PDA

View Full Version : Auction houses, or importers?

Importmonster
04-26-2006, 08:51 AM
I've been planning to import a car from japan for some time now, a GTO infact, and I'm uncertian which is the better route to go...Should I buy from an acution house such as the USS Auto Acution in japan. or talk to a local impoirting company such as import concern. I belive buying from the acution house is cheaper, but Im just woundering whats the easest way to bring in a good reliable car. Not sure if anyone has bought from the actuion houses, but my buddy says he would help me....any suggestions? Thanks

avow
04-26-2006, 12:27 PM
just go import concern. safeest way to import if you want my oppinion and they take care of almost everything for you. dont forget you cna do auctions through import concern as well.

yellowsnow
04-26-2006, 02:44 PM
if you import from japan i'm sure you need to fill out a whole bunch of documents and import fees/taxes/registration/inspection etc.. it's a lot easier to get a brokerage to do it for you, eg) importconcern

Phuqu
04-26-2006, 03:17 PM
Do it yourself and save. It's not rocket science.

There are plenty of sources of information for DIY.

Sonic Racing
04-26-2006, 03:39 PM
You can't go straight to the auction houses you will still need to go through a broker in Japan at the very least...

Envitro
04-26-2006, 03:46 PM
I did it myself and it was just fine. Lots to learn, but if you call around people will tell you everything you need to know.

Plus you will save thousands if you do it yourself. Also, the risk in getting the car is the same if you do it yourself or through an importer (i.. IC). The car could be junk or it could be just fine. You never know what it's really like until it gets here.

Phuqu
04-26-2006, 04:49 PM
That's right. The only way to know the quality is to inspect it in Japan. That isn't going to happen unless you are there.

99% of the importers use the same 2 photos and auction sheet as everyone else.

Your chances of getting a great ride or lemon or the same no matter who you buy it from.

That's what you get for buying a car without driving it. If you can't live with the possibility of that risk perhaps importing an out of country vehicle isn't for you.

mx73someday
04-27-2006, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Envitro
Also, the risk in getting the car is the same if you do it yourself or through an importer (i.. IC).

The risk can be less with an established importer, you're using their experience, especially with auction sheet translations, if you've never seen one you could be confused by the translation. Also some exporters are better than others, using an importer who has already established good connections with exporters could benefit you more than going out on your own with an exporter for the first time.

If we're talking about why a $800 service fee is worthwhile, on your first attempt you could easily find an exporter who charges too much or is situated in the wrong city in Japan (expensive transportation fees). Also, if we have a shipment that includes many cars, it can save hundreds of dollars for each car because they share most of the brokerage costs among them, whereas with importing one single unit, that unit will have to pay all the brokerage fees itself.

I could go into more detail why it's a good idea to use an importer with an already established set of exporters: a good exporter will have good connections with the shipping companies to Canada and will get you space, instead of having your car sit in storage for months because the exporter you're using has never shipped vehicles to Canada before. A good exporter will have good connections with the auction house, in case you win a car at auction that has mechanical problems that weren't mentioned, you can actually take advantage of return/claim policies with the auction house.

typhoonslippery
04-27-2006, 04:20 PM
I think it is safe to say IC has the largest knowledge base for importing cars from japan and all the situations that can and have happened, as a result they know what can happen in any event as well as they stay up to date with the ever changing process and laws. Over the years IC has been searching many resources to get their customer the best deal on the best condition car and putting in processes to better understand and get the most information before a car is purchased though price is always a factor.

There will always be people who want to do it themselves and save a few bucks or buy a broker or auction car blind and that it arrives and it is how they "hope", at least you saved a couple hundred backs for repairs I guess. Buy a car locally that you can test drive and that has already been inspected as it is a safer road to go on but might cost a little more but in my opinion it is the better option

kdwebber
04-29-2006, 05:52 PM
If your going to import a car I would save yourself the trouble and hassels of importation and go with import concern. If you really want to save less than $1000 and do it yourself just know what your getting yourself into.

Cheers, Kyle