PDA

View Full Version : Pontiac Solstice vs Honda s2000

2.2vtec
05-01-2006, 02:43 PM
Trying to make a decsion here on my next car. Has anyone here ever test drove the solstice? Lets here your guys justification in regards to choosing one over the other, keeping in mind, price, performance, and reliablity.

snowboard
05-01-2006, 02:45 PM
just wait

http://www.saturn.com/saturn/showroom/future_vehicles/SKY_scenic2.jpg

way nicer.

.civictyper.
05-01-2006, 02:48 PM
uhhhh . s2000 forsure.. i would compare the solstice to a miata or something lol.

2.2vtec
05-01-2006, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by .civictyper.
uhhhh . s2000 forsure.. i would compare the solstice to a miata or something lol.

^Justification? The Soltice seems more attractive since its almost half the price of an s2000?

As for the saturn version, I feel better choosing a pontiac for reliability reasons, I could be wrong though...

heavyD
05-01-2006, 02:55 PM
Until the Solstice GXP or Sky Redline comes out I would take the S2000 hands down over the regular Solstice or Sky.

heavyD
05-01-2006, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by 2.2vtec
As for the saturn version, I feel better choosing a pontiac for reliability reasons, I could be wrong though...

They come off the same assembly line. LOL.

sputnik
05-01-2006, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by .civictyper.

Some people here would actually rank the Miata in a class higher than the S2000 when it comes to bang for buck.

sputnik
05-01-2006, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
They come off the same assembly line. LOL.

Maybe her wants more reliable badges and fenders.

:rofl:

Oh wait. Does the SKY have the molded plastic panels like other Saturns?

2.2vtec
05-01-2006, 03:01 PM
Never knew they came off the same production line...then yes the Saturn is a little nicer! Any personal experiences though...?

teggypimp95
05-01-2006, 03:01 PM
your compairing a pontiac or a saturn to a s2000? Thats insulting.

2.2vtec
05-01-2006, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by teggypimp95

Yes I am. I dont see how its insulting when I'm basing it on the best bang for your buck. S2000 is almost double the price new, I think its something to think about...

rc2002
05-01-2006, 03:10 PM
You should read the Canadian Driver article comparision between the MX-5 and Solstice. Solstice has a lot of quirks to be worked out of it... I would stay away from it at least until the second production run.

heavyD
05-01-2006, 03:13 PM
Never knew they came off the same production line...then yes the Saturn is a little nicer! Any personal experiences though...?

They are too new. I've only seen a couple of Solstices on the road and no Sky's. They did look very nice. One thing Saturns have going for them is that they rank top three in dealership experience. The Sky's base price is higher than the Solstice's because it comes with more standard equipment. If you add the extra equipment to the Solstice, it becomes more expensive.

Xtrema
05-01-2006, 03:28 PM
Price and daily drivability would be key for the GM convertible. But as I mentioned that every time, Solstice/Sky has a pretty useless trunk which may make living with it hard.

S2K is a nice car, 6 years ago. But everyone caught up the last few years and a $50K price tag is about $10K more than it should be for what it is.

HuMz
05-01-2006, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
You should read the Canadian Driver article comparision between the MX-5 and Solstice. Solstice has a lot of quirks to be worked out of it... I would stay away from it at least until the second production run.

Ive read similar thing's in car & driver......take away the cost aspect and I wouldn't see any other reason to get a Solstice over a S2000.

clem24
05-01-2006, 03:55 PM
So.. what exactly is your goal? All out performance or bang for the buck? If it's bang for the buck, then obviously either of these cars deliver LOW bang for bucks. I mean, you'll only drive both in the summer, and probably never when it rains. 2 seats, no trunk, blah blah blah. And don't EVER buy a convertible if you plan on keeping the top up all the time.. What's the point?

If you can afford the S2000, then S2000 hands down. They're not even in the same class. If you can't afford the S2000, then I'd probably look at the Miata or the old Mazdaspeed Miata.. IF a roadster is what you want. Or try looking for a used S2000 that hasn't been bagged on.

But then again, I am completely biased against anything American made, unless it's Corvette or Viper... Just wait a couple of years and see what the cars are fetching used.

CryoCarnage
05-01-2006, 06:03 PM
id take solstice. Why? because i want to buy cars that will keep american manufacturers producing cars liek these.

Mar
05-01-2006, 06:09 PM
There's no comparison besides price, I'd get an older S2000 before I'd get a new Solstice, American cars are crap.

Besides, I'm not real fond of having to get out to put down the manual top on the Solstice.

frostyda9
05-01-2006, 06:25 PM
MX-5 with suspension, wheels, and boost ;)

guessboi
05-01-2006, 06:34 PM
I see tons of convertible in Calgary with the top up all the down.
:nut: either is too cold or they don't want to mess up their hair or something...

