PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on 06' Civic EX

ecstasy_civic
04-29-2006, 01:28 PM
Im looking for a new car, again:angel: but ive narrowed my search to the new Civic.
Problem is, im going to be buying a house in the fall, and as much as I want the new Si, it makes more sense to purchase the cheaper EX.

Im just wondering who out there owns or has driven this car, and what your experiances were.
Flaws, positives, options, quality, performance...

Thanks

:thumbsup:

whiskas
04-29-2006, 03:18 PM
I've driven an '05 LX, not that much difference as far as I know.

The engine feels peppy and likes to rev. Although it's not exactly very fast. The shifter is nice.

The clutch feels like I'm stepping on a dead puppy, it's mushy and lifeless, I can't feel what the clutch is doing and I still stall it occassionally on the driveway.

I'm 6'4" and the seats are very uncomfortable after a half hour drive, my lower back kills afterwards.

It's a civic so thieves will go to it like flies to shit, the civic was broken into 2 months after I got it.

Power steering pump ate itself after 5000km.

Dealership (the new one on South Mcleod) was very friendly and did things without hassle.

Interior is very nicely put together.

MudCrawler
04-29-2006, 03:31 PM
Not much difference? ^^^:rofl:

As an owner of an 06, i can tell you that its a completely different car. The car feels like it has much more pep, and the seats are some of the best i have ever sat in (they are also very different).

I have 12 thousand clicks on mine, and drove it to vancouver a couple of times, and am very very satisfied with the car.

gpomp
04-29-2006, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by whiskas
I've driven an '05 LX, not that much difference as far as I know.

05 and 06 civics are completely different.

ecstasy_civic
04-29-2006, 05:31 PM
Ya bro theres a huge difference lol

anyways....

After going to check the car out today, im pretty sold on it, looks great.

Just have to decide if I can swing the Si somehow:angel: :D

MudCrawler
04-29-2006, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by ecstasy_civic
Ya bro theres a huge difference lol

anyways....

After going to check the car out today, im pretty sold on it, looks great.

Just have to decide if I can swing the Si somehow:angel: :D

When i bought mine the waiting list was waaay too long, so i decided to not get the Si, but if i were to buy it this time of year, i definatly wouldve gone for it. If the $'s there, go for it.

ecstasy_civic
04-29-2006, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by MudCrawler

When i bought mine the waiting list was waaay too long, so i decided to not get the Si, but if i were to buy it this time of year, i definatly wouldve gone for it. If the $'s there, go for it.

How do you like your car? obviously its not comparable in performance, but fuel economy, handling, etc...

BlueFrenzy
04-29-2006, 06:53 PM
I drove my friend's 06 Civic EX the other day. I'd have to say I like it better than the previous model. It's bigger, roomier, equal fuel economy and more powerful than the previous one (140hp). For one, there are SO many storage spaces that if a thief broke in, he'd have to rifle through all the compartments for 10minutes to get all your goods :)

I found the 5spd manual box a bit notchy but otherwise good. Clutch effort is normal. Handling is what you would expect from a Civic (a bit soft for my liking but not terrible). I don't know about you, but I think the new instrument panel is sweet! I love digital speedometers! The extra plus is that you can tilt and telescope the wheel to your hearts content without blocking the instruments.

The SI is one sexy beast. Do it if you can!

MudCrawler
04-29-2006, 11:33 PM

How do you like your car? obviously its not comparable in performance, but fuel economy, handling, etc...

Its a wonderful car. Smooth engine, comfy, good stereo, very nice interior, lovely display and options list. Wide entry trunk w/pass thru. Its great.

Xtrema
04-30-2006, 09:42 PM
Have a 06 LX coupe auto. Nothing to complain about except a few cheap plastic parts. But overall it has the feel of a much more expensive car. Way better than 05. The 1.8L engine is very frugal I'm at 1200km and just started on 3rd tank of gas. Averaging about 6.6L/100km mixed driving and it probably get better as engine get break in more.

EX isn't much different than LX except a few cosmetic extras.

The only downside is not everyone like the dash. But after spending time on it, I got used to it but I do find the old 2 dial side by side is better.

Si only about $5K more but you do pay more insurance and gas as well. There's a wait but it's a very fun car.

