PDA

View Full Version : Going for the Gold

hjr
03-29-2003, 07:07 PM
OK, so im getting my liscense finally. What is involved??? I heard that you write a test then do a road test later (or after). is this the case? What does the road test involve?

Im gonna be using a 650 KLR, if that really makes a difference.

LaughingTiger
03-29-2003, 07:32 PM
It's not that hard..I just went and got mine.... good luck..!

hjr
03-30-2003, 03:03 AM
thanks.

girl
04-19-2003, 02:12 AM
ya does anyone know what all u have to do on the test?
oh and when u take the lessons and they do the test on the last day of lessons.....do u have to do the test on the street too, or just in the parking lot? well the lessons really doesn't have anything to do with it, but i heard that if have ur class 5 u didn't have to do the on street just the skills in teh parking lot or whatever...that would be stupid, but good for the lack of test and quickness.....but still stupid.

CLiVE
04-19-2003, 02:18 AM
I did a road test, the showed me the route and then followed me in a car. (be sure to turn your head a lot so they can see which way you're looking on uncontrolled intersections, etc. ) Then we went back to a parking lot, and I had to drive around pylons etc. Very easy test. For part of the road test the also made me show them how to park the bike on a hill, etc.

hjr
04-20-2003, 03:21 PM
how do you park a bike on a hill? sideways?

sml
04-20-2003, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by hjr
how do you park a bike on a hill? sideways?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahaaaaaaaaa!!! Sorry, I can't help myself... :rofl:

prosh
04-21-2003, 10:34 PM
If you don't have your class 5, they want you to do a road test... They map out the route and follow you in a car. If you have your class 6, you're required to write a written exam at any registry depot.

As for the skills test, its a set of 8 mini-obsticles which involve slow speed manuvering. You get 3 attempts at each with a maximum of 12 attempts in total before you get a big fat fail.

Another option is a place called Foothills Driving Academy but I'm not sure who's doing their riders training course this year. If you can, try to get a guy named Thor, he's funny as hell and a good instructor.

Corrado1.8T
04-21-2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by prosh
If you can, try to get a guy named Thor, he's funny as hell and a good instructor. [/B]

for real, thor is the shit. he basicly teaches you the test for 5 days. :thumbsup:

hjr
04-22-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by sml

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahaaaaaaaaa!!! Sorry, I can't help myself... :rofl: hahahahahaahahahah. fizuck yizou. its a simple question. can you answere it, or are you going to continue to be a douch bag.

hjr
04-22-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by prosh
If you don't have your class 5, they want you to do a road test... They map out the route and follow you in a car. If you have your class 6, you're required to write a written exam at any registry depot.

As for the skills test, its a set of 8 mini-obsticles which involve slow speed manuvering. You get 3 attempts at each with a maximum of 12 attempts in total before you get a big fat fail.

Another option is a place called Foothills Driving Academy but I'm not sure who's doing their riders training course this year. If you can, try to get a guy named Thor, he's funny as hell and a good instructor. thanks for the info. The training school is not applicable as im in edmonton, but thanks anyways. 1 question. when you said what is italicized. did you actually mean class 5? cause if i had the 6, i wouldnt be asking how to get it.

prosh
04-22-2003, 01:21 PM
hahahahha, yeah.. If you already have your class 5, you only need to do the written and skills test to get class 6.

girl
04-22-2003, 07:56 PM
that's sweet! to get ur class 6 license is the minimum age just 16 or is it 18? :dunno:

sml
04-23-2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by hjr
hahahahahaahahahah. fizuck yizou. its a simple question. can you answere it, or are you going to continue to be a douch bag.

My bad dude... my bad... but like i said, I couldn't help it at the moment, it was just too funny!!! I dunno anything about bikes, BUT I would *GUESS* that you'd probably park a bike EXACTLY the same way you'd park a car on a hill... and in case you don't have your class 5 learner's book with you, that'd be with the front wheel turned so that it can back up against the curb and prevent the car/bike from rolling backwards while it's parked. If you park your bike sidewards on a hill only one thing's gonna happen: FLOP! BOOM! CRY... While we're at it, what is a "douch bag" anyways, is that what you use on yourself when you're alone at home??? :dunno:

hjr
04-23-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by sml
While we're at it, what is a "douch bag" anyways, is that what you use on yourself when you're alone at home??? :dunno: Ya, pretty much. ;)

Khyron
05-23-2003, 12:39 AM
Take the 2 day drivers ed for bikes. It will save your ass.

Khyron

Shaolin
05-23-2003, 12:54 AM
If you take a course then you're lookin at 4 hours of In-Class instructions (pretty boring), then about 18 hours on the bike.. You have to have your learners before you can be on the road with the instructor for the road ride.. After the 18 hours on the bike you'll get your bike test on the spot.. It's 8 tests (I think i don't remember, it's been a while)

1. Straight line idle speed test
2. Circle test
3. Shifting while turning test
4. Serpentine Slalom test
5. 90 degree turns while shifting up and down gear test
6. Collision Avoidance test
7. Uphill Stop and start test

I'm almost certain there's 1 more, but i don't remember.

hope that helps.

Khyron
05-23-2003, 10:08 AM
The speed braking test?

Khyron

kevie88
05-23-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Khyron
The speed braking test?

Khyron

heh.. The "Rolling Stoppie" test

RiCE-DaDDy
05-24-2003, 04:45 PM
the skills test is easy, but most most people are still not as ready as they should be for the road, just after getting the class 6 that is.