PDA

View Full Version : [Advice] Advantages In A Manual Car?

MaDpOo
05-02-2006, 04:47 PM
I need some suggestions and advices in picking a manual car instead of a auto.

What are the advantages in a manual over a auto?

gp36912
05-02-2006, 04:52 PM
you get better rev control over your car, you can downshift whenever you want, and you can time it to your driving. :D basically all i can think of atm. o and clutch is cheaper to replace than the whole tranny :D

sputnik
05-02-2006, 04:52 PM
With a manual you can impress your high school friends with your mad shifting skillz!

RickDaTuner
05-02-2006, 04:53 PM
manual...

less cost, less maintenance, driving is more "fun", better gas mileage

sputnik
05-02-2006, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
better gas mileage

This always makes me laugh

While it is technically true... most of the people I hear saying it are the ones that stand on the gas pedal and shift at 7000 rpm.

Vypros
i street race better when i can rev the motor and dump the clutch to acheive a more solid start. i usually take 9/10 kids in their parents automatic taurus off the line because they are stupid and drop it from park into drive, or get stuck holding foot on brake and then preloading.

manual > auto

jcrules99
driving is so much funner with manual! and also :burnout:

automatic is boring...

canadian_hustla
05-02-2006, 04:57 PM
Manual
+ feels like you are really driving
+ better in winter (if you have to stop quicker, you can downshift)
+ don't use your brakes as much if you are downshifting
+ depending on the car, somewhat higher resale value
+ you decide how fast/when you want to shift, so you can go really easy on the car and engine
+ ability to downshift before lights, etc etc
+ I would have to say that it is an easier and cheaper fix than an auto tranny

- pain in the ass/nuissance in rush hour traffic, clutch foot falls asleep
- requires having to know how to drive stick
- depending if you are a new driver or not, if you are a new driver it might be too difficult to focus on road and shift
- can't talk on cellphone/or hold gf's hand
- can't have food/drink in your right hand
- might not be good in winter, somewhat harder to shift on ice
- requires only 1 hand on wheel sometimes (you have to be able to do everything with one hand, like turn, signal, etc if you are shifting)

Automatic
+ have another hand free for holding food, drinking, holding gfs hand, etc... could be seen as safer in that you never have to take your hands off the wheel
+ much easier in rush hour
+ somewhat faster acceleration
+ no clutch to fix
+ better if you want to sell your car to a market who doesn't know how to drive stick
+ less work driving

- expensive/ more complicated tranny to fix
- not as much fun as manual

schurchill39
05-02-2006, 04:57 PM
I fell like i have better control over my vehicle if its manual, i get to chose the gears, when to down shift whne to upshift etc

Xtrema
05-02-2006, 05:02 PM
It all about control. It really depend on what kind of driver you are.

If you want best of both world, look into Golf GTI's DSG transmission.

skyline19
05-02-2006, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by canadian_hustla
Manual
+ you decide how fast/when you want to shift, so you can go really easy on the car and engine

- depending if you are a new driver or not, if you are a new driver it might be too difficult to focus on road and shift
- requires only 1 hand on wheel sometimes (you have to be able to do everything with one hand, like turn, signal, etc if you are shifting)

Automatic
+ have another hand free for holding food, drinking, holding gfs hand, etc... could be seen as safer in that you never have to take your hands off the wheel
+ no clutch to fix
+ better if you want to sell your car to a market who doesn't know how to drive stick
+ less work driving

most of this is right but an experienced shifter can eat a big mac and shift at the same time.:thumbsup:

gp36912
05-02-2006, 05:08 PM
^^^ and the acceleration is slower 99% of the time. and yes you can shift and eat at the same time.

b_t
05-02-2006, 05:09 PM
Well, an automatic shifts faster, launches harder (with an aftermarket torque convertor), is always 100% consistent (great for bracket racing), its typically cheaper to replace an auto tranny (junkyard autos are <$400) then it is to replace a stage 3 or 4 aftermarket clutch, and they are more comfortable in traffic.

The downsides are, they leech power, 5-7% more then a manual, if you are constantly changing your power curve it costs more to replace the torque convertor then to just let the clutch out different, if you bag a stock auto tranny it will explode, they don't impress ricers, and you usually have one less gear then the standard version of your car.

Zero102
05-02-2006, 05:14 PM

Care to back that one up?
Stop quicker how?....

Automatics are the way to go if you do mostly city driving. If you are doing a lot of highway trips, then a manual is the way to go.
If you talk on your phone, or eat/carry food while you drive, then don't get a manual, please.

canadian_hustla
05-02-2006, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Zero102

Care to back that one up?
Stop quicker how?....

Automatics are the way to go if you do mostly city driving. If you are doing a lot of highway trips, then a manual is the way to go.
If you talk on your phone, or eat/carry food while you drive, then don't get a manual, please.

OK well maybe not stop quicker, but you can slow down without using your brakes as much. Seriously, next slowfall get a standard and try it :)

the way I see it, you can slide around all you want with locked brakes in an auto, or you can downshift and then brake and be fine

gp36912
05-02-2006, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by b_t
Well, an automatic shifts faster, launches harder (with an aftermarket torque convertor), is always 100% consistent (great for bracket racing), its typically cheaper to replace an auto tranny (junkyard autos are &lt;$400) then it is to replace a stage 3 or 4 aftermarket clutch, and they are more comfortable in traffic.

The downsides are, they leech power, 5-7% more then a manual, if you are constantly changing your power curve it costs more to replace the torque convertor then to just let the clutch out different, if you bag a stock auto tranny it will explode, they don't impress ricers, and you usually have one less gear then the standard version of your car.

i agree it shifts faster, and maybe more consistent in its timing, but u can still launch harder with a manual, you just have to know how. for the auto tranny price. you are way off, and i am talking new parts, lets just say 2000 for the parts, and thats if its a completely new tranny, now a clutch is about 300 and weren't not talking lightweight stage 3 or 4 clutches, just your normal clutches, and install etc comes to a total of 900, the final number is an actualy price quote i got on my corolla, vs an auto tranny for my aunts car which is 1400 for parts, and thats before labour, on bascially the same car.

i don't appreciate the ricer comment about the manual, if you look at the full out race cars minus the f1 style cars. i am talking about the touring class etc. are all manual gearboxes.

b_t
05-02-2006, 05:26 PM
Junkyard autos, especially for import cars, are unbelievably cheap since nobody wants them. look on car-part.com if you don't believe me..

the problem is, nobody uses auto trannys in their imports, so the same parts that make an auto such a good choice in a domestic are very hard to come by for an import.

gp36912
05-02-2006, 05:30 PM
true but then with a used auto tranny, you are taking a big risk. unless the car was there because of a rear end sideswipe. you are taking a major risk of the tranny being bagged to hell and also the fact that the tranny may already be on the last bit of its life.

Khyron
05-02-2006, 05:31 PM
Audi/VW DSG first vehicle to make me consider dropping the clutch pedal. But for a normal new car, auto is usually 1000 more, and saps 10% or so power. But it's usually easier to sell. It really depends on the car though. An auto windstar is easier to sell, but a manual boxter would sell quicker than an auto (I hope anyway).

