PDA

View Full Version : Mazda 3 pricing

foos_guy
05-04-2006, 09:38 PM
I've been calling/going to Mazda dealerships in Calgary trying to negotiate a decent price (GT w/ Luxury and GFX pkg).

Every place I've gone to, I've been shot down... they won't even come down one cent! I was just wondering if anyone here have had the same problems or if they've had any success negotiating a decent price.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!:D

CrvenaZvezda
05-04-2006, 10:14 PM
Man a dealership isnt a private sales place, if you go to buy a brand new car and it says 28g on it, there isnt an OBO sign beside that!!!

redevil
05-04-2006, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by CrvenaZvezda
Man a dealership isnt a private sales place, if you go to buy a brand new car and it says 28g on it, there isnt an OBO sign beside that!!!

Sure it is, I would never pay MSRP. There is always markup in a car. Dealerships are privately owned so it all depends how much they are willing to move on the price. Must be nice to be able to pay full price on a new car! Hey man every little bit helps.

foos_guy

try dealerships also in Edmonton.
I was looking for info before on the Mazda 3, check out the post I made.
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=119950

Hope it helps, also find someone with a CarCostCanada account, or just open up an account it has the dealer invoice pricing. It helped me buy my 2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Sport Wagon.

Good Luck!

AndrewMZ3
05-04-2006, 10:27 PM
You can negotiate new cars.

Check out carcostcanada.com

you can get the invoice price for the car and it'll help with your negotiations. Typically with the more things you add, the more you can negotiate off. Which dealerships have you tried?

I bought mine from Kramer and got maybe 1200 or so off MSRP. I hear North Hill's supposed to be pretty decent to. I kinda wish I tried them as well. Best bet is to get the invoice price for the trim you're interested in and then offer 700 or so over that price. The markup on the 3 isn't that large so you don't really have much room to work with to begin with, but you should be able to either get the price down a bit, or get some options added for free.

vietdood
05-04-2006, 10:30 PM

what are you talking about? if it says $28000 MSRP (manufacturer SUGGESTED retail price) doesn't mean you have to pay that price.

If they're not budging on the price, it's probably because they're not taking you seriously. you have to remember that they NEED to sell cars and you don't need to buy from them. sometimes you jsut need to shove some money in their face to show them how serious you are.

xrayvsn
05-04-2006, 10:55 PM

Are you serious?

The MSRP is usually a few thousand over what the dealer invoice is. To that they hit you with freight and "dealer prep". There is definitely wiggle room, unless you are intent on purchasing a car that has very high demand (eg the 06 Civic Si). Then you can expect to pay MSRP.

Buying a car at a dealership is entirely different than going to the Safeway and buying bread.

As others have said, go to carcostcanada.com and find out what the dealer invoice is, then you get an idea of how much negotiating room you have.

redevil
05-04-2006, 11:01 PM

HAHA, I would love to be the sales guy that sell a new car to you!

foos_guy
05-05-2006, 12:13 AM
Thanks for all the advice, truly appreciated!

First, I do have a carcost report and I've brought it with me to the sales guys... even showed it to them to show that I'm not just pully numbers out of my ass.

The results were pretty similar, they claim they don't know where carcost gets the numbers from and basically toss the report aside. The first time I went to Kramer and they wouldn't even make a counter offer even after I raised my initial offer, which was almost $1k over the price from carcost.

Pretty much the same story at Sunridge Mazda, I guess NorthHill will be the next attempt.

Any suggestions from other members would be appreciated!

well.. maybe not advice that suggest I pay the sticker price... :D

Xtrema
05-05-2006, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by redevil
HAHA, I would love to be the sales guy that sell a new car to you!

May be he work for and/or drive a Toyota.

?????
05-05-2006, 09:05 AM
go to www.mazda3forums.com

we're in the prairies secton theres a couple threads on pricing. one of us even works at kramer as sales.

MIWYFSHOTTER
05-05-2006, 05:32 PM
Mazda 3's are not hard to sell and they are in pretty high demand. That is why you probably got shot down. There are plently of other people willing to pay the sticker and maybe get some free stuff thrown in.

carzcraz
05-06-2006, 11:15 PM
Are you able to pay for the car in whole? If so, Kramer Mazda was the only dealership that offered my friend a "cash incentive" on a brand new Mazda 3 GT/GFX package. They were also willing to honor her graduate discount as well as throw in some "free" accessories such as tint, undercoat protection or the clear bra.

rockym20
05-06-2006, 11:59 PM
How about trying a dealership in another city? Try Lethbridge, Red Deer, and Edmonton.

clem24
05-08-2006, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by carzcraz
They were also willing to honor her graduate discount

Graduate discounts are always ABOVE and BEYOND what was negotiated with the dealer. The thing about the grad rebates is that they are offered by Mazda Canada, not by the dealer (same goes for Toyota). So because in the end it doesn't affect the dealer, it also shouldn't affect the deal. And they should come right out and say this.

If they try to tell you they can't offer a further discount because of the graduate offer, then just walk away.

The only thing about negotiations is that you many dealers are assholes and won't listen to you until they know you are really serious about buying.

Try this: my father in law wanted to buy an Odyssey. So instead of going around to all the dealerships, he just called around, had a price in mind, and asked if they were willing to sell. If no, then call the next one. In this case, I believe it was Honda West that complied.

Or instead of trying to ask for a big discount, why not get them to throw in some freebies? For a Mazda 3 GT, you'll probably need some decent winter tires. See if they'll throw in some winters plus steelies. That's worth about $800 there.