PDA

View Full Version : BMW ///M Roadster.... over-rated?

Drsuce
05-03-2006, 09:14 PM
has anyone acctualy driven one of these? on their comercal they claim 330HP. wow! sounds fast...

however after finaly getting to tango with one in my *STOCK* cobra, i dont see how it could be 330HP! maybe the guy couldent drive for shit? all in all 3 runs later, i pulled a consistant 1.5-3 cars per gear. there is absolutly no way that my 3800lb 305hp cobra could walk over what i'd assume to be a much lighter 330hp car.

i can only think of a few things...

A) torqueless wonder like the s2000 (no offence)
B) the guy *really* cant drive
C) BMW considerably over rated the power (i know my cobra would be *extremly* lucky to put 280 to the wheels)
D) the guy was out for a leisurely 0-200kph stop and go drive...

any oppinions from somone who owns/ has driven this car? or maybe a dyno or somthin?

P.S. this was *not* on public streets...

habsfan
05-03-2006, 09:21 PM
depending on the year of the car it could have had as low as 240hp, or if it was 2002 or up it would have 315hp and 251lb-ft. the newest generation based on the Z4 has 343hp and 296lb-ft. these are the factory ratings, i have no idea what kind of dyno numbers they'd pull. maybe you ran against a pre 2002 with 240hp?:dunno:

Tuner1
05-03-2006, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Drsuce

B) the guy *really* cant drive

Almost without a doubt B.....or maybe E) the car is new and he is sticking to the "break-in" redline, in which case it is probably only making ~250hp by 5500rpm.

Rob

Drsuce
05-03-2006, 09:25 PM
it definitly had ///M badging..... i dont know alot about bimmers tho :)

i work next to the bmw dealership in crowfoot... looked identical to all the new ones flying around their lot....

pretty sure it wasent an older Z4 tho

habsfan
05-03-2006, 09:29 PM
did it look like this
http://www.theautochannel.com/cybercast/laautoshow98/images/bmw_m_roadster.jpg

or this
http://news.caradisiac.com/IMG/jpg/BMW-Z4-M-1.jpg

Drsuce
05-03-2006, 09:31 PM
yah, i couldent hear how high he as revving.... even stock the snake is pretty loud :/

if he was goin easy on it, i'd love to see how it would have ended goin full out ;)

its hard to find a fair battle these days.... i <3 a good close race ;)

Drsuce
05-03-2006, 09:32 PM
botom pic for sure... the top one is a z3 is it not?

habsfan
05-03-2006, 09:33 PM
it's the previous gen m roadster, based on z3. much like the current new one is based on the z4.

Drsuce
05-03-2006, 09:36 PM
so the z4 is 315 hp and the M is 343?

habsfan
05-03-2006, 09:38 PM
no...Z4 has 225hp, M has 343

Drsuce
05-03-2006, 09:46 PM
i see :P

guess next time i'll have to stop and ask :P

FatboyTheHungry
05-03-2006, 10:24 PM
The Z4 comes in a few different flavors:

2.5L 184hp (last year)
3.0L 225hp (last year)

This year:
3.0i 215hp
3.0si 255hp

New M Roadster is 330hp according to BMW.ca (http://www.bmw.ca/com/en/index_highend.html?prm_content=../../com/en/newvehicles/mseries/_highend/xml/overview.xml)

C4S
05-03-2006, 10:32 PM
They only came out for 1 month ..

I bet none of them have done the 2000km break in yet ..

Or .. the fact is ..

Why does someone drive a new BMW race with a 10 yr old mustang ?? ( I dont mean to offence .. um .. )

I could make a post say " Ferrari F430 is over rated --> My 15 yr old prelude beated a F430 ..... " :dunno: :dunno:

Remember one time, a member made a post .. said his old prelude beat a new Porsche ?? :dunno:

tsi_neal
05-03-2006, 10:37 PM
Kinda curious did the guy driving it look like a stuck up suit... with a bit of an attitude?
And yup i feel those cars leave alot to be desired as well...

IntegraG2
05-03-2006, 10:56 PM
the car is pretty quick.....i would say it is way faster than an E46 M3....i have driven both many times since i work at Calgary BMW....i love the roadster.....the new M coupe is gonna be nuts though....cant wait to take that beast for a rip

Les

Drsuce
05-04-2006, 12:28 AM
the car had limo tint :P i couldent see shit :P

im also not saying my 10yr old mustang is the ultimate driving machine... i just expected a new bimmer to have more jam *shrug*

blinkme_210
05-04-2006, 12:48 AM
Are you sure you even saw the MZ4? The only noticeable difference besides the M badge on the back/side is the front bumper - which I doubt you got a good gander at.

