PDA

View Full Version : Buy Brand New S2000 From States??

sl888
05-01-2006, 02:24 AM
I'm thinking about getting an S2000
US MSRP is around $34,000 ---> $38,000 CAD
CAD MSRP is already about $50,000
Getting one is in the states is about $10,000 less already
I'm just wondering if anyone has ever bought a brand new car and brought it back to Canada
I know of the procedure in jaymez' sticky but what else, if any, would there be for a brand new car?
Will it be worth it in the end?
Also any ups and/or downs of buying a new car in the states rather than buying one here?
I've searched but couldn't get enough info so any help would be great
Thanks

max_boost
05-01-2006, 02:36 AM
$10k is worth it.

Only negative I can think of is that Honda Canada will not warranty an American car. If you are an American moving to Canada or travelling in Canada and your car needs repairs, then Honda Canada will cover it. I don't see the S2000 having very many issues anyway.

I thought about doing the same thing for my SLK but 1. I don't have time. 2. Savings was probably around $5k only. 3. I found an immediate allocation, so why bother.

Aleks
05-01-2006, 07:12 AM
^
I know that Subaru of America and Subaru of Canada warranties are interchangeable. If you push hard enough I am sure you could get them to agree to the same with honda? :dunno:

95EagleAWD
05-01-2006, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Aleks
^
I know that Subaru of America and Subaru of Canada warranties are interchangeable. If you push hard enough I am sure you could get them to agree to the same with honda? :dunno:

Might be something to call and actually ask about.

4doorj
05-01-2006, 08:25 AM
are you planning on getting one right away?
cause if you get one in the fall honda usually gives the dealerships some room to play with... i beleive you can get like 5 g off... and if they still dont sell they well go for less
fall is the best time to buy an s2000.... but of course then you have to wait till next year unless you plan on winter driving it

Xtrema
05-01-2006, 08:31 AM
Honda has never honoured warranty with US bought vehicles. I'm not sure what exception there are.

But think of it this way, $10K will buy you a lot of repairs.

riceeater
05-01-2006, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Honda has never honoured warranty with US bought vehicles. I'm not sure what exception there are.

But think of it this way, $10K will buy you a lot of repairs.

same here, i bought my srt4 from the states and saved a shitload of money, but then got slammed with no warranty from Chrysler; they said they specifically DONT honor warranties to prevent cross boarder shopping... you can still BUY the warranty from the dealer once you get back, so if you wanna spend 2000-3500 bux when you get back, that IS still an option...

like someone already said, if you're saving a shitload of money then that's already gonna buy you a crapload of repairs, PLUS you can start modding your car without worrying that the pricks at the dealer will void your shit

i didnt find James's import guide THAT usefull...

for a new car, in short:

-buy car and have Title IN HAND! untill you have the title, you cant do shit... if you buy the car used, expect a couple weeks until the bank releases the lease and sends it to you
-once you have title, photocopy it, and send it down to the boarder along with a bill of sale, and the export forms.... give them 3 days, but if you send your stuff early in the morning your car will likely clear by that night...
-go to the boarder ( if you need time, you can leave the car at a motel right by the boarder, for $5/day, assuming you go through Coutts)
-MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE, THAT YOU HAVE A CLEAR FORSALE ADD OR A CLEAR PIECE OF PAPER WHERE IT SHOWS HOW MUCH YOU PAID FOR THE CAR IN FULL!!!!!! private bill of sale is USELESS, you need the forsale add, a bank statement, or something showing without a doubt how much you paid for the car.
-they will bust out the nightstick and start cornholling you if you dont, so save yourself the hassle... i crossed late at night and since the value i claimed was about black book value the guy EVENTUALLY decided to let me go... you need this for the GST that you have to pay ON THE SPOT, at the border
-you're done...
-now you need to have DRLs installed, and can go anywhere to get your out of province done
-make sure you send the $209 to the RIV as soon as you can, though i was a month late and didnt have to pay any extra fees
-once you have your out of province done, you can go to the AMA and ask for registration... they are idiots, i got my car registered before paying the RIV fee or even having done the out of country inspection
-for the out of country you need a letter from the manufacturer claming that ALL RECALLS WERE PERFORMED, then you can go to crappy tire (only they are authorized) and get your out of country done too
-DONE. i brought my car in in february and still dont have my out of country done, and they havent hassled me at all... looks like once you pay them the $209 they completely stop giving a shit :P

rage2
05-01-2006, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
There are no exceptions. Even if you moved from US to Canada, you lose your warranty when moving your US Honda vehicle over here. You can drive to Montana for service/warranty though.

max_boost
05-01-2006, 08:35 PM
Not to mention there are always deals when you purchase from US dealers. There are rebeates everywhere and even the limited edition cars you can get a few grand off! I read on MBWorld that guys were getting their SLK55's for slightly over list! OMG haha Here you get the shaft, maybe $500 MAX. In my case, it was take it or leave it. I know I sound cheap but every man likes a great deal.

sl888
05-01-2006, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by 4doorj
are you planning on getting one right away?
cause if you get one in the fall honda usually gives the dealerships some room to play with... i beleive you can get like 5 g off... and if they still dont sell they well go for less
fall is the best time to buy an s2000.... but of course then you have to wait till next year unless you plan on winter driving it
Not really sure when I'll get it as I have to get rid of my car and gotta find some time to go get everything done
Do you drive your S in the winter? How is it if you do?

sl888
05-01-2006, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by riceeater

you can still BUY the warranty from the dealer once you get back, so if you wanna spend 2000-3500 bux when you get back, that IS still an option...

that might be something i might do cause its nice to have warranty cause you know know what will come up

well thanks everyone for the infos
hopefully everything works out

4doorj
05-01-2006, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by sl888

Not really sure when I'll get it as I have to get rid of my car and gotta find some time to go get everything done
Do you drive your S in the winter? How is it if you do?

yeah i winter drive it!
i drive it pretty much every day of the year!!!
all u need is good winter tires.... take back roads if the roads are like ice rinks... and u should be good!

RiceCake
05-02-2006, 03:01 AM
So tempting to buy a car from the states... New or old, cars seem a lot cheaper, that and with a strong Canadian dollar, DAMN!:)

sl888
05-02-2006, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by riceeater

same here, i bought my srt4 from the states and saved a shitload of money
hey where exactly in the states did you buy your car from?
did you drive it back yourself or do an out of state delivery?