PDA

View Full Version : network help

szw
03-29-2003, 10:50 PM
whats the cheapest way to network two windows computers to share DSL access?

Speed isn't a big factor.

Only needs are to share internet and printer, no gaming.

Thanks

bol
03-29-2003, 10:53 PM
a couple network cards and crossover cable and windows built in nat server?

about $40 tops

benyl
03-29-2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by szw
whats the cheapest way to network two windows computers to share DSL access?

Speed isn't a big factor.

Only needs are to share internet and printer, no gaming.

Thanks

You need 3 network cards.

Card number one connect PC #1 (server with Internet connection sharing) to the modem.

Card number two connect PC #1 to PC #2 with card number 3.

If you have more PCs, get a cheap hub and connect them all together.

PM me if you have questions.

Phats
03-29-2003, 11:38 PM
oh whatever, just get a switch or a hub, cost about 40 - 60 bucks and they are super easy to setup

edit: switches are going to give you a faster connection on each but will cost around 60 bucks where as a hub will only cost you 40

benyl
03-29-2003, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by Phats
oh whatever, just get a switch or a hub, cost about 40 - 60 bucks and they are super easy to setup

edit: switches are going to give you a faster connection on each but will cost around 60 bucks where as a hub will only cost you 40

In case you are confused... a switch is a router.

Glowrider
03-30-2003, 12:16 AM
I'd say wireless. Linksys, D-Link, etc...they sell wireless hub's with wireless cards for $80-90 USD.

Plus, later on if you get a laptop, you can sit outside or something and go on the internet.

But if you just wanna be cheap. Get the network cards, cross over cables, connect them all. Form a workgroup using TCP/IP protocol, and enable ICS.

rage2
03-30-2003, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by benyl
In case you are confused... a switch is a router.

A switch is a switch (packets only goes to ports where it's destined for, no collisions), a hub is a hub (packets gets broadcast to all ports) and a router is a router (routes packets to and from 2 segments/ports).

The linksys "routers" are combination NAT routers with a 4 port switch.

Phats
03-30-2003, 01:09 AM
easiest is probably a hub, install the internet setup on your computers and then connect the modem to the hub and your computers to the hub, unless your computers are far apart, then you might want to use a wireless, but that is too expensive if you computers are near each other.

szw
03-30-2003, 01:17 AM
a 10/100 NIC and a crossover cable
So that's just a network card?

So I would need two or three?

The hub sounds good in case another computer is ever added...no need for wireless.

So is there a good brand name/model to look for? Or should they all be roughly equal for the basic needs?

Phats
03-30-2003, 01:32 AM
you can use a hub if you only use computers and then you are already set up if you do get another. Anyway, the network card, you should only need one more if each of your computers is equipped with one already, they are all pretty much the same, cost you about 30 bucks, and then you need some cat 5 cable, ask for straight ethernet cable, don't get crossed ethernet cable. You should get instructions on how to install the card when you buy it, make sure if you do install it yourself you ground yourself when doing it or you will fry the card. Anyway, hope this helps, e-mail me, [email protected], if you have any more questions

TDA
03-30-2003, 03:56 AM
cheapest way? get 2 home phoneline networking cards.. set one computer up to share a network connection..
the 10mbps home phoneline network cards are going for pretty cheap on ebay... $10-20 for a pair...

benyl
03-30-2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by rage2

A switch is a switch (packets only goes to ports where it's destined for, no collisions), a hub is a hub (packets gets broadcast to all ports) and a router is a router (routes packets to and from 2 segments/ports).

The linksys "routers" are combination NAT routers with a 4 port switch.

my bad.

I have never had problems with 3com cards. They are pretty cheap now.

If you use a hub, one of your PC's has to be the server unless you are on TELUS ADSL which allows you 2 ip addresses. If you are on shaw, go with a router or 3 networks cards and a hub.

if you search microsoft.com about internet connection sharing, it should be able to give you a good idea of the set up you need.

if you get a router, it will act as the server (gateway) to the internet. Then you only need 1 network card per pc. It also acts as a firewall making it safer. Connecting directly onto the net is asking for trouble. With a router, you might have a tough time playing online games that don't take routers into account (I just haven't taken the time to figure it out).