PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Wii

Xaroxantu Zero
04-27-2006, 11:05 AM
http://www.engadget.com/media/2006/04/wii.jpg

It's official: Nintendo Revolution is now called Nintendo Wii (pronounced "we"), and it's definitely no better than "Nintendo Go".

Seems like we've been calling this thing the Revolution for, well, forever. Well, we just got word over the wires that -- well ahead of any expected E3 announcements -- Nintendo announced the officially truly true name for the Revolution: the Nintendo Wii (like "we"). Nope, stop calling it the Revolution, it's not the Go, either. They're going for that whole gaming plurality thing that they've been talking about, bringing together communities who love to play, old school gamers, casual gamers, today's more evolved gamers: "It's about Wii, and together Wii will change everything." Ooook, guys, whatever you say. And yeah, we'll spare you all the puerile jokes.

What's with Nintendo's obsession with going to the bathroom? "I got a Go!"; "I got a Wii!"

heavyD
04-27-2006, 11:15 AM
This is a joke right?:dunno:

/////AMG
04-27-2006, 11:19 AM
As in wee wee, wee?

dennisaur
04-27-2006, 11:22 AM
lol wtf that name is pretty brokeback

Xaroxantu Zero
04-27-2006, 11:41 AM
Nintendo certainly had this all thought out:

Introducing... Wii.

As in "we."

While the code-name "Revolution" expressed our direction, Wii represents the answer.

Wii will break down that wall that separates video game players from everybody else.

Wii will put people more in touch with their games... and each other. But you're probably asking: What does the name mean?

Wii sounds like "we," which emphasizes this console is for everyone.

Wii can easily be remembered by people around the world, no matter what language they speak. No confusion. No need to abbreviate. Just Wii.

Wii has a distinctive "ii" spelling that symbolizes both the unique controllers and the image of people gathering to play.

And Wii, as a name and a console, brings something revolutionary to the world of video games that sets it apart from the crowd.

So that's Wii. But now Nintendo needs you.

Because, it's really not about you or me.

It's about Wii.

And together, Wii will change everything.

heavyD
04-27-2006, 11:53 AM
What about people like me. Wii have HDTV's and are quite used to Xbox360 in HD and soon PS3. Even with the new control concept Wii aren't going to be blown away by a Nintendo console with 1.5 x the power of the GCN and only 480p capability. Maybe I & others are wrong. Maybe Wii just don't get it?:dunno:

treg50
04-27-2006, 03:13 PM
At first I thought it was messed up but after checking the Nintendo site I understand it and like it. Pretty cool.

Click -> Wii (http://revolution.nintendo.com/)

ZEDGE
04-27-2006, 06:51 PM
And the fall of Nintendo continues...

BerserkerCatSplat
04-27-2006, 07:17 PM
Nintendo can rationalize and market it all they want, but "Wii" still sounds retarded.

Xtrema
04-27-2006, 07:28 PM
I think Nintendo finally admit that the 2 Goliaths already got the adult male market and will retreat to kids market only.

I don't think any heterasexual male will tell anyone they are playing with their wittle wii wii's. :rofl:

treg50
04-28-2006, 09:11 AM
Wii will, Wiii will, ROCK YOU

I know you like it. Nintendo, call me.

Just wait, lol. It's just a name get over it. It's Nintendo, it's going to rock. Revolution was just a codename, but the word 'revolution' is what you should pay attention to. The Wii is a revolution, the weirdass/interesting controller, the refusal to play the 'processing power wanking' game with MS and Sony. I already know what to expect from 360 and PS3, boring. I'm definitely interested in checking Wii out.

Pee_Sack
04-28-2006, 09:24 AM
http://wiichange.ytmnd.com/

http://wiigonads.ytmnd.com/

http://wiiwillrockyou.ytmnd.com/

thought I would share these with you.

treg50
04-28-2006, 09:49 AM
^
Hahaha, lol. Nice.

heavyD
04-28-2006, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by treg50
Wii will, Wiii will, ROCK YOU

I know you like it. Nintendo, call me.

Just wait, lol. It's just a name get over it. It's Nintendo, it's going to rock. Revolution was just a codename, but the word 'revolution' is what you should pay attention to. The Wii is a revolution, the weirdass/interesting controller, the refusal to play the 'processing power wanking' game with MS and Sony. I already know what to expect from 360 and PS3, boring. I'm definitely interested in checking Wii out.

Do you thing waving your arms around going to mimic movement is going to blow people away on a system with less HP than the original Xbox and a max of 480p output? Light guns games were never popular and it's a very similar principal. As you can see by the gay name Nintendo is marketing the console towards kids & young teens. I find 480i pretty boring myself.

"Look what I can do with my Wii! I can make Mario squirt water at bad guys just by shaking my arm up and down." Gay! :rolleyes:

MudCrawler
04-28-2006, 02:24 PM
^^sorry heavy d, im going to have to dissagree. I love clean looking, high powered, high resolution machines like everyone else, but none of that will keep me from enjoying my favorite nintendo characters in any nintendo games, because no matter how old i get, I will still always be a kid at heart. And I find nintendo just gets the kid out in everyone, and its one thing i dont mind.

Chris101
04-28-2006, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by MudCrawler
^^sorry heavy d, im going to have to dissagree. I love clean looking, high powered, high resolution machines like everyone else, but none of that will keep me from enjoying my favorite nintendo characters in any nintendo games, because no matter how old i get, I will still always be a kid at heart. And I find nintendo just gets the kid out in everyone, and its one thing i dont mind.

:werd: Nothing beats a group of friends, some beer, and hours upon hours of Mario Party.

heavyD
04-28-2006, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Chris101

:werd: Nothing beats a group of friends, some beer, and hours upon hours of Mario Party.

How old are you guys?:confused: If Nintendo games still had selling power the Gamecube wouldn't have sold so poorly. Not only did it sell poorly is also had the lowest attachment rate of software to hardware by a fair margin behind Xbox & PS3. The kid is out of all the people that played Mario when they are kids, that's the problem. Adults don't want to play Mario 10, as they would rather play Half Life, Halo, or Metal Gear Solid. And with Wii's graphics capabilities so low it will be impossible for 3rd party developers to include Wii with any crossplatform titles which means that 360 & PS3 will get all the mainstream AAA titles and Wii will get stuck with some niche games that utilize the controller & the typical sprinkling of Nintendo mascott games which are hit & miss.

nerd_b
04-28-2006, 10:44 PM
nintendo is weak look what happen when resident evil came out for the cube, it was there best rated game. kiddie games are a no go, kids grow up real fast and start playing games that are more then just linear clobbering.

i guess nintendo will always be around someway somehow but how many versions of mario brothers do wii need?!?

bigboom
04-29-2006, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Chris101

agreed, i could care less thats only 480p...i play video games for enjoyment and for some reason i get the most enjoyment out of nintendo still.

heavyd you gotta understand that not everyone is into your HD high processing power box...learn to live outside your box, and not argue with peoples opnions.

mx73someday
04-29-2006, 12:14 PM
I've been a gamer for most of my life, and I've been exiled to the world of Nintendo for the past year or so and I couldn't complain. Nintendo DS is where it's at.

The Gamecube sucked because their was no multi-system play, who else is sick of playing 4-player split screen?

Nissanaddict
04-29-2006, 06:29 PM
Nobody messes with Adam Wii....ok I think that's enough.

iceburns288
04-29-2006, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Nissanaddict
Nobody messes with Adam Wii....ok I think that's enough.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

treg50
04-29-2006, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
Do you thing waving your arms around going to mimic movement is going to blow people away on a system with less HP than the original Xbox and a max of 480p output? Light guns games were never popular and it's a very similar principal. As you can see by the gay name Nintendo is marketing the console towards kids & young teens. I find 480i pretty boring myself.

"Look what I can do with my Wii! I can make Mario squirt water at bad guys just by shaking my arm up and down." Gay! :rolleyes:

"HP" (processing power) means nothing without content. The Xbox destroyed the PS2 and GameCube in everyway except when it came to the games. It had some good ones but not as many good ones as Nintendo and Sony. Processing power/graphics is not the be all and end all. I found myself wishing that a few PS2 & GameCube games were also available for my Xbox (love my Xbox, but MarioSoccer was pretty fun to demo at the store).

480i won't matter to most people. Much like the on the web, the most common screen resolution is 1024 x 786 followed by 800 x 600. Yeah, 21" monitors and >1280x1024 resolution is available and so are 1080i HD-TV's, but who cares: the majority of people DON'T have 21" monitors or HD-TV's. Why increase the price of your system with technology that 85% of people can't use?

The Wii's controller is no light gun. Yes, it's weird but look at the light gun, the Dance Dance Revolution dance-pad, the Guitar Heros guitar, the Sega Bass Fishing reel (that was awesome) --- yes limited in application but extremely fun to use. The Wii's controller is going to be for all games not just one or two specific titles --- it's aimed to make gaming fun and easier to get into for people new to gaming.

saiyajin
05-10-2006, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by bigboom

agreed, i could care less thats only 480p...i play video games for enjoyment and for some reason i get the most enjoyment out of nintendo still.

heavyd you gotta understand that not everyone is into your HD high processing power box...learn to live outside your box, and not argue with peoples opnions.

:werd:
sorry heavyd but its odd how you speak for the behalf of everyone ...who is to say what gets the most enjoyment out of people, if its fun i dont give a shit and when i saw the light gun app on the remote/controller im just imagining how badass its going to be playing FPS games and being able to actually aim at the target and shoot like in the arcades:guns:

Xtrema
05-10-2006, 05:37 PM
Wii may actually combat child obesity problems...

:rofl:

But yeah, while Nintendo is getting all the buzz, the I think they will remain niche player. But I would bet that MS is happy that Nintendo may actually steal enough Japanese sales from PS3 that it may actually hurt Sony in the home market where PS still has the stronghold.

Once Sony lost home base, it'll be all down hill from here.

deadsoulasis
05-14-2006, 06:15 AM
'''''''''''but who cares: the majority of people DON'T have 21" monitors or HD-TV's. Why increase the price of your system with technology that 85% of people can't use?''''''

which is strange in a way ...cause CRT 21's are so cheap...

I have a 19' 21' and 24inch Sony CRT monitor ...which was cheap as well ..all of them way below HD-TV cost.I watch movies,tv and games mostly 99% of the time on monitors ....and after a year of that

Normal televisions look like garbage now in my eyes :thumbsdow

Vagabond142
05-14-2006, 12:24 PM
21" CRT's also weigh more than a ton :D

But I have to agree, gaming is NOT just about pretty graphics. Take Olbivion for example... it looks GORGEOUS... but it's pretty much the **MOST BORING** game I have ever had the displeasure of playing. A lot of people love it, but I'll take Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter, hell, even Unreal Tournament 2004 or Homeworld over it. Gaming is about fun. This is why Metroid Prime on the GC and Gran Turismo 3/4 on the PS2 are such huge hits. They both suffer from boredom problems, as do most games, but by the sheer fun of the game, you really don't mind.

Then there is Ikaruga... :guns: :guns: :guns: a game that is addictive, fun, great graphics and still BLOODY IMPOSSIBLE TO BEAT :guns: :guns: :guns:

deadsoulasis
05-14-2006, 02:05 PM
CRT's weigh alot ...true but have better blacks then SDTV-LCD'S ...a good 8ms res. time LCD will run you over 700 bucks for 21 inches ...
yet I got mine for 65 bucks on ebay ...so ...Sony 1600x1200 -82 hz

Xaroxantu Zero
05-25-2006, 12:10 PM
Back on topic... it's official that the Wii will be sold for US$250. Click here (http://www.engadget.com/2006/05/25/wii-pricing-250-or-less/) for more information.

heavyD
05-25-2006, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Xaroxantu Zero
Back on topic... it's official that the Wii will be sold for US$250. Click here (http://www.engadget.com/2006/05/25/wii-pricing-250-or-less/) for more information.

It's a little on the high side for a gamecube with gyroscopic controller as most hoped it would come in at $199 US. Microsoft is one price drop away from stealing the thunder Wii gained at E3.

Xtrema
05-25-2006, 02:15 PM
$250 isn't too bad. But must be disappointing for the Wii360 crowd.

AJL
05-27-2006, 12:42 AM
Thats A good price point. So good I may consider picking one up. It looks like nintendo is attempting to get back into its glory days.
+1 for a new duck hunt :hitit: (please oh please!!!)

I bet Sony is kicking themselves... lol

heavyD
05-27-2006, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
$250 isn't too bad. But must be disappointing for the Wii360 crowd.

That's very expensive for what you get. The system itself amounts to a GCN 1.5 and GCN's retail for under $100 US. That meant the controller cost essentially $150. Too much money for what you are getting when you consider that a single of the 360's tripple cores has over triple the power of Wii. You aren't getting a digital optical output, you arent getting DVD playback, and you don't get HD output. You can put whatever positive spin you want on it but Nintendo has stated that they are aiming to sell to the non-gamer crowd and non-gamers are not going to put down $250 for a console that side by side compared to the 360 & PS3 is going to look like ass in the electronic stores on display.

Like one of the editors said at IGN. A non-gamer that doesn't know alot about games is going to go to the store and see Gears of War side by side compared to Blade of Steel on display and his decision will be made right there especially if the core 360 system drops to $199 US as rumored may happen.

eb0i
05-29-2006, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by mx73someday
I've been a gamer for most of my life, and I've been exiled to the world of Nintendo for the past year or so and I couldn't complain. Nintendo DS is where it's at.

The Gamecube sucked because their was no multi-system play, who else is sick of playing 4-player split screen?

I love the DS I picked one up during last christmas and to this date I can't put it down. What I love is how there are so many new ways of playing games now. Its not just the analog stick/d-pad with buttons, but you also use the stylus in a lot of the games and it makes the games so unique to whatever else is out there. Compared (game play) to a PSP the DS kicks its ass by far. Now that the Wii is coming out I think that if it is anything like the DS in making game play more unique, I will be in on that action. I'm sick and tired of the same old controller, its time for a new way to play games and Wii is it!

heavyD
05-29-2006, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by eb0i

I love the DS I picked one up during last christmas and to this date I can't put it down. What I love is how there are so many new ways of playing games now. Its not just the analog stick/d-pad with buttons, but you also use the stylus in a lot of the games and it makes the games so unique to whatever else is out there. Compared (game play) to a PSP the DS kicks its ass by far. Now that the Wii is coming out I think that if it is anything like the DS in making game play more unique, I will be in on that action. I'm sick and tired of the same old controller, its time for a new way to play games and Wii is it!

Yeah but I'll be convinced when non-Nintendo fanboys say that.:rolleyes:

A_3
05-29-2006, 09:58 PM
Personally, I think the Wii looks really cool. I understand it doesn't have half the technical mumbo jumbo that its competitors do, but for the average gamer like myself, it looks like a blast.

I can't wait to tee up my golf ball in Mario Golf and take my regular swing and have it transfer onto the tv. Or how about making real tennis strokes in Mario Tennis. And playing arcade style shooters without having to go to the arcade.

You have to remember that your average joe who plays video games does not understand all this triple core processor, X amount bits of ram, 480p, 720p, etc... speak. He wants the system with the games that are the most fun.

Now don't get me wrong, we all love pretty looking games. However, the other day I pulled out my good ol' N64 and dusted her off. I've been playing non-stop since, the game play of many of those games is incredible. I enjoy my XBOX very much, but the sheer quantity of great games on the N64 makes it my all time favorite.

As cool as the 360 is, it doesn't thrill me. It seems like an upgrade of the last system, more like XBOX1.5 then a whole new system. The PS3 on the other hand looks like it's going to be priced in margins that I am not willing to entertain for a simple gaming system. The Wii however is trying something new, and as far as i'm concerned, it looks really interesting and worth my time/research to look into.

It could turn out to be a simple gimick. In which case all the nay-sayers are justified in what they're saying. But as far as i'm concerned, Nintendoe has my attention, something they had lost when they aimed at a kiddie market with the cube.

In all reality though, i'll probably end up purchasing both a 360 (for Halo 3 and the Kotor series [if they ever choose to make a third] and a Wii. I have a feeling it will be a great time to have a couple pals over to play a basement 18, or possibly a game of baseball from the comfort of the couch.

eb0i
05-30-2006, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by heavyD

Yeah but I'll be convinced when non-Nintendo fanboys say that.:rolleyes:

Well considering I prefered the PSX over the N64 and I never even bothered buying a Game Cube and went with a PS2 and xbox. I think its safe to say that I was never a nintendo fan b0i :D The DS was the first nintendo gaming system I had bought in a long time.

ex1z7
06-12-2006, 02:32 AM
Just to kick an old thread back up..

I've always been a Nintendo fan boy, till the cube, then I realised xbox is where it's at. For me at least I enjoy the xbox the most. I don't own a PS2, and I'd buy one simply for all the RPG's it has, but I don't have the time anymore to sit there playing an RPG for 6 or more hours a day like I used to.

Though, how hard would it be, really, to make the Wii play DVD's, CD's, MP3's, have HD output, and mutli-system play ? I understand Nintendo want to keep the thing small and sexy but.. when you're aiming it at a crowd that aren't hardcore gamers, why not aim it at a crowd who might want to watch movies, play music, do all that shit? If I was going to look at spending 250 dollars on something to play DVD's and entertain my kids/myself randomly, I'd pick up a Wii if it could do all that.. xbox did, ps2 did.. You didn't need a home entertainment system, a dvd player, or a multitude of gaming systems if you had an xbox/ps2 .. With such basic technology, put a damn DVD drivei nto the Wii.. Especially if you want to sell it to a non-gamer crowd who might actually BUY IT for that instead of for it to play games. Besides, the Wii looks nicer then most DVD players out there.

Although I never got into the pokemon craze, I have to bring it up to show how fricken cool Nintendo is and how awesome they are to think the way they do... I'm not sure if anyone remembers the Pokemon thing (my cousins were into it and i hung there alot) but you could put your gameboy cartridge somewhere into your N64, and play your ghetto 8bit pokemon game with a 30 inch screen. That's so fricken cool. Or you could do the Pokemon stadium thing and use pokemon you raised from gameboy and trade them and shit.. It was sweet.. The gamecube, too, has something you can connect DS's to so you can play certain games with the DS on the big screen and stuff. Iono, I just love how Nintendo thought about that sort've thing, taking their little portable systems and making them work on their game systems. I wish PSP/Ps2 could be mingled, or if you could transfer your music to your xbox easily, so you can use it as a media center.. Damn thing looks like a VCR anyways.

That's just my $0.02