Khyron

gp36912
05-02-2006, 05:37 PM
though ive tried the smg gearbox in the mazda6, its actually pretty good, it still saps power but you do get quite a little bit more control over shifts etc.

shawtie
05-02-2006, 05:45 PM
I picked automatic cause ....... Ive never drivin manual

this way its easier to do my hair and makeup when i dont have time before i leave the house!! LOL kidding

Team_Mclaren
05-02-2006, 06:04 PM
stop asking questions and just buy my damn car!!!:rofl:

asp integra
05-02-2006, 07:47 PM
manual, no doubt, so much more fun and u have control over the car, another thing i like is u dont have to use ur breaks much, u can take ur foot off the gas to slow down where as in auto ur foot is back and forth and it gets really anoying

Zero102
05-02-2006, 07:52 PM

OK well maybe not stop quicker, but you can slow down without using your brakes as much. Seriously, next slowfall get a standard and try it :)

the way I see it, you can slide around all you want with locked brakes in an auto, or you can downshift and then brake and be fine

But it just doesn't work that way....
If you are downshifting to slow down, effectively you are braking with only 2 wheels.
It's not like somehow by using the engine to slow down you have increased the traction your tires offer.
There is one exception. If you are driving a RWD. In which case you can slow down without consuming the limited traction your turning wheels might have, allowing you more of the traction of the front wheels to maneuver.

If you have a FWD, you're better off using your brakes to slow down, rather than compression braking.
In any car, you're better off braking than downshifting, brakes are cheaper and easier to change than clutches.

That said, I have 2 cars, the golf which is an automatic, and the 951 which is a standard.
If I am not going to get food or anything, I prefer to drive the standard almost any day. I always feel like I am riding the brakes so much in the golf, because I only ever touch them in the 951 when I am coming to a stop. That thing has great compression braking, from redline to 800rpm. The golf tends to stop slowing down at around 1200-1300rpm (perhaps because it has the slushbox?).

95EagleAWD
05-02-2006, 08:05 PM
How is this even a question?

Autos are for girls. :rofl:

Seriously, though, I'll never buy an auto unless it's a truck or minivan. And even then, I've driven a 5-speed Caravan and just bagged the shit out of it.

Manuals are way more fun, and you just have to get used to them. Go practice in a parking lot for an hour, then giv'er!

shawtie
05-02-2006, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

I would drive a standard....if I knew how lol
anyone give lessons?? :rofl:

MaDpOo
05-02-2006, 08:34 PM
basily you guys are all saying that auto's are for lazy ppl -.- haha and manual's are for ppl to look cool / control and bla bla bla =) thats the point i get it...

not much good about the auto O.o if ur not lazy

snowcatxx87
05-02-2006, 08:41 PM
Look Cool?

Yeah right - Number one thing is FUN.

vietdood
05-02-2006, 09:22 PM

automatics can downshift too. just pull it into 2 or L and you don't need to worry about a clutch. i downshifted all the time in winter when coming to a stop with ice with my accord. saved my ass plenty of times.

kenny
05-02-2006, 09:23 PM
I would say a large group of people on here drive manuals not because of control, or whatever, its simply because its "cool". Performance is brought up alot on here, but for most cars the difference between auto and manual are negligible.

Look at the list of "benefits" of a manual transmission that have appeared in this thread and other threads asking the same question. It is ridiculous.

I think the only valid argument (again for the most part!) is the fun factor.

BlueFrenzy
05-02-2006, 09:39 PM
I say manual not only because it's fun but because it'll prevent you from talking on the phone, eating, applying makeup, etc (like Canadian Hustla said), resulting in accidents. I don't know the stats or anything but I have an inkling that people who are getting in accidents and doing the above, are likely in automatics.

Oh if you're getting a sports car, you have to do manual otherwise no fun. That's one pet peev I have, some of those high end luxury sports cars ONLY come in shiftable autos (aka fake manual) WTF! Make it an option!

MaDpOo
05-02-2006, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by vietdood

automatics can downshift too. just pull it into 2 or L and you don't need to worry about a clutch. i downshifted all the time in winter when coming to a stop with ice with my accord. saved my ass plenty of times.

i agree! :rolleyes:
all about fun

95EagleAWD
05-02-2006, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by BlueFrenzy
I say manual not only because it's fun but because it'll prevent you from talking on the phone, eating, applying makeup, etc (like Canadian Hustla said), resulting in accidents. I don't know the stats or anything but I have an inkling that people who are getting in accidents and doing the above, are likely in automatics.

