PDA

View Full Version : engine theory

choweyt3t4
07-10-2002, 03:24 PM
anyone here who has knowledge in engine theory|?no im not takling about more diplacement = horse power im talking about the real shit - i got my aem plug and play it took me about 8 hours to work all the bugs out ,engine was idling perfect ,start up was a little shaky but it still started when i went one the road to tune it it was running rich which is fine better than lean right?then guess what happens - my laptops baterry dies and all the changes i made to make it run is down the tubes...yes i know i should have saved it but its kinda hard when your driving at the same time...now i tried everything to get it back to the same settings but cant figure it out grrrrrrrrr!i just need some help to get the car to idle and start up right then its all downhill from there to the dyno and track!!!!!!:banghead:

legendboy
07-10-2002, 03:34 PM
Shitty deal :thumbsdow , that must be frustrating. I think rage2 can help u out with that if ur just getto tuning it. Tunerworks......

rage2
07-10-2002, 03:51 PM
Shouldn't be too hard. Do you remember roughly what the settings were? Or are you completely lost? Do you remember if you changed fuel or spark settings to get the engine to fire up and idle?

choweyt3t4
07-10-2002, 04:51 PM
to be honest my memory is shot from the trip to edmonton my best friend getting into and accident and only 5 hours of sleep since friday.anyways i think we have to meet up for a couple of hours if you have some time to spare that would be great all i can offer is a bowl of pho ok man???

nookmumracing
07-10-2002, 05:05 PM
Lots of patience and trial and error. a dyno session would be good with a tuner. Have you checked on the prelude board with anybody that has the same setup? I know when Mau went to tune my sisters tech II standalone for her 2.5 RS turbo, he got programs and tuning settings from guys on the Impreza board which worked awesome. I know shops that can really tune it but they are kind of pricey. My buddy got his Eclipse non-turbo with a bolt on turbo kit dynoed which made a strong 199 rwhp at RCTS. Reg is very knowledgable but expensive. I recomend him if you want it done right and can afford it. He is a Toyota guy though so I don't know how knowledgable he would be with a Honda. i'm sure a couple guys on the board can help you out. If you go to www.performance-shop.com and look for Toma, he has a dyno too with a wide band and I think he charges $80/hour. Might be able to help..

Peace
Good Luck

rage2
07-10-2002, 05:05 PM
Where do you live? I might have some time tonight...

choweyt3t4
07-10-2002, 05:36 PM
i

choweyt3t4
07-10-2002, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by nookmumracing
Lots of patience and trial and error. a dyno session would be good with a tuner. Have you checked on the prelude board with anybody that has the same setup? I know when Mau went to tune my sisters tech II standalone for her 2.5 RS turbo, he got programs and tuning settings from guys on the Impreza board which worked awesome. I know shops that can really tune it but they are kind of pricey. My buddy got his Eclipse non-turbo with a bolt on turbo kit dynoed which made a strong 199 rwhp at RCTS. Reg is very knowledgable but expensive. I recomend him if you want it done right and can afford it. He is a Toyota guy though so I don't know how knowledgable he would be with a Honda. i'm sure a couple guys on the board can help you out. If you go to www.performance-shop.com and look for Toma, he has a dyno too with a wide band and I think he charges $80/hour. Might be able to help..

Peace
Good Luck yeah i have been trying other forums but the aem plug and play is just at its infant stages right now so im basically a genuie pig right now.plus all the guys running preludes with the ems right now basically have differnt parts than mine one thing i have learned is that everycar has its unique tune but base maps are pretty good on there.and once when i get the idle and start up figured out dyno session will be a breezze man.changes made to fuel and ignition maps are so easy that a monkey like me can do in a matter of minutes.the ems is the shit thats all i have to say - well until i can get my car to start at least lol

choweyt3t4
07-11-2002, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by rage2
Where do you live? I might have some time tonight... ok i did a little tinkering and the idle is running - a little high but it runs and doesnt want to stall like it did before i posted this.but starting is still a problem - it starts after about 5 to 7 cranks then when it fires up it only idles at 600rpm for about 30 to 45 secs then it starts to climb......went out tongight for a little rip felt good and torquey too :burnout: but i can smell you can smell the gas a mile away and now both my a/f meters are not working properly - the apex turbo timers a/f meter is not working and the autometer one i just dont trust so im in the dark all i can do is listen for detonation and i can hear it sometimes when i go more than 70% throttle - i still have the missing link on and maybe i should take that off cause when i hit about 5 pounds i can hear the engine start to detonate so i let off - at least i think its detonating - does it sound like there is something rattling when it starts??????well thats what my friend whin says when he went for a rip with me.so rage when you gonna be free for a couple hours man???

rage2
07-11-2002, 12:55 AM
Hey, sorry, didn't come home till now. Give me a call tomorrow night, I have some work to do at home, but if your car is drivable, bring it up to my place and we'll tinker with it.