Quality wise, I think that they are pumping these car so fast that quality isn't checked very well. Our LX came in with the folding back seat cloth completely not stapled/attached from the back, the innard of the seat was exposed looking in from the trunk. A minor problem which dealer fixed immediately but did cast a bit of doubt that if something that obvious is missed, what else can go wrong.

antonaldon
04-30-2006, 09:51 PM
howz trunk space in the coupes?

Zephyr
04-30-2006, 10:00 PM
Very freaking good gas milage.

brandon
05-01-2006, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

EX isn't much different than LX except a few cosmetic extras.

The only differences between the two are

-Black interior (coupe only)
-Sunroof
-7 Speaker Sound System
-Rear Disc Brakes
-Exhaust Tip

But that's it.

MudCrawler
05-01-2006, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by antonaldon

Surprisingly big!

Xtrema
05-01-2006, 08:12 AM

Gianormus :D

Altezza
05-01-2006, 08:19 AM

Surprisingly big!

Big enough to fit a mountain bike?

Xtrema
05-01-2006, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Altezza

Big enough to fit a mountain bike?

Back seat down, trunk lid probably won't close unless you can remove handle bar.

ecstasy_civic
05-01-2006, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by brandon

The only differences between the two are

-Black interior (coupe only)
-Sunroof
-7 Speaker Sound System
-Rear Disc Brakes
-Exhaust Tip

But that's it.

Thats enough to convince me to get an EX lol

I was up all night trying to figure a way to get us into an Si:cry:

Aleks
05-01-2006, 10:36 AM
^ I got a ride in one and um hehe IT's worth it if you're into the hi revving type of thing. It reminded me of the ITR + the ammenities and a couple more hundred pounds.

sputnik
05-01-2006, 10:52 AM

The trunk space is pretty good. However the back seat is almost useless. Unless your friends dont have legs.

GQNammer
05-01-2006, 10:54 AM
I own a 06 Si and I can tell you that it's a whole lotta fun. It corners like a dream. It's got a lot of pep to it also. I wouldn't say it's super fast, but for a civic it's got very good power. The seats are very comfortable compared to the other models. The only thing I have a problem with the Si is that it costs me about $53.00 to drive about 440km. Now that's a lot for me considering I'm used to pumping $37.00 for 450km.

I've had a few friends drive my civic and they all love it. The space in the back really wasn't a problem when I had 3 friends sit back there, and they're not small guys.

I'm not sure how much the EX's go for. But if you want a car that is very responsive and extra fun to drive, i'd spend the extra penny if possible.

antonaldon
05-01-2006, 10:55 AM

Surprisingly big!

would it be enough to pick up 1-2 people from the airport with 2-3 luggages?:)

sputnik
05-01-2006, 10:56 AM
I personally didnt like the Civic and bought the Accord instead.

I personally found the interior to be an awkward design (i hate the 2 tier guages). The upholstery was decent but the bucket seats were flat and uncomfortable. The coupe had back seats that were pretty much useless for transporting any adults anywhere. I also found the clutch to be pretty mushy and the shifter felt like it was made of recycled 2L bottles and would snap at any moment.

Sure the car looks alright from the outside bit they need to do some serious work inside to convince me to buy one.

If you are planning to lease one the base Accord Coupe may be close to the same monthly price since the lease rates on the Civics are 7.4%.

GQNammer
05-01-2006, 11:02 AM

When my fiance and I went on vacation; we took 2 large luggages, 2 backpacks, 4 grocery bags full of misc things, and a few 'aritzia' styled bags in the trunk with no problem and we still had room for more.

Xtrema
05-01-2006, 11:04 AM
Accord Coupe isn't as agile but you do gain the room and has better material inside. The bigger engine and extra weight will cost you a bit more gas tho.

Civic's back seat isn't a problem as long as all 4 occupants are under 6'. it is a bit tight for 5 people. If anyone is over 6', you may not be comfortable for long trips.

Yes, as long as the luggage isn't oversize and you may have to fold down the 60 side.

ecstasy_civic
05-02-2006, 05:00 PM
Ill be taking my first test drive on Thurs. and that will seal the deal either way IMO.

I had a question, do you guys think the interest rates might go down through summer or early fall? Just wondering if it would be worth it to wait and put down a larger down payment:dunno:

Xtrema
05-02-2006, 05:05 PM
I had a question, do you guys think the interest rates might go down through summer or early fall? Just wondering if it would be worth it to wait and put down a larger down payment:dunno:

nowhere to go but up. I won't be suprise if we're up another 1/2 to 3/4% by fall.

