PDA

View Full Version : annoying driving habits

bonedavid
05-03-2006, 08:22 PM
use this thread to let loose your rants concerning modern drivers and what gets on your nerves when driving.

for me being a truck driver i have the following rants....
1..roundabouts...why cant people learn to use them correctly

2..indicators..they are there to inform other road users of your intentions...we are not all mind readers

3..parking too near a junction..i swear one of these days i'll just take out someones car parked on a corner thus making it impossible for me to manouver my truck

these are just a few...i'm sure you guys (& gals) over in canada can add some more...............

MudCrawler
05-03-2006, 08:29 PM
1. Unfortunatly, we dont have many roundabouts here, in fact off the top of my head i can only think of about five. But i must say, for how few we have, people generally use them quite well here.

2. HUGE problem here. Too much crap going on inside of the persons car for them to even give half a shit about usin indicators.

3. Unlike where you live, we dont generally have Full size trucks (Semi-Trucks) within residential areas, other than downtown of course. But my problem with people parking too close to a junction is that i cant see left or right while stopped.

bonedavid
05-03-2006, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by MudCrawler
1. Unfortunatly, we dont have many roundabouts here, in fact off the top of my head i can only think of about five.

:eek: only 5:eek:
off the top of my head there are over 30 within 5 miles of me.

you lucky sods:D

MudCrawler
05-03-2006, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by bonedavid

:eek: only 5:eek:
off the top of my head there are over 30 within 5 miles of me.

you lucky sods:D

lucky? hah, i find them quite useful. I actually just returned home from your neck of the woods, and i loved everything about england EXCEPT the road systems. Your roads just get more and more busy i hear!

shawtie
05-03-2006, 08:42 PM
Same thread in the general car/bike talk , that you made ! LOL

01RedDX
05-03-2006, 08:46 PM

Kobe
05-03-2006, 08:50 PM
we have 2 small roundabouts in signal hill, then another 2 in spring bank..

People know how to drive them.. Also one in Mckenzie

shakalaka
05-03-2006, 08:52 PM
No way those freaking roundabouts are useful! They are annoying as well! When I moved here in Scotland from Canada and came around a freaking round about almost every damn block, it pissed me right off! I like our Canadian roads system SOOOO MUCH better compared to UK.

frostyda9
05-03-2006, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Kobe
Also one in Mckenzie

People generally know how to use it, but I see a lot of people mistakes. Mistake 1: travalling more than one exit around the outside of the circle. Mistake 2: failing to yield to someone who is on the inside of the traffic circle already. If someone is tralelling on the inside of the circle, they don't have to yield to anyone.

If we could just get people to do this, is would work very well:

People on the inside exit to the left lane. People entering the circle who are using the next exit (ie Prestwick Blvd to McKenzie Towne Blvd) would not have to stop and wait for the vehicle in the inside to see whether he will exit left lane or right lane. Every morning I have to sit there and wait just to make sure someone doesn't cut across and exit to the right lane (which lots do, to get into the Deerfoot north lane).

BlackArcher101
05-03-2006, 10:52 PM
My annoying driving habit....

I HATE when people coast to a red light. I've actually been able to pass a car that's braking for a red, and stop in front of him, before he even stops behind me.

snowcatxx87
05-03-2006, 11:29 PM
I love going around in cirlces in a round a bout lol

DJ Lazy
05-03-2006, 11:40 PM
I wish we had Roundabouts at every intersection in Calgary.. :rofl: They are SOOOO fucking easy to use..

BerserkerCatSplat
05-03-2006, 11:49 PM
Yeah, I actually like roundabouts. Combine roundabouts with the Canadian grid system, it would be excellent!

bonedavid
05-04-2006, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Cheeky
Same thread in the general car/bike talk , that you made ! LOL

:repost: ooops...sorry about that...not intentional i assure you.

must be getting senile:D

bonedavid
05-04-2006, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by MudCrawler

lucky? hah, i find them quite useful. I actually just returned home from your neck of the woods, and i loved everything about england EXCEPT the road systems. Your roads just get more and more busy i hear!

yes..toooo busy by half...me being a truck driver the roads are my place of work...if i drive my truck into london your looking at an average spped of 5mph:eek:

Vagabond142
05-05-2006, 02:45 AM
There are at least 15 roundabouts in Calgary, with a very high number of those being in that area West of Elbow Drive between Glenmore and 17th ave SW. I drive a lot in there, as there are a lot of ULS customers there, I sometimes even take Big Bertha in there (our massive watering truck that has a GVW of 15,000 lbs on average :P).

But, what annoys me is when I'm driving the very heavy and very big watering truck and I leave myself a good braking distance because I can't exactly stop on a dime and people will dive into the braking space when I'm slowing down for a red.

I also really hate how people here, when you signal to change lanes, will race forward to CLOSE the gap that you would be merging into instead of letting you in :whipped:

Audio_Rookie
05-06-2006, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101
I HATE when people coast to a red light. I've actually been able to pass a car that's braking for a red, and stop in front of him, before he even stops behind me.

While I agree its kinda annoying.....dosnt it make sense to slow down before the light? Ideally it would be best to slown down to a speed where you can travel the same speed to the light, and it will turn green as you get there....so you dont have to waste all that energy in stopping and accelerating back to full speed again.

YCB
05-06-2006, 01:27 AM
under confident drivers... esp. in the NE... maybe cuz the NE is made up of chinese and brown people :nut:

Calgaryscot
01-09-2014, 12:55 PM
I will probably get pelters for this but here goes :-)

On traffic circles or roundabouts, they are the best thing ever to keep traffic moving if used, and more importantly, designed properly.

Lets take the one in McKenzie Towne for example!

The idea that only the first exit should use the right lane is not good, one lane for one exit while four (if you count doubling back) exits share the other lane; how does that help traffic flow???

Exiting from the inside is another bad idea, unless both lanes are exiting on to a two lane road. Would you turn right from the left lane on any other road??? Try turning right from any other two lane road from the left lane and see what happens!

A roundabout is just an intersection that happens to have a circle in the middle after all so it shouldn't be approached differently.

The signs with the arrows on both approaches from McKenzie Towne Blvd CLEARLY show that if going straight through i.e. continuing on McKenzie Towne Blvd, then BOTH lanes can be used, prepare for a torrent of abuse if you do this coming West from the uneducated though. Do the same coming from the East and it's accepted, same signage, different reactions from drivers, not sure why??

I grew up and drove for many years in a country that has them at every junction so I have driven a few in my time and have witnessed how they can improve traffic flow greatly, when used to maximise the flow and not hinder as this one seems to do.

I welcome constructive healthy debate on this subject :-)

Disoblige
01-09-2014, 12:58 PM
Lol, the only "pelters" you'll get is for bumping an almost 8 year old thread and not using this one created in December :P

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/377154/inexplicable-driving-habits-/

l/l/rX
01-09-2014, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Audio_Rookie

While I agree its kinda annoying.....dosnt it make sense to slow down before the light? Ideally it would be best to slown down to a speed where you can travel the same speed to the light, and it will turn green as you get there....so you dont have to waste all that energy in stopping and accelerating back to full speed again.

I can agree with you on this, but, what really pisses me off is when everyone around you is stopped including the car in front of you, but the car in front of you has left a 2-3 car gap and they just slooooooooowly creep and then that leaves 2-3 car gap in front of yourself.

Hallowed_point
01-09-2014, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by l/l/rX
I can agree with you on this, but, what really pisses me off is when everyone around you is stopped including the car in front of you, but the car in front of you has left a 2-3 car gap and they just slooooooooowly creep and then that leaves 2-3 car gap in front of yourself.

x1000..there is a big difference between someone moving once after the car behind them as stopped and the annoying 1 km/hr creep because they left a 3 car gap. Always the automatic tranny drivers I'd bet haha.

speedog
01-09-2014, 01:42 PM
So amusing - two threads now going on driving habits. Too cool Calgaryscot.

Tomaz
01-09-2014, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by frostyda9

People generally know how to use it, but I see a lot of people mistakes. Mistake 1: travalling more than one exit around the outside of the circle.

Ummm, hate to point this out, but you can travel all the way around the outside circle, so long as you yield to the inside lane.

So my biggest hatred for traffic circles is that even people who believe they are in the right are actually in the wrong. Then on top of that, the government revises the signage and rules to individual traffic circles just to confuse ppl even more!

I want to keep a large stack of driving education books in my car so I can hand them out to idiots I find on the roads.

snoop101
01-10-2014, 09:49 AM
I worked downtown for just about a year and took the crappy train. Now that im driving to work its amazing how many Calgarians should not be on the road. Also I find so many that just could care less about others.

When im the first one at a light and someone is trying to turn right I pull ahead. Its not very hard and sometimes can let like 2-3 vehicles go on their way. Same goes for people that block left hand turn lanes. MOVE UP you can fit another car in there.

Those two things are probably my most annoying driving habits that I see from others.

One thing I do find is that 80% of the people that drive on the new ring road actually move over when they see people coming in the far left lane. Imagine that, people actually obeying the law.

Canada in general just needs better driving education. The law itself is not the issue, since basic stuff like driving under the speed limit in the left lane is ignored by the police. We need a better system like Europe where getting a drivers license is like going to college. I loved driving in Germany and France. In Germany everyone knows how to drive and Obey the law. In france you have like 5 lights in the whole country (haha seriously though right roads are amazing)

Tezzating
01-10-2014, 12:20 PM
Slow drivers in the left lanes. I dont mean the guy doing the limit and are overtaking a slower a car, I mean the ones doing 20 or more under the posted limit and hold up traffic.
And I agree with everything OP said.

While I'm at it, when someones being pulled over by the cops and they stop in the middle of the road instead of proceeding to the nearest side street or parking lot. Which is a lot safer for the cop, the offender and not hold up traffic. Dont worry people, the nice police man will follow you :banghead:

snoop101
01-10-2014, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Tezzating

While I'm at it, when someones being pulled over by the cops and they stop in the middle of the road instead of proceeding to the nearest side street or parking lot. Which is a lot safer for the cop, the offender and not hold up traffic. Dont worry people, the nice police man will follow you :banghead:

Yes!! OMG the people that get into a fender bender where you cant even see any paint on the bumper, but yet they stop in the left hand lane during rush hour to chit chat.

Years ago in Kelowna I got hit by a jacked up 4x4 and caused a 5 car pile up. We all moved into the hotel parking lot min later. Police and fire truck all did there stuff there. No need to hold up everyone.

Zero102
01-10-2014, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Tezzating
Slow drivers in the left lanes. I dont mean the guy doing the limit and are overtaking a slower a car, I mean the ones doing 20 or more under the posted limit and hold up traffic.
And I agree with everything OP said.

Flip side of this - I was pulled over by a cop on my way home one night. I was on country hills where it was about 1km before the next intersection. As soon as I pulled on to country hills the cop threw his lights on and pulled in behind me, I moved right and carried on to the next side street and pulled over there (indicating to him what I was doing). When the cop got to my window he gave me proper shit for not pulling over the second he turned his lights on. Told me it was his decision to pull me over there and I should stop right away, HE will make the call about where it is safe.

I was being pulled over for having lights out on a trailer I was pulling, I felt it was not exactly the sort of thing that had to be handled that second given that he had already been following me for 2-3 minutes.

Dumbass17
01-10-2014, 04:03 PM
i have one from this morning
i wanted to turn right at a stop sign. the two cars in front of me parked half in the lane to turn right and half in the lane to turn left. so they had to sit and wait to turn left for ages til there was a break in traffic prevented me from turning right.:banghead:

lilmira
01-10-2014, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Zero102

Told me it was his decision to pull me over there and I should stop right away, HE will make the call about where it is safe.

Slam on the brakes next time. :rofl:

batool100
01-20-2014, 04:18 AM
driving for miles with your turn signals on when you aren't going to turn, or already did and just don't turn them off - drives me batty