PDA

View Full Version : Interviews

heinz256
04-27-2006, 09:26 AM
So i really suck a$$ when it comes to interviews. Either my mind goes blank and nothing comes out of my mouth or other times, I would just get nervous and studder like crazy. Do you guys have any tips/advice/ preparation before going to an interview?

camby
04-27-2006, 09:35 AM
Read over your resume. I know it sounds silly because you supposedly wrote it all but chances are the interviewers will ask you questions about details from your resume.

Other than that, try to treat interviews like a discussion about why you are qualified for the position instead of an interrogation and you should feel more at ease.

EnRich
04-27-2006, 09:42 AM
^^ fuck that... walk into the interview, act like you have a million dollars in the bank and not a care in the world... you dont need this job, they need you, more then you need them... relax.

joyridder
04-27-2006, 09:56 AM
interviews are all about "selling yourself". Know your skills, qualities, and most important be yourself! I found some of these suggestions and tips helpful....Good Luck! http://interview.monster.ca/:clap:

~Leah~
04-27-2006, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by EnRich
^^ fuck that... walk into the interview, act like you have a million dollars in the bank and not a care in the world... you dont need this job, they need you, more then you need them... relax.

I don't think this is the type of attitude you want to portray. Sure, you do want to be relaxed and make them see that you would be an asset to them, but you don't want to portray the "fuck that, i don't need this job" attitude, that's not what a potential employer wants to see.

I think you have to really believe that you are suitable for the job. You can't have a good interview unless you believe you can go above and beyond the expectations of the position. As soon as you have that confidence, it is much easier to portray that during the interview. And always have answers prepared in advance. What type of positions are you being interviewed for? There are usually typical questions they ask for certain positions. Once you know these questions, you can prepare yourself a little better.

Hell, I've been in Kinesiology for 4 yrs (taking only 3-4 classes/semester) and I'm now realizing that it's more of a hobby than a career choice for me. Now, with no formal education or experience, I have an accounting job downtown in a great office, with great pay, just because I marketed the skills I DO have (being a fast learner, computer literate, work well with numbers, need to be busy, able to work as a team, attention to detail, etc etc). I got offered a contract until the end of August for now, because they do want me to get a degree, and said if I so chose, they would help pay for classes to finish a Business Degree with a focus in accounting, if I wanted to take night classes or something come September.

It's all about how you market yourself. But realize you probably won't get far with the "fuck this, I don't need you" attitude.

3G
04-27-2006, 11:14 AM
Ativan is ur friend :thumbsup:

topmade
04-27-2006, 11:28 AM
Stand in front of a mirror and talk out loud to yourself what you are going to say. If you've had interviews before you probably know what they are going to ask, so start asking and answering your self out loud to the mirror. As stupid and silly as this sounds it works! It helped me with presentations and interviews where my pantys get tied up in a knot and I sit there like a idiot not knowing what to say.

Overall, just relax as they are interviewing you as a potential employee so you already qualify for the job or they wouldn't be interviewing you. They just want to see if you fit in with the company.

googe
04-27-2006, 11:31 AM

dont listen to this guy. be very humble. no one wants to work with some dick that thinks he is king shit. an educated and qualified person that is humble and respectful is the biggest asset a company wants.

do that at our office and you can expect to get your ass handed to you and then get laughed out of the building :thumbsup:

TimG
04-27-2006, 01:07 PM
Check out that link on monster.ca about interview tips. There is some VERY good advice there. Think about how you will answer some of those questions - what is your biggest strength? weakness? where do you see yourself in 5-10 years?

Being overly humble isn't a good thing either because you come off as being too passive or not a go-getter.

Also make sure that you review the details of the original job posting and make sure you can re-iterate how you are taillor made for this job and how the company will benefit from hiring you. I'd also emphasize how you are a team player, but can also work with minimal supervision blablablabla.

They've seen your resume and liked it. Now they want to meet you and see what you're like in person. This is your time to sell yourself.

Some other (obvious?) tips:

Wear a nice suit. Dress better than your potential employers :)

Be polite. shake people's hands, introduce yourself, etc.

Shoes. make sure they're clean and polished. Nothing says :thumbsdow like someone who has a killer suit and shitty shoes.

make sure your hands and fingernails are clean and there's no dirt under your nails.

clean shaved/haircut/trimmed beard/whatever. personal grooming is good.

Bottom line is that this is probably the first time you'll be meeting these people and you want to make a great first impression.

Good luck

Audio_Rookie
04-27-2006, 02:24 PM

As much as this seems blunt and stupid. He does bring up an interesting point. Its all about confidence. Sitting in a confined room with a bunch of people asking you questions for an hour is alot of pressure. If you cant take the pressure of the interview, chances are they will feel you cant take the stress of doing the job they need you to do.

Although I hated my job at convergys very much. I learned to be confident while talking to other people.

Think about what they feel like. They either like your resume alot, or they are depserate. In either case, they want you. Just prove to them that your capable of doing what they need, and show some confidence.

I used to be similar, shaking and not confident. If I was hiring someone the number 1 thing I would look for is confidence. That and the fact that you are willing to work hard and long to further your career and help the business.

I wouldnt suggest the whole staring at a mirror and talking to yourself thing. Talking to yourself in your own home, and being questions by a bunch of other people in a closed room that not yours is way different.

As long as your confident and you can show them you got some intelligence, your in the clear. If they ask you about you education and you start talking about potatoes (but your confident) there probobly not gonna be to impressed.

Take your time, if you didnt hear it clearly ask for it to be repeated, but dont be afraid to use some tone and speak up so that everyone can hear you. If your gonna wisper in the corner your fucked.

Hope this helped some.

I really do think confidence is the numebr 1 thing stopping people from getting an awsome job, or working at fast food.

TimG
04-27-2006, 02:30 PM
There's a difference between confidence and arrogance. don't cross that line ;)

Audio_Rookie
04-27-2006, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by TimG
There's a difference between confidence and arrogance. don't cross that line ;)

I will agree with that. Thats why I also said "That and the fact that you are willing to work hard and long to further your career and help the business.``

googe
04-27-2006, 05:31 PM
i dunno, i think theres a lot of myths about interviews. it depends on the job. you also have to remember that the people doing the interviews are human and realize the candidates are human. when we do interviews, we try to ignore things that might have been influenced by interview pressure and arent reflective of their abilities in a normal setting.

a lot of technically brilliant people are not sales people, and no one expects them to be a hot shot walking into the interview. ask rage2, if some socially inept kid walked in there with a jolt cola and was nervous and articulated his answers not so smoothly, hes probably going to pique his interest even more ;)

speaking from experience...i once had an interview for a technical position and answered everything correctly. i was intimidated at the talent of the group of people interviewing me and told myself to try and be as confident as possible, and i didnt get the job. i later found out from the manager that the reason was because the team thought i was cocky :)