PDA

View Full Version : Credit Cards

TimG
05-01-2006, 09:56 AM
I'm shopping for a new CC.

Currently I have a Gm Visa card and I don't see myself ever purchasing a GM vehicle, so i figured I might as well look for a card that has some kind of reward program that I will actually use.

Interest rates don't both me because I don't carry a balance on my CC and the card must have no annual fees.

I was thinking about the Amex airmiles card, but amex isn't as widely accepted as MC and VISA.

Any suggestions? Maybe something with a cashback plan?

MIWYFSHOTTER
05-01-2006, 10:04 AM
I would suggest a gas card so like Petro or something! 5 cent per litre off!

joyridder
05-01-2006, 10:04 AM
what about Mosaik MC from BOM? It has airmiles...

aram1000
05-01-2006, 10:15 AM
i got the Aero Classic Visa from CIBC, it does have an annual fee, but its $30, so not bad, get 2 aeroplan miles for every dollar you spend, i figure since i do fly often that the miles will pay off for a free trip, its not a bad card, dividend cards are also pretty good too, the CIBC Visa dividend card has no annual fee and you get a credit on your card once a year based on how much u spent on your card durring the year, which is pretty nice reward as well

Moonracer
05-01-2006, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by joyridder

:werd: I use this one quite often. Bring on the trip to vegas!

rony_espana
05-01-2006, 10:27 AM
Don't get AMEX, can't use it anywhere and the interest is slightly higher than MC and VISA I believe. I actually got rid of my AMEX, because I could never use it.

clem24
05-01-2006, 10:43 AM
If you shop at the Superstore, try the PC Mastercard. It's 1% back that you can spend at Superstore. No fees. I've had the card for gawd knows how long (probably 10 years at least), and I've cashed in about $1,300 (just checked my account). Of course, this was when they were more generous with points (ie. free points for signing up direct pay, free points for bill payments, etc.. all of which are gone now).

Their customer service has been very good too. One time I had $1300 charged to the card, from an unkown source. It was taken off within a day. The only problem I encountered was when I was in Hong Kong - transactions wouldn't go through b/c the fraud system had kicked in. A phone call fixed the problem though.

sputnik
05-01-2006, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by joyridder

:werd:

If you fly a lot the Mosiak gold card is great. All continental westjet flights end up being under 1500 airmiles and some are around 800 airmiles return (wpg to cgy). I generally earn around 1500-2000 airmiles per year. So its not a bad return.

Xtrema
05-01-2006, 10:51 AM
PC Mastercard if you shop @ superstore

AMEX Airmiles if paid on time and like to collect air miles

CIBC 1% cash back MC is also good choice but has a bit more hassle over the 2 above.

Any reward program that charges annual fee is not worth it unless you are running a business thru that card. Personal spending doesn't justify fees nor you have enough transactions amount that take advantage of the return.

kiwi
05-01-2006, 11:04 AM
I'm using Mosaik Mastercard. It has 0.5% cashback... very easy to apply Just do it online!

benyl
05-01-2006, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Any reward program that charges annual fee is not worth it unless you are running a business thru that card. Personal spending doesn't justify fees nor you have enough transactions amount that take advantage of the return.

I dunno about that. Some people like me put every transaction possible through cards to get points.

$25,000 on a CIBC aerogold = 25,000 points = up to an $800 flight from Air Canada (continental US and Canada) vs. the $120 fee. Not a bad deal if you ask me.

TimG
05-01-2006, 11:31 AM
Anyone using the Canadian Tire mastercard?

kaput
05-01-2006, 11:59 AM

Xtrema
05-01-2006, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by benyl

I dunno about that. Some people like me put every transaction possible through cards to get points.

$25,000 on a CIBC aerogold = 25,000 points = up to an $800 flight from Air Canada (continental US and Canada) vs. the $120 fee. Not a bad deal if you ask me.