I guess they can't take it up or down like I can with one hand while driving or at a stop. takes me around 5 seconds to take it up or down. :D

LuxCars
05-01-2006, 11:17 PM

S2000 is almost double the price new,

there is a reason for that. If they were the same and comparable than the s2000 would not be double the price.

Stick with the smart choice and go for the S2K.

The solstice looks nice but dont expect it to last you long. (not based on reasearch, just based on american built crap cars)

mike_papps
05-01-2006, 11:31 PM
might be hard to find a solstice too.. i work at a gm dealer and we dont have any... same thing with the new vette's... along with the ss supercharged cobalt.. there hard to come by... you'd be surprised with the quality gm is producing now.. the '07 cadillac cts and escalade are unbelievable.. try them both.. if you can test drive them.. usually that will tell you hands down.. other then that yur just kickin tires and wishin you could afford it... thats what i do.. haha..

frostyda9
05-01-2006, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by mike_papps
you'd be surprised with the quality gm is producing now..

Too little, too late.

2005 Revenue (USD): 192.60B
Net Profit Margin: -5.08%
Operating Margin: -7.62%
Return on Average Assets: -2.17%
Return on Average Equity: -47.87%

Toms-SC
05-02-2006, 12:24 AM
Do the Opel conversion if you get one!
http://www.europe.opel.com/brand_sites/opelgt/gallery/opelgt_800x600_4.jpg

Zephyr
05-02-2006, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Price and daily drivability would be key for the GM convertible. But as I mentioned that every time, Solstice/Sky has a pretty useless trunk which may make living with it hard.

S2K is a nice car, 6 years ago. But everyone caught up the last few years and a $50K price tag is about $10K more than it should be for what it is.

What are you talking about? Right now S2000 is second gen already with AP2 chassis. It's a highly refined roadster that performs really dam well at stock form, so imagine it with a few mods. It's probably one of the best roadsters before you look at european cars.

Originally posted by LuxCars

there is a reason for that. If they were the same and comparable than the s2000 would not be double the price.

The solstice looks nice but dont expect it to last you long. (not based on reasearch, just based on american built crap cars)

:werd:

Though they are roadsters, I don't think these two cars are on the same platform. Price and performance both are not compariable, since they are not comparable cars in the beginning. Try the Miata....

pinoyhero
05-02-2006, 06:01 AM
If its your only car and you can afford it, go s2000, if its a second car your not gonna drive as much, go with the far cheaper Solstice.

sputnik
05-02-2006, 07:26 AM
You can get fairly low mileage 04/05 S2000's in the US for around $23-28k USD ($25-31k CAD)

Xtrema
05-02-2006, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Zephyr
What are you talking about? Right now S2000 is second gen already with AP2 chassis. It's a highly refined roadster that performs really dam well at stock form, so imagine it with a few mods. It's probably one of the best roadsters before you look at european cars.

I'm not questioning the chassis but the engine. Even with the displacement bump, it still lack the torque for daily city driving.

And it's said to see American = crap thinking is still around. There are many GM/Ford/Chrysler vehicle I don't mind getting into and Solstice is one of them.

HK2NR
05-02-2006, 08:56 AM
http://www.dpccars.com/car-movies/04-29-06pageRX8S2000WRXRSXSkyline.htm

GTS Jeff
05-02-2006, 10:42 AM
Hey guys, umm which car do you think is better, Echo or NSX?

I think the Echo is more attractive because it's like 1/5 the price....

benyl
05-02-2006, 10:53 AM
you can pimp an echo with mads styles yo.

The NSX takes premium. No good for the pocket book.

Primer_Drift
05-02-2006, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

My thoughts exactly..

I proved in another Saturn sky/Solstice thread that the Mazda miata made more power to wieght than this thing, and miatas aren't exactly quick in my books... however I have changed my standpoint on their looks. After seeing one in person I like the styling quite a bit, but because it has two of GM's worst badges attached, I would never buy one.

CrvenaZvezda
05-02-2006, 10:58 AM
I would personally choice the S2000, IMO because it looks better, performs better, and definetly more reliable... Good Luck!!!

2.2vtec
05-02-2006, 11:13 AM

Sweet maybe you should get an echo then :rolleyes: . I was simply comparing 2 seater convertiables. If autoweek and etc do an comparision I dont think I'm too far off in comparing this two...

xrayvsn
05-02-2006, 06:05 PM

Tough choice. If you said Yaris, I would have gone with that hands down. Then again, the Echo doesn't have V-TACK, but it does have back seats. I just can't decide, since V-TACK is way overrated.

To be serious, though, the S2000 hands down. If you are trying to impress people who don't know anything about cars, then either of them will get you props. I guess it depends on whether you are buying the car because you are someone who doesn't compromise on performance, or if you buy a car to impress others.

xrayvsn
05-02-2006, 07:03 PM
So, to be fair, I found this (http://media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en/product_services/2007/HPT%20Library/Ecotec/2007%20LNF/2007_20L_LNF_Solstice_pending.pdf) link of a GM dynoplot for the Pontiac Solstice GXP. That is a very flat torque curve from 1800 - 5200 rpm. If you are in the market for a roadster, it may be worthwhile at least test driving a Solstice GXP, S2000, Miata (and Porsche Boxster). But if the S2000 is at the top end of the price range, then the Porsche is probably out of consideration.

dino_martini
05-02-2006, 07:13 PM
S2000...the solstice needs more power and another gear.

Akagi
05-02-2006, 07:20 PM
The solstice and or sky definately look like nice vehicles.
However realize they are domestic!!!! Any vehicle enthusiest would stop right there at that very fact. People with more cash then brains get domestic vehicles and drive them for 2 years and then there toast. the resale value is nothing, the car is falling to pieces and they just turn around and make the same investment to the next shiny ticking time bomb..

your comparing import with domestic there is no comparison period.
Why do you think japanese is the number one culture for street racing and car making?? they seriously know what there doing.

If you can afford the S200 I would definately go for that vehicle.
Sexy car, amazing handling 240 hp at 9000 rpm!!!! Revs at 9000 rpm that says it all. Very fast, Sounds awsome, Very sleek.

Reliability is better then any domestic.

Seriously the comparability between a domestic and import is like
** shit *** and chocolate...

but I guess with enough money and loss of brain cells even shit can taste good:dunno:

s2000 all the way.

would you rather shop at gucci designer store in itally if you had the chance??

or walk around wearing the bay:werd:

iceburns288
05-02-2006, 07:24 PM

Hey, sounds familiar to the NSX:D

rage2
05-02-2006, 07:47 PM
The S2000 is a great car. But really, it's way overpriced for what you get if you're shopping new. Pretty dumb to buy a new S2K. Have you guys ever driven a S2K? It's got *nothing* for interior. Oh wait, it's got a start button. $50k for such a bare bones car, no thanks.

Fun on the track, fun to borrow once in a while (thanks kenny lol) but as a daily driver? Way too underpowered (only 190hp or so at our elevation), way too weak down low (I'm a fat ass), NO HEATED SEATS, weak heat with top down. Anyone in Calgary who's owned a convertible would understand the last 2... not exactly comfortable car for Calgary. Especially at $50k. If I were to put a price on the new S2K, in comparison to the $26k base price of the solstice, I'd say it's worth no more than $35k. If you buy at more than that, you're either insane, or a Honda fanboy who's not terribly careful with your money. Thank god they're cheap used, well unless u buy from a Honda fanboy who's selling them used at 40k+ lol.

Originally posted by LuxCars

The S2000 is double the price because there are a few idiots that buy them new every month (http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2006/04/03/002894.html) and Honda will gladly cater to that crowd. See my above statement, you're paying a lot more for a lot less.

[B] I'm not questioning the chassis but the engine. Even with the displacement bump, it still lack the torque for daily city driving.

And it's said to see American = crap thinking is still around. There are many GM/Ford/Chrysler vehicle I don't mind getting into and Solstice is one of them.
Well said! S2000's have so little torque down low, coupled with our elevation in Calgary and a ~20% loss in power up here, it's a bitch to drive in parking lots. Get on a steeper ramp and you'll have to melt a lot of your clutch to get the damn thing moving. If you're fat, it's much worse.

Totally different class of cars. Econobox vs GT car. Compare a S2K to a NSX? Only thing those 2 have in common is that they're overpriced! lol. Who the hell buys a $145k car that puts out 290hp? Suckers that's who. There were 5 of these suckers in all of the US in April 2006 (http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2006/05/02/005417.html).

rage2
05-02-2006, 07:51 PM
Now, to answer the original poster, I would choose the Solstice over the S2000 if I were to buy new. You're getting a much better bang for your buck. You can almost buy 2 Solstices for the price of a S2000. $24k is a HUGE difference. That's a fucking Z06 motor swap lol.

Of course, if I was to choose a used S2000 vs a Solstice, I'd choose the used S2000. Both are around the same price, and the S2000 *IS* a better performing car.

rage2
05-02-2006, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Akagi
The solstice and or sky definately look like nice vehicles.
However realize they are domestic!!!! Any vehicle enthusiest would stop right there at that very fact. People with more cash then brains get domestic vehicles and drive them for 2 years and then there toast. the resale value is nothing, the car is falling to pieces and they just turn around and make the same investment to the next shiny ticking time bomb..

your comparing import with domestic there is no comparison period.
Why do you think japanese is the number one culture for street racing and car making?? they seriously know what there doing.

If you can afford the S200 I would definately go for that vehicle.
Sexy car, amazing handling 240 hp at 9000 rpm!!!! Revs at 9000 rpm that says it all. Very fast, Sounds awsome, Very sleek.

Reliability is better then any domestic.

Seriously the comparability between a domestic and import is like
** shit *** and chocolate...

but I guess with enough money and loss of brain cells even shit can taste good:dunno:

s2000 all the way.

would you rather shop at gucci designer store in itally if you had the chance??

or walk around wearing the bay:werd:
You're a fucking idiot. And you're pretty gay too.

95EagleAWD
05-02-2006, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by iceburns288

Hey, sounds familiar to the NSX:D

Yes, it does. :bigpimp:

BerserkerCatSplat
05-02-2006, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by rage2

:rofl: :rofl: Fuck, you beat me to it. This guy's a douchebag. did you see his Corolla recommendation? :rofl:

Akagi
05-02-2006, 08:10 PM
Why am I a duchbag?? I made two posts that you guys don't agree with so i'm sorry...isn't there such a thing as free speach, I took time to try and give my inputs to the subjects and I got flamed for pretty much no reason whatsoever.

I havnt dissed anybody, hurt anybody or caused any harm.

I feel the s200 can't compare to solstice because I dont like domestics and will never purchase one. If he didnt want * EVERYBODIES * opinion he would of pm'd people his questions rather then posting on a public forum.

so i dont see why all the hurt towards me?
relax guys and go out and drive, were all car enthusiests here so lets act like it and get along with one another. common..

95EagleAWD
05-02-2006, 08:16 PM
Your "opinion" is flat out wrong though. Domestics aren't unreliable pieces of shit or anything. Corvettes are nice, reliable and turn 30+ mpg on the highway... what comparable Import does that? One: the NSX. And it costs waaay more than the Vette.

I don't like domestics simply because I don't like the products offered. If I was rich, I'd rock a Z06 in a heartbeat. Or a 300C SRT-8. Or a new Challenger coming out, etc.

There are nice domestics, just a little out of my league.

And, BTW, spell and grammar check are your friends.

Akagi
05-02-2006, 10:26 PM
Your right, my opinion was completely wrong in a sence. and I didn't have full research to back it up, just word at mouth.

I appoligize.

kane584
05-03-2006, 08:54 PM
Trying to make a decsion here on my next car. Has anyone here ever test drove the solstice? Lets here your guys justification in regards to choosing one over the other, keeping in mind, price, performance, and reliablity.
s2000 all the way

2.2vtec
05-03-2006, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by kane584

this is like comparing a 87 POS rusty old cavalier to a 2006 civic, s2000 all the way

Actually no its not, can people stop making stupid comments like this...:banghead:

kane584
05-03-2006, 08:57 PM
done
but i still stick to my opinion

Toma
05-03-2006, 09:33 PM
Solstice is beautiful. Saw one yesterday beside me in black :drool:

Does need to be lowered.

And ebing a US car, the support is already much better then S2000. Ls1 Swaps, turbo kits, supercharger kit due in 2 months....

Toma
05-03-2006, 09:35 PM

Please refrain from personal attacks, or I will ban you and take your volcano away....

:nut:

Mitsu3000gt
05-04-2006, 08:48 AM
I'm not an S2000 fan but given the 2 carss, S2000 for sure. The solstice compares more to the miata. I also must agree that the japanese product is much higher quality and will hold its value much much better. The solstice is by no means a POS but anyone who has sat in them both can tell you the honda is a cut above. Also after 2 years when the solstice is worth 1/2 or 1/3 of what it cost new, you will be glad you bought an S2000. There is a reason domestic cars don't hold their value as well and their profit margins are multiples of the jap/german product profit margin.

Mark

Loose
05-04-2006, 09:20 AM

Ah, the perks of owning the forum... :bigpimp:

cripson
05-04-2006, 10:02 AM
what? NSX overpriced? S2k overpriced? ARe you kidding me?
The nsx is a monster on track man, its so damn light Completly alumium, How many car are made complete alumium? Not even ferarri (most of them). Rev like insane, engine response is awsome. On Bestmotoring when japan NSX type R came out, it was competing wtih F50 man.. That;s crazy for a 100k car.

S2k clocked the same time on nurb(how do you spell it? the famous german track?) as an NSX type S(which is like top 20 for stock car at the time, yr 2000) The suspension is great, all old school stuff but awsome in cornering ability. I've never driven a s2k by myself. But the price is totally worth it. Think about how much a z4 or slk worth? Pontiac and miaita is a class lower than the s2k in every aspect of the car performance.

rage2
05-04-2006, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by cripson
what? NSX overpriced? S2k overpriced? ARe you kidding me?
The nsx is a monster on track man, its so damn light Completly alumium, How many car are made complete alumium? Not even ferarri (most of them). Rev like insane, engine response is awsome. On Bestmotoring when japan NSX type R came out, it was competing wtih F50 man.. That;s crazy for a 100k car.
haha if you think both the NSX and S2K aren't overpriced, well, I guess you're what I classify as a "honda fanboy". NSX a monster on the track, my god. Have you ever driven an NSX? It was a monseter... in 1991. Why are you bragging about aluminum? People use Carbon Fiber now, welcome to 2006.

If you think that the NSX-R is competitive with a F50... I will have to reclassify you from "honda fanboy" to "honda nutcase".

I've driven 4200lb sedans that run circles around the NSX at the track. And it can seat 5 so 4 of my friends can watch me rape the NSX. And it's cheaper than the NSX with enough money to buy a S2K (which you claim is just as fast right?). Oh ya, $146k is the base price, not $100k.

I've never driven a s2k by myself. But the price is totally worth it.
I rest my case, hondafanboy.

Think about how much a z4 or slk worth?
Now compare what you get for around the same price. Yea, you get a lot more stuff for your $.

Pontiac and miaita is a class lower than the s2k in every aspect of the car performance.
And that's why it's cheaper for those cars. But, the S2K isn't twice the car as a miata, or a solstice. Therefore it shouldn't justify twice the price.

BTW - I've driven them all.

glennc
05-04-2006, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by teggypimp95

Agreed. s2000's are uncomparible. If you want to compare a saturn/pontiac to anything im pretty sure I haven't cleaned my cats shit-box in awhile.

s2000's are amazing machines, track, street, or just for cruises on warm days.

It really depends whether you want a car to drive, or a car from a company whos ENTIRE advertising phenom came from "these doors can get hit by a shopping cart!".

FTW

Edit: NSX's are extremely overpriced and agreed, 1991 cars. Running a v6, a discrace to hondas 4 cylinder engines. There is some track in germany... I forget what its called, its the largest outdoor track in the world. Ill get the video from my freind tonight but basically youll see a stock s2k run one of the fastest lap times ever run.

Put simply, its the most well rounded performance honda.

rc2002
05-04-2006, 10:37 AM
:werd: S2K = All hype just like the ITR. I don't see how people are buying brand new S2K's with a $50k plus sticker price.

Either Honda is really good at marketing or the are bunch of idiots that play follow the leader and overpay for "hype" cars.

OMGLMFAO. Is this why your user rating is 0%, and your custom title is what it is. :rofl: :rofl:

glennc
05-04-2006, 10:42 AM
Your right and wrong. They are hype cars in the sence wealthy older people want a sporty looking reliable convertable.

But on the other hand, they would run circles around ITR's, NSX's, soltices, on a track a s2k would be no contest versus some of the domestic supercars like the new corvette z06 and viper v12s.

Bottom line is, power doesnt give engineering, engineering and driver are what make a car stick.

glennc
05-04-2006, 10:48 AM
http://goeurope.about.com/od/germany/a/nurburgring.htm

Nurburgring is the track I was talking about. Some of the fastest lap times include the maclaren f1, arial atom (a europe designed race car that will hands down own a crotch rocket on a track, and hold its own against f1's) and the s2000.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8545249018239244377&q=ariel+atom&pl=true

arial atom, I couldnt find the top gear episode but I found some douche who cant drive.

SilverBoost
05-04-2006, 11:01 AM
Personally I don't see what's so special about a S2K. Wouldn't even be in the top 5 if I had the cash to buy a car in that price range. Guess it's all what you're into. I wouldn't buy the Saturn either but really I'm just not a convertible type. It looks pretty but you better be married so you can say your wife bought it. It's a bit of a chick car if you ask me. But again, to each their own. If I were shopping for something new I could care less what anyone else thought anyhow and I'd just buy it. Unless there were some major mechanical downfalls from one to another, you're only looking at a million different opinions anyhow, most of which are based subjective taste and others who are just jumping on a S2K nadwagon because they'd be afraid what people said if they admitted they liked a saturn better.

Buy what you want man, you're the one making the payments.

rage2
05-04-2006, 11:03 AM
Yes we know about the Nurburgring. We play Grand Turismo too! :rofl:

The S2000 and NSX are both high 8min cars on the Nordeschlief. Not exactly "fastest lap times" like you're saying.

max_boost
05-04-2006, 11:36 AM
Have you guys looked at the price of the S2K? It's $55K+ out the door and that's just MSRP+Freight+PDI+Taxes. That is pretty expensive for what you get!

2.2vtec
05-04-2006, 11:45 AM
You can pick up a used s2000 for as low as 20,000(from the states) and as high as 35000(newer one). I think it has depreciated quite a bit.

yes people are saying its an awesome track car...but how many of us soley by the car for track, If I were to get one it would be used for daily driving..

glennc
05-04-2006, 12:09 PM
Yes we know about the Nurburgring. We play Grand Turismo too! :rofl:

The S2000 and NSX are both high 8min cars on the Nordeschlief. Not exactly "fastest lap times" like you're saying.

