SilverBoost
06-09-2006, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by RX_EVOLV

my mistakes.. I meant False = K

Yeah I get false Ks all teh time and some X's..... usually if I see a Ka, 99.9% of the time it's been either a phot radar (in thte city) or RCMP (highway). I did have RCMP use just K band though as well. And of course laser, but chances are, by the time that one goes off you'll already be getting waved in. ;)

Mitsu3000gt
06-09-2006, 03:46 PM
Some people here, especially those looking to buy a radar detector and the guy who just bought the V1, should read this:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=128206

Then ask yourself if you still want one. Just trying to help,

Mark