PDA

View Full Version : STi roof rack?

benyl
04-30-2006, 12:41 PM
So I am thinking about getting a road bike. Don't think it will fit in the trunk. Any of you out there have a roof rack that doesn't damage the car?

Thanks

Tuner1
04-30-2006, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by benyl
So I am thinking about getting a road bike. Don't think it will fit in the trunk. Any of you out there have a roof rack that doesn't damage the car?

Thanks

Thule and Yakima both make great roof racks and if you are really worried about the paint you can put a little piece of 3M film under the bases for protection. The other option is a hitch rack which keeps the bike(s) out of the wind and doesn't contact the car's paint.

Hauling bikes is one of the main reasons I bought my FXT instead of an STi :)

I tried fitting one of my MTBs and in a buddy's STi trunk and it would fit but my road bike did fit with the wheels and seatpost out. Some STi guys put their bike in the back seat :eek:

Rob

benyl
04-30-2006, 05:07 PM
You carry either?

Tuner1
04-30-2006, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by benyl
You carry either?

No we don't. In the past I have dealt with Racks Unlimited and they have been very helpful (no affiliation!).

My advice is to get a "fork down" rack. You'll have to carry the front wheel in the trunk but the bikes are much more stable with this type of mounting system. I have tested them on an STi up to 220km/h :D

Rob

mac_82
04-30-2006, 05:25 PM
I have the Subaru OEM rack for my WRX. I have never put it on the car, but I think it will be going on this summer for my bike. I think they are about $150, and the ski or bike mount carriers are extra on that.

tulit
04-30-2006, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Tuner1

I tried fitting one of my MTBs and in a buddy's STi trunk and it would fit but my road bike did fit with the wheels and seatpost out. Some STi guys put their bike in the back seat :eek:

Rob

Haha. I used to have to unbolt my rear seat and "create" a "fold down" rear seat in mine to get it to fit...