PDA

View Full Version : Going to Europe/Want to drive Nurburgring/What do I need

Super_Geo
04-27-2006, 06:28 PM
Hey so I'm taking a trip to Europe in June with a few buddies, and we want to rent a decently fast car and drive the Nurburgring, though none of us really know where to start looking. Anyone have any past experience or advice with such things? I'm looking through their website now, but I can't find a place where it says if they'll allow rentals on there... or maybe they'd even rent the cars themselves? Anyone have any info on this? And would I be able to buy insurance there? I've been going to school for the past 4 years and haven't been driving, so I have a 4 year gap in my insurance history.

Oh, and we're all 22 years old... which I hear can be a problem in some parts of Europe. What the shit is this I hear about a lot of clubs not letting any guys below 25 in?

Ajay
04-27-2006, 07:14 PM
I think it costs 13 Euros to drive the Nurburgring regardless if it's a rental or your own.

No idea on the whole age restrictions on renting cars....I'de assume it would be the same there as it is here. Minimum 25 years old but most of the places I've rented cars from have been lax about it as long as you provide a credit card (I'm 24 and I rented cars when I was 21).

Vagabond142
04-27-2006, 07:19 PM
If you have an international drivers license (you just apply at the registry, takes a bit o cash and some time), and proof of insurance (call your insurance company), you should be okay in europe. As for renting in Germany, I know that you can rent Ferrari's, NSX's, Porsche's etc for running around the ring specifically. I don't remember the name of the rental place, but it's in the town that inside the ring, if I remember correctly

(BTW, this is all second hand and scrabbled out of my brain from a thread on another board I saw like 8 months ago, I could be utterly and entirely wrong about the rental place. But I have buddies that hold international licenses so I know that all you need is a relatively clear driving record (no suspensions) and some cash and time. It's good for a year or two I think

BerserkerCatSplat
04-27-2006, 07:39 PM
Before you hit the Ring, be sure to procure a copy of BMW's guide to driving the Ring - it has detailed information about what to expect on each corner and the correct driving line to take.

I have it in PDF format, but I can't remember where I got it from.

Neil4Speed
04-29-2006, 03:19 PM
If your generally driving a car around in Germany, finding a reasonably fast car is difficult and expensive. The fastest/reasonably priced rental we found from a rental agency was a E220 CDI, (which we took at 200KPH+ for long periods of time).

I am not to sure about the ring, you probably have rental companys etc, but expect to pay a very very pretty penny.

Some sort of Navigation system is very very handy in germany as reading maps etc is difficult due to the road structure and road names.

You must go to the Audi Factory in Inglostadlt, Stuttgart for Porcshe Museum/MB Museum/Factory amungst many more car related things

iceburns288
04-29-2006, 06:38 PM
I think rage was planning on going and renting an M3, which, considering it's Germany, doesn't seem like it should be a problem:dunno:

Then again, he's got a shitload of money to rent it with :p

mac_82
04-29-2006, 09:52 PM
Here is a live webcam updated every few minutes for some inspiration :drool:

http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg