PDA

View Full Version : Best Russian-style/east european foodage in Calgary?

Vagabond142
05-02-2006, 03:40 PM
Seeing as there is a thread for pretty much any ethnicity out there, I thought that, seeing as I enjoy russian food, hell any east european food, that a thread should be started on this food style as well :)

So far the best place (because it's the ONLY place) I've had prepared russian food from is that tiny-as-fuck place on 14th St NW northbound just north of 17 ave (the red mile). Great cabbage rolls :thumbsup: Called "Mishnakas" or something (the store, they also do pizza and such)

But, as I am now making money and craving some new culinary experiences around calgary for the Russian/East European foodages :)

http://www.skazkacalgary.com/menu.html <-- this place looks interesting, if a little rippingly expensive for entrees (note: never been there, just commenting on prices from the menu)

statick
05-03-2006, 06:57 AM
Jonas (I believe it's hungarian) in downtown is quite good...although it is "well-priced".

DowntownCowboy
05-03-2006, 09:30 AM
I posted a review of Skazka on this forum a few months back during Dine Out week, I give it a :thumbsup:

Jonas is Hungarian and I've had it once eventhough I lived on the apartment building on top of it for over a year, its pretty good too. Very homely!

nonlinear
05-03-2006, 10:54 AM
jonas' hands down

Anton
05-08-2006, 12:56 PM
Jonas, if I think it's where I've been has food that you would find in a regular restaurant in Russia. So it's very authentic. (I'm Russian so I'd know)

Skazka is a very nice place with good food.

Both of those would be my top choices.

3g4me
05-09-2006, 10:17 AM
Pfanntastic Pannenkoek Haus (DUTCH) Good for breakfast and lunch. On glenmore and crowchild.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Also Lena's Italian Market is really good, they have a cafe' inside that has to die for Wedding soup and sandwiches.

Anton
05-09-2006, 08:18 PM
Lena's is awesome. Great selection of products to make italian food at home too :drool:

Vagabond142
05-10-2006, 12:59 AM
Italian is DEFINTELY not East European :D :D

3g4me
05-10-2006, 09:09 AM
Oh shit i thought just european food. My bad.:banghead:

01RedDX
05-10-2006, 06:23 PM

Vagabond142
05-10-2006, 07:10 PM
Black caviar = $$$$$$$ but :love: :love: :drool: :drool:

Does the Trokya place have large boxes of cabbage rolls or pelmini for take home foodage? If so, I am **THERE**:bigpimp:

01RedDX
05-10-2006, 07:46 PM

Vagabond142
05-11-2006, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
[B]
You should also try the cheese spread that comes in little glass jars :drool:

THEY HAVE THAT!?!?!?!

GAH! And it's a week till my paycheque is deposited into meh account :cry:

adidas
05-17-2006, 11:24 AM
There is a place by the name of Golden Cue down on macleod that sells Bosnian food.

You can eat in or take home, and it has a veraity of bosnian foods. The owner is a really great guy. One thing to try would be the "Cevapi" which is basically meat rolled into 2 inch rolls and then put on a bbq, it is made out of beef, btw. It is really really good, i have taken a bunch of my friends who are not all European and they loved it. The meal might look small but im sure it will get u full by the end. It only costs 7 dollars, and the menu also has some other great food that doesnt cost more then 13 dollars a meal!

I believe its macleod and 39th ave....but i know that its right by World Health Club. so between 39th ave and hooters/back alley.

CrvenaZvezda
05-17-2006, 11:29 AM
If you would like to try Italian, go to Il Giardino (im pretty sure thats how u spell it lol) its on the corner of 17th ave (red mile) and 4th street.

:drool: yummy damn now im hungry.

Aleks
05-17-2006, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by adidas
There is a place by the name of Golden Cue down on macleod that sells Bosnian food.

You can eat in or take home, and it has a veraity of bosnian foods. The owner is a really great guy. One thing to try would be the &quot;Cevapi&quot; which is basically meat rolled into 2 inch rolls and then put on a bbq, it is made out of beef, btw. It is really really good, i have taken a bunch of my friends who are not all European and they loved it. The meal might look small but im sure it will get u full by the end. It only costs 7 dollars, and the menu also has some other great food that doesnt cost more then 13 dollars a meal!