What?

I ate in my Talon all the time. It's not hard to do at all. The only reason I don't do it in the NSX is because it doesn't have cupholders.

Your stats will be quite flawed, because over 95% of the cars out on the road are autos.

Chester
05-02-2006, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by gp36912
though ive tried the smg gearbox in the mazda6, its actually pretty good, it still saps power but you do get quite a little bit more control over shifts etc.

SMG transmissions are in BMW's, not Mazda's.

Manual gets my vote.

euro_racer
05-02-2006, 10:17 PM
i like manual more and soo far all my cars have been manual, but currently own a auto :banghead:

manual is fun and i preffer it more but autos usualy go trough new brakes more than manuals, were the standards have to change brakes not so often but clutches every now and then aswell

MaDpOo
05-02-2006, 10:22 PM
mazda 3 has the up and down shifter with the auto im not sure which one but i know it does cuz i own one =)

RiceCake
05-02-2006, 10:53 PM
I perfer manual, but some of the newer auto's are actually getting quite nice.

The DSG tranny is a lot of fun :thumbsup:

Vagabond142
05-02-2006, 11:33 PM
I've done a lot of reviews for this board (on my own time) and I always always ALWAYS go for the manual if at all possible. Why? Driving feel, plain and simple. Sure, manuals are a lot more fun, and you can do downshift braking without worrying about exploding your torque converter (unless you do a really pisspoor downshift).

What I get with a manual (at least in my car) are "four points of contact" with driving, versus just two in an auto. These four points are:

Two common to both manuals and autos:

1) Ass: tells you what the car is doing under you, and your body is amazingly sensitive to small shifts in direction and weight, so you can feel what's happening. This point of contact is usually associated with a good suspension setup

2) Steering wheel: Tells you what the road is like under the front wheels (if in a good car), lets you feel the apex on a racing circuit, gives you information about what the car is doing.

On a manual only:

3) Shifter feel: In most cars, you can feel vibrations through the shifter. Some cars these days deaden it down a bit for "Comfort reasons," but I like my shifter to shake, wobble, vibrate and give me the information I want about what the engine is doing at any given instant.

4) Clutch feel: Lets you vary the engagement of the engine to the gearbox. For example, if you're wanting a comfortable, smooth ride, you let the clutch out a little slower while adding power a little slower. Smooth shift, nice drive. If you're going balls-to-the-wall, then it's snap shifting with very fast clutch movements. Plus, the clutch, if your foot rests on it but doesn't push on it, will give you even MORE engine information if it's set up right (cable clutches are very very good for this).

I will admit, I like performance driving. I don't go street racing or any such thing like that, but I like to feel everything going on in a car, I want tactile responses to everything I do to control the car, which is why I love cars with manual steering. They're a bit of a pig at slow speeds, but they just give so much information. Same with a manual. With an automatic, there is just no right hand/left foot input, and it drives me that little bit crazy to not be able to have that direct link to the engine information.

95EagleAWD
05-02-2006, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Vagabond142

which is why I love cars with manual steering. They're a bit of a pig at slow speeds, but they just give so much information.

:werd:

After being without it for a while, anything with power steering in it feels very, very odd now.

gp36912
05-02-2006, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Cheeky

I would drive a standard....if I knew how lol
anyone give lessons?? :rofl:
like i have said before, just get a cheap standard car and i can teach ya :D

Originally posted by Chester

SMG transmissions are in BMW's, not Mazda's.

Manual gets my vote.

ok so its not called the smg but the mazda 6 does have a sport mode in their autos which is basically a sequential shifter

shawtie
05-03-2006, 12:52 AM
Anyone got a cheap ass standard? that needs to be broken?? I can do it im sure!! :P

everyone lways tells me "oh no you dont want to drive stick" OH YES I DO SHUT UP!!! I atleast want to learn how !! then I can make the decision for myself which I like better and what not.