That's not bad, slightly above 2% return which most paid reward usually do.

jer82
05-01-2006, 01:05 PM
I too have the mosaik mastercard if you collect Airmiles then its worth it, between that and shopping at safeway I have collected over 10,000 air miles in less then a year.

sabad66
05-01-2006, 01:08 PM
I have the BMO Gold Mosaik, and it's a 70 dollar/year annual fee, but they sent me a coupon that gives me up to 5.85 per month in banking fee credits so I don't have to pay a monthly fee for banking. But now that I think about it, I rarely pay for the fee anyways since i keep the balance above a certain amount...

sputnik
05-01-2006, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by jer82
I too have the mosaik mastercard if you collect Airmiles then its worth it, between that and shopping at safeway I have collected over 10,000 air miles in less then a year.

10,000 airmiles per year? How do you get that many air miles?

Thats the equivalent of spending $75,000 on your credit card (while shopping at an air miles sponsor).

jer82
05-01-2006, 01:21 PM
Like I said in my post that is a combination between buying groceries at safeway and using the mosaik mastercard. I also have the 1/15$ at $70/yr. At safeway there are a lot of bonus offers (spend $200 and get 200 bonus air miles) as well as buy 8 of such and such a product and get bonus 100 etc. keep doing those and you will collect fast. I do however have 150 rolls of toilet paper and 15 spare tubes of toothpaste but I have enough airmiles to buy a 1 week all inclusive trip somewhere.. I just need a few thousand more and I can take my gf with me!

Payner
05-01-2006, 01:32 PM
Go ATB Finacial Gold program good cash back program

TimG
05-03-2006, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by rony_espana
Don't get AMEX, can't use it anywhere and the interest is slightly higher than MC and VISA I believe. I actually got rid of my AMEX, because I could never use it.

Can you give me some examples of places that don't take amex? The only place that comes to mind is the superstore.

And like I said, I don't carry a balance on my CC, so their higher interest rate means nothing to me.

rc2002
05-03-2006, 11:07 AM
Dividends Visa FTW. I got $500 cash back last year. :)

kane584
05-03-2006, 11:23 AM
i just turned 18, i already applied or the td green card and got rejected , so i applied for the Pc mastercard casue it think anybody can get accepted,
does anybody know a company that accepts ppl with no credit history ? like as a first time credit card

89coupe
05-03-2006, 11:24 AM
I have a TD Travel Gold Visa. Its great, you can use the points collected for Hotels, Car rentals, Flights even Cruises and Trains. There are no blackouts or windows. You can use them anytime you want.

That and the regular benefits of a Gold card.

jer82
05-03-2006, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by kane584
i just turned 18, i already applied or the td green card and got rejected , so i applied for the Pc mastercard casue it think anybody can get accepted,
does anybody know a company that accepts ppl with no credit history ? like as a first time credit card

I got my mosaik when I was 18 with no job. Also try capital one, there are also student visa's and stuff available

Xtrema
05-03-2006, 11:32 AM

Don't try PC Mastercard. They are anal on approvals, you need a good credit. If you got rejected by TD, chances you get approved by PC is low.

Try student visa cards with low limit like $500. As long as you manage it well, it's a good start.

Mckenzie
05-03-2006, 11:33 AM
I've got:

TD Green Visa
TD Venture Visa Line of Credit
MBNA Premeir Rewards Mastercard
BMO Gold Mastercard
Capital One Mastercard

So far the BMO card is the best. It has a $70 annual fee but the redemption is pretty good @ 1 airmile/15 spent. The other cards I'm simply using as loan and interest swap instruments for their promotioal rates. Their perks suck...

I'm considering the CIBC Aeroplan gold visa. I think they have 1 point per dollar spent. Can anyone confirm?

~Leah~
05-03-2006, 11:54 AM
I've got an American Express but I stopped using it because basically if you use it, you get charged a monthly fee, plus interest, plus annual fee... it's f'n stupid. Say no to AMEX

I also have a BMO Mosaik MC and it's treated me well. Got approved no problem and you get cashback and Airmiles and there is no annual fee for it (unless you choose to earn more Airmiles, lots of options when building this card).

kane584
05-03-2006, 11:55 AM

Don't try PC Mastercard. They are anal on approvals, you need a good credit. If you got rejected by TD, chances you get approved by PC is low.

Try student visa cards with low limit like $500. As long as you manage it well, it's a good start.

where would i go to get a student visa ?

jer82
05-03-2006, 12:12 PM
I think most banks have student visas just tell them you are a student looking for a card, I also believe that most secondary schools (SAIT, UofA) have applications in there customer service area and sometimes even just around in holders on campus.

Xtrema
05-03-2006, 12:17 PM

where would i go to get a student visa ?

They usually have booth around campus (but I guess now that school is out, you won't see them anymore).

http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/tdvisa/student.jsp

But I guess you got denied on Green. Are you a post secondary student or have a student loan?

TimG
05-03-2006, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by ~Leah~
I've got an American Express but I stopped using it because basically if you use it, you get charged a monthly fee, plus interest, plus annual fee... it's f'n stupid. Say no to AMEX

Monthly fees? The cards i looked at said no annual fee, and you are only charged interest if you carry a balance.

Xtrema
05-03-2006, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by TimG
Monthly fees? The cards i looked at said no annual fee, and you are only charged interest if you carry a balance.

AMEX is hurting if you carry a balance, even if it's $0.01. Learn that when I paid xx.34 instead of xx.43 on the bill (typo). That 9 cent difference costed me $10 in interests and fees.

Needless to say, I took my business to PC mastercard now.

kane584
05-03-2006, 12:25 PM
im still in high school, last year

~Leah~
05-03-2006, 12:25 PM
I was charged like $5-7/mth if I happened to use the card that month. It was ridiculous, I never carried a balance on it, but just because I used it, I was charged. It was a fee that no one ever told me about...

~Leah~
05-03-2006, 12:26 PM

AMEX is hurting if you carry a balance, even if it's $0.01.
Precisely... my balance was $0.02 one month for some reason and ended up getting charged this "access fee" .... f'n STUPID.

Xtrema
05-03-2006, 12:27 PM
im still in high school, last year

That's why you got rejected. Once your start post secondary education, you'll have more 'credit' to get a card.

Altezza
05-03-2006, 12:29 PM
I usually use my CIBC Dividends Platinum card. 2% cash back every December. Nothing beats cash.

BebeAphrodite
05-03-2006, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

:werd:

If you fly a lot the Mosiak gold card is great. All continental westjet flights end up being under 1500 airmiles and some are around 800 airmiles return (wpg to cgy). I generally earn around 1500-2000 airmiles per year. So its not a bad return.

The highest redemption is 1600 but it's for peak seasons, if you go during off peak, it's 1400 for the same places.

I hope they go to Hawaii soon.

10,000 is insane!

Thats the equivalent of spending $75,000 on your credit card (while shopping at an air miles sponsor).

Actually if he has the mosaik gold mc, 10,000 airmiles (spent on card alone) is 150,000 (1 airmile=15 dollars). Which makes getting 10,000 points even harder.

Like I said in my post that is a combination between buying groceries at safeway and using the mosaik mastercard. I also have the 1/15$ at $70/yr. At safeway there are a lot of bonus offers (spend $200 and get 200 bonus air miles) as well as buy 8 of such and such a product and get bonus 100 etc. keep doing those and you will collect fast. I do however have 150 rolls of toilet paper and 15 spare tubes of toothpaste but I have enough airmiles to buy a 1 week all inclusive trip somewhere.. I just need a few thousand more and I can take my gf with me!

Mmm.. do they have the spend $200 get 200 air miles often?

Can you give me some examples of places that don't take amex? The only place that comes to mind is the superstore.

And like I said, I don't carry a balance on my CC, so their higher interest rate means nothing to me.

Tons of places never take Amex. I like shopping on my Amex card because my limit is so high on it and I don't have to pay off the balance several times a month just to keep charging on it but I'd say like 20-30% of places don't take it. I can't seem to think of anything off the top of my head but with the Amex I always have to ask before hand if they will take it or not because I'm never that sure.

Originally posted by Mckenzie

I'm considering the CIBC Aeroplan gold visa. I think they have 1 point per dollar spent. Can anyone confirm?

