PDA

View Full Version : shorter guys being able to lift more

keith303
04-30-2006, 02:57 PM
Its frustrating to me that small more compact guys are able to usually lift free weights easier.

I hate having long arms and being tall, allthough it will be better in the end when my weight catches upto my height. (6'2 185 currently)

Im thinking being tall is a complete disadvantage in the gym.

Theres no real point to this thread, but rather to point that out and to see if anybody else secretly hates those small guys with there short arms pumping weight that you know they couldnt if their arms were 6inches longer
:nut:

JAYMEZ
04-30-2006, 03:13 PM
I personally have no idea what you are talking about lol. Small guys cant lift more unless they have more muscle/strength than you. Maybe you need to get some muscles?

Darkane
04-30-2006, 03:16 PM
Little guys who only have to move the weight 10 inches on the bench. Lol.

shakalaka
04-30-2006, 03:18 PM
How it goes is
Small guys can get built faster/easier compared to taller guys with long arms and stuff.

But the taller built guy looks better then a shorter built guy.

snowboard
04-30-2006, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by shakalaka
How it goes is
Small guys can get built faster/easier compared to taller guys with long arms and stuff.

But the taller built guy looks better then a shorter built guy.

Does that make me pretty cute then?

keith303
04-30-2006, 05:17 PM
personally have no idea what you are talking about lol. Small guys cant lift more unless they have more muscle/strength than you. Maybe you need to get some muscles?

for example a construction backhoe, with a long boom it will have less lifting abilities, be more awkward because its longer and more unstable.

Where one with a short boom will have more stability and less distance to lift, thus making lifting easier and able to lift more.

the princable should be the same for tall vs short people, and from what I can tell in the gym it is.

Maybe you need to get some muscles? I can lift more then most my size, so its not about being jelouse I couldnt lift decent weight.

shakalaka
04-30-2006, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by snowboard

Does that make me pretty cute then?

Sure, whatever you wan't dude.:thumbsup:

liquidboi69
04-30-2006, 06:21 PM
but remember, cuz u have longer arms, u have more muscles then the small guys..... U can't just apply simple logic of a hoe with ur body >_>

keith303
04-30-2006, 06:47 PM
more muscles, but which take longer to develope

JAYMEZ
04-30-2006, 06:53 PM
^^ It depends on your body type .. I can out lift alot of people , and im tall

2.4l
05-01-2006, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by keith303
Its frustrating to me that small more compact guys are able to usually lift free weights easier.

I hate having long arms and being tall, allthough it will be better in the end when my weight catches upto my height. (6'2 185 currently)

Im thinking being tall is a complete disadvantage in the gym.

Theres no real point to this thread, but rather to point that out and to see if anybody else secretly hates those small guys with there short arms pumping weight that you know they couldnt if their arms were 6inches longer
:nut:
what a piss poor excuse..
i should make a thread.. "dont you find frustrated pussys tend to make up excuses??" , that might be almost as smart as your thread:bigpimp:

1-Cent
05-01-2006, 02:09 AM
People with very long arms have a hard time with bench, people with shorter arms seem to have less trouble but top out quicker and can't lift as much at the end of the day... just observation

kaput
05-01-2006, 09:47 AM

89coupe
05-01-2006, 09:55 AM
Are you really concerned with how much you can lift? Get over it...LOL...its not how much you can lift, its how good you look ;)

I would much rather be 6' 2" and 185lbs then 5' 8" and 185lbs. Be thankful that you are tall and lean.

ecstasy_civic
05-01-2006, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by 89coupe
Are you really concerned with how much you can lift? Get over it...LOL...its not how much you can lift, its how good you look ;)

I would much rather be 6' 2" and 185lbs then 5' 8" and 185lbs. Be thankful that you are tall and lean.

Speak for yourself dude, I look and feel great being 5'9 185.
I can usually cut down to 175-177 and I feel skinny! and by no means am I skinny lol

Its all about your OWN perception.

GTS Jeff
05-01-2006, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by kaput
M = F x d Maybe flip that "M" around...

89coupe
05-01-2006, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by ecstasy_civic

I can usually cut down to 175-177 and I feel skinny! and by no means am I skinny lol

LOL...I was speaking for myself.:nut:

ecstasy_civic
05-01-2006, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by 89coupe

LOL...I was speaking for myself.:nut:

Then telling someone to be thankful their tall and lean comes from....:dunno:

heavyD
05-01-2006, 10:27 AM
Ha Ha. I think some gus in the gym think like that working out necxt to me. I curl 60lb dumbells for reps and am only 5'8" tall. I see lots of guys far bigger than me struggle with that weight, arching their backs, etc. There is merit to shorter arms being able to lift more but some people are just naturally stronger than others regardless of size. Another part of it is technique since day one I never arched my back to swing the weight up. If you make your arms do the work at the lower weights you will built more strength in your arms that will help you when you go up to higher weights. If you are arching your back curling heavier weights, go down in weight.

The size thing can go both ways though. I see tall guys that are very strong as some of the strongest guys are over 6' and short stalky guys that aren't as strong as they look physically.

89coupe
05-01-2006, 10:29 AM

Then telling someone to be thankful their tall and lean comes from....:dunno:

Comes from my opinion that tall and lean is better then short and bulky...LOL :dunno:

heavyD
05-01-2006, 10:32 AM

Yeah. I'm 5'8", 188 lbs and have nice proportion. I even look relatively skinny because I have narrow shoulders & hips. I do agree that tall guys that put on large mass do look better though because they cast a more imposing shadow.

shawtie
05-01-2006, 10:34 AM
PICS??:D

BigMass
05-01-2006, 10:35 AM
short stalky guys have a smaller ROM on their static lifts therefore have an advantage over taller guys. Its not a big deal, because taller guys have an advantage in more dynamic real world stuff due to leverage. Thats why if youre under 6'0" its almost impossible to win in Strong Man due to the dynamic events. So its a give an take. Focus on your strengths, not on something you can't control like your height.

Big guys can still be good at something like Bench. Build your chest and your gut so your ROM becomes much smaller. Arnold could never out lift Franco due to the height and ROM, but who won out in the end? hehe

D. Dub
05-01-2006, 04:29 PM
exactly its just simple physics---gravity acting on mass

people with longer arms have to move a given weight over a longer distance than someone with shorter arms in the push movement exercises like bench or shoulder presses.

three.eighteen.
05-01-2006, 07:58 PM
not this short guy...i've been struggling with benching my own weight forever, and the worst part is i keep gaining weight :rofl:

Hakkola
05-01-2006, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.
not this short guy...i've been struggling with benching my own weight forever, and the worst part is i keep gaining weight :rofl:

How much do you weigh dude? Just last week I caught up and passed my weight on the bench press. It's a good feeling. :thumbsup:

kane584
05-09-2006, 05:58 PM
when you mean short, what do you mean , like a 5"3 male ?

topmade
05-09-2006, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.

Maybe try lowering the weight and just suck it up that you can't do your own weight yet. It's okay to admire others, but don't compare yourself, the short guy could have some good genetics, and perhaps you don't. He could also of been working out for 10 years? who knows. I'm not saying that you don't know how to work out, but everyone is different with different body types. But for sure, if you work out properly with the right diet you will eventually be able to do your own body weight.