PDA

View Full Version : Engineering Design and Drafting

Diesel2005
04-29-2006, 09:58 AM
I hope someone here can help me with a few questions for this program at SAIT.

Are there many jobs available when I graduate from this program in 2 years? How is the pay rate? Also anyone here know if SAIT offers any type of transfer program for Engineering Design and Drafting?

Grip172
04-29-2006, 11:26 AM
i was thinking of taking that program. but i choose civil engineering technology instead. If you look into it, there aren't many if ANY, transfer options once you complete the 2 years. And i think th epay is reasonable but i've also heard that alot about your job would be typicall involving AutoCADD and drafting, pretty much day in, day out. I dunno, not my cup tea, but to each his own.

Diesel2005
04-29-2006, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Grip172
i was thinking of taking that program. but i choose civil engineering technology instead. If you look into it, there aren't many if ANY, transfer options once you complete the 2 years. And i think th epay is reasonable but i've also heard that alot about your job would be typicall involving AutoCADD and drafting, pretty much day in, day out. I dunno, not my cup tea, but to each his own.

What would be reasonable considered? I personally don't mind autocad day in day out.

5abi
05-06-2006, 04:16 PM
how bout those 33weeks process piping drafting courses?

pdm111
05-06-2006, 07:48 PM
if you take the piping option, starting wage is $18-$23
not to sure about the structural option
i heard the civil option is up to $17

job market is good right now, not sure how it will be in 2 years.

SarahLynn
05-07-2006, 01:41 PM
If you get into drafting for oil and gas land survey companies there are far more jobs then people to fill them. We are always looking for people, as are all the other oil and gas survey companies. Once you have a year or 2 experience you just leave to the company that will offer you the most money (as long as you are good at drafting).

ApexDrift
05-07-2006, 04:15 PM
drafters are in high demand right now, with good pay... it is autocadd or microstation day in day out, for the first little bit, then with some experiance you can start designing... it doesnt really matter what major you take. i took the civil option because i knew the teachers were easy and in the end it doesnt really matter what option you take... i know people who took the civil option but are drafting pipelines, another person took piping and is now drafting and designing water slides (so cool).

the only thing i hated bout the program was the 3rd semester which seemed to drag on and on, the last semester was the easist...

not many classes are transferable to a university but some university's in the states accept almost the full 2 year program as a transfer and you can finish 2 more years to get a degree... with the degree and the diploma your pay grade will jump from a average of 40000 to 90000 a year... this is according to the information that ive recived so its not concret

JordanEG6
05-11-2006, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Diesel2005
I hope someone here can help me with a few questions for this program at SAIT.

Are there many jobs available when I graduate from this program in 2 years? How is the pay rate? Also anyone here know if SAIT offers any type of transfer program for Engineering Design and Drafting?

i work for concise design engineering services, and from what i know, oil and gas is the way to go with ENG. D&D, lots of our leads in drafting make upwards from 40-80 bucks an hour. juniors like me start at around 20-30, which isnt too bad..but later down the road it gets better.

there might be a huge recession this year...its good to apply to smaller companies before the big ones stop all there projects and lay people off.

JordanEG6
05-11-2006, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by JordanEG6

i work for concise design engineering services, and from what i know, oil and gas is the way to go with ENG. D&D, lots of our leads in drafting make upwards from 40-80 bucks an hour. juniors like me start at around 20-30, which isnt too bad..but later down the road it gets better.

there might be a huge recession this year...its good to apply to smaller companies before the big ones stop all there projects and lay people off.

also, if there is no recession, companies liek colt or bantrel are hiring all kinds of draftsman from any discipline because, like stated before, they are high in demand in alberta, especially in oil and gas and also out in fort mac, grand prairie etc.

RawB8figure
05-12-2006, 07:05 AM
arent the guys that are making 40-80 have training in PDS(autoplant) and rebis design systems. I heard to get that training is really expensive.

HillBilly
05-12-2006, 09:32 AM
EDDT diploma = 100% hire rate.

Way more jobs than qualified staff right now.

as far as pay rate..... you will make a VERY comfortable living with very good benefits.

snowboard
05-12-2006, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by 5abi
how bout those 33weeks process piping drafting courses?

im in that course, as i type, watching my instructor slip bolts into holes, and out, and in and out. haha ENGD320 soooooo fun.

its not that bad, at all, you get your own lab, your own computer, everyday, and the instructors are actually really good. plus jobs are everywhere. the program is a tad unorganized. but its gooooood. its a very very fast paced learning style, but half of the people in my class can barely speak english so yah, its obviously not that hard.

PM me if you want details, ive also already worked as a draftsman.

snowboard
05-12-2006, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by RawB8figure
arent the guys that are making 40-80 have training in PDS(autoplant) and rebis design systems. I heard to get that training is really expensive.

you can get training for PDS in alabama for 3g's for 5 days of class. or go work somewhere and get it for free, alotr of companys will teach you PDS themselves.

Also Smart plant is starting to get big, so i hear. so they have added that to our program i think.