Yes, the 1 point=1 dollar is true, it's just that it's not redeemed the same way the gold mc is redeemed. :)

gp36912
05-03-2006, 12:55 PM
i have mosiak from bmo, and the canadian tire one. ones cashback other one is canadian tire money, and with the canadian tire card, if you pay at one of their stores you get double points back. which means you can get all the stuff you need for nothing. i bought a pressure washer for nothing from them, alot of waxing stuff, a few replacement bulbs for my car. etc.

jer82
05-03-2006, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by BebeAphrodite

Mmm.. do they have the spend $200 get 200 air miles often?

Um usually once a month or so, they are usually in the herald as a cut out coupon, also some stores post the ads at the front of the store so that you will know. I think it was last week that the TransCanada Safeway (52nd st &16) had a spend 200 get 300 bonus air miles. I think these are location dependant sometimes but if you look in your flyer there are lots of ways to get bonus air miles. Also if your interested in know the first Tuesday of every month is %10 off or 10X the air miles, yesterday I went shopping spent $170 and that works out to 9 air miles normally but I got 90 just cause of the day I went on. I also bought some chips and dip and got another 40 air miles. I have gotten over 600 air miles in one trip before just because of the day I went and the brand I bought.

rony_espana
05-03-2006, 01:32 PM

Lots of restaurants don't take them, I go to chinese and vietnamese places a lot and I don't think I was ever able to pay with it.

Also I have a Canadian Tire M/C, I thought it was great ( I don't use it anymore), if you always fill up there you gets tons of CT money or whatever and it really adds up. I think I made atleast $100 in CT money every 2-3 month!

rockym20
05-03-2006, 01:41 PM
I use a CitiBank Drivers Edge Platinum Mastercard. It gives you 2% cashback (however, you can only access this when you purchase a vehicle), and a bunch of extras like car rental insurance, price protection, automatic extended warranty, and other stuff. Best of all, no fees!

89coupe
05-03-2006, 01:58 PM

I collected 89,000 TD Travel points in one year, last year...haha. Spent them on my Vegas trip.

I've already accumulated 25,000 points this year.:bigpimp:

Lilac Wine
05-03-2006, 02:08 PM
I got my first credit card through my bank.
I am in Kamloops and I got an Interior Savings Mastercard.
I was working at the time but not even full time! I think I lied a bit.

Mckenzie
05-03-2006, 03:38 PM

Yes, the 1 point=1 dollar is true, it's just that it's not redeemed the same way the gold mc is redeemed. :)

Yeah I think they are like 16000 plus for a flight. Not really sure which one is better. (BMO MC vs. CIBC MC)

max_boost
05-03-2006, 04:25 PM
Credit cards got me into so much trouble 5 years ago. I had a BMO Air Miles Mastercard, Capital One Mastercard, Two AMEX Platinum Credit Cards, AMEX Gold Air Miles, National Bank Mastercard, The Bay Card, CIBC Student Visa, SoundsAround Card and I think that's it. All at the same time, all maxed out, took me a couple years to pay it off. After it was paid off, I canceled them all. I was so scarred so the only card I have right now is a RBC Visa Gold under my dad's name which I got when I was 18 (which lead to me getting all of the above). The one major benefit I got from all that was, my credit got built up.:D :rofl: :rofl:

Anyway, is the PC Mastercard hard to get? My GF has limited credit, applied for one but haven't heard back in a couple months. She did have a TD Student Visa but I used it for online Poker and TD canceled her card a few days later. :D:dunno:

Makariri
05-05-2006, 12:02 AM
Citibank has a Driver's Edge Mastercard - no fee, and I get 2% of all my purchases towards any new or used vehicle purchase. Send in the bill of sale for your car/truck/motorbike, and they send you a cheque (whether you're buying privately or from a dealer).

Best deal I've found, bar none, as you get a 2% return for no fee. I tend to buy and sell vehicles on a regular basis (I'm a car nut that gets bored quickly), so this one is perfect for me. In the last 18 months or so I've received over $1,000 cash from them.

rony_espana
05-05-2006, 06:44 AM
Anyway, is the PC Mastercard hard to get? My GF has limited credit, applied for one but haven't heard back in a couple months. She did have a TD Student Visa but I used it for online Poker and TD canceled her card a few days later. :D:dunno:

I think this is one of the easiest credit cards to get, I got mine when I was only 18-19 and had no credit except for a joint account with my brother. I had applied for many and this was the first one that I was approved on. The credit limit starts kinda low though, I think they gave me like $3500 limit. Out of all the credit cards I have ever owned (about 5-6) this one has had the lowest monthly payments and lowest interest. This is the only credit card that remains in my wallet for emergencies, I threw the rest away; once they were paid off of course ;)

Ajay
05-06-2006, 12:07 PM
I've got;

American Express Gold Card - Allows for 'Front of the Line' access to tickets which are hard to find.
Capital One Gold Mastercard - Only paying 11% interest on this card.
MBNA Platinum Mastercard - Only paying 9% interest on this card.
CIBC Aerogold Visa - $130/yr annual fee but allows me to collect airmiles that can be used for flights, hotels, or even merchandise.

Out of all the cards I have it would be smart to use my low interest cards but really the only one I use is my Aerogold because of the reward miles.

FiveFreshFish
05-06-2006, 01:43 PM

AMEX is hurting if you carry a balance, even if it's $0.01. Learn that when I paid xx.34 instead of xx.43 on the bill (typo). That 9 cent difference costed me $10 in interests and fees.

You should have just called customer service. They will reverse the interest charges for those types of errors.

ANY credit card will hit you for interest if a balance is carried over, not just Amex.

Ajay
05-06-2006, 02:11 PM
Yah any credit card company will hit you up on interest for remaining balances but Amex is different than most credit card companies.

Amex isn't a revolving credit scheme like Visa or Mastercard. Amex is essentially a charge card which has to be paid off in full each and every single month. If you carry a balance with Amex at the end of the month they charge you about 30% in interest charges. I never use my Amex for this reason but it's nice to have cause it essentially has no limit and I like the Front of the Line perks I get with it.

BebeAphrodite
05-06-2006, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Ajay

Amex isn't a revolving credit scheme like Visa or Mastercard. Amex is essentially a charge card which has to be paid off in full each and every single month. If you carry a balance with Amex at the end of the month they charge you about 30% in interest charges. I never use my Amex for this reason but it's nice to have cause it essentially has no limit and I like the Front of the Line perks I get with it.

Only some Amex are like that, my Amex is a revolving credit one, they sent me a sheet saying I was preapproved for a platinum charge card but the yearly fee was like $350 or something stupid...

dino_martini
05-07-2006, 02:20 PM
Scotia bank has a cash back visa card. 1%. Its pretty good. My parents have that new Avalon visa card or what ever, with the stupid commercials about people missing the running of the bulls because of black out dates and stuff. Its worth it.

black_2.5RS
05-07-2006, 05:59 PM
Check this link out. Dude did a very detailed review of about 10-20 canadian credit cards.

http://web.ncf.ca/be960/reviews/creditcard.html

Hakkola
05-09-2006, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the link man :thumbsup:

dips87
05-28-2006, 05:24 PM
What the easy way to get a CC..online or at the bank? as well as what is the min annual income you need to get a card and should u lie alittle to make it (like if you only workin for the summer should u say all 12 months to make annual?)...i applied online with cibc to get the dividend card and i make around 2000/month so i'll see how that goes.

Whats order cards would be good with no credit i could try:
(i'm not a student)

BMO mosiak?
CICB classic?

Dren
05-28-2006, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by black_2.5RS
Check this link out. Dude did a very detailed review of about 10-20 canadian credit cards.

Great Link.

koopkoop2
05-29-2006, 02:40 AM

The previous posters have greatly exaggerated the places that don't take this card. Do what I do:

Get the Mosaik Master card for 1 airmile / $40 and get the AMEX for 1 airmile /$20. Always carry both and always use the AMEX first. If it's not accepted, than fall back on the Mosaik.

Once you start using it, you'll find the AMEX is accepted at a lot more places than the people on here make it sound like.

~Leah~
05-29-2006, 08:41 AM
It's not necessarily the lack of places that take it, so much as the insane monthly fees you are charged just for using it.

koopkoop2
05-29-2006, 05:38 PM
It's not necessarily the lack of places that take it, so much as the insane monthly fees you are charged just for using it.

What fees are these? I don't pay any fees on mine. I'm talking about the Amex Air Miles credit card - what're you talking about?

Here's the card's link. Where are the monthly fees?:
http://www10.americanexpress.com/sif/cda/page/0,1641,13397,00.asp

HRD2PLZ
05-29-2006, 08:09 PM
My first card when I was 18 was my CIBC Dividend Card. I think I was started off with a $1,000 credit limit. My best advice for credit cards is to watch what you spend, make sure you have the money to pay it off when the bill comes in. I never carry a balance on my credit cards, the interest is just way too high, not worth it!

TimG
05-30-2006, 08:17 AM
I ended up getting the Canadian Tire Options Mastercard.

can't go wrong with free CT stuff :thumbsup:

GQBalla
05-31-2006, 11:53 AM
can anybody recommend a decent dredit card with world points or something i could use to claim airplane tickets???

something with a low annual fee.

HybridTheory
05-31-2006, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by black_2.5RS

Awesome link, very good review.

On a side note: do any Canadian banks make a debit card that gives you rewards?

HRD2PLZ
05-31-2006, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
can anybody recommend a decent dredit card with world points or something i could use to claim airplane tickets???

something with a low annual fee.

I have the RBC Platinum Avion card. Right now they are offering 10,000 bonus points and waive the annual fee ($120).

Khyron
05-31-2006, 03:46 PM
Dividend cards are usually less than you think because of the ranges.

So for the CIBC Plat:

Tier one - 0.5% rebate on your first $3,000 in annual net purchases
Tier two - 1% rebate on your next $12,000 in annual net purchases (Between $3,000 and $15,000)
Tier three - 1.5% rebate on your next $20,000 in annual net purchases (Between $15,000 and $35,000)
Tier four - 2% rebate on your next $15,000 in annual net purchases (Between $35,000 and $50,000)

Even if you do somehow charge 50 grand a year, you're averaging around 1.75%. But most will be in the 1% range. And you have to offset your savings with the fees.

Best for me is PC Mastercard, and I don't shop at superstore.

Convert all PC points to Petro points. (I gas up 1 of my cars at Petro). Convert all Petro to Sears. Then you get double the money in Sears gift cards (if you wait for the highest reward).

This bought me a nice Washer/Dryer, a good chunk of my TV and I have another 600 coming in a few weeks. Totally sweet and all conversions are online.

PS: I think I win.

Khyron

QuasarCav
05-31-2006, 03:49 PM

WTF???

Why did you go with a 25%+ Interest card?

Free, hahahhahaha.

rockym20
05-31-2006, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav

WTF???

Why did you go with a 25%+ Interest card?

Free, hahahhahaha.

Its only 25% if you maintain a balance...

TimG
05-31-2006, 04:48 PM
i dunno where you get 25% from. the info on the web site and in the printed contract say 18.5%.

and like i said in my original post: i don't keep a balance.

Dren
05-31-2006, 05:54 PM
Ya i think Canadian tire has much less than 25 % interest

just if u have the money..payy it off

Dren
05-31-2006, 05:54 PM

True...They have a good card if you spend a lot at Canadian tire. 1.8% back in Cdn Tire money...and its not to bad when you buy gas there too.

I also got this card. 2 months...24 bucks in cdn tire money...not too bad i think...i used to have a "Classic" Card.. so got notin before

Ben
05-31-2006, 11:14 PM
i dunno where you get 25% from. the info on the web site and in the printed contract say 18.5%.

and like i said in my original post: i don't keep a balance.

Thats the key!