Where is soltice on that list?

As far as "quickness" one of the fastest times is around 7 minutes 43 seconds. Comparing a 55k honda VS a 200,000 dollar porche I would say it holds its ground damn well.

xrayvsn
05-04-2006, 12:09 PM
Only problem I see with importing a slightly used US S2000 would be that you lose the warranty here in Canada. Over $50K for an S2000 is way overpriced. That's crazy, I thought they were $40K or so.

I saw the Pontiac Solstice on the road yesterday after this thread, and damn if it didn't make me look twice. I say take them both for a drive, and see what you like more. I probably would still buy a used S2000 instead of a Solstice, but if the GXP comes out, that may sway my opinion.

403Gemini
05-04-2006, 12:11 PM
hahha okay i got to rage2's first batch of posts and ic ouldnt stop laughing. thanks rage 2 haha literlaly, i almost started crying i was laughing so hard at:

:thumbsup:

Honestly, rage2 put it into perspective. for bang for buck solstice, absolutly. hell id buy one.

Domestic reliablity?

My 97 saturn, ive owned for almost 3 years now, has had less problems then my integra did. i changed the brakes and regular maintenance on the saturn and THAT IS IT (oh and winter tires of course :bigpimp: )

Im up in the air about new cars with my new job. I love the solstice/sky. i would buy one... but i want a year round car, so now im looking at cobalt ss/pursuit (non-supercharged 170 hp) or the dodge calibur (170 hp 2.4l) for comfort/room.

:dunno:

4doorj
05-04-2006, 12:11 PM
few reasons i bought my s2000

sexy ass car!!!!!:thumbsup:
lots of aftermarket:thumbsup:
the way it sounds is amazing!!!!!!:drool: 9k rev :drool:
handles awsome! but i dont track so meh.... i should track it!
you dont see too many of them on the road
driving top down in nice summer weather:hitit:

its not the fastest car, but i dont mind that much

and yes i do think it is overpriced!
50k + for a new one.... i would love a new one but i cant get myself to spend that much... i would rather buy a 2 year old s2000
my opinion s2000 should be 40k with hardtop, thats where is should be priced at

im not a honda fanboy as i own a mitsubishi.. and owned other cars...

i almost sold it before... (mistake)
i will never let it go

I love my S2000!

solstice is a really nice car!!!
way better deal!!! but i would rather drive the s2000

glennc
05-04-2006, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
hahha okay i got to rage2's first batch of posts and ic ouldnt stop laughing. thanks rage 2 haha literlaly, i almost started crying i was laughing so hard at:

:thumbsup:

Honestly, rage2 put it into perspective. for bang for buck solstice, absolutly. hell id buy one.

Domestic reliablity?

My 97 saturn, ive owned for almost 3 years now, has had less problems then my integra did. i changed the brakes and regular maintenance on the saturn and THAT IS IT (oh and winter tires of course :bigpimp: )

Im up in the air about new cars with my new job. I love the solstice/sky. i would buy one... but i want a year round car, so now im looking at cobalt ss/pursuit (non-supercharged 170 hp) or the dodge calibur (170 hp 2.4l) for comfort/room.

:dunno:

Yeah, Its really down to finding out which is better for you.

My family has had bad experience with saturn which is probably where my sour for them comes in. On the other hand, my b16 civic has made 3 trips to vancouver, endless daily driving and showed me no problems a year into our "relationship" (so call it).

Impreza
05-04-2006, 01:33 PM
I wouldn't buy either car brand new. Well, I wouldn't buy the solstice, period. The S2000 is a great car, but for $50k, no thx. I would jump all over a used s2k at the right price though! :D

rage2
05-04-2006, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by glennc
Where is soltice on that list?

As far as "quickness" one of the fastest times is around 7 minutes 43 seconds. Comparing a 55k honda VS a 200,000 dollar porche I would say it holds its ground damn well.
Don't think anyone's run the solstice yet, I'm sure it's slower than the S2K. As for your Porsche vs S2K comparison, 1 minute slower in the S2K is an eternity. But if you wanna compare laptimes vs cost, I'll show u how that looks against the S2000 and NSX:

8:39 Honda S2000 ($50k)
8:38 Honda NSX 3.2 ($146k)

Here are the competitors:

8:37 Subaru Impreza GT Turbo
8:32 VW Golf R32
8:29 Subaru Impreza WRX sedan
8:29 Audi S4 4.2 Avant
8:26 Nissan 350Z
8:24 Subaru Impreza WRX STi

These cars rape the S2K and NSX at Nurburgring for a lot less $. What does that mean? S2K AND NSX ARE OVERPRICED! Porsches are overpriced too, but that's a whole new thread :rofl:.