Drsuce
05-04-2006, 12:52 AM
wasent payin attention to his bumper :P sorry heh...

thought i saw an m badge on it tho....
*shrug* maybe i will run into him again :P

C4S
05-04-2006, 11:56 AM
there are tons of 318i or 320i with M Badge too .. $ 10 each from ebay ....

Tinted window on a roadster? I never saw such a silly set up ..

Could it be a normal Z4 with 184 HP .. and just add M badge?? I saw few of them like that .. :dunno:

Check it out next time .. if you see 4 big exhaust pipes .. then it is the REAL //M Roadster! :D

I also see a lots of normal C class with amg sticker too .. :bigpimp:

me&you
05-04-2006, 01:16 PM
I have extensively driven a 06 M Roadster and there is no way he was pushing the car.

A friend of mine also has a 96 Mustang Cobra with some mods (don't know or care what). The M Roadster would walk all over his car.

The car is not a "torque-less wonder" and pulls well in all gears. I didn't get to really push the car though... pesky break-in period.

me&you
05-04-2006, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by blinkme_210
Are you sure you even saw the MZ4? The only noticeable difference besides the M badge on the back/side is the front bumper - which I doubt you got a good gander at.

Then there's the wheels, tail lights, rear-tire width and exhaust... all things he should've been able to see at some point.

C4S
05-04-2006, 04:25 PM
what Colour u saw?

The first shipment of the M Roadster to Calgary was last week of March, 4 of them, 1 black, 1 silver, 1 red, 1 blue, they all sold unit.
Second shipment was last week of April, but those cars are probaby not on the road yet .. :dunno:

Anyway, I am possitive that you saw a NON M car with //M sticker.

:)

snowcatxx87
05-04-2006, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by me&amp;you

Then there's the wheels, tail lights, rear-tire width and exhaust... all things he should've been able to see at some point.

Then there is a different body, ride height, mirrors (exterior and interior), badging, fenders (arches).....

C4S
05-04-2006, 06:33 PM
This is how the Real M Roadster look like ..

http://static.flickr.com/50/139423305_2886e5efb3_o.jpg

blinkme_210
05-05-2006, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by me&amp;you

I myself can instantly spot the difference between a MZ4 or regular old Z4. The problem with this thread is, he's not a BMW fanatic or doesn't follow up with BMW... so he's not even sure he raced a MZ4.

tsi_neal
05-05-2006, 07:44 AM
What i find funny is the M car fanboys refuse to believe that a mustang could possibly be faster... I say get over it because there is ALWAYS someone faster. Hell im sure if i told my story some of you guys would be calling bullshit on me as well :rolleyes:

habsfan
05-05-2006, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by tsi_neal
What i find funny is the M car fanboys refuse to believe that a mustang could possibly be faster... I say get over it because there is ALWAYS someone faster. Hell im sure if i told my story some of you guys would be calling bullshit on me as well :rolleyes:

probably because a STOCK 96 cobra is not faster than a STOCK M roadster with both being driven by capable drivers.

C4S
05-05-2006, 09:29 AM
:dunno: :dunno:

And again .. M car, Ferrari, Porsche etc .. they are not just built for straight line speed .. they are not muscle cars ... or AMG ... not just for straight roads .. ;)

When I had my E36 M3 many years ago, I did race with Corbra .. Camaro SS ( or whatever, long time ago .. ) etc I was impressed that on stright road, those cars were fast .. but in corners .. um ... :dunno:

Drsuce
05-06-2006, 07:01 PM
thats why i made the thread, i expected it to be faster... from what i saw i thought it was an M.... but who knows? im not a real fan of bimmers :/

cant wait to put in a 4.56 rear end, electric dumps and a lil bit of spray.... this thing scares me as it is :P

its nice to have just a "cruising car" i can put whatever gears i want and dont have to care about fuel econ :P

more to come!

soloracer
05-07-2006, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Drsuce
yah, i couldent hear how high he as revving.... even stock the snake is pretty loud :/

if he was goin easy on it, i'd love to see how it would have ended goin full out ;)

its hard to find a fair battle these days.... i &lt;3 a good close race ;)

I'd be willing to give you a go. I've always wondered how I would compare to the snake. Only thing is it would have to be from a roll. Out of the hole a stock civic pulls on me since I'm not willing to drag launch the clutch. From a roll though it's not too bad. For example, I pulled on a new Maserati coupe the other day. Made my evening :)

I like bimmers but some owners are just like ricers putting M series badges and trim everywhere. Why would anyone want to pretend their car is something that it's not? As you found out it makes it tough to be certain how your car would compare to the real thing.

P.S. Rob, I heard from Paul that he finished your 3 series upgrade. Think you could give our snake friend a run? ;)

three.eighteen.
05-07-2006, 06:09 PM
easiest way to tell if it was an M, 4 tailpipes or no?

Hollywood
05-07-2006, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by tsi_neal

:werd: