PDA

View Full Version : Impreza roof spoiler OEM or aftermarket replica?

redevil
05-02-2006, 03:32 PM
Just looking for opinions if there is a difference between an OEM roof Spoiler from Subaru or an aftermarket roof spoiler from a generic manufacturer (same style like oem).

I know before (long time ago)that aftermarket replica spoilers were not that great. Is this the case with the roof spoiler for a wagon.
The main difference between the OEM is that it is painted from the factory, unlike the aftermarket replica which still needs to get painted. I have an aspen white 06 wagon so would it be difficult to paint match the spoiler, or will there be any problems in the future?

Is there any way to tell if it is OEM spoiler? I know that for acura they were stamped on the underside of the spoiler ACURA

Thanks

BokCh0y
05-02-2006, 04:14 PM
Personally I'd go with OEM because of certain fitment issues or if a brake light is included, the wiring is more specific as compared to aftermarket.

I bought an aftermarket spoiler for my IS because I saved $$$ as compared to OEM. Looks the same and fits the same. Problem? Brake light in spoiler is different than the OEM (no big deal but I'm just picky) and the wiring and mounting is different. When it was mounted the shop had to drill holes in different places as compared to the OEM which have specific designated mounting points. Also the wiring is not the same. The OEM has plugs that plug into the factory harness which disables the rear dash mounted third brake light. The aftermarket does not have this and it needed to be wired (hacked) into the existing brake light wiring. Also the screw mounts that needed to be drilled were drilled in a much different location than the OEM which left holes in my trunk. I had to cover them up with little plugs and stuff that doesn't come with the kit.

When I bought my OEM spoiler for my accord it came with everything. Springs, spolier, wiring harness and plugs. Proper screws, plugs and templates on where to drill the holes. During installation it really was a couple of holes, sealing the holes unplugging the rear dash third brake light and then plugging the factory designated holes with the factory plugs. Everything worked great and the insall was smooth except the mounting of the damn springs.

MY IS AM spoiler didn't come with springs so my trunk doesn't stay open the way it should.

I think for certain things an AM spoiler is good but for me personally, i shoulda spent the extra dough and purchased OEM instead.

redevil
05-02-2006, 09:05 PM
The OEM spoiler does not have any brake lights and does not need spring, I have a hatchback wagon so it uses gas shocks.

That.Guy.S30
05-02-2006, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by redevil
The OEM spoiler does not have any brake lights and does not need spring, I have a hatchback wagon so it uses gas shocks.

man, if i knew i wouldve sold you my wagon. lol i also have a white 06 w/ the spoiler lol.

anyways, do not buy your spoiler from the dealership, they dont even do a good job installing it. i found screws and shavings in my hatch, very unprofessional. im still mad at them, it is supposed to take aruond 4 hours to do it, i dropped it off at 10am and they finished my car 15 minutes beofre they closed. so basically when i get there, they are closed and my car is locked up at the back.

try to get them to throw it in. if you cant, go buy from a online subie dealer, its much cheaper. check out subaruginuwineparts.com (sp).

another option you have is to get a saab 92x spoiler. no one has tried it yet, but it would be pretty interesting to see one.

as for replicas, i dont know much about them. to be honest, i havent even seen one on the internet yet.

redevil
05-02-2006, 09:44 PM
Thi_Thi Subs

which dealership did you get your done at, and if you don't mind how much did they charge you for the spoiler. Was it OEM from Subaru (painted from factory) or replica that was painted to match? post or pm me back.

Thanks

That.Guy.S30
05-02-2006, 10:51 PM
i got it done at Subaru of calgary. i got it thrown in with my car so i dont know how much it cost. it was on oem spoiler, so i did not have to paint it.

honestly subaruginuineparts.com would be the cheapest place to get a spoiler, unless you get one used.

https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/index.php?cPath=33_48&sort=1a&page=3

redevil
05-02-2006, 11:06 PM
I just don't know about duty/customs charges on it when it is coming from the US:confused:

That.Guy.S30
05-03-2006, 06:05 PM
itll be cheap. i bought 450US worth a few months ago and only got charged 45 bucks CDN. that was with usps not ups.

anyways buying from the website will save you at least 100 bucks. subaru canada says the spoiler is 400.21 without tax. and then an hour and a half for install.

redevil
05-04-2006, 11:05 PM
I'll probably be looking at getting it through subaruginuineparts.com :thumbsup:

That.Guy.S30
05-05-2006, 10:55 AM
make sure you tell them USPS not UPS.. also ask jamie (subiegal <-- not sure about the name, on nasioc) to make the prices lower on the reciept so there will be less duty.