Pay for EVERYTHING on the card every month and then pay it off, after doing that for a little while, with no late payments, you'll have all the credit you'll ever need.

nonsane
06-01-2006, 08:23 AM
I just use a Low interest card(10.5%) with no rewards(because sometimes i do carry a balance and it was cheaper this way than to get a loan from the bank(bank wanted 19%)

OR you could just use my credit card instead.
Here the number is 4514 1610 912 1249

Pay me back on monday, okay?

abyss
06-01-2006, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Khyron
Dividend cards are usually less than you think because of the ranges.

So for the CIBC Plat:

Even if you do somehow charge 50 grand a year, you're averaging around 1.75%. But most will be in the 1% range. And you have to offset your savings with the fees.

Best for me is PC Mastercard, and I don't shop at superstore.

Convert all PC points to Petro points. (I gas up 1 of my cars at Petro). Convert all Petro to Sears. Then you get double the money in Sears gift cards (if you wait for the highest reward).

This bought me a nice Washer/Dryer, a good chunk of my TV and I have another 600 coming in a few weeks. Totally sweet and all conversions are online.

PS: I think I win.

Khyron

That's exactly what I do to, convert PC points and Petro Points to Sears Points. The only problem is it takes FOREVER to get it all done. If you're not in a hurry it's great! It took me just about a month to get the G.C in my hands the last time I did it.

Rav4Guy
06-01-2006, 09:03 AM
^^ LOL at posting a CC number????

GQBalla
06-01-2006, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by nonsane
I just use a Low interest card(10.5%) with no rewards(because sometimes i do carry a balance and it was cheaper this way than to get a loan from the bank(bank wanted 19%)

OR you could just use my credit card instead.
Here the number is 4514 1610 912 1249

Pay me back on monday, okay?

your missing a number and expiry date.

oh btw can i get the last 3 digits on the number near your signature?

does anyone currently have a credit card that offeres world points???

im thinking about applyin for the star choice mastercard.

dips87
06-05-2006, 08:22 PM
so i didnt get the dividends CC... so does anyone esle know of any good card to get with no credit and i've only been working for 4 weeks making around 1500/month?? i'm 18 almost 19 in 7 days

should i go into the bank i'm currently at with a parent and apply for one that why cuz doing it online its not working?

GQBalla
06-05-2006, 08:36 PM
anyone have a mbna card with world points???

nonsane
06-06-2006, 09:36 AM
For a first card(Like mine: 4514 1610 9121 1249 :P) It's best to get someone to cosign to be approved. After about 3-4 months I applied for another card and put a rediculously high limit to see what would happen and they gave it to me. :P

If you can't get someone to cosign you'll need to talk to the bank and get one that you pay 500$ that has a 500$ limit(yes it sucks to pay interest on your own money, but it'll get you credit) and wait a few months and apply for a different one of a different brand(Don't apply too much though because each application is a negative to your credit report)

Oh if only my credit card did not expire on the 6th month of 2008.

BebeAphrodite
06-06-2006, 11:05 AM
For a first card(Like mine: 4514 1610 9121 1249 :P) It's best to get someone to cosign to be approved. After about 3-4 months I applied for another card and put a rediculously high limit to see what would happen and they gave it to me. :P

I was under the impression that when you get a "cosigner", they are the primary account holder and the CC goes under their name and affects their credit. It should do nothing to build the secondary account holder's credit since everything is held against the primary holder.
That's why when children get CCs as secondary holders, when they turn of age, they still have no credit even though they have had CCs for some time.

gp36912
06-06-2006, 07:00 PM
ive never been charged fees for using my amex :D i still keep mine as a backup card

Originally posted by Dren

True...They have a good card if you spend a lot at Canadian tire. 1.8% back in Cdn Tire money...and its not to bad when you buy gas there too.

I also got this card. 2 months...24 bucks in cdn tire money...not too bad i think...i used to have a "Classic" Card.. so got notin before

with my ct card it is 1% i think... and 2% if i pay the bill in store :D guess what :D each month i get at least 20$

nonsane
06-06-2006, 08:42 PM

I was under the impression that when you get a "cosigner", they are the primary account holder and the CC goes under their name and affects their credit. It should do nothing to build the secondary account holder's credit since everything is held against the primary holder.
That's why when children get CCs as secondary holders, when they turn of age, they still have no credit even though they have had CCs for some time.

It only affects the main holders credit. But they like a cosigner with good credit so that if you fuck up, they can go after the parent/spouse/child/dog

It may be different if they are under 18 though.

BebeAphrodite
06-07-2006, 03:37 PM

It only affects the main holders credit. But they like a cosigner with good credit so that if you fuck up, they can go after the parent/spouse/child/dog

It may be different if they are under 18 though.

Mmmmm..
I dunno...
I just didn't think that secondary credit card holders are affected if they have the supplementary card.
I only know a couple ppl w/ secondary acct holders on their cards and in each of the cases (all the cases the secondary was over 18 but just didn't have that great of credit), the primary holder was 100% liable for charges made on their card. So the secondary holders did not build their credit just by having a credit card under someone else's name.

Hakkola
06-07-2006, 06:02 PM
A few years ago I had an Amex under my name but the actual account was my moms, I used it for quite awhile and I never gained any sort of credit rating from it.

aaronck
06-08-2006, 10:41 PM
That credit card infopage is pretty great, but it doesn't mention any cards you pay for. I currently pay $40 a year on my BMO air miles card, but have decided that I'd rather get cash back. I spend about $40,000 per year on my card, and would like to get the best return possible, even if I have to pay a small fee...anyone know of a good card?

AzN'SKillZ
07-16-2006, 02:10 PM
i just turned 18 like a week ago, i just finish grade 12 and goin to chinook college for upgradeing. currently hav a part time job at a dental lab, i make a little over 1 k a month. any suggestions as to where i can get a starter credit card. i just want one for ebay

Xtrema
07-16-2006, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by AzN'SKillZ
i just turned 18 like a week ago, i just finish grade 12 and goin to chinook college for upgradeing. currently hav a part time job at a dental lab, i make a little over 1 k a month. any suggestions as to where i can get a starter credit card. i just want one for ebay

Try to apply for a student card @ your bank.

AzN'SKillZ
07-16-2006, 07:00 PM

Try to apply for a student card @ your bank.

i went into my bank and ask about credit cards and they didnt tell me much they just gave me a broucher and told me to fill it out and hand it in. the person also said that it will be hard for me to actually get one. inside the broucher there are seletions of different cards, i sign up for the gm one cuz thats waht my cuzin has and she is a student at mount royal so i figure that would be the easyist one for me too get.

they never mention any student card?

Kobe
07-24-2006, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by AzN'SKillZ

i went into my bank and ask about credit cards and they didnt tell me much they just gave me a broucher and told me to fill it out and hand it in. the person also said that it will be hard for me to actually get one. inside the broucher there are seletions of different cards, i sign up for the gm one cuz thats waht my cuzin has and she is a student at mount royal so i figure that would be the easyist one for me too get.

they never mention any student card?

Are you enrolled in any schools for the fall semester?

I was clearing 3000+ a month and could not get approved for a 500m Limit visa, I got approved to MRC, and got a student Visa without any problems..

jav_
09-05-2007, 06:54 PM
whats this primary, secondary,tertiary cards ive heard about? tertiary cards are supposably the best to start building credit with. does anyone know if the petro mc is tertiary?

Khyron
09-05-2007, 07:41 PM
Never heard those terms applied to cards, aside from having a primary card, a backup card, a backup backup etc.

If I had to guess I'd say it would mean a higher interest but easier to obtain card like a Sears/Zellers or gas card.

On a separate note, the slick convert PC to Petro to Sears for 600 bucks has been killed, you can no longer convert PC to Petro. Gayness. Now the best reward cards seem to be Petro points cards, AMA cards if you're a member or just stick with Air Miles. :(

jav_
09-05-2007, 11:46 PM
is a petro mc easy to get with no credit but a college student?

New2Talon
09-06-2007, 11:08 AM
For a first card just go apply at your bank. All banks should have a "classic" or "student" card with a low limit ($500). My first was a TD green card. Spend a bit on it and pay it off every month. That way you build your credit rating and shouldn't have a hard time getting a different one.