Civic is selling very well that you won't find any deals from dealership either. It's 6.9% this month. But it's only 2.9% on all Accords and CR-Vs.

Aleks
05-02-2006, 05:19 PM
^
Not true. It did go down albeit very small ammount. 6.95 -> 6.9
Also there are deals to be had. If you know what you're doing you can get up to $1000 off any civic model.

ecstasy_civic
05-03-2006, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by Aleks
^
Also there are deals to be had. If you know what you're doing you can get up to $1000 off any civic model.

Good to know, :D ill remember that lol

GQNammer
05-03-2006, 01:59 PM
^

With a long waiting list for the Si's, I highly doubt you can get any $$$ off the ticket price.

Aleks
05-03-2006, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by GQNammer

With a long waiting list for the Si's, I highly doubt you can get any $$$ off the ticket price.

I was able to get 700 knocked off on my quote. So how long did you wait for your Si? This is one of the factors that might make me go elsewhere. When did you order and when did it come?

thanks.

Xtrema
05-03-2006, 02:48 PM

I was able to get 700 knocked off on my quote. So how long did you wait for your Si? This is one of the factors that might make me go elsewhere. When did you order and when did it come?

thanks.

what's included in your "quote"? Things like admin fee, doc fee and unecessary extras are used to padded up the quote so they can take $$$ off.

The best deal I've heard is $700 off a sedan (MSRP, no funny extras). I havn't heard any good deal on a coupe.

peter_pan
05-04-2006, 08:21 AM
I've own a 00' SiR. Not sure if u can compare the two?

Xtrema
05-04-2006, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by peter_pan

No. This one has more power and LSD.

peter_pan
05-04-2006, 10:14 AM
How about the fun factor?

No. This one has more power and LSD.

MudCrawler
05-04-2006, 10:15 AM
Its definatly fun.

peter_pan
05-04-2006, 10:15 AM
Can you compare new MX5 and new Si?

I own a 06 Si and I can tell you that it's a whole lotta fun. It corners like a dream. It's got a lot of pep to it also. I wouldn't say it's super fast, but for a civic it's got very good power. The seats are very comfortable compared to the other models. The only thing I have a problem with the Si is that it costs me about $53.00 to drive about 440km. Now that's a lot for me considering I'm used to pumping $37.00 for 450km.

I've had a few friends drive my civic and they all love it. The space in the back really wasn't a problem when I had 3 friends sit back there, and they're not small guys.

I'm not sure how much the EX's go for. But if you want a car that is very responsive and extra fun to drive, i'd spend the extra penny if possible.

ecstasy_civic
05-04-2006, 01:33 PM

I had one too, and thats kind of why im so interested in it, it was the best car ive ever owned.

I dont think theres anything similar about the two cars except the big "H" and the 8K redline:drool:

GQNammer
05-04-2006, 05:13 PM

thanks.

I ordered mine right at the beginning of February and recieved it on March 27th. This was at T&T Honda btw.

I'm sure other places like crowfoot honda village honda have shorter waiting lists.

I got xtras for cheaper prices than they had listed......but they're extras. Stuff like 3M and "paint protection package." But that's also because I got them to install a compustar alarm and the aftermarket body kit.

GQNammer
05-04-2006, 05:18 PM
Can you compare new MX5 and new Si?

I can't compare them because I've never driven in an MX5. But comparing the 06 Si with the 00 Si is pretty clear. For one, 00 Si's aren't i-vtec. You really only feel "power" if you hit over 6000rpm. In the 06s, you feel it pretty much anywhere in the rpm band.

The 06's is a lot more roomier than the 00's. LSD is a huge thing for me so that's another big difference.

Let's just say if you enjoy your 00 SIRs, you'll ditch it in a second after driving the 06 Si's.

Xtrema
05-04-2006, 06:59 PM
I got xtras for cheaper prices than they had listed......but they're extras. Stuff like 3M and "paint protection package." But that's also because I got them to install a compustar alarm and the aftermarket body kit.

Every dealer I talk to won't back off MSRP. But will scale back on stuff that has 100-200% margins like the stuff you listed.

Aleks
05-04-2006, 09:17 PM
My quote had a few hundered off because I know someone that works there. :)