Finally, 7:43 isn't THAT fast. Bone stock Z06 ran a 7:42, a car that's much cheaper than the NSX. Fast is that Radical SR8 video that was posted a while back... 6:55!

glennc
05-04-2006, 02:35 PM
Along with that I'd like to see a list of drivers? Please? I know for fact an s2k can run high 7s low 8's.

Also, how much does a new Impreza gt turbo cost, 350 z, ect.

Add on all of the little lucxuries on the s2k and what do you get? What you paid for.

rage2
05-04-2006, 03:08 PM
Along with that I'd like to see a list of drivers? Please? I know for fact an s2k can run high 7s low 8's.
Maybe in Gran Turismo :rofl:. These are numbers compiled by magazine testers on the nurburgring site, so they're not amateur drivers.

Also, how much does a new Impreza gt turbo cost, 350 z, ect.
About the same as a S2K or cheaper. Thats why I choose them. 350z $46k. Impreza WRX $35k. Impreza STi $49k. Audi S4 $70k (more of a comparison against NSX).

Add on all of the little lucxuries on the s2k and what do you get? What you paid for.
Luxuries? There are no luxuries in the S2K. Which is what I've been saying all along, you get so little for so much $. Overpriced! All the competitors have much more day to day comfort and features than the S2K.

2.2vtec
05-04-2006, 03:16 PM
350z is looking a lot more appealing then the s2k...

heavyD
05-04-2006, 03:18 PM
The S2000 is double the price because there are a few idiots that buy them new every month (http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2006/04/03/002894.html) and Honda will gladly cater to that crowd. See my above statement, you're paying a lot more for a lot less.

Ha Ha. This thread is just another pathetic domestic bashing thread full of honda fanboys that polute this city & these forums. On a different note I did find something interesting about those sales numbers & how pathetically low the RSX sells. A car that some people have posted on these forums as "one of the nicest looking cars on the planet" and many others that think it's one of the best cars ever invented. Acura pretty well sells the same amount of RL's for crying out loud. I think living in a Honda city like Calgary gives many the assumption that Honda outsell everything everywhere which is far from the truth. They are still a small player that builds nice economy cars but the performance is so overrated that as a whole their offerings as a group are amongst the slowest in the world as an automaker. To top it off while their reliability is very good, it's far from perfect and really not much better than domestics.

Xtrema
05-04-2006, 03:29 PM
Rage2 is in busting fanboy cherry mode today :rofl:

S2K is a $38K-$40K car. No way is it worth $50K.

benyl
05-04-2006, 03:48 PM
Rage2 needs a new avatar that says "Honda Fanboy Alert!"

heavyD
05-04-2006, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by benyl
Rage2 needs a new avatar that says "Honda Fanboy Alert!"

What about me?:dunno: Nobody has more confrontations with them than me.:D

I actually like the S2000 and used to love my Honda's. The fanboys make it hard for me to ever consider buying another one though.:(

Zephyr
05-04-2006, 03:54 PM
Holy crap new S2000 in canada is 50k CAD? thats like roughly 45k USD?! wtf you can get a fully loaded G35 coupe and have 3k left over to buy a years worth of insurance or more! Hell that's way more than what I paid for the IS350!

I just recently got a quote from my car broker friend for 31K USD which is like 34K CAD new 2006 AP2.

wow I can see why you guys call that car overpriced... holy crap I didnt know there was such a huge price difference..

rage2
05-04-2006, 04:04 PM
Ha Ha. This thread is just another pathetic domestic bashing thread full of honda fanboys that polute this city & these forums.
haha ya, I dunno why there's so much hate against domestics. I love the new domestic products that I've been seeing, 300C, Charger, Solstice, Sky, Mustang (especially that GT500). You're getting a LOT more car for the money. The reliability myth is messed up, they're not K-cars or Tempos no more.

On a different note I did find something interesting about those sales numbers & how pathetically low the RSX sells. A car that some people have posted on these forums as "one of the nicest looking cars on the planet" and many others that think it's one of the best cars ever invented. Acura pretty well sells the same amount of RL's for crying out loud. I think living in a Honda city like Calgary gives many the assumption that Honda outsell everything everywhere which is far from the truth. They are still a small player that builds nice economy cars but the performance is so overrated that as a whole their offerings as a group are amongst the slowest in the world as an automaker. To top it off while their reliability is very good, it's far from perfect and really not much better than domestics.
Well said. RSX is a pretty nice car though for what it sells for. Unfortunately Honda shot themselves in the foot by offering the new Civic Si. Similarly equipped, close performance, $10k less. Maybe that's why the RSX is gone for 07.

edit - $9k less, 26k for civic Si vs 35k for RSX Type-S.

xrayvsn
05-04-2006, 04:21 PM
I hope this means that GM will start making cars that people actually want to buy, and not to fill the needs of rental car companies. The Solstice/Sky (and of course the Z06) are definitely a good start.