I believe its macleod and 39th ave....but i know that its right by World Health Club. so between 39th ave and hooters/back alley.

mmm Cevapi. Good with fresh onion and bread. That stuff is so tasty but super greasy.

Vagabond142
05-18-2006, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by CrvenaZvezda
If you would like to try Italian, go to Il Giardino (im pretty sure thats how u spell it lol) its on the corner of 17th ave (red mile) and 4th street.

:drool: yummy damn now im hungry.

Italian is Mediterranean, not east European, and so far no restaurant to date can beat Da Guido's for Italian (Ercole could when it existed, but since Ercole shut down, Da Guido's = :bigpimp: :bigpimp: )

Bosnian stuff sounds interesting. Would definitely like to try some out at that price point :D Some good suggestions coming in, let's keep the thread going :D

Vagabond142
05-20-2006, 07:17 PM
Well, I hit up Troyka today :bigpimp: kinda small place, but good selection. The dried fish was making the whole place smell :drool: :drool: :drool:

No black caviar tho :cry: nor cheese spread :cry: :cry:

But I did pick up a jar of Ukranian eggplant spread and some slices of smoked meat (the bacon back there looked INCREDIBLE, but I just got some regular smoked ham and one dried/smoked fish). Lady behind the counter had an accent thick enough to wade through, but was super helpful and even gave me a mustard pickle free for buying so much there (I bought like $25 worth of stuff, all of it worth it).

Definite :thumbsup: :thumbsup: if you're looking for East European foodage :) Looks like a couple of the Calgary Flames also shop there as there were autographed pictures on the wall saying "Thanks!"

01RedDX
05-20-2006, 11:23 PM

Vagabond142
05-28-2006, 03:19 PM
Went to Matrioshka today (it's at the corner of 17th ave and 14 st SW), and man oh man I couldn't resist, I had to get another of their monstrous cabbage rolls... sooooooooooooooooo good :drool:

Also picked up some pickled tomatoes... yum! They have red caviar there, had the tiniest of tastes, was a little salty for my tastes but still very good.

I did drive up MacLeod from Anderson after getting gas at the reservation, and the only Golden Cue I saw was a billiards place. Poked my head in, all billiards, no foodage. So Adidas, are you sure it's the Golden Cue? o_O

adidas
06-02-2006, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Vagabond142
Went to Matrioshka today (it's at the corner of 17th ave and 14 st SW), and man oh man I couldn't resist, I had to get another of their monstrous cabbage rolls... sooooooooooooooooo good :drool:

Also picked up some pickled tomatoes... yum! They have red caviar there, had the tiniest of tastes, was a little salty for my tastes but still very good.

I did drive up MacLeod from Anderson after getting gas at the reservation, and the only Golden Cue I saw was a billiards place. Poked my head in, all billiards, no foodage. So Adidas, are you sure it's the Golden Cue? o_O

Sorry about the wait between reply's.

But yes Golden Cue's is the right place. It has billiards towards the back of the place and has about 10 tables up front with a bar. You just sit down at the table and u will get served. Or if you want just go up to the bar and tell the owner to make you one portion of cevapi.

Enjoy and tell me how it went!

P.S. He does not take credit cards or debit cards, only cash so make sure you got some on you!

Aleks
06-02-2006, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Vagabond142

i think you're thinking of Classic Q on MacLeod and Southland right?

The place he is reffering to is Golden Cue on Macleod and 39th ish ave. I go to both. One on Southland has $5/hr pool on sunday nights :)

Vagabond142
06-03-2006, 06:45 PM
Just to demonstrate the utter SIZE of these cabbage rolls from Matrioshka, here's a pic beside one of my favorite papergbacks :D $2.50 for one, and sooooooooo worth it (it's literally a meal in itself, cabbage stuffed with rice and good stuff ^_^

http://members.shaw.ca/bertrams/100_7423.JPG