I remeber my first "driving lesson" roomy took me out on the icy roads on the roads outside the city and pulled the e-brake on me and i saved it the first time the the jack ass pulled it again and I smashed the shit outta the car in a ditch LOL I was so upset....but fucking hell...pulling and ebrake on someone who has never driving before???

Vagabond142
05-03-2006, 01:23 AM
Believe me, it takes a *LOT* to kill a manual. My car sure as hell knows, and it didn't break, but it got some very solid bunny hops in at the start of my manual learning period :D Ah well, a year and a half since then and I'm doing double-declutching, heel-toe downshifts and very smooth, fast shifts. It's seriously that easy to learn how to drive a manual. I would be willing to teach you on my own car, I'm that confident in the ease of learning to drive a manual :)

benm
05-03-2006, 01:59 AM

+ less work driving

In Toronto rush hour traffic, manual is easy.... just leave her in neutral and let the pack of sardines just kind of nudge you down the highway :banghead:

rage2
05-03-2006, 09:37 AM
Having ridden with many beyonders at track days, a lot of you have a LOT to learn about manual transmissions. More than 1/2 of the track day guys just doesn't know how to do it properly. Definately buying it for the "cool" factor, like kenny said. And even reading these posts here, there's a huge lack of knowledge on even the basics of a manual transmission.

In winter conditions, you want absolute control of the amount of braking, and anything over like 20% of max braking will create a loss of traction in the snow. How does downshifting help in winter? You're adding engine compression braking into the equation, so when you're off the brakes, your engine is compression braking. If it's slippery enough, the engine braking alone would cause a differential in wheel speed vs road speed, causing you to lose traction. Sure your tires aren't locked, but all of a sudden, until the speeds synch back up, the driven wheels has no control. Until you clutch to disengage the engine, in which case, your theory of manual is better just went out the window.

So what you're telling me is you'd rather wear out your engine and clutch more than to wear out your brakes? When did replacement engines and clutches get cheaper than a brake job? Your brakes are there for a reason. TO HELP YOU STOP. That's what they're there for. Why people don't use them, I'll never understand. I guess it sounds cooler. See "cool factor" above.

And that can't be done with an auto? Last time I drove an auto, 5% throttle, it'll short shift, full throttle, it'll shift at redline.

Again, use your brakes! The only time you want to downshift quickly along with braking is at the track. And that's to setup for the next corner so you're in the right gear to accelerate immediately. What in the world do u need to downshift and be in 1st gear for when you're coming to a stop??? Stop with the brakes like a normal person would, when you're ready to go, throw it in first!

If you dunno how to use brakes (assuming no ABS) where you lock them up, it'll lock with an auto AND a manual. Downshifting will make it worse by adding engine compression to braking (see my explaination above). Except in a manual, when you lock up your drive wheels your engine stops running. It doesn't in an auto.
After being without it for a while, anything with power steering in it feels very, very odd now.
Why people think doing things the hard way is the right way, I'll never get it. The faster you drive, the more physical driving without power steering gets. Having driven back to back at the track with power steering then without when the PS belt failed, I can tell you that after 3 laps without PS, I was drenched in sweat and had to stop because I was going to pass out. It's simply impossible unless you're a pro athelete. Either that or I'm really outta shape (entirely possible).

Pretty much all race cars have power steering these days. Hell, LeMans racers have air conditioning now too. To drive consistent, the driver must be comfortable. So ya, power steering makes you a BETTER driver.

snade831
05-03-2006, 10:57 AM
A few years ago my mother told me a study was done on people who drive automatic vs manual and concluded that those who drive manual are, on average, 10 lbs less than those who drive automatic... :dunno:
Hahaha... so I guess that pretty much answers your question.

Ashkente
05-03-2006, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Why people think doing things the hard way is the right way, I'll never get it. The faster you drive, the more physical driving without power steering gets. Having driven back to back at the track with power steering then without when the PS belt failed, I can tell you that after 3 laps without PS, I was drenched in sweat and had to stop because I was going to pass out. It's simply impossible unless you're a pro athelete. Either that or I'm really outta shape (entirely possible).