Honda was a good deal 15 years ago. That said, the Civic is still good reliable transportation for people. Canadians, not just Calgarians love their Civics, and I think it was (maybe still is?) Honda's best selling vehicle in Canada. I do have a hard time swallowing over $30k out the door for a Civic, even though it is the hyped Si (or RSX-S for that matter). The bang for the buck factor of Hondas is non-existant now. I still can't believe that the S2000 is over $50K. You could get a true track car like the Lotus Elise for a little more now.

Haha, this thread is turning into another Honda>all thread just like the SRT-4 thread did. This time, I'm glad rage is here to deliver the beatdown.

max_boost
05-04-2006, 04:52 PM
^^^

CAn't mess with Rage, dude's a gangster.

Originally posted by Zephyr
Holy crap new S2000 in canada is 50k CAD? thats like roughly 45k USD?! wtf you can get a fully loaded G35 coupe and have 3k left over to buy a years worth of insurance or more! Hell that's way more than what I paid for the IS350!

I just recently got a quote from my car broker friend for 31K USD which is like 34K CAD new 2006 AP2.

wow I can see why you guys call that car overpriced... holy crap I didnt know there was such a huge price difference.. CAuse your USD is weak right now. 5 years ago it was a different tune when $31K S2K=$46,500 CDN

Just think when it gets even par $1USD=$1CDN! :drama: :eek:

Aleks
05-04-2006, 05:16 PM

What about me?:dunno: Nobody has more confrontations with them than me.:D

I actually like the S2000 and used to love my Honda's. The fanboys make it hard for me to ever consider buying another one though.:(

Why would you care about the fanboys? I actually considered buying an SRT4 until they stopped making them :banghead: even though 1/2 the people ridiculed that idea. Also YOU know how most of the owners of SRT4s are... here and especially on srtforums...I didn't care really, just waited to long and the opportunity passed.

glennc
05-04-2006, 05:40 PM
No bang for your buck honda? Gas prices are constantly going up the new honda fit is the solution for "bang for your buck", gas economy and compact affordable luxury.

Luxury of course compared to an older "fuel effiecent" honda.

I sat in a new Fit, they are all around smooth cars.

RotaryDrifter
05-04-2006, 05:44 PM

Totally different class of cars. Econobox vs GT car. Compare a S2K to a NSX? Only thing those 2 have in common is that they're overpriced! lol. Who the hell buys a $145k car that puts out 290hp? Suckers that's who. There were 5 of these suckers in all of the US in April 2006 (http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2006/05/02/005417.html).

:werd::werd: :werd:

glennc
05-04-2006, 05:47 PM
Yeah, NSX is ridiculously overpriced considering an s2k with a supercharger (2000 dollars added onto the 45 is is) will most likely beat it.

Then again, one day, if im rich. Ill buy an NSX.

Then I'll buy a soltice and beat it in with a sledge in the dealer parking lot.

glennc
05-04-2006, 05:55 PM
Search autotrader. 26,000 dollar mint dealer s2000's.

heavyD
05-04-2006, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
Also YOU know how most of the owners of SRT4s are... here and especially on srtforums...I didn't care really, just waited to long and the opportunity passed.

I sure do. Worst car community ever. Their idea of boost control is adjustable wastegate actuator with a stiff spring. Hundreds are running around with them & half the tools constantly complain about part throttle boost (the stiff spring keeps the wastegate closed for too long at part throttle boost causing major compressor surge). Duhhh. Same guys are running 22 psi on the stock fuel system despite the warning that AGP includes with their adjustable WGA that you should not exceed 17 psi with the stock fuel system. Theres about a 100 threads with guys swearing that their $350 cold air intake actually makes more power (this is a turbo car remember) & another 500 threads about how SRT-4's should smoke corvettes, EVOs, STi, Mustang Cobras, etc. I could go on forever but it makes me too sad that I am somehow associated with them. :(

Aleks
05-04-2006, 09:15 PM

I sure do. Worst car community ever. Their idea of boost control is adjustable wastegate actuator with a stiff spring. Hundreds are running around with them & half the tools constantly complain about part throttle boost (the stiff spring keeps the wastegate closed for too long at part throttle boost causing major compressor surge). Duhhh. Same guys are running 22 psi on the stock fuel system despite the warning that AGP includes with their adjustable WGA that you should not exceed 17 psi with the stock fuel system. Theres about a 100 threads with guys swearing that their $350 cold air intake actually makes more power (this is a turbo car remember) & another 500 threads about how SRT-4's should smoke corvettes, EVOs, STi, Mustang Cobras, etc. I could go on forever but it makes me too sad that I am somehow associated with them. :(

And this is why I wanted a new one. :(