PDA

View Full Version : Training for 10K run

CaptainReboot
05-04-2006, 07:54 PM
I will be participating in a corporate 10K run in July.

Does anybody know of a good running path that might be around that distance?

What else should I do to prepare?

ncy_00
05-04-2006, 09:52 PM
hey the ed worthy trail is about 10k depending on which trail you follow. the starting from the edworthy parking lot just off shaganappi, then across the bridge at crowchild then around again is about 7km. hope that helps

CaptainReboot
05-05-2006, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by ncy_00
hey the ed worthy trail is about 10k depending on which trail you follow. the starting from the edworthy parking lot just off shaganappi, then across the bridge at crowchild then around again is about 7km. hope that helps

Forgot about that one. I used to rollerblade down by there. I'll try it this week.

Thanks!

djayz
05-05-2006, 07:46 AM
Start off with stairs as it streghtens your legs for endurance and increases your lung capacity.

Also when you breathe during the day dont breathe with your stomach...pump your chest in and out. Its kind of hard to do when your not paying attention but give it a little concentration and youll get into the routine of using your chest for lung expansion and compression. This helps with increases lung capacity as well.

other than that...i think the trail along the airport is roughly 5km one way startings from mcknight blvd up to the end of path...
or you could take the circle route and go down barlow towards the airport and turn where the car rental places are and follow the road there until you end up near the air museum...that may be 10k.

Anyways good luck with the training. 10k is quite a distance!

Lo)2enz0
05-05-2006, 08:02 AM
run downtown. seriously

ncy_00
05-05-2006, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by djayz
Start off with stairs as it streghtens your legs for endurance and increases your lung capacity.

i dont know if i would start off with stairs as it is targeting more of the fast-twitch muscles, also used in anearobic exercises. what you would want to do in my opinion is simply work up to it, using stairs as a complementary exercise only(as it does help increase lung capacity as djayz said), since your focus for long distance running is more of the long(slow)twitch muscles, which is primarily what you will use in endurance exercises.
I think one week try running 3-5 times/week 5km if youre intermediate already (or more, if youre capable), than add a km every week until you've reached your goal, or adjust your training accordingly to accomodate reaching your goal,atleast a couple of weeks before your run. after that, establish a time that you would like to use as your start point so you know what time youre sitting at or want to beat. and then maybe a week and a half before your actual run, just do short runs, 3x/week maybe fitting in a long run in those three. before the actual run you wanna rest your muscles, your bones/joints and your mind a bit. you dont wanna burn out before you go out. hopefully thats helpful. good luck. i think an average time for 10k is about 1hr to 1hr20min. kick some ass and make sure to let us know how you do.. and your training. and also remember to eat the right foods while you train, your body will need a lot of carbs and protein. well good luck again. hopefully you'll see this (:clap: ) at the finish..hahha:thumbsup:

silverTEG
05-05-2006, 10:51 AM
HIIT or fartlek's will help a great deal too, yes i said fart.

CaptainReboot
05-05-2006, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Lo)2enz0
run downtown. seriously

I was thinking doing that during my lunch hour, but I don't want to come back to the office sweaty.

We don't have showers in our building:thumbsdow

fast95pony
05-08-2006, 10:14 PM
Check out your local Running Room.They have free running groups on Wednesday evenings and Sunday mornings.
Start off running 3-4 K ,and slowly build up the distance. Try and run 3-4 times a week.Remember to stretch and hydrate.Run at a pace where you can still talk and take a few walking breaks if needed.

I'm on my third 10Km Running Room clinic. I was running about 100 kms a month,but that's slowed down over the last few months. I've ran in two 10K races ,and my next race is in a few weeks.I'm slow .My best time is 1hr 15mins.

Good luck !!

crazyning
07-10-2006, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by CaptainReboot
I will be participating in a corporate 10K run in July.

Does anybody know of a good running path that might be around that distance?

What else should I do to prepare?

So, how did the Captain do?

For me, it was my first 10K run also. I started training in about May, and ended up finishing at about 55 minutes. I used to run on the treadmill but that was about it.

Pretty sore today since usually my runs don't have too many large hills...It was damn hot too...

A African set the new course record which was nice to see...

codo
07-10-2006, 04:52 PM
speaking of 10km runs i guess im doing mine aug12...If i can keep the routine going.

Dayclone
07-10-2006, 04:56 PM
Conditioning helps a lot too... just sprint one way and jog back the other do it until you die pretty much.... but you need someone there to keep pushing you trust me it fucking hurts after awhile but it helps a lot, and drink lots of water the day before or keep hydrated so you don't get cramps of stabbing pains.

Steve

fluid
07-10-2006, 07:50 PM
honestly man jus run, bike, do shit loads of cardio

thats the best advice, if your very serious bout this, eat healthy. Get rest, and jus do the basics man.:burnout:

CaptainReboot
07-11-2006, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by crazyning

So, how did the Captain do?

For me, it was my first 10K run also. I started training in about May, and ended up finishing at about 55 minutes. I used to run on the treadmill but that was about it.

Pretty sore today since usually my runs don't have too many large hills...It was damn hot too...

A African set the new course record which was nice to see...

Since it was my first time doing that long of a distance, I was pleased with my time. I finished in 1:09:58. I wanted around the 1 hour mark, but I'm happy with it. I was fine the first half of the race, but once I hit the turnaround and the sun was right in my face, I slowed down a bit.

I also shouldn't have gone to stampede the night before, and only got 2 hours of sleep.

I was really sore yesturday and again today. Great experience though, I hope to do it again next year!

Unknown303
07-11-2006, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Lo)2enz0
run downtown. seriously

I also wouldn't recommend running around all those vehicles as when your breathing harder your just taking in more of that crap air. Not supposed to be the greatest for you.

SI_futbol
07-12-2006, 03:52 PM
do wat my team did for soccer.
go to the calgary curling club on memorial. and theres almost 100m of stairs, take those then run to the center st bridge then take ur first after the bridge, (its like a wheel chair access thing) then run till you see the second bridge turn right and you'll be back at the calgary curling center. we did a couple laps. if you can do 1 with out ever walking 10 k should be a jk.

jus over train abit for the event so it'll be easy.

blue Zed
07-13-2006, 06:55 AM
Try this do your warm up than run 80% of your speed till your breathing hard than slow down to 20% speed till you recover than do the sprint again.

blue Zed
07-13-2006, 06:57 AM
do this untill the end of you run