PDA

View Full Version : :mad: Xbox Problems

Vypros
04-30-2006, 05:33 PM
Even if I try to play a brand new game on this xbox, it still says the damn disc is dirty. I'm getting tired of this piece of junk hanging up on me! Anybody here in calgary able to fix this thing cheap?

eblend
04-30-2006, 06:19 PM
u prolly got the old one that had the thomson optical drive in it that is prone to failing. I don't know of anyone who would fix it in town but it easily repairable yourself you just need to obtain a replacement drive (ebay)

Vypros
04-30-2006, 06:50 PM
I remember paying a guy from beyond 20 bucks to fix it but the problem came back about 2 days later :(

hedge
04-30-2006, 06:54 PM
I've had some luck with just taking it apart and cleaning the glass. You can also do a pot tweak, but that just accellerates a full-on failure.

the best solution as said above is to replace it.

mushi_mushi
04-30-2006, 07:28 PM
Yeah your DVD drive is failing, like mentioned you will need to find a xbox dvd drive online. There are different xbox dvd drive manufactures, some perform better then others and cost more.

The cheapest xbox drive (thompson) can be had for 20-30CAD, the more expensive (samsung) performs alot better but costs about 60 CAD (prices do not include shipping)...

You can also get dvd drives which were intended for PC use but have been modified to work in an xbox (LG drive or samsung 616) for around 60 CAD (shipping not included)...

The procedure to replace the xbox dvd drive is very easy, it is very simular to replaceing a PC drive. Instructions on how to do this are available online. You will need several torx screw drivers and 5 minutes to replace the actual drive.

This has been discussed in the past serveral times, but the gyst is the same, the only way to fix the problem is to replace the drive.

Vypros
04-30-2006, 07:38 PM
Thanks guys.

Bill Cosby
05-01-2006, 04:24 PM
just a dvd cleaning disc

or open it and wipe the lens

heavyD
05-02-2006, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by mushi_mushi
The cheapest xbox drive (thompson) can be had for 20-30CAD, the more expensive (samsung) performs alot better but costs about 60 CAD (prices do not include shipping)...

Don't get the Thompson. It's garbage. If you get a year out of a Thompson consider yourself lucky.