Pretty much all race cars have power steering these days. Hell, LeMans racers have air conditioning now too. To drive consistent, the driver must be comfortable. So ya, power steering makes you a BETTER driver.

I say it depends. Non-power rack and a belt-disabled PS rack are very different. Namely you're not fighting fluid that should be circulating in a real non-power rack. I find it to be no difference unless parking, and having a tendency to overreact (granted I drive non-PS 80% of the time). Steering is pretty heavy at low speeds on an FR/FF car but lightens up significantly when you start to move. So essentially, if you don't drysteer(!!!), should be pretty much the same...just with the better "feel."

GTS Jeff
05-03-2006, 12:14 PM
The debate about performance of manuals vs. automatics can go on for a long time, but the performance difference in a street driven application is negligible.

What really matters, and what cannot be disputed is that manual is way more FUN than automatic. The only time it wouldn't be more fun is if you A. suck at driving or B. don't care. If you can tell me with a straight face that you don't care about having fun in a car, then you shouldn't be on this forum.

JspecB16
05-03-2006, 12:28 PM

:werd:

I second that motion.

Bill Cosby
05-03-2006, 12:33 PM
Manual

Automatic
+ no clutch to fix
+ less work driving

lol at hold girlfriends hand

and lol at foot falling asleep

gp36912
05-03-2006, 12:50 PM
the only reason i am not driving manual atm is because my left ankle is messed up and i can't use the clutch properly. so i am driving a auto. i still have a lot to learn about driving the manual tranny car around, and its problably gotten worse because my left foot has been out of commision for a year or so. as for powersteering vs no powersteering, you do get better feel for what the car is doing without it, but depending onthe size, weight of the car. it gets to be a burdon sometimes. during autocross, and street driving its pretty rough at points.

Vagabond142
05-03-2006, 01:11 PM

I wouldn't say power steering makes for a BETTER driver... just a less sweaty one. Better driving comes from skill, not from some little pumps around a gearing system that is attached to the wheel axles. I prefer manual steering because I have not yet met a power steering system that will feed me as much information as a manual system. The Honda S2000 and the Mazda MX-5 come really close, but still can't match the feel I get from a bottom-of-the-line 1990 Honda Civic. Scary as it is, I just get so much more information from the manual steering in my lil Honda :angel:

FatboyTheHungry
05-03-2006, 01:43 PM
+1 for manual. Why? Fun factor :D

liquidboi69
05-03-2006, 02:05 PM
Auto vs Std in section 6
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_transmission#Comparison_with_automatic_transmissions

Dren
05-03-2006, 02:54 PM
How is this even a question?

A gal that can drive a stick..!! :) the best.

LilDrunkenSmurf
05-03-2006, 03:41 PM
+1 for Manual

Mar
05-03-2006, 04:13 PM
If your battery or starter die, you can still start your car on the clutch.

MaDpOo
05-03-2006, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by liquidboi69
Auto vs Std in section 6
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_transmission#Comparison_with_automatic_transmissions

that explains it all thx -.- :thumbsup:

95EagleAWD
05-04-2006, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Dren

A gal that can drive a stick..!! :) the best.

I was only kidding.

Why people think doing things the hard way is the right way, I'll never get it.

Never said it was "the right way." I simply said, that after driving around in the NSX for a few weeks now, using a manual steering rack and having some extremely good road feel, I find power steering to feel odd. Once the wheels are rolling, I find a manual rack quite easy to drive.

And yes, good Lord, is it a workout on the track. I was tired after one auto-x run on Sunday, and am looking forward to how tired I'm going to be spending the whole day out there.

Personally, why do I drive a stick? It's more fun, plain and simple. I picked my car to drive, not to ride around in, and I feel that a stick is simply a better tool for spirited driving.